Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The game does not care that i am there.

IfrianMMOIfrianMMO BarcelonaPosts: 212Member

Back when they released the "manifesto", A-net claimed that one of the things they disliked the most of standard mmo´s was the fact that no matter which quest you completed, boss you killed, or village you saved, everything resetted five minutes later and  the game did not care about the player not it´s exploits.

Well, how is GW2 offering me a different experience from that?

I am  a lv 32 warrior so far,  and while i had a blast on most of the game´s features and i am loving exploring and crafting, i still do not see how does GW2´s world care that i am there.

I visited a lot of zones and done dozens of events, and every single one of them restarts if i just stay 5 mins afk around them, the villages are constantly under siege,  those pesky centaurs keep coming for more and generally nothign seems to change or "stay saved" as i progress thru my own storyline and partecipate in the events.

Sure, some (very few and far between) events have slightly alter the npc presence in the zone, such as that lv 15-25 field where upon the completion of all the centaur questline, the lionguard "controls" most of the roads, but that´s not really all that "world changing" and even that goes away within half a hour or so.

So...what about it?

 

 

image
«13

Comments

  • LeononaLeonona aarhusPosts: 225Member Uncommon
    It was Ree Soesbee who said that in the Manifesto video. She works on the personal story and that was what she was talking about. The game cares you are there in the personal story, not so much in the open world.
  • jackwu10jackwu10 JHBPosts: 127Member
    like wow's mirror technique? but sucks thing is that once u did the quest, the world change completely though.. i dunno do i want that or not.. guess it would be a mission that kinda impossible to program.. 
  • eGumballeGumball New York, NYPosts: 151Member

    It is fully impossible to build a game with no end. What they meant is simple: There´s a different between going to kill the bandits while they attack the village and then run away, than, when you go to a bandit area where there´s no-limited amount of them, and just kill 20 and pretend that they have run away.

    Many, if not most, DEs lead to different paths that really tells the story of the map you are playing in .. also, if yu are active and can interact enough with world and DEs you can almost, always, find new paths to take, so you won´t repeat everything by many times.

    Otherwise, it is about feeling, the feeling that you are doing something, that can bring you one step further in your way to solve this puzzle or find that lost child. Is the feeling about seing the world, changing the whole time. However, in reality, this is still a game and if you go afk, as u explained it, you will see the same happen again of course. There´s basically no modern techology that can brings you a world that include perm-changes the whole time.

  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer LisbonPosts: 415Member

    I'm sorry OP, but if you actually believed it, then you kind off have to blame yourself somewhat.

    It's a marketing trailer made to generate hype for the game. It would require an insane, and i mean, insane amount of coding, branching paths in events, voice acting and god knows what else to make that happen and npc's remember you and the world "care for you".

    While dynamic events and cool and good IMO, but it's still a questing system (with the obvious alterations of course), so you can't possibly expect that to actually happen in-game.

     

  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO BarcelonaPosts: 212Member
    Originally posted by Leonona
    It was Ree Soesbee who said that in the Manifesto video. She works on the personal story and that was what she was talking about. The game cares you are there in the personal story, not so much in the open world.

      Thank you for the information Leonona ^__^
      Still, i do not get the feel they were talking only about the personal story when i watch that vid.
      To me it sounded like the game would actually care in many events and situations, not just in 1 questline.
     

     Thank you eGumball as well.

     That makes lots of sense.

    image
  • ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon
    The effects of DEs could be a bit more prominent, but GW2 is a sandbox with a limited number of pre-made events. Making them too permanent isn't realistically possible without a huge budget and a huge budget is something ANet didn't have.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

    I'm sorry OP, but if you actually believed it, then you kind off have to blame yourself somewhat.

    It's a marketing trailer made to generate hype for the game. It would require an insane, and i mean, insane amount of coding, branching paths in events, voice acting and god knows what else to make that happen and npc's remember you and the world "care for you".

