Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my thoughts so far .... its an ok side game but thats about it.

Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Well even though i pre purchased i decided early not to touch beta or any acess until head start so it was as "fresh" for me as possible at launch, due to issues and IRL stuff i didnt really even play till just before it released , i did a fair ammount of research into the this game and after a while realised it probabaly wasnt going to hold me but as i havent had a sub to any game for longer than a 2 months in the last 4 years ( rift ) i was kinda hoping to get sucked in and hooked, the last game to fail this for me was Tera xD

Ive been a gamer for well over 20 years and spent 14+ in MMO's .

So firstly i will say this, GW2 has many many things that are above well done in fact i feel like quite a few parts of the game are close to perfect, i found the actual combat realy realy nice, it flows well and adding dodge to tab targetting seems to remove that ultra clunky slow feeling i had in Tera/RaiderZ both of which utilise the aiming system but feel soooo sluggish. I personally cant really see why people complain about the combat side of things and its one of the few things thats kept me coming back for an hour or 2 a day.

The last sentance there just about sums up the rest though, apart from 1 day where i spent a good 5 or 6 hours immersed in the game world the most ive been able to or wanted to play without getting ultra bored is 2 hours.

There are a number of combined reasons for this but for me personally the biggest issue so far has been how anti social this game is for a "mmorpg" , honestly in the first 30 lvls i was not in 1 actual group for anything,  i ran about clearing zones with umpteen other people doing the same thing and the most talking ive seen between people is a "ty" for being ressed, map chat was either people talking about random crap, giving away free items or once in a very small while asking for people to do a group event, whilst they do make questing a little less tiresome these DE's are wayyyy to simple and repetative, they dont require you to interact with the other people in the area, you just zerg/protect/gather whatever is needed as a group of individuals with no need to communicate and the other but ton of options to gain more than enough exp to lvl make the need to do so ,much smaller. It really feels like a solo player game where you canbring your own friends/guild , if your someone who likes to just join a new game/server and adventure around doing things meeting people via group content then youll most likely not meet alot of people.

Part of this aspect in other games was also to gauge others players personality and skill levels and your want to party up with them in the future... this also doesnt exist in GW2 for me as all DEs require no skill or communication once more than a few players turn up and given how new the game is theres always been plenty around when i did events.

My other biggest problem is theres just no real sense of achievement for anything, no gear grind ?ok then so ill work on being a sought after crafter..... oh wait thats also pointless not for the items you can craft but for the fact that each person has individual nodes to gather, this was a great concept except for 2 things, the Worldwide trading post and the %95 of people who dont craft at all, all the crafting materials are in more supply than one could ever imagine for a MMO launch and the whole idea of crafting being hard work gathering and grinding is totally blown to shit lvling your crafting isnt een a challenge of much or does is serve as much other than an exp gain in the end as there is just wayyyyyy to many materials out there for sale and anyone who has some $ can just drop x ammount on gems, trade them for gold in the Ah and max out the crafting professions.

I dunno i just cant find any real drive to play this for more than short time spans, the pvp is ok but not good enough to make me wanna rush home and log in..... also the masses who believe this PvP for some reason takes anymore skill than other games turns me off it quite a bit, if you want skill based pvp go play tera cause really thats much more " skill " based than any other game out there, gear rarely beats skill in AAA sub based mmo's and you always use an argument that seems to make it out that no one of equal gear ever fights each other.... for real the PvP here is cool but your kidding yourself if you think it requires more skill than many games like WoW/Rift/Aion and especially Tera.

I will continue to play a few hours a day till i can get that feeling of  only wanting to sleep 3 hours a night AND work full time but GW2 just doesnt do it for me, i could have mentioned alot more positive and negative things but these are my main personal issues.

Comments

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Thralia
    [mod edit]

Lol you were here first though.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I brought lotro as a side game 5 years ago . I've ended up playing it more than any other mmo . As for GW2 I've just started playing it I think it will probably be my main mmo because I've spent a lot of money recently and will have ecconomise in the coming year .

