Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arena Net failed with the launch of GW2

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    And yet I just logged in again and everything is fine for me. Maybe I'm selfish but I don't really care about your issues. For me the launch was very smooth =]
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by QSatu
    And yet I just logged in again and everything is fine for me. Maybe I'm selfish but I don't really care about your issues. For me the launch was very smooth =]

If you did not care, then why bother reading about them?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak
    Originally posted by BarCrow

As for people not being able to log in due to email validation errors. I get the same errors. Guess what.?...I hit the "play" button and start playing. It has never prevented me from playing . Its even says to do this..for now..in the forums.

Really loving the game and the launch just is a usual launch to me and really not nearly the worst I've encountered.

Are you kidding? My PLAY button is grey; cant push it at all.

Not at all. I start up..it gives me the email must be validated  blah blah blah. Sometimes I send one and go to my email to see if it finally goes through...it hasn't yet. I still get the validation error. 

I login with my info (well I have the box checked so it keeps the info in the field). It updates when needed. I hit the play button.

It's done this since I downloaded and first logged-in. One post I read  was ANet stating that they have disabled the validation and to just continue to hit play. That's the only reason I did it the first time.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64

exactly my point ^

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Coman

If you did not care, then why bother reading about them?

Probably just to prove that all these guys who have been tying to hype this game for the last how many years will do anything to save the game from any negative feedback, even read post they dont care about. 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Because none of this is already known to everyone here?  Because none of this was mentioned in the first part of the review done by this site?  Because this hasn't been posted about by anyone else?  Because you like the game but felt the need to make a post pointing out problems that other people are experiencing that has already been posted about several times now?

What is the point of this thread, other then to say that other people are experiencing the same problems other people have experienced in other MMO's? 

If you like the game, if you're not having any of the bad issues you posted about other people experiencing, what is the point? 

You're not helping anyone.

You're not encouraging any civil discussion.

You're not providing any form of constructive feedback.

You're not informing anyone of anything that they didn't already know.

It's just a thread for people to argue in.  What can anyone possibly contribute to the topic?  Nothing.  Either you've exprienced one of the real problems in the game, which the OP has clearly informed us he didn't, or you haven't; which the OP was pretty clear about. 

As this thread does is provide yet another place for people to argue and flame each other. 

What is the point?

Why not just link the Reddit post where you claim represenatives for Anet are behaiving like douchebags?  Which I find kind of ironic to say that anyone is behaiving like a douchebag when you make a negative post that doesn't in any way, shape, or form allow for anyone to have anything that resembles a civil discussion.

Seriously?  What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread?

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Vannor

This isn't a failed launch. About, what?, 10 people on reddit are having a bad experience and everyone is jumping on their thread, either defending or attacking. There's WELL over a million playing this game. A few vocal people having problems means nothing, especially not launch failure.

The TP issue is bad.. when mail is down it's bad. But at least the majority are playing successfully. I'll point out that there are more people playing right now compared to how many were playing in any other MMO launch 'ever' to my knowledge. SWTOR launch was a nightmare with queues, hardly anyone could play. TSW had nowhere near as many people playing it.. only reason it was so smooth. WoW launch was a mess and hardly anyone could play and servers were down for days sometimes. GW2 is supporting more players at launch than any other MMO that I can think off, 'at launch'.

The players who do have problems definately shouldn't be ignored, but ANet are actually coping better than anyone else has with this many people ay launch.

This is a valid point.

The bigger the population, the more frequently rare occurrances happen. So, in this launch, those who have a bad experience are going to seem greater in numbers.

Diablo 3 was essentially "Burned at the stake" when "some guy" din't receive his 90 cents from the RMAH. I guess if it's GW2, they can have a free pass, but if it's Blizzard, the villigers light the torches and march toward the castle looking for blood...

Pretty much man.  There is so much hype for this game its nuts.  You will literally get burned at the stake for saying anything wrong with the game.  People are giving this game a pass on issues that in other games there were non-stop hate being spewed.  GW2 is the savior of MMORPG's in that it can do no wrong because so many people are hyped and want it to succeed. 

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    OP is wrong. Guild Wars 2 had one of the smoothest launches I have ever seen. In fact, it was probably the best launch I have seen. Get a clue.

You cannot be serious......

Today I lost guildchat AGAIN

Couldn't use our guildbank AGAIN

Did not receive any whispers from a friend who wanted to party with me

Trade was either horribly laggy or down for maintanance AGAIN

Personal story bugged at level 30

I mean, I love this game, I really do, but after a week it is getting on my nerves....

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Jeleena
    OP is wrong. Guild Wars 2 had one of the smoothest launches I have ever seen. In fact, it was probably the best launch I have seen. Get a clue.

I mean, I love this game, I really do, but after a week it is getting on my nerves....

WoW was like this for a MONTH! Rift had issues for 3 weeks. TSW had issues also. No game lauuched perfectly. The game, officially, has been out since August 28th - so it has been 4 days? Please, get real.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

If anyone can show me a piece of software used by millions that launched with no problems, I would be surprised enough to probably eat a hat.  

No software survives contact with the enemy....and that is us. 

It sucks when you have an ongoing problem, but this expectation of fabled perfection is foolish. It is not found anywhere else either. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by botrytis

WoW was like this for a MONTH! Rift had issues for 3 weeks. TSW had issues also. No game lauuched perfectly. The game, officially, has been out since August 28th - so it has been 4 days? Please, get real.

My reaction was to 'the smoothest launch ever', which is simpy NOT true......

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971
    Originally posted by Gaborik

This guy is wrong Guild Wars 2 has not been one of the smoothest launches I have ever seen.  In fact, it is probably not even in the top 5 that I have seen. Get a clue.

I think it depends on where you're trying to play from - the EU log-in servers have been battered to pieces and logging in at peak times (4pm onwards) is often an exercise in frustration.

I don't understand why they don't lob in a couple of extra authentication servers to allow people to log in, as for the email authentication - they need to switch it off again as it is still borked. As many others have said, let us buy authenticators and deal with the hacking issues that way. Not having the forums online is probably smart but tying them in to the same server as is used for the game itself isn't all that smart, and having to create a seperate account for support is just throwing needless obstacles at people.

At this point, it's swings and roundabouts, people who are having trouble are annoyed by it, and people who are not having trouble can't understand why people are making so much noise about the trouble they haven't encountered themselves. 

ANet stopping digital sales is the truest sign yet of their unpreparedness for the scale of the launch - it makes for great PR ("We care more about players having fun than we do about money!") but it's ultimately hollow because there are plenty of physical copies out there for purchase too. Post-launch I'd imagine third party sales vastly outpace sales through their own site.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the heck out of the game, but tbh I would rather sit in a queue for a couple of hours than sit hitting log-in over and over for 90 mins. I'm not even exaggerating - I would sometimes get to character select, click play only to get booted before entering the world. Was happening to guildies too. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a queue means I'm getting in as soon as x people log out, whereas not being able to get past the log-in servers is an exercise in frustration.

Not one of the smoothest launches ever in my book, but I'm more irritated than angry about it. I just hope they sort it all out soon (and not soon™), but as others have said, this'll all be forgotten about in a few months (hopefully).

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

My reaction was to 'the smoothest launch ever', which is simpy NOT true......

I'm having a blast in GW2 so far but Geez trying to say this is one of the smoothest launches ever is jsut as bad as the people trying to say it's a complete failure.ZTo me it's a below average launch IMO but not enough to stop me enjoying the game so far.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

WoW was like this for a MONTH! 

I hate WoW always have but why do people keep bringing up it's launch as some kind of example ? Unless Gw2 launched with 8 year old technology and systems then it might be comparative :)

It's like telling people not to complain if their new car breaks down because Skoda's in 2004 used to :p

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wow the OP is obviously dillusioned, the launch was perfect... besides the servers lagging up and pretty much crashing right off... and the trading post not working... and lots of general bugs... and some momentary clunky camera control... and...

Seriously though, it annoys me to no end when people try and claim the launch was good, it was probably one of the worst launches for a big name MMO in a long time.

At least they did fix a good deal of the big issues right off (aka server being rocked) but its still by far one of the roughest launches in some time. 

Just because your a rapid fan of a game, doesn't mean you can't notice the launch was quite iffy.

• VoltjeVoltje Member Posts: 20

People,

Day 1

I bought this game wednesday, i registred the moment i got hope and got an error message: invalled password.  "Hmm what is this now" : i thought . ..  i use a masterpassword so its the same everywhere... 

After 20 minutes i decided to open a ticket, hey il probably be helped in a few hours right?  they have support like wow right?

Gone to check forums to leave a note : forums are down.

Registered on a different website for support (wtf!!! how hard is to put everything in one place?)

Now finaly logged in in the support website....  its not clear at all where to make my ticket so  i pick a random spot, no harm done right?

After a full day  i get this:

Greetings! 

Thank you for contacting the Guild Wars 2 support team! I’m transferring your ticket to the Account Login Team to assist you. Someone will contact you as soon as possible.

In the future, when submitting tickets concerning login issues, please visit the following web form to contact the Account Login Team, as this will speed up the process: 

http://support.guildwars2.com/app/account/support/

Regards,

Guild Wars Support Team

This has to be some sick and cruel joke?! i mean you got the problem in front of you, its just sending me a mail to fix stuff.

