Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

9/1/2012 Status Update [ArenaNet]

Comments

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Yea, unlock the trading post when there is known account hacking to be going on.

That would be SUCH a fun time getting all those tickets (and having to sort through the fake ones).

Seems to me like they are fixing the bigger problems first and with great care.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by Sheepduck
    In those " 6 hrs" our gem sales decreased so we have decided to take down the AH for another week to sucker you into buying more gems. Thats what they mean right?

I've been enjoying the game since the head start began but I do find it funny that throughout the bugs and trading post problems that the gem store has been going without a hitch, gotta make that money

Or if we look at it putting the conspiracies aside, the regular AH has a ton more demand from players meaning it's under tremendous load and spam, unlike the gem store that only some people use, and even then the gem store has been reported to have hiccups and freezings too. Also they must be on different servers and under additional protection when it comes to gem store since it uses cred card info. Just maybe.

If that is true please explain why they cant manage a simple forum. When you start connecting the dots it all starts to add up and not their favor.

First of all, you dont think that's possible what I said? Really not even a small chance? That the standard AH is under a shitton of more load and on a different hardware?

Second, they dont have a forum up, for the same reason I wouldnt have forum up for the couple of first weeks after launch, massive trolling and abuse of the forums taking a huge amount of resources to maintain and to moderate, endless hater vs. fanboy total war threads, having very little actual help or usefulness for customers, just like in every mmorpg launch ever. Just a guess.

You give me one example of any other MMO that didnt have a AH or a forum in the 1st week. Its not acceptable in this day and age to release a game not finished. I understand the fanbois can try and brush these under the table, but in a month when everyone starts to realize there is no endgame or what they do have is broken the $#$@ will hit the fan.

You give me an example of an MMO in this day in age that had 400k people on AT THE SAME TIME just mere hours after launch (at midnight pacific), with a TP that's across every server. 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    In those " 6 hrs" our gem sales decreased so we have decided to take down the AH for another week to sucker you into buying more gems. Thats what they mean right?

I've been enjoying the game since the head start began but I do find it funny that throughout the bugs and trading post problems that the gem store has been going without a hitch, gotta make that money

Or if we look at it putting the conspiracies aside, the regular AH has a ton more demand from players meaning it's under tremendous load and spam, unlike the gem store that only some people use, and even then the gem store has been reported to have hiccups and freezings too. Also they must be on different servers and under additional protection when it comes to gem store since it uses cred card info. Just maybe.

If that is true please explain why they cant manage a simple forum. When you start connecting the dots it all starts to add up and not their favor.

First of all, you dont think that's possible what I said? Really not even a small chance? That the standard AH is under a shitton of more load and on a different hardware?

Second, they dont have a forum up, for the same reason I wouldnt have forum up for the couple of first weeks after launch, massive trolling and abuse of the forums taking a huge amount of resources to maintain and to moderate, endless hater vs. fanboy total war threads, having very little actual help or usefulness for customers, just like in every mmorpg launch ever. Just a guess.

You give me one example of any other MMO that didnt have a AH or a forum in the 1st week. Its not acceptable in this day and age to release a game not finished. I understand the fanbois can try and brush these under the table, but in a month when everyone starts to realize there is no endgame or what they do have is broken the $#$@ will hit the fan.

Well most if not all mmorpgs I've played had AH based on your current server, while in GW2 it is the same AH across all the servers, meaning it blows up if they didnt prepare well enough. Even so, the AH often bugs on launch, recent example is TOR, they had realm based AH's like most mmorpgs and in the start it was almost impossible if not impossible to use it. Sure it was "up" but it was unusable.

I expect to have massive problems on every mmorpg launch the next ten to twenty years also, when Blizzard launches Titan I promise it will be full of this same crap on launch weeks like every single mmorpg because of the very basic nature of mmorpgs, hundreds of thousands of people "attacking" the servers and services.

Originally posted by stayBlind

Yea, unlock the trading post when there is known account hacking to be going on.

That would be SUCH a fun time getting all those tickets (and having to sort through the fake ones).

There is only so much they can do. They have an email authentication system, if you choose to use it. However, it's also your responsibility to use an email and password that you dont' have tied to other MMOs. It's not Anet being hacked, it's the end-user who either already had their email/password in some database from other MMOs, or had some preexisting maleware installed on their end. 

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by bookworm438

You give me an example of an MMO in this day in age that had 400k people on AT THE SAME TIME just mere hours after launch (at midnight pacific), with a TP that's across every server. 

Easy SWTOR and so will Panda had/will have millions about the cross server thing if you dont know how to do why try it?
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Honestly, if people wanted endgame, I would think they would just go to the game that has traditional endgame (WoW and everything before and after that copies it), instead of trying to force a square peg (traditional) onto a round hole (GW2) . Of course, if ArenaNet somehow manages to change shape of the square peg to fit their game's base design, then it might not be an issue.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

That would be a good reason and if it were a true reason it would serve Guild Wars 2 well if they put that information up in an official 1st party place. 

Easy SWTOR and so will Panda had/will have millions about the cross server thing if you dont know how to do why try it?

