Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You top 3 best and worst mmorpg communities (TODAY)

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Zippy

2 and 3 Fill in any modern MMO with a PvP focus.

You can save space and just go 1-3.

Most communities are at their worst on their own PvP forums, to my obsevation.  But don't know if  that's due to a general acceptance of trash talk from players and careless moderation from companies...  Or a hasty generalization about the broader PvP audience.  Not comfortable with how broad the brush must paint, either way.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

I think communies today are all garbage. The one good thing about faction based MMOs is you split the assholes into their factions, while in a no faction game like TERA, you combine them all into one group.

• Grey950Grey950 Member UncommonPosts: 65

I've had pretty varied experiences, plus my main games have been FF online titles for the past few years.  That said...

BEST: GW2, FFXIV (at times)

WORST: FFXI, Aion

Feel pretty neutral about all the others I've been in.

A multi-game MMORPG community
    http://www.impact-gaming.us/
  • RionRequielRionRequiel Member UncommonPosts: 17
    *Deleted for necropost.. Accidental of course*
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Best - coh, daoc, planetside
    Worst - EQ, wow, can't really think of another as bad
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw - no gold sellers thing

2 reasons
    1 its not that gold heavy a game
    2 its impossible to bot in it
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

best:  LoTRO, EVE, TSW

worst: WoW, GW2... nothing else comes to mind as particularly bad.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Best:

1)  FFXIV

2)  Lotro

3)  WoW

Worst:

1)  GW2

2)  TSW

3)  Darkfall

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Best: All the MMOs I have ever played in.

Worst: All the MMOs I have ever played in.

I say this because the communities of all the games I have played have had good and bad parts of the communties. I just choose to interact with the good ones.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by darwa

Best.

EQ. It's still running and being updated, therefore it is 'of today's time'.

Agreed, a legitmate candidate for Worst:.  The award goes to: EQ1.  DAoC.  SWG.  Honorable mentions: EvE, WoW.

(Note: Worst communities defined as "persistently hounded their own dev staffs for the most years".)  These are the games with at least One Bad Expansion that became a never-ending supply of message board drama.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bobbymobobbymo Member UncommonPosts: 48

I’m surprised by the number of people that copy/paste WoW into the worst. With that many people playing a game you are going to have a lot of trolls, and unfortunately they can be the most vocal at times. I assure you there are several nice communities in various servers and guilds across the game. As far as having the fewest, in some cases no trolls at all, you have to look for games with a very small community. Typically in a small game community the “bad” players don’t fit in and leave. I can’t say for sure from my experience which games had the “worst” communities, but the better ones have been:

Rubies of Eventide(now closed)

Ryzom

DAOC

EQ2

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    How many games do you people play at once???  The OP wants you to list a total of SIX games of today.   Who, but the most stay-at-home in their mother's basement could possibly have time to play 6 games?

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    How many games do you people play at once???  The OP wants you to list a total of SIX games of today.   Who, but the most stay-at-home in their mother's basement could possibly have time to play 6 games?

No where was it stated they had to be games you were currently playing.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    thanks "User Deleted" but we don't believe you.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

the best community: Guild Wars 1 (GW2 is pretty good with an occasional douchebag in map chat)

the worst community: WOW, EVE (you can't trust anyone in EVE due to the nature of the game)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,374
    Strangely enough I consider EVE Onlines to be one of the best. You clearly know who your friend and enemies are and common adversity makes for strange bedfellows.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Disclaimer: Some of these games I played a few years ago, so their communities may have changed since then.

Best: LotRO, Ryzom, VG

Worst: AoC, WAR, can't think of any more as bad as those two

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Strangely enough I consider EVE Onlines to be one of the best. You clearly know who your friend and enemies are and common adversity makes for strange bedfellows.

I wouldn't say it's one of the best, but I wouldn't call it the worst either like others have. I've met some of the friendliest, most helpful players on EVE, but I've also come across some of the biggest asshats of any MMO I've played.