Day 2:

So 24 hours has past and im feeling realy glum about the situation. Ive read that guild wars has twitter for information: so i create a twitter account ( yes i hate social media ).  I start tweeting  or whatever ... and notice  they dont notice me at all , so after 10 "tweets" im done. Maybe il check facebook?  A huge facepalm here, the peeps controlling twitter and facebook dont have a clue whats going on.

Day 3: 

I have been waiting for that mail to arrive, a response about the ticket within my ticket.

Day4:

I want a refund.

So yes, the launch is a complete failure, support is a complete failure. And even worse i hear peeps got banned for "exploiting the game" dont know the details but, if your game is buggy: take it upon yourself, because you neglected to check  extra for bugs. . . dont take it out upon your  playerbase.

1 more day and trow the game in the garbage.

Ty for reading this frustrated reply.

[CENTER]image

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Ok a few things here:

- I love the game

- the launch was ok in my opinion cause people could still play and downtime was barely there compared to other games

- fixing one thing with a patch but at the same time messing up a other one happens unfortunately to EVERY company no matter if its a game development one or a software developer so I'm not quite surprised that when one thing is fixed a other one all of sudden has issues

- that the trading post wasn't available most of the time is annoying but one can live without it and still play everything else in the game

- the only thing that really annoys me is the permanent authentification.

I had already voiced my concerns that people like me that are using a routher that is changing the IP everytime one goes to the internet will have to verify like 24/7.

Well it didnt exactly happen that way after I saved the network so I had to verifiy only twice, once in the beginning and once in between.

Today however I was playing normally without any problems and was on the internet the whole time so my IP can't have been changed.

Still after I tried to login again I had to identify my account through the email they were supposed to send me.

Well one hour and a half later I still have no email so I can confirm the link.

Due to this I'm locked out of the game AND their support site/forums.

The only thing I can do is to send a support ticket through my NCsoft account and hope that something will happen and I will be able to enter the game again.

Even more annoying, a other friend is locked out for 3 days now and can't reenter and I really hope that I won't have to endure the same.

• MisthawkMisthawk Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

I don't get these threads.

*Buys guildwars 2

*makes a weak password or gets keylogged

*blames anet for own fail. (why u no protect me from myself Anet)

*posts on forums like they are speshul.

utterly absurd.

I understand the weak PW getting compromised.  To prevent this, I used a unique email, and a case-sentitive PW, with special characters, to prevent any occurrences.  However, some of us, who went the extra mile, and also decided to use the email authenticator, as an added protection, are currently unable to access our log in, due to:

Guild Wars 2GuildWars2

Email authentication is still under investigation and causing players to be unable to login. We'll update you when you know more ^SL

which has no bearing on having a weak PW or getting key logged.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Gaborik

Grabbing a bag of popcorn and waiting for you to be attacked by the masses.(well gw2 die hards)...

How dare you express your opinion on true issues of a game? 

Issues that not all of us have had. ;)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    epic fail like expected.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have seen or replied to this thread because I'd currently be enjoying a leisurely Sunday morning's gaming.

However, I am one of the (many?) people currently unable to play due to the broken email authentication ArenaNet have pushed out.

So here I am. And you'll notice I'm not saying that the OP is incorrect in any way, shape or form.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by derek39

As far as half the playerbase can't log in?...Well I don't see or hear about that in game. I'm sure there would be people griping that their friends can't log in, Like people normally do in the area chat if something small is wrong. But, nah I'm not seeing it. Me and the lady friend can log in and play just fine.

So because you can login its working fine? So the rest of us are making it up that we cant login to the game?

http://en.support.guildwars2.com/

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/363556/Waiting-for-authentication.html

Areanet has made a statement on twitter they are aware of the problem. Email authentications are NOT being sent out, and customer support is NOT responding. I was warned in area chat not to log off or i wont be able to log back on, i thought nothing of it, and here I am 4 hours later still unable to logon, no word from customer support, and my other 2 friends have the same exact problem. Out of 4 of us only one is able to log on.

So please tell us again how this problem is make believe?

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Areanet has made a statement on twitter they are aware of the problem. Email authentications are NOT being sent out, and customer support is NOT responding. I was warned in area chat not to log off or i wont be able to log back on, i thought nothing of it, and here I am 4 hours later still unable to logon, no word from customer support, and my other 2 friends have the same exact problem. Out of 4 of us only one is able to log on.
    So please tell us again how this problem is make believe? 

Indeed. Also, if you search Twitter for posts @GuildWars2, you will see hundreds of tweets complaining about being unable to play due to this broken email authentication.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Its been rough, for sure, but I wouldn't call it a failure.  However, whoever is responsible for their backend stuff, like forums and the trading post, needs to look for another job.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Say we agree with the OP: Yes GW2 was a failure when it came to the launch. 

How does that change things exactly? I don't feel any different. I'm still logging in to play. By declaring it a failed launch, what changes?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.