Given I can play this and lotro for free ( lifetime sub ) they will be my main games for the next six month or so .

Rift is about the only p2play mmo that I would want to sub to nowdays . WoW is shadow of its former self . Warhammers been left to languish with a small community and rare updates .EVE isnt my sort of game at all . Tera I just hated plain and simple , TSW seemed ok but theres no way I would pay the inflated subscriptions for it in the UK . And most of the freemium games are fun but again not really worth a regular sub .

Nothing under development at present seems to be worth a sub to me as well and if theres more buy to play after this I think I will in future be playing mmos like I do single player games . Several at a time . I have no main single player game and I doubt if I will have a main mmo .

So just lots of side games in the future . I don't think I ll be alone .

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

A good post.  I'll agree with trader portion above any else.

The trader scheme that is implemented seems a bit awkward.  The interface is weird.  It's not clear what I will be charged upon selling anything.  Buying stuff is awkward too, because I just enter information about what I want to buy, without any mention about WHO I want to buy it from.  I like GW2 over WoW, but sorry GW2 ... WoW did a better AH.

The antisocial part can be taken for whatever you make of it.  I personally found that the game is just as anti-social as other similar games, but the community was helpful.  For instance, I casually asked where to find the trade brokers in my zone and I got a response showing the location.  My question for this or other questions didn't go unheard .. people out there are willing to help.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157

Well said, I actually agree with you. I'm feeling the same way.

I find I can only play for short periods as well, otherwise the boredom simply overwhelms me.

I think my biggest gripe is with the 'level scaling', I just don't feel like I'm getting any stronger or better as I progress through the game.

So I think I'll stop playing GW2 for awhile and go back to Aion for a bit. I'm sure the Devs are reading all the feedback and I hope they tweak a few things in the coming months.

I'll give it another try in a month or so.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I have no issue with 99% of your post OP.

Except that Guild wars 2 pvp doesn't take more skill than other MMOs bit.

In WvW you are right, its like any other mmo. Numbers + better gear = win. Most of the time.

However, In sPVP everyone is the same level, has the same gear and teams have even sides.

sPVP is the "eSport" stuff, ultra skill based because it tosses crap like levels and gear out the window. 

No other MMO does that, actually GW2 sPVP is as skill based as other multiplayer games in other genres like FPS, RTS and Fighting. It's on an entirely different level than what MMO pvp is on.

Maybe you've yet to participate in sPVP? 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Have you tried out the various WvW or dungeon or PvP?

Btw if your achievement equate into grinding the game to be more powerful than other player then gw2 is not the game for you. Gw2 have plenty of ahievement which is meaningful for people who doesn't like elitism in a game.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    GW2 is a fun game and from your post it seems that you are enjoying it too. So i guess all is well then? i mean having FUN is all that matters right?
  • Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by channel84

Btw if your achievement equate into grinding the game to be more powerful than other player then gw2 is not the game for you. Gw2 have plenty of ahievement which is meaningful for people who doesn't like elitism in a game.

Your version of elitism and mine are different i guess, to me elitists crunch numbers, work out the maximum they can gain from their toon via stats/skills/rotations for pve and pvp. it just so happens in many games alot of stats come from gear which is needed to progress, to the next tier in PVE games, im willing to bet GW2 is full of elitists..... its just that GW2 doesn have raid based gear progression for stats this does not mean that there is no one out there maxing out their toons to its fullest potential.

This is exactly what the ' E-Sports' idea will equate to and ultimately lead to even more elitism......trying to deny this is pure stupidity. Anyone making claims that GW2 is an anit elitist game is really being naive when you look at it from the E-Sport side of things alone.

WvWvW = zergfest i had enough of that back in Aion and it bores me.

