Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 has been crashing..... everything.

Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

Hey guys.  I don't start threads often, but I'm perplexed at this potential tech issue on my end....... but is it really on my end?  I looked up the problem on Google and apparently others are having the same thing happen to them, namely their PC getting a black or blue screen or just suddenly "stuttering" and then restarting completely while playing GW2.  I've checked my CPU heat, I don't think that's the problem, and all my drivers are up to date, but still I and others are experiencing this rather game breaking bug.

It doesn't happen on other games, and up until yesterday it never happened in GW2 either.  Now suddenly, I could find myself doing any number of random in-game things and have to wait for my computer to boot up again, and it's getting annoying.

I haven't had many of the minor issues people are kvetching about day and night here, but when a game turns your computer off, you start to get a little irritated.  I haven't seen a thread about this, and maybe the issue is rare, but if anyone has any info maybe they could fill me in.

«13

Comments

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    What hardware do you have?  In particular, what power supply, what case, what processor, and what video card?  That sounds like it could be a power problem, which is the sort of thing that you really, really don't want to mess with, as it can lead to dead hardware.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,481Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eir_S

    Hey guys.  I don't start threads often, but I'm perplexed at this potential tech issue on my end....... but is it really on my end?  I looked up the problem on Google and apparently others are having the same thing happen to them, namely their PC getting a black or blue screen or just suddenly "stuttering" and then restarting completely while playing GW2.  I've checked my CPU heat, I don't think that's the problem, and all my drivers are up to date, but still I and others are experiencing this rather game breaking bug.

    It doesn't happen on other games, and up until yesterday it never happened in GW2 either.  Now suddenly, I could find myself doing any number of random in-game things and have to wait for my computer to boot up again, and it's getting annoying.

    I haven't had many of the minor issues people are kvetching about day and night here, but when a game turns your computer off, you start to get a little irritated.  I haven't seen a thread about this, and maybe the issue is rare, but if anyone has any info maybe they could fill me in.

    Sounds like a power supply issue.  Also, what kind of equipment do you have plugged in to that electric circuit? 

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

    I'm not finding the power supply on a diagnostics, not sure what to look for.  The item in question says: Thermaltake Purepower 500  ATX 12V 2.0... don't know how much help that is.

    Gfx card (don't laugh) ... ATI Radeon HD 3800 series

    4g RAM

    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

    3.01 Ghz

     

  • OUT51D3ROUT51D3R saskatoon, SKPosts: 8Member Uncommon
    If you have an Nvidia card, update to the 304.79 beta drivers.  I was having issues like you described, and updating to that driver solved it.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon

    You not getting disconnects are you? 

     

    edit - I read the whole thing now... Graphics card or mother board going bad. I had this a couple years ago while playing WoW. 

     

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by bcbully
    You not getting disconnects are you?

    No, I have had no problems staying connected to the server, just the game, and earlier it went for hours without crashing.. but most of the time now it stops after 15 or 20 minutes.  When it crashes, everything crashes.  It's weird, and it's hard to enjoy the game this way.

  • VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon
    Even with the 304.79 beta drivers, there is a terrible memory leak going on as the game degrades in performance an hour or so after logging in, if I don't restart the client after it starts chugging, it will crash my machine and force it to reboot automatically.  This is with a GTX 680 with moderate factory over-clocking.

    image
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon

    Yep, that sure sounds like a power supply issue.  The Thermaltake Purepower line is junk, of the sort that you should consider replacing even if you weren't having immediate problems.  Get a proper power supply and the problems may go away.  This will get the job done:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

    Also, I'd advise against playing any games (not just GW2) until you replace your power supply.  You don't want the power supply to fry everything so that you have to replace the entire computer, not just the power supply.  It may well have already damaged other components, but even if not, it's likely working on it and putting an undue strain on other hardware.

  • kevjardskevjards carlislePosts: 1,463Member
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by bcbully
    You not getting disconnects are you?

    No, I have had no problems staying connected to the server, just the game, and earlier it went for hours without crashing.. but most of the time now it stops after 15 or 20 minutes.  When it crashes, everything crashes.  It's weird, and it's hard to enjoy the game this way.

    that to me sounds like your hardware is overheating..get it checked out..or take the side panel off and see how clogged it is.i clean my pc once every 2 weeks or that shit starts happening..does'nt help when you smoke 40 ciggies a day next to it..you should see the crap that gets in..also check you base unit fans are working.if you have no cool air goin in your pc will do the safety stuff by switching off or restarting.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Even with the 304.79 beta drivers, there is a terrible memory leak going on as the game degrades in performance an hour or so after logging in, if I don't restart the client after it starts chugging, it will crash my machine and force it to reboot automatically.  This is with a GTX 680 with moderate factory over-clocking.

