Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where I lost interest in coh

First, it was the game in general. I loved the ice monsters attacking the main city but really disliked the leveling in general and the overall feeling of boredom I felt and the anti-friendly attitude of the general population (don't worry, I get that in most mmo's). Then when the 'design your own scenarios' feature came into the game I was back with a vengeance only to find that it was mostly a tool of exploitation and not a creative effort. Then came too many superhero games followed by just too many mmo's in general. Many mmo's will follow COH's fate I'm afraid.

I blame us, the players though when all is said and done. If a mmo doesn't keep a certain level of population going at all times eventually it will crumble because once we fickle players who jump from game to game can't find that social niche for themselves (ie masses of other players to interact with) they move on, declare the game dead (or will at least post..is this game dieing?.... and move on. It's not the game they want but the players they need. RIP COH.

Comments

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by jeddak

First, it was the game in general. I loved the ice monsters attacking the main city but really disliked the leveling in general and the overall feeling of boredom I felt and the anti-friendly attitude of the general population (don't worry, I get that in most mmo's). Then when the 'design your own scenarios' feature came into the game I was back with a vengeance only to find that it was mostly a tool of exploitation and not a creative effort. Then came too many superhero games followed by just too many mmo's in general. Many mmo's will follow COH's fate I'm afraid.

I blame us, the players though when all is said and done. If a mmo doesn't keep a certain level of population going at all times eventually it will crumble because once we fickle players who jump from game to game can't find that social niche for themselves (ie masses of other players to interact with) they move on, declare the game dead (or will at least post..is this game dieing?.... and move on. It's not the game they want but the players they need. RIP COH.

You are going to blame players for the failure of a business who goal is to make a monetary profit? CoH had a good run. It will always be remembered as one of the fun mmos of it's time. 

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Odd. I found the CoH community fairly friendly and helpful. I had a few people that gave me tips and pointers and helped me out in general quite a bit. Of course it had its share of asshats, but every MMO has them.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    I actually kind of agree with you on both counts. But I found the game to be a lot of fun despite the relative lack of community and how badly gimped/exploited the mission editor it was.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there