Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: The Nighthawk comes to Champions Online

garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Super-heroism has wings and jet engines in the Nighthawk update for Champions Online, including the first taste of the superhero, action MMORPG's brand new vehicle system. Framed by a corporate super-villain, the vigilante hero Nighthawk must clear his name. The call has been made for players to band together, taking the fight to the skies with Hawkwing jetfighters. 

These Hawkwing fighters represent the prototype for the vehicle system that will be coming soon toChampions Online, and players can fly them in outdoor maps for fast-moving combat and powerful gunnery. In addition, players can learn new stealth and gadget-based powers, including a devastating Strafing Run. 

Check your engines and strap in for takeoff, because finding the real villain will need the help of true champions! 

The Nighthawk update to Cryptic Studios' Champions Online is live now!

:p 

Comments

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

loL WOOT! Now we just need the Batmobile - or atleast the Cryptic/Perfect World equivalent of a Batmobile. Maybe they will call it ''Cas$ Mobile'' :D

Seriously though; I like the idea of vehicles in superhero games, and surprised that it has never been thought of OR done before until now.

Lets see how this turns out.......Cas$ Mobile, awaaaay!

• madmikethegmmadmikethegm Member UncommonPosts: 43

This news has interesting timing considering the recent events over at Paragon Studios.

Too bad it's Cryptic and PWE.  I wonder how long it will be before players start seeing vehicles in lockboxes like the players in STO do.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    reminds me of the old cartoon silverhawk
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Now we might see DC (the only half-decent super hero game these days since CoH is done for.) pick up a similar idea... Would be kinda neat to have a bike or a small car to drive around in and a cool jet or two.

This have been a good conversation

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by tawess
    Now we might see DC (the only half-decent super hero game these days since CoH is done for.) pick up a similar idea... Would be kinda neat to have a bike or a small car to drive around in and a cool jet or two.

Champions is a better game than DCUO.  It's a lot more flexible in just about every aspect of character customization and development, this addition just increases the gap.  Cryptic has really done a good job in improving the game since launch.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• KryalisKryalis Member UncommonPosts: 30

The quest series it adds is 100% generic, other than the end that adds vehicles... which is absolutely awful (which is basically impossible without knowing to fly ahead when the enemy moves and kill the healing mobs).

Great idea, terrible execution. Although if you randomly win one of the vehicle drops from the loot drop, there's not actually a restriction on where you can use it. So inside instances is just fine (and highly amusing, albeit stupid looking).

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

My bad.. I forget to add a "in my opinion".

And considering that i was there through beta to shortly after release... .. . It had pretty much only one way to go and that was up. Again in my opinion.

This have been a good conversation

• velluccivellucci Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Rohn

Champions is a better game than DCUO.  It's a lot more flexible in just about every aspect of character customization and development, this addition just increases the gap.  Cryptic has really done a good job in improving the game since launch.

Champions is better to you. But seriously now just because it has better character customization means it better? In gameplay though? C'mon, dcuo trumps it and not only that but who doesn't like fighting with batman or joker or flash or all the other awesome heroes we love.

Edit  - just saw your "my opinion" post so what I wrote is my opinion

• DracogeekDracogeek Member UncommonPosts: 31
    These events just don't feel all that creative to me. I enjoy the game but wish they'd put more thought into these events.
  • UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Flaming_MMO

Hmm, wonder if this will be a problem for them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighthawk_(Marvel_Comics)

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighthawk_(DC_Comics)

It wont, HERO System (the game Champions Online is based off of) introduced Nighthawk in the 5th Edition (or FREd) and had no issues with it and has you pointed out DC and Marvel aren't at eachother throats for having characters with the same name.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I haven't been playing CO for a while. The latest changes put me off. Griend tier X so you can grind tier Y so you can grind tier Z *yawns*.

Still, I asume the game has not changed that much meanwhile. And here comes my question...

Do we really need vehicles in a game where you need less than 5 minutes to get from one end of the map to the other? Actually, depending on your travelpower you probably don't even need 2 minutes.

What the game needs, badly, is new content in the form of lairs and areas. That is something that could bring me back to the game, but vehicles?

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by vellucci
    Originally posted by Rohn

Champions is better to you. But seriously now just because it has better character customization means it better? In gameplay though? C'mon, dcuo trumps it and not only that but who doesn't like fighting with batman or joker or flash or all the other awesome heroes we love.

Edit  - just saw your "my opinion" post so what I wrote is my opinion

Just those who don't want to be superman/batman or even worse robin's sidekick.

CO is closer than DCUO to CoH, so I would say it is more likely than CoH's players migrate to CO than to DCUO.

Anyway, both games has good thing and bad things so it is a matter of preference.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Vehicles are a nifty addition. Just to clarify, this is just the introduction to the vehicle concept and it is not the final form.

I hope it can be thought in the future as a mirrored version of STO where missions has mostly 2 components(space and ground), while in CO it would be normal combat and vehicle combat.