Darkfall is the same imo.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Aion, by far hands down the worst comunity I've ever seen.  People would have alts on the opposite faction and when nothing is going on stalk other geared/skilled players waiting for something that they could report to try to get them banned to eliminate competition.  AND no I'm not making this shit up.  Aion was that rediculous.

EVE can be somewhat bad, but that is mostly because its how you have to play the game.  EVE wouldn't be EVE without people taking liberties with the ruleset in my opinion.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Top 3 best:

1. LoTRO (RP servers)

2. EVE Online

3. Vanguard

Top 3 Worst:

1. Lineage 2

2. WoW

3. Darkfall

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Best:

• Asheron's Call 1
    • Guild Wars 1
    • LOTRO

All seem to have more down to earth, helpful and knowledgable community.

Worst:

• WoW - Obvious reasons, mostly, but not always, immature
    • TSW - I can't join your group because one of my pieces of gear is QL 9 instead of QL10?
    • Guild Wars 2 - Yes, I dared. GW2 is my MMO of the last 3 years, I love it. But, the chat is an embarassment. So many people with a lot to say about the game that don't really know anything about it (especially the fanbois) and try to force those nonfactual views on others. Also, someone ressing you is not a sign of a nice player, they get experience for it.. complete their own goals with your help and it counts towards achievements. It's a mish mash of every MMO community and there are constant arguements everywhere, ingame and out. Hopefully, time will improve it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

I haven't played an MMO since the UO, EQ, AC, DAoC days that has had what i would consider to be a single overarching community. The Secret World comes close but still doesn't quite have that tight-knit feeling, to me at least.

Back in the original mmo days it was a completely different ballgame.

Think of it as small towns versus huge cities (mordern mmo's). Small towns have a single community more-or-less and cities have lots of disparate communities (aka guilds in mmo's) but no cohesive whole. The older mmo's had guilds too of course but they also had a general yet involved community at large as well.

This kind of goes back to Game vs Virtual World territory in some ways but that's a whole other debate. image

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Best: Secrate World, Rift and WOW

Worst ever : Aion!

GW2 is shaping up to have a realy awesome communitie, although i wish the forums would open.

PVP games tend to foster terrbile communities.

• DrilDril Member Posts: 107

Worst:

-GW2: empty chat channels, no real sense of anything going on at all, not even any guild recruitment really. GW2 fanbois in every thread screaming about the game and trashing others, and generally just a shit community. Most people don't even bother rezzing in events, even though it's pitifully easy.

-SOME aspects of LOTRO:  this is really an odd choice, I know, but there seemed to be a lot of holier-than-thou but really ignorant asshats that I encountered who wanted to seem knowledgable and just looked like idiots. However, there are a lot of gems there as well.

-AoC. It's toned down a lot, but it used to be dreadful.

Best:

-Mortal Online: I met a lot of really helpful people there. Shame the game wasn't really up to scratch.

-Allods beta, pre cash shop: it was like classic WoW (knowing the guilds, people etc who were pretty beeft), but a lot better and nicer.

-Fallen Earth pre-CS: generally nice people, good PvP.

RIFT was a *crushing* disappointment; a shallow, loveless, generic MMO the likes of which hasn't been seen in a P2P format since, well, forever.

Eagerly awaiting: World of Darkness, ArcheAge.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

I know the OP didnt want older MMOs but I agree with others here that they are stil lbeing played so they coun just as much...That being said the best 3 I see today are:

1. Ryzom...Friendly, helpful and make you feel wanted

2. EQ...Even though the game has aged the community is still pretty friendly here

3. Atlantica Online....SOlid community where you can actually still sell your stuff

The worst:

1. WoW...Not even close...Horrible community

2. Runescape....Another one full of alot of immature jerks

3. Path of Exile...Something about these Diablo ripoffs that bring out the worst in its player base....Game hasn't even been released yet and already one of the worst.