Neither has a trading post that's available across every server. The trading post there is limited to your server. Guild Wars 2 trading post is global. 

Not to mentoin that Panda is an expansion, meaning Blizzard has had 8 years to flesh out their ah to handle extra load. 

Yea, unlock the trading post when there is known account hacking to be going on.That would be SUCH a fun time getting all those tickets (and having to sort through the fake ones).Seems to me like they are fixing the bigger problems first and with great care.

Oh another good excuse...why cant you admit they failed at parts of their game. AH, forums, broken endgame/lack therof, lag, poor customer service and poor network security.

Neither has a trading post that's available across every server. The trading post there is limited to your server. Guild Wars 2 trading post is global. 

Not to mentoin that Panda is an expansion, meaning Blizzard has had 8 years to flesh out their ah to handle extra load. 

I know they dont and GW2 shouldnt have either since they clearly are over their heads.

Oh another good excuse...why cant you admit they failed at parts of their game. AH, forums, broken endgame/lack therof, lag, poor customer service and poor network security.

lag -- Very little lag whatsoever, and only when they are doing maintenance.

AH -- They've kept us updated.

Forums -- They've kept us updated.

Broken endgame -- I've only seen one post on endgame, and have seen no other posts regarding endgame yet. 

Poor customer service -- When your bombarded with thousands of tickets, and people not follow directions when submitting tickets (i.e. bumping/submitting new tickets), of course it's going to take a while. After the initial influx of users is done, response time should be better.

Network security -- There have been no security breaches on Anet's part. All hacked accounts are due to players using email/passwords that they use for other MMOs. Remember battle.net was recently hacked, with many account emails/passwords stolen. Those that are being hacked are using account emails and passwords tied to other services, or they have preexisting maleware on their computer.

I know they dont and GW2 shouldnt have either since they clearly are over their heads.

Or it could be that Anet is attempting something rarely done before in a AAA MMO, and they underestimated the load. If we stay in this mindset of "doesn't work on first time, go back to old ways", nothing will ever advance. If Anet didn't have such a high concurrency, I'm betting the TP would work great. 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    (...)

I would actually prefer server-locked trading posts and gem-for-gold system since it would be another major form in which a server would cooperate other than through PvP in World vs World. It would also solve my gripe with the gem for gold system since then selling gems will just mean that the gold stays within your server which would make it ok.

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

"You get what you pay for". Isn't that what they say ? 

Seriously, I wouldn't expect any good customer service from Anet. After all, they are fully owned by NCSoft, and from my personal past experience with them in CoH, TR, and Lineage 2, I'd never pick up any other title from this publisher.

Good thing is I thoroughly played GW2 in BWEs  and I consider the game to be extremely mediocre, so passing on this title was an easy thing to do.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Keep in mind that GW2's TP should be the one that requires the most load and bandwidth across all MMOs available.

Why? Because:

- It is global, which means it effectively links the market between every server. 

- It is centralized, which means it should surpass even EVE's region-based market demand by far (a single-server MMO, something impressive IMO), anyone anywhere will be communicating with the same Trading Post as everyone else.

So this system is the "weakest link" when it comes to launch issues, it effectively has no limitations of any kind as any other MMO has. And there's also the forums which the vocal minority use and obviously would be packed with complaints like any other MMO, with the bonus feature of no subscriptions meaning someone will be able to use it one year from now to post whatever they want even if they don't play anymore and hate the game. Sure, we live in a democracy and people get to voice their complaints, but Anet chose not to spend the infrastructure effort of managing forums for now while they work on other problems, so we still see those valid complaints, just not using ANet resources.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

There is only so much they can do. They have an email authentication system, if you choose to use it. However, it's also your responsibility to use an email and password that you dont' have tied to other MMOs. It's not Anet being hacked, it's the end-user who either already had their email/password in some database from other MMOs, or had some preexisting maleware installed on their end. 

Thing is I have a feeling Anet was hacked, most likely through their forum system (hence it being down). As for their email auth system, its a joke and hardly works - best part is when you change the email it send the confirmation to the new address, not the old one... talk about secure, lets just make it easier to hyjack an account without the actual owner having any potential way of preventing it from being stolen.

There are a ton of security measures they could have taken/built into the system that would have eased all the headaches customers are having today. Like it or not Anet really dropped the ball here and just keep fumbling as they try to recover. The game runs great for the most part, but their idea of security and prevention did not exist from the get go.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Whatever you fanbois say, fact is

- this game is missing mandatory CS-functions

- and other mandatory ingame features are out of order.

- and it has massive login-issues of different nature, caused by predictable overload, mainly.

It doesnt matter for a customer, why they have no functions and why they are overloaded or what the reason for ArenaNets approach is. The game does not work as supposed. ArenaNet was not prepared as they should have been.

The datacenter-infrastructure is obviously rather weak, and has no spare-capacities or the SLAs are not appropriate. I expected that the B2P model will have some obstacles due to less revenue and less predictable revenue. It seems they implemented a very cost-effective but rather inflexible infrastructure.

The game itself is nice. Best themepark ever for me. Well, i would give GW2 a 45 out of 100, if everything would work. You know, themeparks cant get more than 50 at all, due to missing functionality and limited design by nature.

I already saw games with login issues. I also saw games with functions disabled. And I saw games with forums down. But all together over a period of more than a week is really a new dimension of MMO-Quality.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by Krytycal

No word on the official forums yet? It's 2012, it's really not that hard to host a forum.

Follow the link I posted. Yes there is information on official forums. 

"

Forums
    Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit."

Because we all know it would be full of irate and irrational customers demanding Anet sorts their problem out before everyone else's.

Personally I think they did the right thing taking the forums down, it would be full of crap the first week anyway, whine apon whine apon whine, nothing constructive, constantly repeated threads, heated debates over something extremely trivial, and basically the end of the world.

As for the Gem shop being open, well they've got to get some revenue in once box sales have stopped, I won't begrudge them earning a living from the game, I can imagine it was top of the list when the game went live, who around here goes to work for nothing? I certainly don't.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I really hope that the many people on this thread who can't look at this issue from a grown-up perspective aren't playing the game, as I wanted the kids to remain in WoW.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Broken endgame -- I've only seen one post on endgame, and have seen no other posts regarding endgame yet. 

Poor customer service -- When your bombarded with thousands of tickets, and people not follow directions when submitting tickets (i.e. bumping/submitting new tickets), of course it's going to take a while. After the initial influx of users is done, response time should be better.

Network security -- There have been no security breaches on Anet's part. All hacked accounts are due to players using email/passwords that they use for other MMOs. Remember battle.net was recently hacked, with many account emails/passwords stolen. Those that are being hacked are using account emails and passwords tied to other services, or they have preexisting maleware on their computer.

This middle problem makes your some of other points moot as why is the CS overloaded, having forums would take the strain off of CS by letting the community sort out minor problems, they would also have a great resource to look at a leisure to see what bugs players are finding and what is broken and they could have a temporary trading post on the forums like some MMO's have to ease frustration with the TP in game. Also just because you are not experiencing lag doesn't mean others are not . But instead they've got everyone sending in CS tickets for every problem under the sun with many formating the tickets incorrectly and getting ignored. But they'd rather have that than risk the massive negative publicity that the forum would surely be. Ill prepared is an uinderstatement at this time. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by Calerxes

This middle problem makes your some of other points moot as why is the CS overloaded, having forums would take the strain off of CS by letting the community sort out minor problems, they would also have a great resource to look at a leisure to see what bugs players are finding and what is broken and they could have a temporary trading post on the forums like some MMO's have to ease frustration with the TP in game. Also just because you are not experiencing lag doesn't mean others are not . But instead they've got everyone sending in CS tickets for every problem under the sun with many formating the tickets incorrectly and getting ignored. But they'd rather have that than risk the massive negative publicity that the forum would surely be. Ill prepared is an uinderstatement at this time. 

You've obviously never worked as CS. Seriously people should spend 1 day as CS anywhere and they would never complain about cs in any game whatsoever.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

The forum's are something that should have been their from the start. No excuse for them not to be .

Now if it's like some people believe ( which I doubt Myself ) and that they are keeping the forums down to stem the tide of nagativity on them .. then it's a stupid move .

What's worse ?

People being nagative on your own forums .. 

or 

People being nagative across multiple forums , Facebook, Twitter, Reddit etc etc because they can't access an official forum.

It's why i doubt they are being kept down for some kind of conspiracy reason .. because no one is that stupid right ?

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by EricDanie

Keep in mind that GW2's TP should be the one that requires the most load and bandwidth across all MMOs available.

Why? Because:

- It is global, which means it effectively links the market between every server. 

- It is centralized, which means it should surpass even EVE's region-based market demand by far (a single-server MMO, something impressive IMO), anyone anywhere will be communicating with the same Trading Post as everyone else.

Sorry, but the eve market is the same "server farm" for all regions. But the CCP have actually put decent hardware behind their market, that is why it's so speedy.

TSW also has a global market (across all servers).

GW2's TP is just a poorly written web app that runs in an embeded browser in the game. I had access to it for about five minutes earlier and in that time I managed to post three items before it went down again. Each one took over a minute to post.

http://www.ramsan.com/resources/successStories/71

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by tyfon

Sorry, but the eve market is the same "server farm" for all regions. But the CCP have actually put decent hardware behind their market, that is why it's so speedy.

GW2's TP is just a poorly written web app that runs in an embeded browser in the game. I had access to it for about five minutes earlier and in that time I managed to post three items before it went down again. Each one took over a minute to post.

Neither TSW or EVE has number of concurrent players as high as GW2. If you've participated in any of GW2's BWE you would have know that the TP worked fine then.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by SnarkRitter
    Originally posted by tyfon

Neither TSW or EVE has number of concurrent players as high as GW2. If you've participated in any of GW2's BWE you would have know that the TP worked fine then.

So you say that if ANet had invested in better hardware and optimized the software the market would have been just as slow?

Anyway, EVE had 60k concurrent users in 2010 and the market has insanly more detail and options. And it returns from searches/listings in under one second instead of one minute.