    While dynamic events and cool and good IMO, but it's still a questing system (with the obvious alterations of course), so you can't possibly expect that to actually happen in-game.

     

    Maybe he took a leap of faith and believed all those that said that Arenanet are honoring their own words.

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member
    One odd thing I noticed is when I harvest a node of any kind...many time someone runs up beyond me and appears to harvest an invisible node. Same thing happens in reverse....where it looks ike a node is being harvested..the person leaves with (to my sight) the node intact for me to harvest. Kinda cheesy.
  • LeononaLeonona aarhusPosts: 225Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO
    Originally posted by Leonona
    It was Ree Soesbee who said that in the Manifesto video. She works on the personal story and that was what she was talking about. The game cares you are there in the personal story, not so much in the open world.

      Thank you for the information Leonona ^__^
      Still, i do not get the feel they were talking only about the personal story when i watch that vid.
      To me it sounded like the game would actually care in many events and situations, not just in 1 questline.
     

    Yes, the video is misleading. Like when they say it's not okay that a bunch of npc's stand around and just wait for the players to come and kill them. And what do Arenanet do? They make a bunch of heart-quests where npc's just stand around like any other mmo.

  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO BarcelonaPosts: 212Member
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

    I'm sorry OP, but if you actually believed it, then you kind off have to blame yourself somewhat.

    It's a marketing trailer made to generate hype for the game. It would require an insane, and i mean, insane amount of coding, branching paths in events, voice acting and god knows what else to make that happen and npc's remember you and the world "care for you".

    While dynamic events and cool and good IMO, but it's still a questing system (with the obvious alterations of course), so you can't possibly expect that to actually happen in-game.

     

    Maybe he took a leap of faith and believed all those that said that Arenanet are honoring their own words.

      This is pretty much it.

      It is still true that i was a bit too naive at believing it was actually possible to do that today.

      But well,  i guess i just wanted it to be true so badly i ended up believing it was by default xD

    image
  • Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe N/A, NYPosts: 221Member
    I think that Anet should've increased the number of DEs in an area, and slow down the time they re-appear for other players to do them for quite a few hours. That way, if they do change the world in a sense it seems like it will require work, but it will last for quite a while.
  • observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,013Member Uncommon
    The reason that Dynamic Events repeat, is because there is so many people doing them.  They never fail and that's why there isn't anything changing.  >.>
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Posts: 875Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

    Back when they released the "manifesto", A-net claimed that one of the things they disliked the most of standard mmo´s was the fact that no matter which quest you completed, boss you killed, or village you saved, everything resetted five minutes later and  the game did not care about the player not it´s exploits.

    Well, how is GW2 offering me a different experience from that?

    I am  a lv 32 warrior so far,  and while i had a blast on most of the game´s features and i am loving exploring and crafting, i still do not see how does GW2´s world care that i am there.

    I visited a lot of zones and done dozens of events, and every single one of them restarts if i just stay 5 mins afk around them, the villages are constantly under siege,  those pesky centaurs keep coming for more and generally nothign seems to change or "stay saved" as i progress thru my own storyline and partecipate in the events.

    Sure, some (very few and far between) events have slightly alter the npc presence in the zone, such as that lv 15-25 field where upon the completion of all the centaur questline, the lionguard "controls" most of the roads, but that´s not really all that "world changing" and even that goes away within half a hour or so.

    So...what about it?

     

     

    Welcome to the 'nothing you do matters' standard themepark experience.

  • NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    The effects of DEs could be a bit more prominent, but GW2 is a sandbox with a limited number of pre-made events. Making them too permanent isn't realistically possible without a huge budget and a huge budget is something ANet didn't have.

    In what way is GW2 a "sandbox" where the player has tools to modify the world themselves and create how they play?

  • lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

    I'm sorry OP, but if you actually believed it, then you kind off have to blame yourself somewhat.

    It's a marketing trailer made to generate hype for the game. It would require an insane, and i mean, insane amount of coding, branching paths in events, voice acting and god knows what else to make that happen and npc's remember you and the world "care for you".

