Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible company

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Here's a bit of info on this from their game status update for Sept. 1:

Hacked Accounts

Our customer support team is prioritizing tickets from customers with hacked accounts or who are otherwise blocked from logging into the game. If your account was hacked, please follow these instructions for submitting a ticket, to make sure that your ticket is correctly prioritized and to make sure you're submitting all the information we need to restore your access.

For hacked accounts, expect a response within 72 hours. As of this writing we're working on tickets submitted August 30. If you submitted a hacked account ticket on August 29 or earlier, and haven't received a response yet, your ticket may not be correctly prioritized. In that case, please submit a new ticket using the above instructions, and in the title write, "Hacked Account - Ticket submitted August 2x - Ticket number xxxxxx-xxxxxx" (fill in the date and ticket number), and we will prioritize your existing (August 29 or earlier) ticket.

Also you can try calling:

512-225-6359
    Mon-Fri
    12pm to 5pm, Central

It's NCSoft West's billing and technical support number.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by WizGamer
    The same thing happened to me as well. They did not notify the players of this hacking unless the players had been checking their website. I was completely caugh off-guard having not played in the past 5 days or so. Also, all you assholes who are blaming the players, please STOP. God forbid someone use the same information on one game as the other. It was ArenaNets fault for allowing unverified users to somehow change your e-mail. There was no validation e-mail that my e-mail was being changed or any verification process. In every other MMO, if you want to change your e-mail, you have to check the e-mail and verify you want the switch. Not so with GW2. That's why they realize their mistake and are building the system that most games have at launch. You guys who hate on other players who suffer for the company's lack of e-mail verification are pathetic.

While in a perfect world, we shouldn't have to concern ourselves.   This isn't a perfect world.    Basic computer security -- YOU DO NOT REUSE PASSWORDS. PERIOD.  If you do, IT IS YOUR FAULT for giving the theives easy access.  

Bottom-line, if you re-used your password from another game or forum, you set yourself up to fail.    I've had a half-a-dozen attempts at my game because I use a centrailized email for gaming.   And for your false-claim -- they do use email verification:

Somebody (hopefully you!) asked to reset the password on your Guild Wars account.

To change your password, click the link below.

LINK-BACK REMOVED

If you did not request to reset your password, you can ignore this email and no changes will be made to your account.

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://support.guildwars2.com/.

Thanks!

--The ArenaNet Team

For someont to steal your account they have to get into your email as well.    Which means you were almost certainly re-using passwords. 

Here is a review of tactics to use when choosing a password:

• Don't use passwords that are based on personal information that can be easily accessed or guessed.
    • Don't use words that can be found in any dictionary of any language.
    • Develop a mnemonic for remembering complex passwords.
    • Use both lowercase and capital letters.
    • Use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters.
    • Use passphrases when you can.
    • Use different passwords on different systems.

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST04-002.html

I do those.   

Yeah your right.

Now why no test question or  support line to call and get you account back? This is a AAA mmo with no customer service line wtf.

And?   Except for my bank, nobody else uses a test question.   Not even my broker.    So why does ANet have to do what nobody else does?

As for getting your account back.   They have customer support.  That's how I got my GW1 account back.

Thank you for contacting NCsoft(R) Support regarding your NCsoft master account XXXXXXXXX The following link can be used within the next 72 hours to access your account and update your password and security questions. Please note that, for security purposes, this link may only be used a single time.

REMOVED

When you have clicked on the link or the allotted time has passed, the link will expire and cannot be used to access your account.

If you have not been in contact with NCsoft Support and are receiving this email, please contact support by visiting https://help.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/ncsoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php and using the "Ask a Question" option

That was part of the re-establishing my old GW1 account.   I had the serial numbers.  Just like I have the serial number for my GW2 purchase.  

Your NCsoft master account XXXXXXXX  password has been reset to E4BUfCOG. Be aware that passwords are case-sensitive.

You will be required to change your password the next time you log in as this temporary password will expire at that time. For security purposes, please visit http://us.ncsoft.com/account/ and change your password as soon as possible.

