Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story mode cutscenes, instant escape button

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Skipping GW2 story, you gonna have a bad time..

Not sure what you mean?

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I think the personal story mode is by far the weakest area of the game. After playing games like SWTOR who advanced the single player quality story mode into an MMO for the first time successful (as far as quality such as the lips and face movements, choices, acting, etc), anything that looks like a cheesy iphone app doesn't cut it. Now the rest of the game is fantastic to me..so far :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Story gets pretty epic at later level, Just today around lv 55 I got to face the devastating power of Tequatl the Sunless itself. Story is pretty interesting when you get into it, it takes you slowly into the real thing.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Not sure what you mean?

Don't you wanna fight the Zhaitan?

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

The story and cutscene are my only disappointment on GW2, the story and the dialog in general is just poorly written and the voice over is hit or miss but mostly miss, Nolan North is terrible, he put absolutely no passion into his lines, i still remember one of the quest in lv30ish when the human character suppose to sound excited, yet Nolan North sounded completely uninterested and flat. And the wirting of the norn is quite poorly done as well.

Honesty i found Anet handled the story and cut scenes better in GW2, i personally dislike the whole two characters talking to each other while smiling and bobbling their body, it is extremely awkward for me, just weird compares to TSW , SWTOR, XIV or Aion more "traditional" style cut scenes, rather than early PS2 JRPG style cut scenes with characers and a beautiful background only, it doesn't feels alive to me.

HOWEVER i do love the special water painting style cut scenes shown up from time to time. those are really stylish and well done.

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78
    I wouldn't mind the static animations and unimotional dialoge if at least thea actual story would be somewhat engaging. But at least for Human it is not. I moved to skip the cutscenes after the first zone, to boring and tedious to watch. TSW was much much superior in this aspect, keeping your hero mute was a great choice for immersion as well, since there is only one male and female voice per race in GW2 and listening my boyish looking messmer talk with a deep manly voice is just off-putting. On top of that the voice actors are not very talented at all and to be fair they are not given much writing to work with. This is the only aspect of the game where the production value seems to be far far off from the rest of the game.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Not sure what you mean?

I'll do that, sure.  I probably just won't know or care why I'm doing it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I'm skipping most of them.. But then again, I didnt buy it or the cutscenes lol
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Not sure what you mean?

I'll do that, sure.  I probably just won't know or care why I'm doing it.

Meh, I will skip the scene like normal and read the log in chat. So no matter what I wont miss out on anything aside from the annoyingly dull voice acting. If they put as much effort in as funcom did with TSWs cutscenes it wouldnt be so bad.

Though I did reroll as an Asura and I have to say the cutscenes are a little more tollerable than the Human and Charr ones. I think the goofy nature of the race helps. Human was just dry and boring. The Charr felt a bit forced.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by fyerwall
    I am skipping the cutscenes and just reading the chat log text. The cutscenes are a bit to painful to watch. The acting is on par with a 3rd grade school play.

This.  I don't know what cutscenes the rest of you are watching, but they're very poorly done.  You've got to be a massive fanboi to  WANT to watch these cutscenes after a while.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Vapors

I just wanted to get sure, that it is not only me instant clicking away the GW2 cutscenes.

After i did all quests + watching their cutscenes in TSW, i just can't get into the GW2 cutscenes, I guess im just spoilt but the tsw stories.

I mean don't get me wrong, but I really tried to watch a few of them, but it all came to the same solution -> Boring and undwieldy.

Others i was asking ingame was like happy about every cutscenes, their previous game was kind of wow or stuff.

Anyone else having my problem?

I like the cutscenes merely because they present context to the world I'm playing in.  Which is to me important in bringing the world alive.  But I only do my story missions when I know I have the time and patience to listen to what they are saying.  Other times I just go out and explore on my own.

The stories definitely are not necessary to play the game and thus can understand those who want to just skip.  

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I found the cutscenes tiresome after only a short while.  Really though, I got into the old habit of blowing through all that because GW2 does the old hand holding and spoon feeding to epic proportions.  You just bring up the map, get told where to go, get told what to do, blah, blah, blah.
  • TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Put me down on the "personal story + dialogue is the worst part of the game" crowd. But then, there are few RPG's, and fewer MMO's, that I actually think do this well. With a lot of RPG's, I find that the general lore/history of the world is the most interesting part, while the actual dialogue is poorly written.

The Elder Scrolls, for example, has great lore, but generally the dialogue in every entry is merely "average." The lore and general history of the world in Everquest was excellent, but the quest dialogue was merely usually just passable.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in RPG's (warning: minor spoilers for a rather old and not-particularly-popular RPG):

It's a speech given by the main antagonist near the end of the RPG "Arcanum: Of Steamwork and Magick Obscura." Well written, well delivered speech that isn't corny and stupid, and shows that there is more depth to this "bad guy" than merely "I want to kill everyone for no reason and then sit on a blood-throne and laugh maniacally like this: Hahaha! I am all powerfull! Bow before me! Blargh!" The good guys are also more than merely brooding emo's or "I will slay the wicked and save the world!" one-dimensional blowhards.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I just wanted to get sure, that it is not only me instant clicking away the GW2 cutscenes.

After i did all quests + watching their cutscenes in TSW, i just can't get into the GW2 cutscenes, I guess im just spoilt but the tsw stories.

I mean don't get me wrong, but I really tried to watch a few of them, but it all came to the same solution -> Boring and undwieldy.

Others i was asking ingame was like happy about every cutscenes, their previous game was kind of wow or stuff.

Anyone else having my problem?

It could have been better with actual cinematic work (e.g.Dragon Age, Mass Effect), but this style of cutscenes take me back to the days of playing Playstation RPGs, so it's all good. It's not current, but it's good. Voice acting in some lines though are worth criticizing.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    I've watched all the cutscenes so far and dialogue/voice acting is actually okay for an MMO. Maybe slightly worse than WoW but definitely better than Rift.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by TGSOL

Put me down on the "personal story + dialogue is the worst part of the game" crowd. But then, there are few RPG's, and fewer MMO's, that I actually think do this well. With a lot of RPG's, I find that the general lore/history of the world is the most interesting part, while the actual dialogue is poorly written.

The Elder Scrolls, for example, has great lore, but generally the dialogue in every entry is merely "average." The lore and general history of the world in Everquest was excellent, but the quest dialogue was merely usually just passable.

This is the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in RPG's (warning: minor spoilers for a rather old and not-particularly-popular RPG):

It's a speech given by the main antagonist near the end of the RPG "Arcanum: Of Steamwork and Magick Obscura." Well written, well delivered speech that isn't corny and stupid, and shows that there is more depth to this "bad guy" than merely "I want to kill everyone for no reason and then sit on a blood-throne and laugh maniacally like this: Hahaha! I am all powerfull! Bow before me! Blargh!" The good guys are also more than merely brooding emo's or "I will slay the wicked and save the world!" one-dimensional blowhards.

I agree with the statement in red.  I wish RPG stories were more mature.  And even when they are mature they get over dramatic.  I am waiting for quality movie screen writers to get involved to make the story as interesting as the game.

Unfortunately some of the best stories were the whimsical 'save the world' ones from the 16-bit RPG era.  After that I felt they just tried too hard.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    I do. I don't know what it is. Feels REALLY unnatural. They should have done them the way the did them in GW1. The only cutscenes I kinda dont skip through ("kinda" cause sometimes I do) are the ones where I'm talking to a charr named tybalt. Him and his apples... But yeah I don't care much for it. They're pretty poorly done. 
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Praetalus

It is not about buying or not, its a simple discussion about their cutscenes and animations. I really don't like people always come up with the answer for everything "i didn't buy for". A game can have 99% bugs and i can say "i didnt buy for the 99%"

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

No i do not skip the cut scenes as i would like to follow the story but i do cringe and roll my eyes thanks to cheesy and horrible voice acting and juvenile dialouges.  Anet could have hired some decent voice actors.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    If they had gone the SWTOR route with cut scenes in every quest I would skip through them, but with just one quest per level I will watch them and follow the story.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I seen all the first time. For alts I just cut it short.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I actually like to know whats going on,so no...I watch every cutsecene and listen to every word.

Im in no rush,I like to sit back and enjoy my MMO's like sipping a fine wine or a cold beer..

good day.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Praetalus

It is not about buying or not, its a simple discussion about their cutscenes and animations. I really don't like people always come up with the answer for everything "i didn't buy for". A game can have 99% bugs and i can say "i didnt buy for the 99%"

bugs are hardly a game feature though, and the cutscenes etc are such a small part that skipping through them is hardly taking anything away from the game experience, so, i find his argument for why he bought the game etc, valid. He just wanted to play the game, not watch it.. image

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Here's an example of good dialogue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4IGB_Z6Rk

Here's an example of some of the worst dialogue I've seem in MMOs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFYSw2-fuIA&feature=player_detailpage#t=36s

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't mind them, but since I don't play MMO's for the story, I really don't care either way.  Unlike SWTOR, which gave you a 20 minute lecture before telling you to go and right click 10 glowing objects in the environment, at least GW2's cut scenes are short and relaxed, even if they're a bit comical.