    While dynamic events and cool and good IMO, but it's still a questing system (with the obvious alterations of course), so you can't possibly expect that to actually happen in-game.

     

    Well...fans have been swearing of manifesto video ever since release and posting it at every given chance to show that whatever Anet says i true.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Leonona
    It was Ree Soesbee who said that in the Manifesto video. She works on the personal story and that was what she was talking about. The game cares you are there in the personal story, not so much in the open world.

    this

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Leonona
    It was Ree Soesbee who said that in the Manifesto video. She works on the personal story and that was what she was talking about. The game cares you are there in the personal story, not so much in the open world.

    this

    image

    guess we'll hear about how they said that combat really isn't different either because there are a ton of people playing at launch. weird how people spin things. oh well, eating break over! back to the game. image

  • MisarisMisaris Cougartown, NEPosts: 140Member
    The problem is, it's not a sandbox. Players don't change the world in Themepark MMOs
  • thekid1thekid1 GroningenPosts: 789Member

    I remember a few months bak there was indeed talk how Dynamic events changed the game world depending on the outcome.

    I remember also there was a example given ( I think even by Arenanet themselves) about if you fail to defend a bridge it gets blown up. And just as important it would reapear once the event was completely finished and reset which could take a month (not 5 minutes!)

  • MosesZDMosesZD Kirkwood, MOPosts: 1,383Member
    Originally posted by observer
    The reason that Dynamic Events repeat, is because there is so many people doing them.  They never fail and that's why there isn't anything changing.  >.>

     

    They fail.   Even during peak.   If the local population of players is low and it's a tough DE, it's going to fail.   I was in three DEs that failed today on the Diessa Plains.   There just weren't enough of us to prevail.

     

    I gold participation.   I like the Karma.   But we lost.  

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon
    No OP it doesn't atleast not the pve side. Show up watch the movie, particioate if you like. You will be rewarded regurdless.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Macros 7Posts: 374Member
    Originally posted by thekid1

    I remember a few months bak there was indeed talk how Dynamic events changed the game world depending on the outcome.

    I remember also there was a example given ( I think even by Arenanet themselves) about if you fail to defend a bridge it gets blown up. And just as important it would reapear once the event was completely finished and reset which could take a month (not 5 minutes!)

    It doesn't changes, the effects/consequences/impact of the DE is an illusion.

    Town got taken over? fine wait a while and raid it back.

    The packbull is dead? fine go back and trigger the DE again.

    Defeated the giganic monster in the epic battle? fine wai a while it will comes back again.

    Only handful and i had yet to encounter DE that requires month to reset, and even it takes month does it really matters? it is still a scripted event.

  • lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member
    Originally posted by thekid1

    I remember a few months bak there was indeed talk how Dynamic events changed the game world depending on the outcome.

    I remember also there was a example given ( I think even by Arenanet themselves) about if you fail to defend a bridge it gets blown up. And just as important it would reapear once the event was completely finished and reset which could take a month (not 5 minutes!)

    Not just few months back but till the release the most hardcore fans of GW2 kept telling everyone the same thing. I can start posting quotes if you like. They are gonna deny it anyways.

  • RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by Leonona
    It was Ree Soesbee who said that in the Manifesto video. She works on the personal story and that was what she was talking about. The game cares you are there in the personal story, not so much in the open world.

    /End

    I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

    I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

    P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

    Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

  • RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by thekid1

    I remember a few months bak there was indeed talk how Dynamic events changed the game world depending on the outcome.

    I remember also there was a example given ( I think even by Arenanet themselves) about if you fail to defend a bridge it gets blown up. And just as important it would reapear once the event was completely finished and reset which could take a month (not 5 minutes!)

    Not just few months back but till the release the most hardcore fans of GW2 kept telling everyone the same thing. I can start posting quotes if you like. They are gonna deny it anyways.

    Visit Sparkfly zone

    /end

     

    Also enjoy life guys and peace.

    I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

    I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

    P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

    Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.