Someone at XXXXXXXXXX  requested this reset to your NCsoft master account password. If you did not make this request, please contact Support immediately by visiting http://help.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/ncsoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php and using the "Ask a Question!" link tab.

I'll spare you the WHOLE e-mail exchange that took less than an hour.

Oh, and they do have phone number.   I ran into it when I was exploring the NCSoft website.   But I preferred the whole 'submit a ticket' thing than the chance of calling someone who I can't understand due to a thick accent or waiting on hold for an hour.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by heartless

Hacked Accounts

Our customer support team is prioritizing tickets from customers with hacked accounts or who are otherwise blocked from logging into the game. If your account was hacked, please follow these instructions for submitting a ticket, to make sure that your ticket is correctly prioritized and to make sure you're submitting all the information we need to restore your access.

For hacked accounts, expect a response within 72 hours. As of this writing we're working on tickets submitted August 30. If you submitted a hacked account ticket on August 29 or earlier, and haven't received a response yet, your ticket may not be correctly prioritized. In that case, please submit a new ticket using the above instructions, and in the title write, "Hacked Account - Ticket submitted August 2x - Ticket number xxxxxx-xxxxxx" (fill in the date and ticket number), and we will prioritize your existing (August 29 or earlier) ticket.

512-225-6359
    Mon-Fri
    12pm to 5pm, Central

It's just billing... thanks though...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Hacked Accounts

512-225-6359
    Mon-Fri
    12pm to 5pm, Central

Did you speak to a person or did you call after hours and got voicemail? Try to call during their working hours if you can. Otherwise you have to wait 72hours for the support ticket.

I don't know what else to tell you. Try to be more careful with your account next time.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Did you speak to a person or did you call after hours and got voicemail? Try to call during their working hours if you can. Otherwise you have to wait 72hours for the support ticket.

I don't know what else to tell you. Try to be more careful with your account next time.

I guess 72 hours is a Korean company's idea of "good customer support".  Lol!  NCSoft is worse than the DMV!

Originally posted by MosesZD

I'll spare you the WHOLE e-mail exchange that took less than an hour.

Oh, and they do have phone number.   I ran into it when I was exploring the NCSoft website.   But I preferred the whole 'submit a ticket' thing than the chance of calling someone who I can't understand due to a thick accent or waiting on hold for an hour.

There is no number to call... Only a number that handles billing.  Email is running 72-96 hours out.

Shit's so crazy, that if you have a GW account you can use your master account name and get your gw2 account back by removing the hackers IP. 

Hacked Accounts

512-225-6359
    Mon-Fri
    12pm to 5pm, Central

The answering machine says BILLING questions only ie double billed and that they will not be able to help with other issues, then directs you to the suppot site.

Originally posted by Satarious

I guess 72 hours is a Korean company's idea of "good customer support".  Lol!  NCSoft is worse than the DMV!

It's obivious that they are overwhelmed with support tickets. They underestimated the game's popularity and underestimated the amount of people who use the same login info for all of their game. The game has been out what, 4 days? Give them time to adjust.

You don't have to put up with it though. Get a refund or charge back if this is a very serious issue for you. That's what I would do.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    This happened when blizz switched to battlenet sign in and started using email for sign in.  Can someone explain to me why this would be a good idea?  It seems to cause nothing but issues security wise, what is the benefit of using an email to sign in rather than requiring one to create a username?  It just seems that using email to sign in causes more problems than anything.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There have been threads for over one week saying that you shouldnt use the same mail adress for GW2 as you do for other games.

Yes, NC softs standard of using the email account as a username is not good.

But  for someone to hijack your account as OPs they must have already hacked your mail account. Did you guys use the same password for that as well?

People need a serious course in internet security.

I use a POP3 Email account that I only have for GW1 & 2. Good luck hacking that.

And the client ask me to validate any new IP so me getting hacked is very unlikely.

