Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally a developer that cares about making art and not a profit

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Actually ultimately we want GW2 to make a profit for future expansions and updates. So the profit is always a driver to create future content. But ArenaNet is dedicated and focused on ONLY the Guild Wars series and at this moment just Guild Wars 2. I wonder if anyone is still playing Guild Wars 1 lol. Probably if they can't afford a better PC or 60 dollars.

5 years of development of hard work and a publisher like NCSoft that gave them the time to make a perfect game. Not perfect, but pretty dang close.

And hopefully expansions very very soon.

Comments

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Actually there's a lot of things about GW1 I miss in GW2. So I do play it despite having a very good PC and GW2. I play both but I will say I don't play GW1 as much as I used to
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

lol - you're deluded.  All dev's want to make money over art any day of the week.

Silly post.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by bluefunk

lol - you're deluded.  All dev's want to make money over art any day of the week.

Silly post.

There are two different minds in the company.

The ones that say "We want to make games, and to do that we have to make money."

And the ones that say "We want to make money, and to do that we have to make games."

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

the writing and voice acting is horrendous. 

But other than that it's alright, 

I personally don't like the pvp but others love it so meh

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94

Art?  I feel like this GW2 forum is the audience at Obama's DNC convention from 4 years ago with the crowd passing out and crying. 

Get real, they care about making money just as much as anyone else does, they just feel they can lure more people in without a sub fee and they have a cash shop that they will tweak when they see what is selling and what isn't.  If they see they are not making their targeted revenue from what is in the cash shop now, they will put in things that players will either need or want badly to make more money.

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

What throws me for a loop is the drastic quality of the writing / dialogue. Some of it is really, really good (Asura, Charr storyline) and some of it is just incredibly BAD (Human noble storyline).

It's like Drew Karpyshyn wrote the former, while Chris Metzen wrote the latter. Very jarring.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Kraylor

Art?  I feel like this GW2 forum is the audience at Obama's DNC convention from 4 years ago with the crowd passing out and crying. 

Get real, they care about making money just as much as anyone else does, they just feel they can lure more people in without a sub fee and they have a cash shop that they will tweak when they see what is selling and what isn't.  If they see they are not making their targeted revenue from what is in the cash shop now, they will put in things that players will either need or want badly to make more money.

A) The cashshop only has Cosmetic items not to mention that some ingame gear looks better anyway

B) They recently stopped SELLING games because they wanted the current players to enjoy it without too much issues.

They said they wanted to stop selling on a short term basis so they can have long term players.

I don't know about you, but when was the last time a gaming company stopped making money just to give players a better experience.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    That is why I dont need gems for bag and bank slots and why game is free
  • Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Fanboyism these days.. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by yaoming36
    Originally posted by Kraylor

A) The cashshop only has Cosmetic items not to mention that some ingame gear looks better anyway

B) They recently stopped SELLING games because they wanted the current players to enjoy it without too much issues.

They said they wanted to stop selling on a short term basis so they can have long term players.

I don't know about you, but when was the last time a gaming company stopped making money just to give players a better experience.

Because it's really in their best interest.

You don't want to open up too many servers and then having to go through the PR nightmare of merging them later on.

Also, if people have a terrible experience right now.... they will play right in the hands of Blizzard and have most players jump ship instantly when MoP launches.

So ofcourse they want to try to give people a good experience, so to reduce the tempation of the imminent MoP launch.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    What makes you think that they don't care about making a profit?  Even if their goals were purely to make a profit, I'd say they've done pretty well for themselves.  Wouldn't you?
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Own a company and the first thing you think about when you go to work in the morning is "how not to make a profit".

Yeah right.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

May Anet get filthy rich from this game imho.....they made a good game here imo.

IF its not about the money maybe you forumdwellers should make us a game we can all enjoy for free then huh......yeah i thought so, you wouldnt know how to even start making a game......but once yours is ready (AND STABLE), then you have the right imho to talk to Anet about being greedy.

Untill then, all you guys saying Anet is ONLY in it for the money are just full of it imho.

my 2 coppers :)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    The store says otherwise.  I don't really like the amount of storage they give you without paying cash.  Other than that I have no real complaints yet.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Silly post.

No game developer is in the business solely for money.  Game development is generally not a career you just "fall into" like server admin, middle management, or HR...game developers really have to work to break into the business. In addition, game devs often have to work lots of OT and aren't compensated very well.

if all you wanted to do is make money, then there are plenty easier things to do than game development.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    The store says otherwise.  I don't really like the amount of storage they give you without paying cash.  Other than that I have no real complaints yet.

I know this is not an option for people who want to have a lot of alts, but make a lvl 2, put 4 8 slot boxes on it and that should help with that problem. Now I just want the TP to work properly.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I know this is not an option for people who want to have a lot of alts, but make a lvl 2, put 4 8 slot boxes on it and that should help with that problem. Now I just want the TP to work properly.

