Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is it?..... (A MMORPG that would be nice to see)

Where is  the MMORPG that has a HUGE open world, where if you can see it, you can get there?

Where is the MMORPG that plops a player into that world and lets them make their reputation through their actions? Let them make themselves a hero, a villian, coward, etc and not simply hand it to them in through linear single player gameplay?

Where is the MMORPG that let's you discover quests through inter-mingling with NPC's in a vibrant, alive world and not make it uninteresting and bland with giant yellow "?'s" over their heads? Which BTW...could lead to actual player interaction to find out where  and/or who a particular player spoke to or where they went to get a particular item of interest.

Where is the MMORPG with world events? Weather changes that effect the player and make them have to adapt? (I.E. Traversing mountains where you wear thicker clothing or risk hypothermia, stamina drain, etc.)

Where is the MMORPG with interesting combat? I guess what I mean here is something more like skyrim's combat. The player has to aim, block, and know when to swing to maximize enemy damage and minimize their own. Not the button mashing and wait for a refresh timer...usually where for a particular class is a combo of a few OP'ed moves/spells.

Where is the MMORPG without levels? Where progression is based on skills achieved and how the player uses them?

Would just be nice to see something a bit different than the current batch of bland, linear, solo heavy, "your the hero, and so is everyone else", quest map GPS laden, fast paced/rat race to the endgame, achievement whoring, gear escentric, cash shop heavy, "supposed MMORPG's" we have now.

Been two years for me without playing because of this...still waiting. But sadly...I think it's a pipe dream and I'll be waiting a long LONG time yet. Just wanted to express this after seeing so many posts about the current games. Meh....

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Whoever put that game out would fail.  That's why nobody has made it, it's not a design that would make it in the mainstream.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Whoever put that game out would fail.  That's why nobody has made it, it's not a design that would make it in the mainstream.

Yes....I assume so, but only because of the features I added at the end would not be in it...which seems what the masses want. Which are NOT MMORPG features...or weren't until WoW made an easy-mode console heavy featured MMO the new thing....effectively killing what made them a seperate genre from console gaming. And also brought with it a new following from that console genre that brought the console mindset of "now now now, gimme gimme gimme".

Although I must add that it actually started in EQ with the Planes of Power expansion. It's just Blizzard made sure to finish it off in grand style. Now they are all nothing more than glorified Massive multi-player single player console games that just happen to have other players running around as animated NPC's...since very few interact beyond their own little groups.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Tell me then, would a game where you're stuff is gone whenever you are killed make it? Would a game where you have to take hours, days, and even weeks to progress to the next "level" make it? A game where you can be killed anywhere at any time? A game that if you aren't careful you could end up losing skills that took so long to level up? 

A game without instant teleportation where it can take hours to find your destination only to be killed half way there? Where you can lose your money so simply on a bad deal or because another player conned you out of it? A game where you take it to the GMs to complain and they say tough, should of used your head a little more?

Tell me, would a game like that make it in the mainstream?

Originally posted by Enerzeal

Tell me then, would a game where you're stuff is gone whenever you are killed make it? Would a game where you have to take hours, days, and even weeks to progress to the next "level" make it? A game where you can be killed anywhere at any time? A game that if you aren't careful you could end up losing skills that took so long to level up? 

A game without instant teleportation where it can take hours to find your destination only to be killed half way there? Where you can lose your money so simply on a bad deal or because another player conned you out of it? A game where you take it to the GMs to complain and they say tough, should of used your head a little more?

According to him and the majority, no. What many fail to understand is that there can be different game feature models that co-exist in the world...and just because it isn't what the majority wants, doesn't mean it will fail. It may have a much smaller fanbase, but it can still make profit if done well.

What makes me laugh is how the "majority" want something new and complain about it quite a bit...but when someone mentions something different, it isn't what the majority wants. What DO they want then? To complain and nothing more? Not happy unless it's like the last game they played, but not happy if it is. Mind boggling.

As I told my daughter about food because all she would eat is hamburgers and fries....try it, it won't kill you, and you may like it. But not trying it, you can't say you don't like it..and you may never know what you were missing. Now she loves nearly all kinds of food and is more open to new things.

But I suppose it also doesn't help that these companies now a days are all buying into the MMORPG market and doing everything they can to bleed it dry. Blinded by dollar signs, they give in to the biggest whiners, and pull MMORPG's further away from being it's own genre and killing all the features that sperated them as such.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

According to him and the majority, no. What many fail to understand is that there can be different game feature models that co-exist in the world...and just because it isn't what the majority wants, doesn't mean it will fail. It may have a much smaller fanbase, but it can still make profit if done well.

