Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arena Net failed with the launch of GW2

12346»

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    It's not a case of whodunit, but of whofixit. ArenaNet is probably in heavy damage control right now.
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

Sony as a publisher owns Naughty Dog. Does that make Uncharted and Last of Us a japanese game? A french company owns Activision Blizzard...does that make WoW or Call of Duty a french game? I think its key to understand the difference between publishers and studios. In this case Arena Net is a north american company and GW2 is a Korean game, it is OWNED by NC Soft.

Fixed that for you.

There are 3 kinds of studios, 3rd party, 2nd party and 1st party.  3rd party isnt financially owned by anyone publisher. Arena Net in this case is 1st party, and thus financially part of NC Soft, which is an international publisher founded in South Korea. That said, Arena net developes a game in which NC Soft publishes, they are therefore the publisher.
    It does not connote or require that the game itself is Korean...no more so than World of Warcraft and Call of Duty are french because their studios and publishers are owned by a french corporation. If Microsoft were to announce their game division bought out Square Soft, and therefore Final Fantasy...it wouldnt make Final Fantasy games American. WB interactive is the first part publisher for Rocksteady in the UK, this doesnt make Batman Arkham Assylum/City american made. Nintendo of American often creates its own mario games...this doesnt make them automatically Japanese. You should probably read up on how the publisher system works and why some publishers buy studios, fund studios or studios dont mind being first party.

Anyways lets get this back on topic.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

" ArenaNet is a video game developer and subsidiary of NCsoft, founded in 2000 by Mike O'Brien, Patrick Wyatt and Jeff Strain and located in Bellevue, Washington. They are the developers of  of the online roleplaying series Guild Wars."

....first lines in Wikipedia.

Check out the crazy Korean names. Patrick Wyatt...Mike O'Brien ...I guess of the Seoul "O'Briens"...and Jeff Strain. I hear the written symbol for Jeff is much like a tree blowing in the wind. Beautiful.

Seriously.How could anyone think Guild Wars II is a Korean Game just because NCSoft ( of which Arenanet is a subsidiary) is a Korean Corp when it usually takes 2 seconds these days to find an answer to any doubt.

I guess the soon-to-be-non-existent City of Heroes is a Korean game too.

Also in my adventures I found nothign about EA financing Funcom on TSW. Everything I ran across states they are partnering for co-publication of the game. That means Funcom pays them and the burden of sole publication is alleviated.

If anyone could show otherwise I would be grateful...especially if it's whoever said to google it in the first place....as if the burden of proof was on us.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    simple. if you can't stand the launch time of an mmo, don't play it.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Thane
    simple. if you can't stand the launch time of an mmo, don't play it.

Or alternatively, if a game company can't make sure basic advertised game features will work at launch they should not release the game until its ready.

Now both of our statements are very narrow-minded and juvenile as A) Not every game issue can be found during beta as the majority of the games customer base doesn't show up until launch. and B) There's nothing wrong with a customer voicing their frustration over parts of a product they purchases not working as promised.

So how about you and the other posters here like you that seem like they can't stand to hear anything even slightly negative about this game stop wasting peoples time with these juvenile, kneejerk reaction posts. In other words, if the most mature response you can come up with is to tell people to fuck off, maybe the real person with the problem is you.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

I pretty much have the EXACT same opinion as you towards this launch. It has been pathetic and leaving me not even wanting to play right now. Thankfully it's a good game and non subscription based so I can return when stuff gets better.

Also to add, just me or is it also annoying for those of us who do not give a shit about the PVE outside of the story not being able to do the story? I mean... you do a little 5 to 10 minute quest to then be told "MEET UP WITH US HERE FOR OUR NEXT COURSE OF ACTION" which is cool and all but you have to gain 3 levels to do so. So you do that, then you meet up and guide them to the objective and complete the mission only to find to continue you need yes... another 3 levels. Its getting very tiring for me now, im level 37 and find myself not even logging in to do it anymore.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Only thing that has bothered me is the trading post still being down.   REALLLLY want that to be up and working.

It has frustrated me so much I've scaled back to playing only 12 hours a day instead of 14. =P

Also to the guy above me talking about the story.   Yeah I don't like the story quests either.   I decided just not to do them period.   Don't really need them for anything.   One day when I'm bored I'll do them maybe.

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

Based on my own personal experience this launch has been fine. I've been able to play every day since the 25th. All day on weekends. I've spent about 3,400 gems without any issues. Ran into some connection issues on the 25th and one disconnect since then. Otherwise the game has been playable. In game, I've seen some lag at times and several broken quests. Nothing to really prevent me from playing. The gems store has been slow at times and obviously the trade house is having issues.

Overall, if you've experienced a few MMORPGs launches, then this one was pretty smooth. Whenever you have a million+ players there will be people that have problems and things that break.