It's obivious that they are overwhelmed with support tickets. They underestimated the game's popularity and underestimated the amount of people who use the same login info for all of their game. The game has been out what, 4 days? Give them time to adjust.

You don't have to put up with it though. Get a refund or charge back if this is a very serious issue for you. That's what I would do.

This is not my issue or many others I've seen comment. 

I'm having a blast in the WvW and spvp, so i do not want a refund. I do however want to be able to CALL customer support and get my account back. There is no excuse for a company like NCsoft with a AAA mmo not to have a number to call.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    This happened when blizz switched to battlenet sign in and started using email for sign in.  Can someone explain to me why this would be a good idea?  It seems to cause nothing but issues security wise, what is the benefit of using an email to sign in rather than requiring one to create a username?  It just seems that using email to sign in causes more problems than anything.

It is a very dumb idea. NC soft has done it a long time and some genius at Blizzard must have thought it was a good idea.

Still, it is not so hard to protect you (see my last post).

Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

It is a very dumb idea. NC soft has done it a long time and some genius at Blizzard must have thought it was a good idea.

Still, it is not so hard to protect you (see my last post).

When protection fails, give us a number to call and get our account back.

Fat chance that I could get a refund.  I pre-purchased this headache way back in June.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Jaick360

People think EA is bad? My account not even 24 hours old and already been hacked.

Was having a blast, took a break for some food came back and my passwords do not work. Couldn't even authenticate with email since its been down. 

Yeah back to TOR. At least there I have account security.

You are an idiot for blaming the company for being hacked. The most likely cause is that you use the same password on GW2 as you do on many other fansites/other popular websites. The hackers got these combinations from other sites and since you were stupid enough to use same password for everything , they got into your account.

"If you don't want your account hacked, don't use the same email address and password for Guild Wars 2 that you've used for another game or web site. Hackers have big lists of email addresses and passwords that they've harvested from malware and from security vulnerabilities in other games and web sites, and they're systematically testing Guild Wars 2 looking for matching accounts." From GW2 devs themselves.

You think this is bad company? 

"Ensuring the best possible play experience for our fans is our highest priority. We’ve said before that we would be willing to temporarily disable first-party digital sales if we felt our high player concurrency may compromise player experiences. We have now reached that point.

Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely. ~RB2" 

From their facebook page. They stopped selling games JUST so the players ingame can enjoy it more. 

Originally posted by Loke666

There have been threads for over one week saying that you shouldnt use the same mail adress for GW2 as you do for other games.

Yes, NC softs standard of using the email account as a username is not good.

But  for someone to hijack your account as OPs they must have already hacked your mail account. Did you guys use the same password for that as well?

People need a serious course in internet security.

I use a POP3 Email account that I only have for GW1 & 2. Good luck hacking that.

And the client ask me to validate any new IP so me getting hacked is very unlikely.

I seriously doubt that the blame is on the customers in this case.  Blizzard, EA, Mythic, etc. had hacked account problems, but not nearly this widespread.  I'm betting one of their account servers was hacked and they decided to cover it up.  I've seen credit card and banking companies admit having their servers hacked, but never gaming companies.  Gaming companies don't seem to be held accountable on security nearly as much as your typical bank.

Originally posted by yaoming36

People think EA is bad? My account not even 24 hours old and already been hacked.

Was having a blast, took a break for some food came back and my passwords do not work. Couldn't even authenticate with email since its been down. 

Yeah back to TOR. At least there I have account security.

You are an idiot for blaming the company for being hacked. The most likely cause is that you use the same password on GW2 as you do on many other fansites/other popular websites. The hackers got these combinations from other sites and since you were stupid enough to use same password for everything , they got into your account.

"If you don't want your account hacked, don't use the same email address and password for Guild Wars 2 that you've used for another game or web site. Hackers have big lists of email addresses and passwords that they've harvested from malware and from security vulnerabilities in other games and web sites, and they're systematically testing Guild Wars 2 looking for matching accounts." From GW2 devs themselves.

You think this is bad company? 