Also the option of making money in game through farming / selling stuff and trade it for gems. Of course the trolls will say thats a bad thing too, you shouldnt have to do that. But what exactly do people do when they want mor ebag space in other games? Do you just wish for it and it magically appears? Nope. Requires lots of time farming for the biggest bags, or lots of time invested in crafting to make your own bags.

• MadGeloMadGelo Member UncommonPosts: 110

people complaining about cash shop?

you do know that you can exchange ingame gold for gems, right?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    there is one main reason this game was made.. and yes thats to make them a profit and thats all they care about..
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by oubers

May Anet get filthy rich from this game imho.....they made a good game here imo.

IF its not about the money maybe you forumdwellers should make us a game we can all enjoy for free then huh......yeah i thought so, you wouldnt know how to even start making a game......but once yours is ready (AND STABLE), then you have the right imho to talk to Anet about being greedy.

Untill then, all you guys saying Anet is ONLY in it for the money are just full of it imho.

my 2 coppers :)

A top notch MMORPG costs around 40-60 million dollars to make over several years these days - this is average some obviously cost over 250mil (cough SWTOR.. cough)

Think about that for a minute.

Now tell me a single company/investors that are going to front that kind of an investment for *art* and not profit.

Anet is a business, and every business has one simple goal - to make money and be as profitable as possible. 

Sure Anet has developers and employees who do a great job and are proud of their games - but if all the employees were working there for no cash to make art - there would be no GW2 - EVER

So Anet (as a company) is only in it for the money - but I am sure that many employees enjoy working there, but still money is a primary motivator as they need to support their families.

i never stated in my post that money is NOT important....all i wanted to say is the following:

Can you realy say these guys dont have a passion for making games?? can you??

I love my job to death, but i also need to feed myself and my cat (the GF works for her food :p hehe)....Anet is no different.

imho Anet realy had made this game with alot of passion for gaming itself (this can not be sayd about EA games for exsample, there games are as shallow as they can get lately).

So i dont mind that they think about the money (they should as a company or they will go broke and quit).

But people stating that Anet is in this ONLY for the money obviously dont see the love that went into making this game and are just full of it imho.

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147

If they care so much about making Art and not a profit then I want my money back. I paid £45 for a repetitive yawnfest. Refund me now and all will be forgiven.

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Syno23

Actually ultimately we want GW2 to make a profit for future expansions and updates. So the profit is always a driver to create future content. But ArenaNet is dedicated and focused on ONLY the Guild Wars series and at this moment just Guild Wars 2. I wonder if anyone is still playing Guild Wars 1 lol. Probably if they can't afford a better PC or 60 dollars.

5 years of development of hard work and a publisher like NCSoft that gave them the time to make a perfect game. Not perfect, but pretty dang close.

And hopefully expansions very very soon.

Sigh this guy again...

I am starting to believe that you just cleverly bait with every new topic. Even though i am sure that you already know this but here it is anyways..

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them. We’ll be satisfied when the Guild Wars 2 is the most successful MMO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

Their goal is to sell as many copies as possible and beat WOW's success...yeah they clearly don't care for profit. 

*rolls eyes*

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

I do think their artists should be congratulated on some excellent work though.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Creslin321

No game developer is in the business solely for money.  Game development is generally not a career you just "fall into" like server admin, middle management, or HR...game developers really have to work to break into the business. In addition, game devs often have to work lots of OT and aren't compensated very well.

if all you wanted to do is make money, then there are plenty easier things to do than game development.

But you're talking about the motivation for an individual pursuing/maintaining a career, which is very different from what the OP is talking about (correct me if I'm wrong).

At the end of the day, one could argue many people do their jobs for some sort of personal satisfaction and are not motivated by money alone (otherwise no one would like what they do).  I've met and talked to people in all sorts of professions (doctors, lawyers, IT, programmers, waiters, construction workers, etc) and many of them have cited this.  Many work insane hours (way above 40 a week).

However, when you start talking about a multimillion dollar project with many lives' work involved and the company behind it, all those little personal motivations may help you get through the day.  But in the end, the company is looking to make a profit above anything else.

Edit: I also don't know of any particular job where it is easy to make a steady income without already having money to begin with and some sort of personal/mental/social risk.  (If you do, point me in that direction!)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

Silly post.

There are two different minds in the company.

The ones that say "We want to make games that people enjoy, and to do that we have to make money."

And the ones that say "We want to make money, and to do that we have to make games that people enjoy."

The qualifier is kind of important because a lot of people here seem to take the odd leap of logic that such a condition is not necessry for those looking to make money.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre