Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

Comments

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Yes. I've played GW1 since release, I've played trough Prophecies and Factions campaignes, I bought EotN, but only played it  for a week, just before the release of GW2. I also bought "Ghosts of Ascalon" novel shortly before release. Beside beeing interested in Guild Wars story, I was also looking forward to GW2, becouse, for me, there was no fun MMO to play since LotRO, and I always liked bothe single player RPGs and MMORPGs.

Do you currently play this game?:

Sure. I pre-ordered and began to play on August 27th

If yes, please explain why:

Becouse it's fun? So far , at least. The best parts for me are:

- graphics / art style and music / sounds (the best I've experienced in a MMORPG since LotRO, probably best ever)

- world size and details ( huge cities, a lot of diveristy between zones, NPCs that talk, walk and feel "real", a lot of humor, hidden places, jumping puzzles, et cetera)

- very nice environment for roleplaying (story, world, customization options). Sadly, there is no official [RP] server, but it's not  mandatory to be able to find other people who enjoy roleplaying and have fun.

- PvP; sPvP and WvW are very different, but they are both very fun (or at least they seem to be, so far)

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

I'm still on a free month for TSW ( I bought it to play while waiting on GW2 :P)

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

There are no official GW2 forums and MMORPG.com is a nice site.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,.

Yes, interested to get to know more about the game

No

--

I'm waiting to see what the state of the game is around a month or so. This is because all reviews of SWTOR were great, but the game turned out to be quite bad once the leveling was done. Also I'm currently playing another MMO (WoW) and I'd like to finish my current character leveling/I'm far from being bored there.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
    World of Warcraft - Been interested in WoW before, but decided to purchase SWTOR earlier. Now I'm done with that one, so moved on.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic - Still subscribed due to 3-month plan. I hop in regularly to chat and hang out with guildies.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
    Actually I've never posted here, I'm just a forum lurker. Then I saw this post. If would post it'd be a question about said game.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

No, not especially. I was never a fan of the first Guild Wars, so I expected this to be more of the same (it isn't).

No.

I tried one of the beta weekends, but wasn't impressed. It's a good, solid game...but it's not different enough for me to jump into.

Wakfu and Ryzom. They're both fun, well-made titles that are very unique compared to most other titles.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I try to stay away from this subforum, but the obnoxious amount of traffic here means it's constantly cluttering up the active topics list, which is super annoying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: I'm editing this post as two of my answers have recently changed.

No, not especially. I was never a fan of the first Guild Wars, so I expected this to be more of the same (it isn't).

Yes

I initially wasn't going to, but several friends have been begging me to play with them, so I caved in and bought the game.

Wakfu. It's a fun, well-made title that is very unique compared to most other titles. It also has more character than any online game I've played.

I try to stay away from this subforum, but the obnoxious amount of traffic here means it's constantly cluttering up the active topics list, which is super annoying.

<3

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I followed development for a few years (and have over 1000 posts on Guru to prove it), GW2 looked very interesting and seemed to have a novel approach to the tired old MMO formula. 

Do you currently play this game?: No.

If no, please explain why: I'm not happy with the payment model, as the cash shop was supposed to be purely cosmetic, but ended up being P2W. In addition, when I actually got to play the game during a beta event, I didn't find it all that revolutionary. I guess it just didn't grab me - the dynamic events are just the same old MMO quests in disguise, the story is sub-par and the combat feels very spammy.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: I'm currently playing The Secret World, which I wasn't all that excited about originally, but it actually turned out to be everything that GW2 is not (this includes some things I don't like, but the good outweighs the bad). 

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I don't post here much, but I still like to keep an eye on the games I've followed for a while to see how they're doing.  
  • zephyrszephyrs Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: I'd would label myself as cautiously optimistic. Given my caution towards hype, was slightly interesting in this game during development. The game has had a lot of hype going for it, let's face it, many mmorpgs due and most don't live up that hype.
    Do you currently play this game?: NO

If no, please explain why: I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to the game. I think people get lured into buying stuff too often by basing their purchases on hype.  Even now I think people's opinions on the game are quite polarized as either loving it or hating it. I want to give the game and it's players some time before I put a lot of stock in player reviews and make a purchase decision.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I post only when I have a question, which is rarely. I'm pretty good at gathering information from available sources. The only reason I posted in this thread is that I asked a question in another and am waiting for a reply.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

Yes, I enjoyed GW1 so Gw2 seemed logical

Yes

Because it's fun

Only GW2, I only play any game if it is fun

Alcohol

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I'm interested in most new MMO's before release. I got burned with SWTOR though so I was cautious not to pre-purchase and didn't play any beta events. I played GW1 briefly but at that time I was hooked on SWG so never really got into it.

Yes, I bit the bullet and pre-purchased the evening before release.

I like the opportunity to be able to jump right into PvP or take my time to level up my character in PvE. The B2P model is good in that I don't feel I've wasted money if I'm unable to play for any length of time, although I'm not against the subscription model if the game is good enough to support it.