"Ensuring the best possible play experience for our fans is our highest priority. We’ve said before that we would be willing to temporarily disable first-party digital sales if we felt our high player concurrency may compromise player experiences. We have now reached that point.

Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely. ~RB2" 

From their facebook page. They stopped selling games JUST so the players ingame can enjoy it more. 

Great game with terrible customer service. Unexcusable in this day and age not to have a customer support line to call or working live chat.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

Great game with terrible customer service. Unexcusable in this day and age not to have a customer support line to call or working live chat.

This game has over 1 million players. Say only 1% of the population needs customer support, that's STILL 10,000 people who need help! You can't expect a company of 200 size to help 10,000 in a matter of hours. Like I said 72 hours is very good.

Fat chance that I could get a refund.  I pre-purchased this headache way back in June.

Then do a chargeback.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by VirusDancer
    Originally posted by Amjoco

My point is, why would you want to come here and discuss something you did wrong? No one here can help you, you made a mistake.

So that ANet can improve their software and have a better product.  There are many simple things that they could have done to avoid this particular issue - things that their competitors have learned about having to do in the recent years because it happened to them.

Their grand mistake of using the same user/pass with something else - where that something else was hacked, that they may or may not know that it was hacked - etc, etc, etc... does not excuse ANet from keeping up with at least some of what's been going on in the industry for the past few years.  Simple things that just were not there - mind boggling...

^^^

As I said in another thread, I'm surprised (really surprised) they're not at least using the same system Bioware used with TOR. A system that detects IP's and Hardware of the user trying to log-in, a different IP or Hardware locks the account down until you answer security questions.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Sorry but I dont believe you.

I don't believe that you don't believe him. . oh wait. . post count.  Not that it is the be all end all but yea.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Well ive been playing since headstart, haven't been hacked.  You did something bud, dont blame Anet. 

LOL

Hey I been playing MMO's for at last 8 years. Never been hacked before GW2. NEVER.

I'm a fan boy of GW 2 but I have to agree with Jaick. I played WoW five years and never once got hacked. I played this since BWE 2 and got hacked the week of release. We all make mistakes and sadly I believe ANet wasn't well prepared for the launch. And that's strictly speaking from a security standpoint. I love the game and I can't wait to get my hacked account back up and running. I'm not leaving the game by any means, I just hope this was a good learning experience for ANet. I wanna get on my Warrior sooo bad!!! lol...

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Well ive been playing since headstart, haven't been hacked.  You did something bud, dont blame Anet. 

LOL

Hey I been playing MMO's for at last 8 years. Never been hacked before GW2. NEVER.

This is a typical response by someone who thinks that by using common sense, they're immune to hackers and gold sellers (and sadly one that I read quite often when I worked on such for a short time).  Given the ostentatious release of Guild Wars II, it's hard to believe anyone with any experience with online social outlets didn't see this coming.  Gold selling is big business, and you are never safe; even those who only play games on their computer and then completely disconnect said computer from the internet thereafter are as unprotected as the next group of people.  

Any internet security specialist will tell you that the person who claims they're not to fault, that they know how to protect themselves and that it's anothers' fault usually have no idea what they're talking about.  It may not be one's fault, it may not be another's fault, but the simple truth is that there is NO immunity, no precaution that is perfect, and no way to prevent a wide spread, coordinated and well orchastrated hack attempt on something that will bring big money.

To "vent" claiming it's a company's fault, one should expect to be called on it.  This is especially true if they have a rather unbecoming stance that it couldn't possibly be their fault, because it hasn't happened to them before.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    I wouldn't even be surprised if someone in Anet is giving out players info. After all these years of playing MMO i believe in one golden rule..'Anything is possible'.

Are you serious right now? I'm done with this thread. It just crossed over into the realm of WTF.

Good luck with your accounts.

I must have missed heartless's post here while I was reading all of his newer posts in this thread... It is funny reading him say "Call XXX-XXX-XXXX for support", then somebody writes "It's just for billing", and then him repeat "Well just call XXX-XXX-XXXX" again in a few more posts. 

This discussion has been closed.