    Yeah... damn it that's what I figured.  Someone on another forum was saying it's a massive memory hog.  I'm still holding out the possibility that the trouble is on my end, but I'm starting to worry... mostly because if enough people don't have the issue (and let's face it, ANet has plenty of other things on their mind right now), I won't feel secure playing for a while.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical

    Yep, that sure sounds like a power supply issue.  The Thermaltake Purepower line is junk, of the sort that you should consider replacing even if you weren't having immediate problems.  Get a proper power supply and the problems may go away.  This will get the job done:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

    Also, I'd advise against playing any games (not just GW2) until you replace your power supply.  You don't want the power supply to fry everything so that you have to replace the entire computer, not just the power supply.  It may well have already damaged other components, but even if not, it's likely working on it and putting an undue strain on other hardware.

    Awesome, thanks for the link.  I hate when people say "you need this" but don't link to something they'd recommend.  60 bucks is doable too.  I should have mentioned this happened on other games too, but it's been so long I don't remember which.  It's possible they have the same memory issues as GW2.

    And I will definitely take the time to clean out the fans, I've been slacking (but I don't smoke lol).  Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,916Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Quizzical

    Yep, that sure sounds like a power supply issue.  The Thermaltake Purepower line is junk, of the sort that you should consider replacing even if you weren't having immediate problems.  Get a proper power supply and the problems may go away.  This will get the job done:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066

    Also, I'd advise against playing any games (not just GW2) until you replace your power supply.  You don't want the power supply to fry everything so that you have to replace the entire computer, not just the power supply.  It may well have already damaged other components, but even if not, it's likely working on it and putting an undue strain on other hardware.

    Awesome, thanks for the link.  I hate when people say "you need this" but don't link to something they'd recommend.  60 bucks is doable too.  I should have mentioned this happened on other games too, but it's been so long I don't remember which.  It's possible they have the same memory issues as GW2.

    And I will definitely take the time to clean out the fans, I've been slacking (but I don't smoke lol).  Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

    Wasn't one of the Mass Effect games was it? Because I had the same issue on one of those (not sure which at this point) after the next patch it never happened again.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Hmm, no I don't think it was Mass Effect, but I do think it was a FPS.  Hopefully a "patch" is introduced soon, either way.  I mean sure, the Trading Post is nice and all, but focusing all their efforts on game-breaking issues seems to be the smartest thing to do right now.
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,466Member Uncommon

    Diagnostics is such a huge area,so many things to check for.

    Most certainly start by using a virus scan in safe mode,very important to do it in safe mode.

    If there are any kind of artifacts or markings on your desktop then your gpu is failing but not likely the problem.

    I would say it is 75% a virus.The other high probability is over time you can get corrupted window/operating system files.Removing things can maybe remove needed files and past/former viruses may have corrupted some files.

    You can try use your windows CD to check the files,not likely as most people have systems with loaded windows no cd.If completely stuck then sadly a full wipe and reinstall Windows.


    Samoan Diamond

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Even with the 304.79 beta drivers, there is a terrible memory leak going on as the game degrades in performance an hour or so after logging in, if I don't restart the client after it starts chugging, it will crash my machine and force it to reboot automatically.  This is with a GTX 680 with moderate factory over-clocking.

    Video drivers wouldn't likely affect memory leaks.  Besides, memory leaks are pretty easy to spot:  just check the amount of memory that a process is using in Task Manager, and if the general trend is to use more memory as time passes (there should be a lot of second-to-second fluctuation, but you need to see the long-term trend), then you've got memory leaks.

    Furthermore, while memory leaks could cause a program to crash, they shouldn't cause a computer to automatically restart.  A 32-bit program can't address more than 2 GB of system memory, so that shouldn't even be able to cause excessive paging to disk on a computer with 4 GB of system memory.

  • rguilbertrguilbert Key West, FLPosts: 107Member

    I can't play the game either.  I crash at the same various places  (like the bridge to the defend the garrison encounter after creating human).  The crashes cause the screen to go black, with only the cursor and sound remaining.  Sometimes if I wait 30 seconds or so, it  comes back up.  Most of the time I have to task manager out to close it.

