Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be honest, would you keep playing if Guild Wars 2 had subscriptions?

SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

We all know how good of a deal it seems, you pay once, play for life.

It seems most people I have spoken to, still play and will play it mostly because it has no monthly fees and not so much because it is a VERY good game. The game is plagued with bugs and service failures, so I have to wonder if we would all be saying good things if this game had a subscription.

But how many of you would keep playing this if it had subscription?

Do you think this game is good enough to have one? 

Thanks!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Yes i would susbcribe for couple of months. That is the longest i can play any MMO. I would come back and sub on ocassion every few months to see progress.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Game is a step back from GW1 imo...I can't stand it

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Finding it hard enough to log on as it is... i would not have even brought the game if it had a sub..

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Yes!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by afhn2110
    Game is a step back from GW1 imo...I can't stand it

What? how is that even possible? in terms of design ofcourse.

• rich9995rich9995 Member UncommonPosts: 25

I'd probably play $10/month just for the pvp

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Are you kidding?  I paid for Cataclsym, GW2 is worth a sub more than that... however, I still selected the last option.  I'm over subscriptions.  They don't equal a better product by default like some people think.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I wont even play now and its free ather purchase.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Yes i would susbcribe for couple of months. That is the longest i can play any MMO. I would come back and sub on ocassion every few months to see progress.

same for me

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

No.

But that is because I don't play subscription based games anymore. GW2 does offer the quality of subbased games though imo.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

I think the game is better than GW1 in some aspects, but their need to innovate and re-design, created many more flaws that upset gamers rather than giving us something we have grown to know and love.

It also upset me the lack of professionalism and management of the service failures.

For example:

- They should have made at the very least an app like Blizzard's authenticator to avoid account theft. This in fact should be standard for any new big MMO.

- The recover password services got way too overused and they did not implement a backup question to allow only the people who know the account, to recover or change password.

- Trading post is vital for the games economy, yet it is consistently offline.

- Stopping game sales to hold down the population. Are you serious? lol

Etc... so many things they should have gotten ready for the launch. I dont think there is too much of an excuse really.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

The title asks idf i would keep playing if GW2 had a monthly fee.

Answer is yes, I'm enjoying myself quite a bit so far.

The poll questions asks if the game is worthy enough to have a sub.

Answer is, i have no idea really, I'm only 2 (?) weeks into it.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

I would have cancelled my subscription the first day once i realized there was nothing in the game but heart quests and DE's.  The games system reminds me too much of that last Final fantasy MMO where there were no quests just those stupid guild leves.  There's no content in this game and leveling becomes a chore that requires you to craft just to slightly keep up with he areas your in.  One stupid quest for each level and then a bunch of random walking around.  I don't feel compelled at all to explore because i know i'll run into a bunch of mobs i have to kill that give almost zero experience for killing.  I feel absolutely no desire to go explore that cave over there because what's the point?  The half hour i'll be in there i'll get maybe a bubble of experience and for what? 

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.  I can't beleive this game was in development for this long.  Would it really have been that hard to put a few quests in there just to give you some kind of reason to explore the world other than seeing another cave or another field?

If this game had a subscription, it would be a massive failure.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

The game is solid for what it is, but I don't see a point to paying to put  time into it. The reason MMOs could always get away with simple game mechanics was because there was a reason to become more powerful. These days, there really isn't. I was also concerned that I hadn't joined a guild going into the game. I thought that I'd miss out on an important Social aspect and would enjoy the game far less because of it, however I honestly can't see how grouping with other players works in this game. It's too easy as it is, and having another person with you feels like overkill.

I figure that maybe in five or ten years when technology reaches a point that it won't be too difficult or expensive to make MMOs we'll see the UO branch of MMORPGs start growing again.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

No MMO has ever been made that would be worthy of monthly sub as high as they set them. However GW2 comes closest to that, but still.

No, I never have and never will pay for a monthly fee, because I think it's a ripoff, no matter how good the game is.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Yes.

I intend to use some money in the cash shop for stuff like character slots and bank expansions anyway.

This game is more worthy of a monthly feee than most if not all subscriptions based games released these last years.

But of course, a subscription would involve the removal of the cash shop... ;)

Originally posted by vanderghast

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.

What is "almost criminal" is to spread such misinformation about the game. GW2 has more content at release than many MMOs have years after their release.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Ridden with bugs and system failures? What

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I would have cancelled my subscription the first day once i realized there was nothing in the game but heart quests and DE's.  The games system reminds me too much of that last Final fantasy MMO where there were no quests just those stupid guild leves.  There's no content in this game and leveling becomes a chore that requires you to craft just to slightly keep up with he areas your in.  One stupid quest for each level and then a bunch of random walking around.  I don't feel compelled at all to explore because i know i'll run into a bunch of mobs i have to kill that give almost zero experience for killing.  I feel absolutely no desire to go explore that cave over there because what's the point?  The half hour i'll be in there i'll get maybe a bubble of experience and for what? 

The game is so light on content it's almost criminal.  I can't beleive this game was in development for this long.  Would it really have been that hard to put a few quests in there just to give you some kind of reason to explore the world other than seeing another cave or another field?

This pretty much is exactly how I feel about the game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The game would be worthy of a sub but only if they changed all the mechics in the game that encourage the cash shop. And that includeds vanity items. If you want $15/mo, I want access to every single pixel you offer. Mothinly sub means equal opportunity for all players. Standard exception being collectors edition vanity items.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Yeh, I guess the developers are well aware of the fact that their game gets dull for many players within the first month who wouldn't pay for another month. The fact that the game had a higher box price (55 EUR) and no subscription means the developers didn't really believe in the longevity of their game. This is like a very cheap "lifetime" offer.

REALITY CHECK

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Umm DEs and Hearts are quest... try talking to some NPCs. Some start DEs that anyone can join in on later. Talk to them again after your DE is finished, theres follow ups sometimes. 

Honestly though, how can you say there aren't quest? 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Honest question. Do you even play this game? 

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Yes I would pay for a sub to GW2. It's a solid mmo and I love the casual game design approach.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

I doubt he still plays the game but its obvious that he has played the game. Even you can see that if you play. He is totally right about everything he said about the game.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

Right, people have been clammoring for a different way to do things, and the first time it happens, those who cried saying "I want a game that doesn't spoon feed me quest" Or "I am tired of quest hubs" turn around like little children.

You can't blow through stuff in this game. If you see some NPC's talking, you have to listen, cause they may be talking about something going on nearby. I saw some people talking about the water didn't look clean, and I had to travel across the zone to see bandits destroying the water tower. I didn't click on someone who said please go save our water tower, nor did I stumble upon it by accident, although I have stumbled into other situations by accident. Thats content. Thats a new way to do questing, and if you don't get it, sorry your dumb.

I try not to be too fanboyish, but seriously, this game did alot of things different. If you have been complaining about wanting something different, and say this is just same old same old, you the kind of person who would complain if somone hung you with a new rope.