Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your idea of a good endgame?

There's been a lot of talk about end game lately in comparison w/ GW2 and WoW and every other big mmo out there. But I'd like ask the community's opinion instead of reading complaint threads about endgame not being present or all around sucking ass. So I guess I just want to know your ideas of details that make or would make a good endgame?

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

What makes a good end game?  One that isnt based on bait and switch.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• arcanistarcanist Member Posts: 163

no endgame.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by JayDose

There's been a lot of talk about end game lately in comparison w/ GW2 and WoW and every other big mmo out there. But I'd like ask the community's opinion instead of reading complaint threads about endgame not being present or all around sucking ass. So I guess I just want to know your ideas of details that make or would make a good endgame?

Its funny you ask this being a game Dev myself, I ask gamers questions all the time, and get Bullshit answers kinda like the 2nd poster did, I think people/gamers like to complain period.

I bet if all of us Devs made a game that gamers directed the way they wanted 100% They still would find a way to cry period.!!

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37
    Should be one that does not depend on constant supply of new contents. You shouldn't feel that you have "finished" the game like you do at the end of a single player game.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Castillle

What makes a good end game?  One that isnt based on bait and switch.

exactly this.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    None. Because everyone's concept of the perfect/close to perfect "endgame" is different, and they each seem to loathe each other to the point that you would be better off just not asking at all.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    One involving territory control and resource denial. See DAOC, Lineage 1/2, Shadowbane and EVE for good examples.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i would like to see a massive catacombs the size of the game world filled with all kinds of random characters and scripted events. It would be designed for groups of  one to three and though you could zerg it, more than 3 players in an area would attract unwanted attention like in moria in lord of the rings.  Lots of traps, dead ends, and mystery.

you never know what youll find.. or awaken down there.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

"End Game" means the end of the game, to me. This is where I roll a new alt and play some more, if I am having fun. I am not going to do the "dailies dance" and am not into raiding.

It sure would be nice to NOT reach the end of the game in 30 days or less...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    No endgame at all, of course.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

How about not having one.

EQ managed to constantly have new content/expansions release at a rate you RARELY saw players at top level with the best stuff. And you never ran out of new places to explore. End-game was a term that didn't exist. When I think of end-game...I think of console games, where sadly is the route all MMORPG's have gone.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    When you hit max level the game should begin not end, kinda like EQ1 content wise.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    THAT is a tough question, one I asked myself for years. So far, I am no wiser. Every Endgame I have seen was very quickly dull. Open PVP is good, but even that gets old over time. I dunno. Somehow maybe sandbox elements with Player Cities asf like in SWG would help. I am not sure with the mentality today ANY endgame could work, at least none I can imagine.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ChirikitiChirikiti Member CommonPosts: 18

There shouldn't be an 'endgame'. I guess it's too much to hope for that people will move away from this concept though.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

As others have said, there should not be an endgame.  Different people will have different opinions on what exactly it means not to have an endgame.  Some will even point out that the whole game is the endgame - twisted, eh?  Consider EVE - the whole game's the "endgame" to some.

It's a MMORPG - so right off the back, it's a virtual world - right?  Let's step over into the real world for a moment - endgame?  Retiring, ending up in a home, doing the same things over and over until we die...?  Heh, oddly enough that sounds like endgame.  Okay, how about the 60-80 years leading up to that part?

That's what a MMORPG should be, imho.

I don't want to head down to the cafeteria at the old folk's home day after day hoping that they have green jello - oops, no green jello today - I'll try again tomorrow.  Yeah... that's not my thing.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• WinterclawWinterclaw Member Posts: 28

No endgame.

More percisely the concept of having a tut stage, a grinding stage, and an endgame needs to be abolished.  Get rid of the grind and go from tut to the real game.

• uncleFesteruncleFester Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

"End Game" means the end of the game, to me. This is where I roll a new alt and play some more, if I am having fun. I am not going to do the "dailies dance" and am not into raiding.

It sure would be nice to NOT reach the end of the game in 30 days or less...

That's the wy I feel about it. Back in the good old days, the games weren't designed to blast you to the level cap then throw you into the raiding treadmill, which I find to be insanely boring. Asheron's Call, the first MMO I played, basicaly had no level cap and no one really cared, we just kept playing and they kept updating the game every month with new things to do.

The best endgame, is no endgame.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Meaningless leveling game, locked raids, and a subscription to pay money for running the same thing once a week.
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    community and world building..   and I wish that it would take LONGER to get to max level.. 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No endgame - e.g. eve

If you must have endgame, then daoc style (pre toa).
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    I think EQ did it best for me. It had massive raids but you weren't tied into doing them, like they had epic quests and dungeons to wander through, but more importantly they had Alternate Advancement so even if you were just bashing mobs at max level you were still improving. It beats me why other devs haven't used AA.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

My idea of a good end game would be one where the game transitioned from being a theme park to being an open world game. It wouldn't have to be a full on sandbox, but an open world game in the manner of Skyrim or Fallout 3. Players could own land or houses, farm, fight monsters when they wanted and engage in political shenanigans until the next expansion.

** edit **

Some people are going to take this to mean open world pvp. That isn't what I meant. I was thinking more of open world pve. PvP should be possible, but it shouldn't be the primary focus of the game, unless that was the focus of the game up to that point.

An example would be the towns in Fable, where if the players helped the economy in some way, the town would grow more prosperous. If the players lead a life of crime, never helping the good guys, the town would degenerate into a lawless den of evil.

Players should be able to start trading posts, that would grow into towns. If the game focused a lot of PvP, then other players might be able to raid the town. If the game focused on PvE, then other players wouldn't be able to raid the town, but they might be able to start a trading post that would absorb more resources than the existing towns.

Raids could still exist, but they would focus more on open world raids.

When expansions came, players would move on to new content. They might move on to new open world areas, or maybe they would come back to the existing open world area, but it would be bigger.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    One involving territory control and resource denial. See DAOC, Lineage 1/2, Shadowbane and EVE for good examples.

this ^

Though I dont' believe in "end game" so it should be "this" all the time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo