Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 has been crashing..... everything.

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

This used to happen to me a lot with other games.  It's happened twice before.   It's possible that it's an overheating or power supply issue.  I got mine fixed once and it worked.  Second time, i forgot to add cooling liquid.

Try SpeedFan to monitor the heat levels. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

one of three things comes to mind that causes this:

bad sectors on the hard drive where the game is installed

loose or bad memory sticks

motherboard going bad

Had all three of these things happen to me over about ten year period, they all did the exact same thing, blue screen shut down the computer and started it back up with every diagnostic tool saying everything was fine (with the exception of the hard drive diag that one found the bad sectors).

I'd check my memory first, easiest thing to fix, ground yourself, and reseat the sticks in their seats on the motherboard.

the next thing scan the HD

not sure about how to detect the motherboard issue, my friend worked on that one and he's a tech. 

If you are using Avast i know that has issues with GW2 and i would suggest using this app i use called gamebooster, it turns off all the unnecessary windows crap in the background while you play freeing up memory.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

My PC just completely shut down 2 hours ago while playing. No warning just the black screen and the sound of a running computer fading away. I booted again and checked my core temp and it turned out all my cores were at 99 degrees Celcius. That's the point where my PC shuts itself down to prevent any damage.

I opened the casing and found that the ventilator on the motherboard was fully clogged with dust. I cleaned it some, left the side off the casing and now I'm around 65 degrees Celcius while playing.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    It does not always crash the game. Computer freeze for few sec then goes black screen, and then u can play normally for next 10-15min or rarely it crash the game, blue screen shows and it says it is some memory problem thingy
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    For a game to crash by itself doesn't necessarily mean that there are hardware problems, so long as it is only the game that crashes.  For a game to take down the entire computer tends to be indicative of worse problems, such as bad hardware or drivers.

The only thing I could give up to ArenaNet being an issue on my end would be my drivers. Since I'm currently using the 301. Nvida ones and not the newer Beta drivers that they want you to DL.

I'm a little hesitant to downloading those since I just updated them before for TSW and started getting some issues from that. So to go in and use Beta ones makes me just alittle shaky.

But as far as it being my power supply or any other faulty hardware I just can't accept. My laptop is just over a year old maybe going into a year and half now. Also that I have had no issues along these lines in ANY other MMO.

I've played a good amount of Beta's and other gold release MMO's to not have ecountered this before. It's soley tied to Guild Wars 2 now. When playing my system will get super hot and then it shuts down black screen.. Reboots and brings me to the "Start Windows In Normal" mode options..

Sorry if my Tech Lingo isn't completely up to par.. But I can easily tell my issue is tied to this game specificly..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Michiel

My PC just completely shut down 2 hours ago while playing. No warning just the black screen and the sound of a running computer fading away. I booted again and checked my core temp and it turned out all my cores were at 99 degrees Celcius. That's the point where my PC shuts itself down to prevent any damage.

I opened the casing and found that the ventilator on the motherboard was fully clogged with dust. I cleaned it some, left the side off the casing and now I'm around 65 degrees Celcius while playing.

Right here.. Same.. My laptop will get very very hot.. I don't even get a chance to read what my CPU is running at because it completely shuts down operations.. No Windows is shutting down now.. Just black screen  and reboot..

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Just in case you're still wondering, GW2 isn't crashing anything. It might have crashed once, though I really can't remember if it did. It's probably either a hardware or a drivers issue.

imageimage
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Don't want to spam the thred and can't really help but "me too" I cured my problem my picking up my computer and throwing it out of the window picking it up and plugging it back in. Has not given me one problem since. The new build that got applied may have helped too. Hope you can find the fix for the problem. p.s. don't do what I did to my computer.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by Opapanax
    Originally posted by Michiel

Right here.. Same.. My laptop will get very very hot.. I don't even get a chance to read what my CPU is running at because it completely shuts down operations.. No Windows is shutting down now.. Just black screen  and reboot..

