Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall is a PVE game

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

This round of Darkfall I decided I would get some good gear created so I could compete.  Outside of finding myself raiding cities for ore I spent most of my time traveling arond the world fighting the strongest NPC's on the map for enchanting materials.  An entire month for maybe 10 good weapons and several sets of good armor.  I could just roam around killing people but nobody ever has good gear on so you are forced to PVE and make it.  Most clan's require good gear at sieges so in order to go there you have to have at least 1 set or a crafter friend who has support (people that PVE for him).

I still love the game but this is one of the biggest downfalls.  Darkfall is a huge PVE game at heart.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

A few years ago i would have been right with you on this.  Darkfall was a supurb PVE game back in the day.  Sure it was missing some sand in that sandbox but character development was top notch and the crafting system was fantastic paired with the quick destruction of gear...despite it could have been better.

It was unfortunate that a lot of "PVP only" players really took hold of the game.  I remember when they had all the noob spawns on lockdown and a whole boatload of people left unable to progress because of it.

That pvp group has had the developers on lockdown too. First they started with macroing though the game, making pvp worse as a random encounter and more of a race to max level to compete type of pvp..this chased out a lot of pve players who wanted to pvp, but only didnt want to get stomped by a player who macroed for a month.

The PVP crowd then started to say "grind is the reason everyone left" so grind was reduced to no effect.  Grind remained a focal point for this community as this pvp crowd actualyl expanded a bit, the new pvp only players didnt want to play the game they just wanted a max character.  Medatation and further grind reduction was added.  At some point down the road a slight pve content expansion which seemed to be a leftover from the games old days where it was suppose to be a pve and pvp game.

I know im reaching the end of the attention span of reader here so ill jump to the game as is today.  Its a pve game with the pve nerfed to a 20x XP event.  People who legitly played now can roll a new character and surpass their old one in a month.  Getting to near max legit was a real accomplishment before.  The pvp only crowd promised for years that if only the grind was gone and thise was some type of arena pvp game the servers would be packed...every time developers caved the numbers got smaller.

This post...complaining about how this is a pve game because with 20x XP theres no one around for you to grief out of gear and are troubled to make it yourself is a testament to the kind of players remaining in this game.

My hope is that with 2.0 AV forgets about this crowd that they have listend to over and over again only to see their game empty out over the years.

In case you havent noticed...it was never the grind, the grind kept out a certain type of pvper however.  With 20x XP...that game have never been more dead.

I really wonder what this game would have been like had the pvp only crowd left the game and AV instead listend to those who liked pvp but wanted a good pve game as a foundation....

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I agree with the enchantment. Thats the part of DF i hate the most. 

There are 6 must have enchant in DF that you must carry at all time. You dont have, then expect to get kill by someone that has something you dont have. You always need arcane rings to block arcane spells from various enemies and arcane towers mostly. You dont have that, you cant raid and expect to get owned by virtious wrath users or impal.

The reason why DF is still pve, its because its a game where hybrids rules, so you need every peaces to be a master of all.

Also, DF right now has the worst economy. No one will sell you good stuff for gold since gold is so easy to make that it is totally useless unless you want to buy regs from the mage guild. Now, you must go out to hunt for what you need or you can exchange valuable items for what you need. 

I still like the game, but i cant wait for 2.0 for these reasons.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by redman875

A few years ago i would have been right with you on this.  Darkfall was a supurb PVE game back in the day.  Sure it was missing some sand in that sandbox but character development was top notch and the crafting system was fantastic paired with the quick destruction of gear...despite it could have been better.

It was unfortunate that a lot of "PVP only" players really took hold of the game.  I remember when they had all the noob spawns on lockdown and a whole boatload of people left unable to progress because of it.

That pvp group has had the developers on lockdown too. First they started with macroing though the game, making pvp worse as a random encounter and more of a race to max level to compete type of pvp..this chased out a lot of pve players who wanted to pvp, but only didnt want to get stomped by a player who macroed for a month.

The PVP crowd then started to say "grind is the reason everyone left" so grind was reduced to no effect.  Grind remained a focal point for this community as this pvp crowd actualyl expanded a bit, the new pvp only players didnt want to play the game they just wanted a max character.  Medatation and further grind reduction was added.  At some point down the road a slight pve content expansion which seemed to be a leftover from the games old days where it was suppose to be a pve and pvp game.

I know im reaching the end of the attention span of reader here so ill jump to the game as is today.  Its a pve game with the pve nerfed to a 20x XP event.  People who legitly played now can roll a new character and surpass their old one in a month.  Getting to near max legit was a real accomplishment before.  The pvp only crowd promised for years that if only the grind was gone and thise was some type of arena pvp game the servers would be packed...every time developers caved the numbers got smaller.

This post...complaining about how this is a pve game because with 20x XP theres no one around for you to grief out of gear and are troubled to make it yourself is a testament to the kind of players remaining in this game.

My hope is that with 2.0 AV forgets about this crowd that they have listend to over and over again only to see their game empty out over the years.

In case you havent noticed...it was never the grind, the grind kept out a certain type of pvper however.  With 20x XP...that game have never been more dead.

I really wonder what this game would have been like had the pvp only crowd left the game and AV instead listend to those who liked pvp but wanted a good pve game as a foundation....

great  analysis and great assumptions.

Where is you thousands over thousands of  players now that you thought would join after the "grind" is gone ?

Instead of treating the real problems aka sandbox design and adding more playstyles to Agon you min max pvp's got your big arena to fight the other 5 toons for 24/7 now for you all alone.  The devs willk prob reduce this world on DF 2 so you can meet even faster. 

Suggestion for DF2 make a sqare 4 x 4 meter world,  you get insta all skills and have PvP the moment you login. No need for skill progress and no need to walk a meter away.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by -Zeno-Darkfall is a huge PVE game at heart.

I agree, and I`ve said this for years.

I have never killed so many NPCs in any game ever, and it didn`t slow down with higher level. The amount of time you need to get a siegebag is just staggering. And don`t even try to come with a normal gear, you get yelled at by you clan and your enemies.

In UO you farmed for a few hours and pvped a week, in Darkfall you farm for a week to pvp a few hours.

I really hope they make DF2 a pvp mmo.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    in soviet Darkfall Pve loots you...