     

    I have decent system specs, updated drivers, and am getting 40 FPS or so before the crashes. 

  • fyerwallfyerwall Posts: 3,155Member Uncommon

    It could very well be an overheating issue or the power supply. 

    If you can, try adjusting the fan speed on your GPU and see if your PC  kicks you into a hard restart again. 

    There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"


    image

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eir_S

    I'm not finding the power supply on a diagnostics, not sure what to look for.  The item in question says: Thermaltake Purepower 500  ATX 12V 2.0... don't know how much help that is.

    Gfx card (don't laugh) ... ATI Radeon HD 3800 series

    4g RAM

    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

    3.01 Ghz

     

    Also, if you want to know why I say the power supply is junk, check here:

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-Purepower-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/990/7

    It's a "500 W" power supply, but the voltages run out of spec if they try to pull more than about 300 W from it, and it shuts down entirely if they try to pull 400 W.  And that's when it's brand new; power supply performance tends to worsen as a power supply ages.  Elsewhere in the review, they found that pulling 500 W from the power supply would have run a rectifying bridge way, way out of spec, so it theoretically shouldn't work.

    The power supply that I linked is only rated at 450 W, but it will keep everything well within spec even if you pull 450 W from it.

    For comparison, under a fairly heavy gaming load, I'd expect your computer to pull about 200 W from the power supply.

  • OpapanaxOpapanax Rochester, NYPosts: 973Member

    I have this issue as well and was having it in Beta too. I don't beleive it's a power supply issue because it does not happen in any other MMO or beta that I have played in the last year where my system totally shuts down and reboots back up from DOS.

    Whenever this occurrs I do notice an increase in the heat output from my laptop (Which normally runs fairly cool) and I can hear it churing up the fan to high rev. just before it goes down. It didn't really happen to me in the first week of play but has now started to show up again. I'll usually get this once or twice per play session..

    "Glad" to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I thought at one point where I had mentioned this on the forum during BWE's that someone said it was linked to the Asus G73 that I have. The poster had the same setup himself and alerted me to it. I was hoping it would've got worked out in Beta, but it doesn't seem so..

    PM before you report at least or you could just block.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Opapanax

     reboots back up from DOS.

    Wait, what?  You're still running DOS?  GW2 will run on a DOS-based system?  I'm guessing you mean watching the system POST.

  • LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,060Member Uncommon

    I had one hard freeze (PC freezes and you must hard reset) during the beta.

    And that one followed game crushing (to desktop) every minute.

    But that was in beta.

    Game still crushes here and there , but its very rare.

     

    Here is what I would suggest to you.

    1. If you have onboard sound card - get new drivers for it. Onboard soundcards are no1 reason for hard freeze.

    2. Check your GFX Card heat - Are its ventilators working properly ?

    3. Does your PC makes a lot of noise whlie playing ? Perhaps the whole PC is overheating ?

    4. memory , hd - check them.

     

    If nothing helps

    Know that there is always "that" configuration that causes problems.

    image

  • kostoslavkostoslav somborPosts: 459Member
    I had the same problem like many others. but it is not power supply problem cuz i dont have same thing in other games. They all run fine, only gw2. I have managed to fix the problem. I have nvidia and in my nvidia settings I changed on multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration from multiple to compatibility mode and now it works fine.
    U can see on the net thet there are alot of ppl having this problem just in gw2. Is it possible that we all started having power supply iproblem in the same time? Is it possibe that gw2 screw our hardware?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    For a game to crash by itself doesn't necessarily mean that there are hardware problems, so long as it is only the game that crashes.  For a game to take down the entire computer tends to be indicative of worse problems, such as bad hardware or drivers.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    That something only causes trouble in one game doesn't necessarily mean it's not a hardware problem.  Some games push your hardware harder than others.  Champions Online caused a lot of people with Nvidia cards to have their card overheat, even though the card was fine in other games.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,333Member Uncommon

     If you're getting a blue screen then  all those letters and numbers that seems like nonsense contain the answer to your problem. Download blue screen viewer to make sense of the info it's telling you, so snap a picture of ithe blue screen with your smart phone.  There's also your windows event viewer that can point to what was going on at the time of the restart and crash.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.