Are you putting that laptop flat on the table or on a soft table protector? If so, raise the rear with something so that the thing can cool down properly. My machine has shut down on me once after a few hours. Now I put the rear on an eraser (high tech I know) so that the hot air isn't constrained to a really narrow slit.

imageimage
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If your laptop gets very, very hot, then have you considered that you might have an overheating problem?  Dust can accumulate with time and degrade the laptop's cooling capabilities if you don't clean it out.

Bad video drivers can cause blue screens, but I haven't heard of them causing a computer to reboot or shut down entirely.

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    For some odd reason when i read "I don't start threads often" i automatically thought of the dos equis commercials lol. On topic, i to had that issue when playing during BWE 3. My computer would freeze up, blue screen, then restart. First thing i thought was my graphics card, only because in other games i had a similar issue. So, i took out my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5570) and put in my very old Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS and i had no problems. Haven't played the game since though, so not sure if i will have that same problem or not .Of course i fully plan to buy a new graphics card before i buy the game.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I was crashing for a bit till I check up on my graphics driver update.

The latest SAPPHIRE HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE driver is on 15/08/12. 

No more crash to desktop since I update 2 days ago.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=0001&pid=497&lid=1#

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Just in case you're still wondering, GW2 isn't crashing anything. It might have crashed once, though I really can't remember if it did. It's probably either a hardware or a drivers issue.

I understand questionings peoples hardware and or drivers.. or if they are even telling the truth and not just trying to spoil others fun..

But wouldn't I have encountered this issue before while playing any other of the numerous games out there.. I've played Starcraft 2, DDO, AION, TERA, EVE, SW:TOR, RIFT, DayZ, Planetside 1, Planetside 2(beta), End of Nations(Beta), The Secret World all just recently in the last year and none of these titles gave me the same issue as I'm having now with GW2..

So I'm pretty confident that whatever this issue is.. It is being caused by Guild Wars 2.. Either through memory leak or something up with the driver interaction. Although again when I have driver issues, it does not totally reboot my computer to having to log back into windows..

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Don't want to spam the thred and can't really help but "me too" I cured my problem my picking up my computer and throwing it out of the window picking it up and plugging it back in. Has not given me one problem since. The new build that got applied may have helped too. Hope you can find the fix for the problem. p.s. don't do what I did to my computer.

No problem, I'm actually glad the thread grew and there are so many potentially useful answers for people in here.  It's nice... well... not nice but you know what I mean, to see others are having the problem.  Maybe if the same issues are posted somewhere like Guru, ANet will see them.  Even in the event that it's a hardware issue, I think GW2 is partially to blame, since it seems people with really good systems are also experiencing the problem.  As for me, it's time to turn this baby off and go dusting...

Originally posted by Quizzical

If your laptop gets very, very hot, then have you considered that you might have an overheating problem?  Dust can accumulate with time and degrade the laptop's cooling capabilities if you don't clean it out.

Bad video drivers can cause blue screens, but I haven't heard of them causing a computer to reboot or shut down entirely.

Yes I believe that it was the OP was trying to get across. His computer is not giving him a Blue Screen of death.. It's not CTD it's totally retarting his computer..

I feel like it's a overheating issue, but then that tells me GW2 is running in some fashion that my computer doesn't like since this is the only game I have gotten this issue with..

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    I had this issue with my power supply I just bought new one now nothing happens... but ur CPU is a bit weak for the game,well graphic  cars is fine
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Just play a selection of other games for a while and see if it happens with them if it does its a computer problem if it doesn't its a GW2 client problem. If its a GW2 client problem just reinstall and see it goes away.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Actually youre game should not crash with this hardware, I have a bit worser hardware and I can stand in 100 enemies while they bash me in WvWvW, seems theyre engine working pretty good. But for some friends having same issue, i told them to reinstall the game, ppl in warhammer/tsw had same crash problems with good hardware, after reinstall it worked ...strange
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I understand questionings peoples hardware and or drivers.. or if they are even telling the truth and not just trying to spoil others fun..