My sense of achievement is that my character is going somewhere, with content all scaling to level and everything i already mentioned about DE's nuthing ever feels different, even the exp needed to lvl up has barely changed making it feel even less like im going anywhere, when they said the whole game is endgame they really meant it, which is fine for some but i think many many people will tire of it quickly,  the concept of only really having skins to be unique was a mistake to as they will become common and then no one will even stand out.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Another person that pretty much nailed it on the head. I dont even consider this game a mmo. 
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Medicated03

Your version of elitism and mine are different i guess, to me elitists crunch numbers, work out the maximum they can gain from their toon via stats/skills/rotations for pve and pvp. it just so happens in many games alot of stats come from gear which is needed to progress, to the next tier in PVE games, im willing to bet GW2 is full of elitists..... its just that GW2 doesn have raid based gear progression for stats this does not mean that there is no one out there maxing out their toons to its fullest potential.

This is exactly what the ' E-Sports' idea will equate to and ultimately lead to even more elitism......trying to deny this is pure stupidity. Anyone making claims that GW2 is an anit elitist game is really being naive when you look at it from the E-Sport side of things alone.

My sense of achievement is that my character is going somewhere, with content all scaling to level and everything i already mentioned about DE's nuthing ever feels different, even the exp needed to lvl up has barely changed making it feel even less like im going anywhere, when they said the whole game is endgame they really meant it, which is fine for some but i think many many people will tire of it quickly,  the concept of only really having skins to be unique was a mistake to as they will become common and then no one will even stand out.

That's where you're wrong. Because what you described are "theory-crafters", not "elitist". I'm a bit of a theory-crafter myself, as I spent quite a bit of time other the weekend, in the Mist, trying to find the most optimal rune set for my build. I don't see what's wrong with that as it is my way of getting the mileage out of the game and have fun doing what I do best. Theory-crafters also don't directly effect other players, in a negative sense. Now that is the elitist, who proclaim their way is the correct way and make it known. Now there have been many theorycrafters in GW2, heck the sPvP aspect is a theorcrafter's dream (well once they add DPS meters on the dummies), but I have yet to see any elitist in GW2.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I agree with the anti-social; there is no chat between players and no need for other players.

But isn't that the same in other mmorpg's?

I get the feeling you need a carrot. I don't think there is really one in GW2. You play for fun and that's it.

Perhaps when the initial rush is cooled down and players are ore evenly spread across the map you coud try finding and doing events. Right now events are like hearts; you get a pop up and away you go.

But in a while you can find events yourself and trigger them follow the story, etc.which should be quit fun.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by thekid1

I agree with the anti-social; there is no chat between players and no need for other players.

Actually there's a ton of socializing to be had in this game. You just have to be social yourself, which a lot of people who complain about the lack of socializing in MMOs, seems to forget. I'm a social player and in return, I have a lot of interesting social interactions. Like just a few hours ago...

I just finished the Level 40+ dungeon and I noticed in chat that some random individual was giving away crafted rings. So I whispered the person and received a free ring upgrade. Feeling good about what I just got, I gave the person some delicious chocolate cherry cake that I crafted. The person made a joke about being too low level to eat the cake so I gave away some White cake. From then we just spent a while cracking jokes and exchanging crafted items and now I've got a new contact. All just from replying to some random gift, with a gift of my own. That's just today and there have been many times in this game where some random exchange led to some interesting social moments. The ad-hoc grouping plus revive feature has got me several levelling buddies.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Master10K

Actually there's a ton of socializing to be had in this game. You just have to be social yourself, which a lot of people who complain about the lack of socializing in MMOs, seems to forget. I'm a social player and in return, I have a lot of interesting social interactions. Like just a few hours ago...

I just finished the Level 40+ dungeon and I noticed in chat that some random individual was giving away crafted rings. So I whispered the person and received a free ring upgrade. Feeling good about what I just got, I gave the person some delicious chocolate cherry cake that I crafted. The person made a joke about being too low level to eat the cake so I gave away some White cake. From then we just spent a while cracking jokes and exchanging crafted items and now I've got a new contact. All just from replying to some random gift, with a gift of my own. That's just today and there have been many times in this game where some random exchange led to some interesting social moments. The ad-hoc grouping plus revive feature has got me several levelling buddies.

I had a similar experience. Since trade was down people were asking to trade over chat. Guy send me to much so I returned the favor and gave him a 8 slot bag.

This only happened off course because of the Trade house being down.

I think that was the op's point; you do not NEED to interact with other people; so most people choose not to.

Lamenting about the lack of "achievement" feel in gw2 compare to other game that promote powercurve threadmill style progression while at the same time implying that you like theory crafting more than power grinding is kinda knocking urself over. Suggesting that a game providing a balance and competitive pvp is promoting elitism? Maybe providing unbalance or geared-based pvp is more toward your style ^^ If not please feel free to provide alternative to make it less elitism. Thou i'm tempted to question your rational and perhaps intellect but comparing WvW to aion abyss hightlighted the point that i can't take you seriously.

Originally posted by Mannish
    Another person that pretty much nailed it on the head. I dont even consider this game a mmo. 

From your various post in guild wars 2 forum, we know that you hate the game. Give it a rest and stop lurking in places that you hate, it's not healthy ^^

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

My sense of achievement is destroying someone that does not rely on there gear, knowing that it was my skill against that of another brings the game to another level,  I absolutely love this game..  Enough said.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Mannish

From your various post in guild wars 2 forum, we know that you hate the game. Give it a rest and stop lurking in places that you hate, it's not healthy ^^

Hmmm, from YOUR various posts it seems like you spent a lot of time over on the SWTOR forums when that game was about to launch.  Hypocritical much?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I thought this might happen with this game and mentioned it a year or so ago. Gw2 plays like a very well made action/adventure game within an mmo environment. Great game, but i dont think a lot of people are going to settle in this one for the long haul. I love ninja gaiden black. Would i play it for three years? Hell no. Will i play it for about 10-20 hours once a year? Absolutely. Will this type of game last as an mmorpg? Niche market but thats about the best case scenario. I just dont see millions of people playing the same online action game for years. More like weeks, possibly a few months tops for the majority.

Lamenting about the lack of "achievement" feel in gw2 compare to other game that promote powercurve threadmill style progression while at the same time implying that you like theory crafting more than power grinding is kinda knocking urself over. Suggesting that a game providing a balance and competitive pvp is promoting elitism? Maybe providing unbalance or geared-based pvp is more toward your style ^^ If not please feel free to provide alternative to make it less elitism. Thou i'm tempted to question your rational and perhaps intellect but comparing WvW to aion abyss hightlighted the point that i can't take you seriously.

I was referring to castle sieges .... zerg is zerg no matter how you spell it or say it WvW is currently still zergfest.

Powercurve treadmills have 0 to do with the fact that from lvl 1-80 everything is the same, that right there takes away my felling of progressing on a personal level why do people here only have the one carrot on a stick argument....

Now i dont really understand your reply, i didnt imply i like anything more or less, as it stands theorycrafting is done to make your toon the BEST it can be in the end this results in making it making it ELITE , what is the point of an E-Sport ? you COMPETE to be THE BEST, that is elitism at its peak....... The WoW hate is so obvious here and funny i dont even have a sub and havent for 4 years but all games have elite players GW1 was full of them GW2 is full of them, just because people arent running around saying you need gear X.Y.Z to go to A.B.C doesnt remove the elite concepts from a game , if your so blinded that your only version of elite is some jerk felxing his epeen then i pity you.

See the underlined part , why do you all push this argument ? its so redundant.....for example, fighting in the top tier arena in wow VS the battlegrounds are 2 totally different situations, you constanly reference things that only really occur in open world pvp/battleground situations where gear/level will vary, yet compare it to Spvp ?sure WvW is a more balanced version of BG but still where is your logic ? ........ dont compare open world PvP/BG to structured arenas that other games have and maybe you would have a valid point...... im yet to see a game where classes are balanced for pvp and i don tthink GW2 has done that either, using the same old everything is equal argument totally out of context is freaking annouying.

No in GW2 i  cant walk into a lvl 40 area at cap and gank lowbies but guess what you cant do that in structured pvp either.....

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Master10K

I had a similar experience. Since trade was down people were asking to trade over chat. Guy send me to much so I returned the favor and gave him a 8 slot bag.

This only happened off course because of the Trade house being down.

I think that was the op's point; you do not NEED to interact with other people; so most people choose not to.

Same here. People are chatting on Map, doing WTS, WTB, LFG and LFM on hearts and boss DE, seeking advice on how to reach a vista, and POIs. Even on the overflow server. It's pretty much the same when I was playing WoW, DCUO, etc.

The anti-social MMO argument is void. You need people to socialize and it needs to start from yourself.

I was referring to castle sieges .... zerg is zerg no matter how you spell it or say it WvW is currently still zergfest.

Powercurve treadmills have 0 to do with the fact that from lvl 1-80 everything is the same, that right there takes away my felling of progressing on a personal level why do people here only have the one carrot on a stick argument....

Now i dont really understand your reply, i didnt imply i like anything more or less, as it stands theorycrafting is done to make your toon the BEST it can be in the end this results in making it making it ELITE , what is the point of an E-Sport ? you COMPETE to be THE BEST, that is elitism at its peak....... The WoW hate is so obvious here and funny i dont even have a sub and havent for 4 years but all games have elite players GW1 was full of them GW2 is full of them, just because people arent running around saying you need gear X.Y.Z to go to A.B.C doesnt remove the elite concepts from a game , if your so blinded that your only version of elite is some jerk felxing his epeen then i pity you.

See the underlined part , why do you all push this argument ? its so redundant.....for example, fighting in the top tier arena in wow VS the battlegrounds are 2 totally different situations, you constanly reference things that only really occur in open world pvp/battleground situations where gear/level will vary, yet compare it to Spvp ?sure WvW is a more balanced version of BG but still where is your logic ? ........ dont compare open world PvP/BG to structured arenas that other games have and maybe you would have a valid point...... im yet to see a game where classes are balanced for pvp and i don tthink GW2 has done that either, using the same old everything is equal argument totally out of context is freaking annouying.

No in GW2 i  cant walk into a lvl 40 area at cap and gank lowbies but guess what you cant do that in structured pvp either.....

Provide balance pvp = complain that e sport promote elitism

Provide huge battle siege with supply line and no lag gameplay = complain that it's a zerg fest

Provide theorycrafting without grinding involve = complain that there's no meaning to doing playing the game

Provide achievement not tied to elitism = complain that there's no sense of achievement.

Part of my previous post which u underline highlight the above mentality of your argument. And the question is, what do you want? Every point you highlighted in your argument is contradictory to each other. Example, saying that you love theorycrafting min max and not elitism, but when gw2 provide you the option to theorycraft minus the elitism and grind you start complaining the lack "achievement" in the game.

Provide balance pvp = complain that e sport promote elitism

Provide huge battle siege with supply line and no lag gameplay = complain that it's a zerg fest

Provide theorycrafting without grinding involve = complain that there's no meaning to doing playing the game

Provide achievement not tied to elitism = complain that there's no sense of achievement.

Part of my previous post which u underline highlight the above mentality of your argument. And the question is, what do you want? Every point you highlighted in your argument is contradictory to each other. Example, saying that you love theorycrafting min max and not elitism, but when gw2 provide you the option to theorycraft minus the elitism and grind you start complaining the lack "achievement" in the game.

Please read my original post and then my replies to others comments about elitism... simply put fanbois try to say this is an anti elitist game which is clearly will not be as an E-Sport, secondly WvW is a zergfest as plenty of people have posted about this already stop trying to twist what i say and nice evasion of the other games PvP situations..... go play GW2 stop tryin to troll peoples opinons on your new wife....