What makes me laugh is how the "majority" want something new and complain about it quite a bit...but when someone mentions something different, it isn't what the majority wants. What DO they want then? To complain and nothing more? Not happy unless it's like the last game they played, but not happy if it is. Mind boggling.

As I told my daughter about food because all she would eat is hamburgers and fries....try it, it won't kill you, and you may like it. But not trying it, you can't say you don't like it..and you may never know what you were missing. Now she loves nearly all kinds of food and is more open to new things.

But I suppose it also doesn't help that these companies now a days are all buying into the MMORPG market and doing everything they can to bleed it dry. Blinded by dollar signs, they give in to the biggest whiners, and pull MMORPG's further away from being it's own genre and killing all the features that sperated them as such.

I was actually describing one of the more successful MMO's out there. Eve Online.

I was actually describing one of the more successful MMO's out there. Eve Online.

I figured that as well...but I was thinking in terms of a Fantasy MMORPG along the lines of UO again.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Where is  the MMORPG that has a HUGE open world, where if you can see it, you can get there?

Where is the MMORPG that plops a player into that world and lets them make their reputation through their actions? Let them make themselves a hero, a villian, coward, etc and not simply hand it to them in through linear single player gameplay?

Where is the MMORPG that let's you discover quests through inter-mingling with NPC's in a vibrant, alive world and not make it uninteresting and bland with giant yellow "?'s" over their heads? Which BTW...could lead to actual player interaction to find out where  and/or who a particular player spoke to or where they went to get a particular item of interest.

Where is the MMORPG with world events? Weather changes that effect the player and make them have to adapt? (I.E. Traversing mountains where you wear thicker clothing or risk hypothermia, stamina drain, etc.)

Where is the MMORPG with interesting combat? I guess what I mean here is something more like skyrim's combat. The player has to aim, block, and know when to swing to maximize enemy damage and minimize their own. Not the button mashing and wait for a refresh timer...usually where for a particular class is a combo of a few OP'ed moves/spells.

Where is the MMORPG without levels? Where progression is based on skills achieved and how the player uses them?

Would just be nice to see something a bit different than the current batch of bland, linear, solo heavy, "your the hero, and so is everyone else", quest map GPS laden, fast paced/rat race to the endgame, achievement whoring, gear escentric, cash shop heavy, "supposed MMORPG's" we have now.

Been two years for me without playing because of this...still waiting. But sadly...I think it's a pipe dream and I'll be waiting a long LONG time yet. Just wanted to express this after seeing so many posts about the current games. Meh....

would play it.

I agree current mmorpg's are 'you're special snowflake hero' & 'here you have all pointers, arrows and highlights so you always know what to do'  borefests.  I even stopped playing them.  Thing is modern mmorpg's are not interesting anymore.

Stop 'step by step' stipped themselves from interesting features and added new ones that just increase boredom for a good 7-8 years already.

• TasarakTasarak Member UncommonPosts: 43

I figured that as well...but I was thinking in terms of a Fantasy MMORPG along the lines of UO again.

Pathfinder Online this way......>  https://goblinworks.com/blog/   If your looking for elements of sandbox, opvp, pve, crafting, processing, transport & trading, player run economies, player run settlements/nations & many more activities. This one of the best projects in the pipeline that captures UO/EVE + RPG... Read the entire blog & get an idea of thier design philosphy.   It may be what you are looking for.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193
    Have you tried Mabinogi?  Just out of curiosity.
  • RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

DayZ has become a massive hit.

Very telling that a game like that had to come from a developer's sparetime project and not as a main game.

There is definitely a market for hardcore games, if just the devs could remove their eyes from WoW...

Originally posted by Tasarak

Pathfinder Online this way......>  https://goblinworks.com/blog/   If your looking for elements of sandbox, opvp, pve, crafting, processing, transport & trading, player run economies, player run settlements/nations & many more activities. This one of the best projects in the pipeline that captures UO/EVE + RPG... Read the entire blog & get an idea of thier design philosphy.   It may be what you are looking for.

Actually, I have been reading everything there since yesterday when someone else mentioned it in another thread...ty. It does indeed look interesting. Just a matter of when it may come out...and IF it will. So many projects start and then never materialize. Hopefully, this one comes through...looks right up my alley.

Wouldn't mind seeing another space MMORPG either. Something along the lines of EVE with a different progression system and possibly some planetary exploration (if possible).

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

If you mean long-term success with a mainstream audience, no it wouldn't.  It may make it for a while as a niche audience, but if you're shooting for a million or more subscribers, forget it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None