But wouldn't I have encountered this issue before while playing any other of the numerous games out there.. I've played Starcraft 2, DDO, AION, TERA, EVE, SW:TOR, RIFT, DayZ, Planetside 1, Planetside 2(beta), End of Nations(Beta), The Secret World all just recently in the last year and none of these titles gave me the same issue as I'm having now with GW2..

So I'm pretty confident that whatever this issue is.. It is being caused by Guild Wars 2.. Either through memory leak or something up with the driver interaction. Although again when I have driver issues, it does not totally reboot my computer to having to log back into windows..

I'd think a memory leak would affect for more players than just a few people here and there. It's more likely that you need to blow the dust out of your laptop and set it up so that it can cool more easily. I had a similar issue with TOR. TOR just hung me there to dry after a couple of hours. I was sure it as TOR, had to be TOR, other games didn't cause this. But then later I got it on BWE3 as well. I got a cannister of compressed air and you don't want to know how much dust had gathered in my laptop over the years.

After that no more issues, not in TOR not in GW2.

imageimage
    Originally posted by Vapors
    Actually youre game should not crash with this hardware, I have a bit worser hardware and I can stand in 100 enemies while they bash me in WvWvW, seems theyre engine working pretty good. But for some friends having same issue, i told them to reinstall the game, ppl in warhammer/tsw had same crash problems with good hardware, after reinstall it worked ...strange

It was suggested to me by an ex pc-tech friend of mine to do the compressed air thing, so with that I have a lot of suggestions in this thread.  I've just been watching some Netflix until the hardware store opens (I need a screwdriver)... but if nothing else works, I'll try reinstalling.  The thing is, like I said I was able to play all the betas and the release for days without any problems.  *shrug*  I'll figure it out eventually.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

A Windows computer just spontaneously rebooting is not necessarily the sign of a hardware problem. Several years ago Microsoft made the default BSOD (blue screen of death) action a reboot. Not a blue screen. Although they may have reversed this horrible decision in Win7?

Anyway, the setting can be changed in System Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and recovery settings > System Failure - automatically restart (uncheck this). Sometimes seeing the bluescreen can give you a clue as to where the problem might lie. Like with a video or sound driver etc.. This may just be a bug in the GW2 code that is causing a crash. I.E. if you're not having problems with your other software too, don't panic.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Vapors

It was suggested to me by an ex pc-tech friend of mine to do the compressed air thing, so with that I have a lot of suggestions in this thread.  I've just been watching some Netflix until the hardware store opens (I need a screwdriver)... but if nothing else works, I'll try reinstalling.  The thing is, like I said I was able to play all the betas and the release for days without any problems.  *shrug*  I'll figure it out eventually.

yes same with my friend, he played wvwvw in betas with 20 fps, after beta 3 fps

Originally posted by Pynda

A Windows computer just spontaneously rebooting is not necessarily the sign of a hardware problem. Several years ago Microsoft made the default BSOD (blue screen of death) action a reboot. Not a blue screen. Although they may have reversed this horrible decision in Win7?

Anyway, the setting can be changed in System Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and recovery settings > System Failure - automatically restart (uncheck this). Sometimes seeing the bluescreen can give you a clue as to where the problem might lie. Like with a video or sound driver etc.. This may just be a bug in the GW2 code that is causing a crash. I.E. if you're not having problems with your other software too, don't panic.

Nice, great idea.  I was wondering if there was a workaround for that... obviously it's hard to copy down the blue screen code if it's only on the monitor for a 10th of a second lol

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Pynda

Nice, great idea.  I was wondering if there was a workaround for that... obviously it's hard to copy down the blue screen code if it's only on the monitor for a 10th of a second lol

Dont play nothing if you even remotely suspect computer/hardware overheating!!!

I had my GFX card fry - and had to replace half PC , because i ignored clear signs of overheating!

That's the problem though, while running two different heat monitors, one of them never got above critical level even while I was playing and the other showed one "fire" icon (meaning very hot I expect) in a list of 5 or more components.  The rest were normal to low temps.  Gah!  It's doing my head in.