I took a break from MMO's after SWTOR. I dabbled with the TERA and TSW betas and played a bit of DayZ. Although TERA and TSW were interesting, I think I'm just tired of the rush to level cap in order to PvP and the whole "quest hub" experience feels like a chore to me these days.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I haven't posted much in this forum, mainly because I lack knowledge of the game right now and have little to offer. I've had no bad experiences worth mentioning except that I really do need a new GPU for WvWvW.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

No. I didn't like GW1 and I'm not too fond of their business model . Also I'm sick of playing themepark MMOs.

No.

I might try the game for the PvP if I get bored with my current games.

Planetside 2 beta. I'm not an FPS fan but this game delivers more open world PvP goodness than any other real MMORPG on the market imo.

I don't play the game so I hardly ever post here.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I was early on until I beta tested the game. I realised then it was basically another themepark game and nothing really stood out other than the WvWvW PVP

Yes

I brought the game so I could join in the WvWvW PVP with my guild and for nothing else.

I just stopped playing darkfall, I love the FFA PVP in a massive open sandbox world. I mainly enjoy PVP in MMORPGs.

Bordem when im in work LOL :)

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

No.  just another themepark with a few bits tidied up and marketed the hell out of in order to appear new and exciting.  The hype didn't work on me.

No.

See question and answer number one above.  I will also add that the problems A-net are having at the moment with security and the number of  game mechanics that are broken I'm very happy that I didn't buy it. 

Not playing any atm.  Waiting on planetside 2.

Not posted here apart from attempting to help someone out with a hardware problem.  I watch this forum because the fun factor is higher than playing most MMO's.  The fanboi Vs Hater fight is hilarious.

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Slightly Interested due to the hype and good things I'd heard about GW1, slightly put off by the amouint of hype though it has to be said

Do you currently play this game?: Not regularly, have played a bit on my friends game to test it out to see if I'll part with the cash

If yes, please explain why: N/A

If no, please explain why: I haven't bought yet because I don't think the game will offer much at end game for PvE players. I've always been a bit meh about PvP and this game seems totally designed for people who love PvP. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Allods Online & Path of Exile. Allods because I think it has a great PvE system and I like the community on the EU server. Path of Exile because I like the feel of the game and wanted to support the devs.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? To see if my mind can be changed about PvE. I want to see how their CS is expanded in the coming 6-12 months as I feel they'll start adding more and more items that will be considered P2W. Coming from a game like Allods, where introducing such items almost ruined the game until the producer went back and fixed those issues, I'm interested to see what it will do here (mostly because of the hype and being a bit of an 'I Told You So' asshole)

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Yes. I've played Guild Wars and I love most everything I have experienced in it since the betas.
    Yes
    No other game grabs me like this one. I love the graphics, settings and game play.

All my other mmos are on hold for now.
    I'm interested in what people have to say.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: I had a mild interest. I played Guild Wars 1 and was not really impressed.

Do you currently play this game?:  No

If no, please explain why: I am going to wait for the dust to settle and let them get  most of the bugs solved then I will decide if I wll play.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None at the moment.  I got tired of all the immature crap on chat and general player behavior.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I have not posted on this subforum for the same reason I am not playing any MMO's.

• cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: No. I didn't like the first guild wars as it didnt feel like an mmorpg.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why: This game has taken everything i like about an mmorpg and made it better. Being an explorer in this game is great as the quests/events come to you depending on the area you are in.. no more gathering up quests. I like how each weapon you use gives you different spells too.

This game is great fun and doesn't cost a monthly subscription fee. Subscription fee games are dead imo.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Just gw2 now duh! lol nah i was playing the secret world there for a minute and world of warcraft every once in awhile. Little bit of Aion since its free now.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I mainly just check mmorpg.com for news and upcoming games. Rarely on the forums.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Not hugely interested.  I'd played GW and while I enjoyed the gameplay, I found the lack of persistent world and the movement restrictions off-putting.

Yes.

Because I bought it and it's good.  As I've posted elsewhere, I've been quite won over by this game, which I wasn't expecting much from - in fact, I'd thought it was likely to be over-hyped, but I'm finding it's that rare beast: a game that lives up to its hype.

Have recently played SWTOR and TSW (I enjoy both because of the VO-ed stories, also TSW's build system).

I post infrequently, usually only to participate in discussion about a game that's just been released.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Yes,been waiting for more than 5 years.

Finally...YES!

Has everything i wanted in a MMO (and more!)

cancelled all my MMOS subs months before GW2 released,due to boreness.

Now GW2 is the only MMO i´m playing.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Yes, Ive been following GW2 for years and Im very happy with it.

yes, every day

its fun, i can play at my own pace.I dont feel the need to follow the crowd in a mad rush to the end. I feel rewarded no matter what i choose to do.

n/a

GW2, see above

I dont post a lot in this forums as Im usually in game playing. A Good game doesnt need "defending" its worth speaks for itself as with GW2

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes because I'm a big fan of Guild Wars 1 and had high hopes, although they were realistic as I've been playing MMOs for more than half of my life.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes but it could have been a lot better. The outdated combat system is something I can deal with, but they need better a better defense macanic if they're going to get rid of a healer. You can't just take the healer out of a game that needs one without replacing it with something else that prevents you from easily dying over and over.

If yes, please explain why: I paid 60 dollars for it. It's not terrible, but with combat being 90% of what you do in this game, they should have really worked on this.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: City of Heroes because of its character creation. Second Life because I can make money with it and create things

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Talking about guild wars 2 is about as fun as playing. Take that anyway you like.
  • wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: yes, some what. all the buzz around peaks my interest some what

Do you currently play this game?: No

If yes, please explain why: Bought the orignal GW's and just never could get into it. Later bought one of the expansion packs and tried it again. I mihgt give GW2 a try in the future, just at this time im not ready drop that kind fo money on something I might not enjoy.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Eve Online, WoW, and STO they keep me entertained

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  Just happend to see it pass by in the current forum activity

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: On the fence. I didn't enjoy GW1. I liked the idea's GW2 promised, but was too burned out on other game's failed senses of hype that I never got too into it.

Do you currently play this game?: Absolutely.

If yes, please explain why: It's one of the very few MMO's that I can say leveling is a blast. The experience curve is so low that sometimes I'll have gained two levels before noticing! The polish this game recieved is well worth the $60 cover charge to experience this game. Dungeons and group content is, by far, the best I've played. I feel like I've ripped Anet off by not paying monthly for this.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: EvE; Enjoy the user-based sandbox experience.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? To listen to the opinions of others and attempt to find intelligent discussions on the games future.

[mod edit]

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• auz10auz10 Member Posts: 9
    Yes. I was interested in the game because it had some fresh concepts and ideas.

Yes.
    I play the game because I wanted an MMO with PvP I could jump right into without a large prior time commitment leveling up and collecting the best gear. A large, dynamic, explorable world for PvE was also a draw for me.

I am currently playing The Secret World and Lord of the Rings Online. I play TSW because it offers an amazing casual PvE experience and setting, and I enjoy the deck building nature of the skill wheel. I play LoTRO sparingly, and mostly out of nostalgia at this point. Had some great experiences in that game.

Arenanet does not current offer official game forums.
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Yes, however not because I thought it would be a killer MMO I would be happy to play forever but because I like ANet and enjoyed their last MMO.

Yes sometimes.

Because I have some time for a game yet don't wish to spend too much these days so a casual MMO works out pretty good, yet I am sad because this game feel quite shallow.

EVE Online: Because it's THE MMO. Nothing will ever beat it I believe, great freedom and a big community that isn't declining like most other MMOs do after just a month or less from launch.

Lineage 2: Because it has great group PVP which requires teamplay and dedication from a large group of players unlike most games of today.

Because I have some time over and it's funny to see if something new has happened which I might have missed.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  Yes, I was interested, partly because I play GW1 and partly I liked the look of the game mechanics.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes

If yes, please explain why:  Novelty, fun, lack of sub.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  LotRO, Champions Online, Age of Conan - it's always nice to have a change of pace, and I do not need to pay a monthly sub for these either.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I like the site, and post on other forums here too.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Yes, i am currently playing GW2, because it fullfills all my gaming needs. Its challenging and its fun. There is much more action then in most other MMO´s and its fastpaced.   Basically it challenges me to explore the world and enjoy the stories while they happen.

It cured my altitus. Just one character is enough to enjoy all and everything

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Mildly, I don't buy much into hype and from what I seen, if it was P2P monthly, I'd not really be interested in paying.

Do you currently play this game?: Yes

If yes, please explain why: Its something to do mostly. Its mildly fun, though it gets old quickly. Its pretty much a gap filler when I'm taking a break from other games while I wait for Rift: Storm Legion.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Ragnarok Online: Classic game I enjoy. Guildwars 2: Time filler.

Path of Exile: Really Enjoy the system in the game. D2 styled with great variety in builds and feeling rewarding to play. On and off due to it being closed beta (wipe expected).

Rift: Favorite game in some time. Best raid experience out there IMO. Mostly on the back burning due to having my main character completed PA wise and waiting for Expansion. Paying for it.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I feel the need to really give the facts rather then blind comments about the system. I feel like I need to 'bash' the game (or as someone not mesmorized by it might say, critisize) the game for its flaws when people gloat it as being perfect, while defending it for those mindlessly bashing it without even giving it points for its good side. While its not the best MMO I've played, it warrents enough attention to talk about and I do hope they do learn from their mistakes and improve on it like many MMos should. While I doubt I'll ever focus solely on playing this game (combat system is just to clunky and far to simple for me) its still something I can see me rarely picking up in the future to play once in a blue moon.