Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With GW2 live is any other game worth a sub?

Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Some seem to think GW2 only sells because it has no monthly fee.

In my opinion there are loads of games that have no sub fees and only have a box price that simply don't sell.

Additionally I don't see any game that is worth a sub when I can play GW2 without spending anything.

What about you?

Is there any game that is worth a sub now that you can play GW2?

Edit: Poll has a typo - life should read live.

Currently playing: GW2
Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Comments

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Of course. I haven't played these games, but, if they don't end up failing (in the sense of sucking), i'd happily pay a sub.

NeverWinter- It's F2P, but i'd pay a sub option to have everything. Of course, these is because of the Foundry, which will depend on the community. If the game's good, and a dedicated and imaginative playerbase is present, i'd have no problems.

Archeage and The Repopulation- Being sandboxes, i'd actually rather, again, pay a sub and not have to deal with a cash shop.

Potentially Titan, EQ Next or WOD, if they're great too.

Honestly, i think that any mmorpg that is good enough, for me of course, and is built for longevity so that i play it for a long time, i'd have no problems with a sub.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I currently have a sub to EvE and will be keeping it.

WoW has proved that people WILL pay a monthly fee for a game. I don't think GW2 will stop the subsciption model entirely.

Subsciptions are not a big deal for me, being a working adult I can easily afford it. Some of my friends choose to sub to a gym, I prefer subbing to a game.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    yes absolutely . there are way better games coming in the future than gw2
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Thralia
    yes absolutely . there are way better games coming in the future than gw2

I was thinking more about current landscape with maybe near future.

Additionally, a better future game might not have a sub either.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• sugar4freesugar4free Member Posts: 26

Potentially maybe

Theoretically possible

Practically     N O !

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    I have a sub on TSW, and I'm not canceling it anytime soon...
  • GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I'd like to say TSW, but really...

No

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Right now? No, not for me. In the future? Maybe. WoD and Archeage look promising, although we know very little about WoD and AA seems to have very bland combat.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Depends on your tastes and playing style, I guess.

For me, for example, with GW2 there's probably no other fantasy MMO that I'd pay a sub for a while at least.

However, because of the setting/atmosphere/story, I'd definitively pay a sub for The Secret World, at least until I run out of pre endgame PVE content (dungeons, quests, main storyline), which some people did in 1 month, but with the amount of time I play would probably take me 3 or more months. Actually, if I could is what I would be doing right now (can't because of Venezuelan laws that put a limit on how much I can spend online every year, and this year with upgrading my computer I almost ran out of it, so unsubbed for a couple months for TSW while I play GW2).

Some people that might like GW2 might most likely also spend subs on completely unrelated games, like EVE.

Other people might keep sub games for things those games offer that GW2 doesn't (like instanced raiding in WoW or Rift)

One thing's for sure... GW2 can become an industry changer, since it's a game with a box price not more expensive than most other MMOs are when released, with the quality expected of a sub game (I know this is subjective) and without a monthly sub and without the restrictions that F2P titles have for free users. That will make it harder for any future MMO coming out to justify charging for a monthly sub.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

You have to remember what you lose without a sub.

ArenaNET has stated that they plan on spending less than 80% in support costs compared to other games with a sub. That means:

• No ingame GM support
    • No phone support
    • Less than stellar email support

http://gigaom.com/2006/10/26/guild-wars/

You also get most of the new content in paid expansions and a cash shop for everything from extra bank/inventory to keys to open loot boxes.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Any game that gives you more then 10  to 15 hours of fun a week is worth a sub

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by tyfon

ArenaNET has stated that they plan on spending less than 80% in support costs compared to other games with a sub. That means:

• No ingame GM support
    • No phone support

You also get most of the new content in paid expansions and a cash shop for everything from extra bank/inventory to keys to open loot boxes.

The majority of content in most sub fee games also comes in paid expansions.

And the cash shop has also been debated.

You also need to remember what one gains by not having a sub.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i'm subbed to EQ2 until the end of the year but currently playing GW2 instead

not sure if ill cancel it when it expires, but only because I like having variety of what I play

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

B2P appears to have become a built-in excuse for a lack of meaningful content at endgame, horrible customer service, broken systems, and a general lack of player longevity.

Of course there are games worth a sub.

TSW is worth a sub.

EvE is worth a sub.

There are many others.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

• No ingame GM support
    • No phone support

EVE: "Free" expansions. You never pay more than the sub.

Rift: Bi-montly free content updates

TSW: Montly (hopefully) content updates. So far they had to delay one of them due to the restructuring.

What do you gain by not having a sub? What parts of the game has improved as a result of not paying a sub?

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Once PS2 launches im not sure i'll have the time for any other mmo and doubtful i'll have an active sub to any other game for a while now.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    No, and to me there weren't any worth a sub before GW2 either.
  • grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    I said no because I do not believe that MMOs should have subs at all.  Then again, I don't believe the sub model is actually the best model for MMOs anymore anyways.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

• No ingame GM support
    • No phone support

EVE: "Free" expansions. You never pay more than the sub.

Rift: Bi-montly free content updates

TSW: Montly (hopefully) content updates. So far they had to delay one of them due to the restructuring.

What do you gain by not having a sub? What parts of the game has improved as a result of not paying a sub?

First they aren't free.

You pay a sub.

Second I've never had any problems with Anet and NCSOFT support.

Third there are sub games that you have "free" content updates every few months (like 9 or so).

Fourth, there is no content lock or forced slow downs.

Fifth to early to say if GW2 doesn't have free content update.

Sixth, money you spend in the game give you something straight away.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Really good at medium or big budget sized sandbox  or sandpark game without any CS, rmah or gold selling (like plex'es) and with good support that would ban sellers, bots and fix exploits fast.

For that I would pay sub happily.

• CeleustaCeleusta Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I don't have any problem with a sub if I enjoy a game. While I'm having a lot of fun with GW2 now, I will continue to subscribe to and play EVE for the foreseeable future. It's still my favorite MMO all these years later and the depth and scope it offers I haven't found in any other titles. It's a completely different animal than GW2, and I'm glad both games can exist in the market.
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Without GW2 I don't think any game is worth a sub.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

EVE Online is still worth a subscription.

Only due to being radically different than GW2.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I'm keeping my TSW sub, no doubt.

When in doubt, troll.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

for me "yes".

I believe in paying people who entertain me and I also believe in getting value for my money. If the game I am playing has a sub AND I believe it's of worth to me I'll pay the measley $15 per month.

I mean heck, I pay 11.00 each day for my lunch when I'm at work.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo