Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the pathetically large download on installing the game!

zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

I just bought the game today, and after waiting for ages for it to install, it is now %20 through downloading updates, this is 900mb, so I guess the completed update will be around 5gb. Or in other words, around 6 hours to install the game before being able to play.

PATHETIC!!!

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by zastroph

I just bought the game today, and after waiting for ages for it to install, it is now %20 through downloading updates, this is 900mb, so I guess the completed update will be around 5gb. Or in other words, around 6 hours to install the game before being able to play.

PATHETIC!!!

Well you saved yourself a bunch of time by (presumably) buying and installing the disks.

Your download speeds are personal to you.  They depend on many factors, the most notibly being how many people share your "1" network.  Apartment complexes with 1 line in share a common network, for instance.  .. And the speed is usually slow during peak hours.

Just as a slight jab, I downloaded the patch at 3 MB / sec and it went fairly quick, but thats because I have a dedicated IP who provided high speed internet.  Some people have it even faster.  But you get what you pay for.

But who knows .. if you don't have any softare to monitor internet activity, you could have a common virus that infects your computer as a "server", with lots of incoming and outgoing traffic.  Nobody knows your computer better than you, so only you can answer up to that one (alternately other viruses will slow communications also and/or do rootkits).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

My pc is fresh out of the box today (new)!

My internet speed is 1.5mb, still have over 49k file left to download to update the game!

Why was there over 60k of files to download to update?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I have heard of the term pathetically small, but pathetically large lol that's a new one. To answer the obvious there is a large amount of files to change...because well a large number of files changed since they produced the disks. Been a lot of development since they were made. A 5 yearl old child can work out more = bigger.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

My internet speed is 1.5mb, still have over 49k file left to download to update the game!

You can have the fastest computer in the world, but you are still limited by bandwith.  Acutal bandwidth is how much information can be transmitted over the line you are using.

Your bandwidth may be 1.5M, but that doesn't mean thats what you are going to get.

Picture this situation.  A potatoe truck can unload their potatoes onto a platform in the factory quickly using 5 workers.  All 5 workers come from the truck to the platform and do the job.  If suddenly there is a tunnel that restricts movement, then only 1 worker can deliver the potatoes to the platform at a time .. the rest sit and twiddle their thumbs.

This is bandwidth .. you can make the truck faster, you can make the platform bigger .. but you can't adjust the tunnel size (out of your control).  The size of the tunnel decreases when more people want to use the tunnel for other reasons.

edit: And the game is evolving .. it evolved much since the DVD-ROM you have was made.  So updates will happen.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Normal, for MMORPGs.

If you play MMORPGs regularly, maybe faster internet would help. I patched GW2 with 15mb/s.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

The only thing pathetic is your internet connection.

Welcome to the 21st century. Developers make changes to games after the disks have been stamped out.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Why are you such a whiny little drone?

They made changes to the game. Go figure, huh?

Originally posted by AZHokie54

cuz the person is downloading 900 MB with an estimated time of 6 hours?  Obvoisly, there is a problem.

The only thing pathetic is your internet connection.

Welcome to the 21st century. Developers make changes to games after the disks have been stamped out.

Open your eyes.  There could be other causes.  See them.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

So you actually find it necesary to tell us about how you hate the large updates. Funny thing where we got to, people even started to complain when the game gets updated.

If you don't like daily updates, GW2 really isn't the game for you. If you'd like to play a game that never updates and where broken stuff doesn't get fixed, there's plenty of other MMOs out there just waitinf for your whiny ***.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    to the download the game while he has downloading speed of max 180 kbps per second is pretty slow .. but 900 MB in 6 hours ? hats just impossible O_o I have 10 mb,and it was downlading at speed of 1200 kbps and took me 2-4 hours total to downloda 16 gb
    Originally posted by vort3x

So you actually find it necesary to tell us about how you hate the large updates. Funny thing where we got to, people even started to complain when the game gets updated.

If you don't like daily updates, GW2 really isn't the game for you. If you'd like to play a game that never updates and where broken stuff doesn't get fixed, there's plenty of other MMOs out there just waitinf for your whiny ***.

Way to not read what the OP said?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Karteli

cuz the person is downloading 900 MB with an estimated time of 6 hours?  Obvoisly, there is a problem.

The problem is his Internet. Downloading WoW's updates with that connection would take days.

Originally posted by Scalpless

The problem is his Internet. Downloading WoW's updates with that connection would take days.

But .. what if it wasn't the internet connection .. but instead the computer itself?

There is too much reliance of computer performace these days, which can be mitigated by other nefarious means.  If the OP expected and paid for 1.5M / sec connection and isn't getting it, there is a reason (of which may not be pretty).

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

PATHETIC!!!

Thats very small for a modern day MMORPG..

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133
    LMAO children of today, now they complain because the developers have been actively  patching game since launch, causing large update first time installed. Dumfounded. On the other hand im really happy how these guys have been attacking problems so far. GJ Anet, now make it so i can acess TP :)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

PATHETIC!!!

you just need a better computer and/or internet m8

I downloaded the WHOLE 17GIG client in about 2 hours......all was smooth as a baby's bum.

The only issue i am having are client crashed since early access (but Anet support is still working on it).

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Scalpless

But .. what if it wasn't the internet connection .. but instead the computer itself?

There is too much reliance of computer performace these days, which can be mitigated by other nefarious means.  If the OP expected and paid for 1.5M / sec connection and isn't getting it, there is a reason (of which may not be pretty).

You don't seem to realize how networking works yourself.

The advertised speed is theoritical, but not everyone (usually no one) ever reaches their said speed.  I pay for a 50M/sec line and even having professional level severs, I doub I'd ever acheive that speed regularly.  Unless you're paying for a true  dedicated line, you will never get that cap of yours.

Like most people, OP shares his connection with others in his area.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by maji

Normal, for MMORPGs.

If you play MMORPGs regularly, maybe faster internet would help. I patched GW2 with 15mb/s.

I maxed out my 25 mb/s before launch.

And yeah, try to install AoC now and patch it... That is something.

The problem is that they must make the CDs 6 weeks before launch at latest and ANET have updated a lot of stuff since then.

But just put it on updating while you go to work or sleep if you have a slow ISP, sitting and watching is just annoying.

Originally posted by rykim86

You don't seem to realize how networking works yourself.

The advertised speed is theoritical, but not everyone (usually no one) ever reaches their said speed.  I pay for a 50M/sec line and even having professional level severs, I doub I'd ever acheive that speed regularly.  Unless you're paying for a true  dedicated line, you will never get that cap of yours.

Like most people, OP shares his connection with others in his area.

I am never under 80%, my ISP rocks. :). And no, I dont pay anything extra for that (just for a static IP and 3 pop3 mail adresses).

My buddy is usually on 20%, so it depends a lot from ISP to ISP.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I like how rift and wow have thiers set up.  I can literally download and be playing WoW in under 5 seconds lol.  Rift about 10 seconds...Why doesn't every company utilize this technology...

Edit: I have no problems with patching and updates, I can download the high res client for Lotro in under 15 min :) 

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I like how rift and wow have thiers set up.  I can literally download and be playing WoW in under 5 seconds lol.  Rift about 10 seconds...Why doesn't every company utilize this technology...

Edit: I have no problems with patching and updates, I can download the high res client for Lotro in under 15 min :) 

Guild Wars 1 was the first online game that I am aware of that used streaming technology for their client. It worked really well. Generally the initial push would take a minute or so but after that it was really brief. It'd be cool if they had that in place for GW2 but I doubt it is possible with the architecture of the game. GW1 was much more modular in terms of zones.

Originally posted by Gravarg

With GW2 they only have to take down the servers when they update the server software. Wow will have to take it down for any patching. You will just get a message that you need to restart the game within a few minutes instead of the game getting down for 1 hour+.

So both ways have their advantages, I still prefer GW2s since less downtime is good.

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Welcom to Australia, where they charge extreme prices for everything!

There are faster isp's somewhere but how do you pay for it when on a very tight budget!

An example of prices here, (slightly off topic) $1.30 for every 10kb of data for prepaid mobile phone data!

My current isp speed is 150kbs (which is about as fast as it gets on my connection)!

I guess I will get back to doing uni assignments rather than playing!

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Welcom to Australia, where they charge extreme prices for everything!

There are faster isp's somewhere but how do you pay for it when on a very tight budget!

An example of prices here, (slightly off topic) $1.30 for every 10kb of data for prepaid mobile phone data!

My current isp speed is 150kbs (which is about as fast as it gets on my connection)!

I guess I will get back to doing uni assignments rather than playing!

wow man, that sux.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I just downloaded when I slept or did something else....I had problems with the client freezing, but that was during pre-launch....I think the file total for me was like close to 300,000.  I only played the first beta after pre-purchase, so I hadn't been up to date.