Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arena Net failed with the launch of GW2

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by loeslein
    Originally posted by Gaborik

Grabbing a bag of popcorn and waiting for you to be attacked by the masses.(well gw2 die hards)...

How dare you express your opinion on true issues of a game? 

What's weird is %75 of his post is about stuff that isn't even happening to him..

It's about stuff that's "happening to huge chunks of the population" that he's hearing about lol. 

How "true" can that be?  A half million people?  Or maybe 10,000 or so? 

He's quite literally expressing other peoples opinion about the game.   Great job.

The fallacy in your post is that you are putting meaning and assumption where there is none to begin with. I used examples to stress that its not all fine and dandy. I personally cannot log into the game this weekend due to their email verification system being down, even though it wasnt a problem earlier. My gf recieved an email from the for verification... though for some oddball reason it was in dutch. Anyone whos been playing the game has been effected by both mail and trade post services being down. Game balance regards everyone, but I used my personal experiences as an example. Isnt that better than someone elses experiences in that case?

The point is if you are trying to belittle me or my post, and or the subject...you can probably do a better job at it, though I would argue its not a very rational response. Try not to let your confirmation bias get in the way.

Originally posted by RoyalPhunk

I don't get these threads.

*Buys guildwars 2

*makes a weak password or gets keylogged

*blames anet for own fail. (why u no protect me from myself Anet)

*posts on forums like they are speshul.

utterly absurd.

Sounds like you didnt read the thread. It has nothing to do with account theft or weak passwords. You also assume I am some how an irrational computer user with no experience on making passwords or keeping a computer clean. My password would take over 500 years for a password generator to guess. Keyloggers? hah no. I build my own computers and I know how to keep them cleaner than a nuns...ok im not going there.

Please read the thread before posting, that way it is on point.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Vannor

TSW had nowhere near as many people playing it.

You do realise for some of the issue that is a moot point right ?

Details such as a working forums  or a working authentication system should have been in place before the game was even launched and are not relative to the amount of players.

I mean how hard is it to have a system that when you verify your game's serial code it generates a unique password for you . Then said password is needed for any future account changes ( email, login, password etc) for example .

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Dfix
    Originally posted by Ozreth
    Oh my god! Stuff is broken durring the launch off a MMO guys. This is the first time it has every happened. Better go make a thread about it for historical records. It will probably never happen again.

You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot here. You are right on with your sarcasm, this certainly isn't the first time this has happened, and that's the point. MMO devs have had rougly 13 years and countless examples to figure out this whole launch thing. That's the problem.

I see so it's OK for every other major MMO to have launch problems up until now. Now it's not OK.  The reason why they all have problems is because it's impossible to duplicate a launch. You can have all the stress tests in the world but nothing will be the real thing. To expect things to be perfect is impractical and very naive.

Also to the OP.  You claim to have played every MMO launch for the past 10 years? So did you forget about the launch of FFXIV? That, by far, was the worse launch in the last ten years. Lets not forget about Aions first week of 5 hours ques. I suppose being able to play in overflow is way worse than staring at a que counter. What was Anet thinking anyway?

And no one is saying it was ok for the others to have bad launches either. When other MMOs launched people were all over the issues like flies on shit. With GW2 people want others to ignore the issues because Anet can do no wrong. 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This isn't a failed launch. About, what?, 10 people on reddit are having a bad experience and everyone is jumping on their thread, either defending or attacking. There's WELL over a million playing this game. A few vocal people having problems means nothing, especially not launch failure.

The TP issue is bad.. when mail is down it's bad. But at least the majority are playing successfully. I'll point out that there are more people playing right now compared to how many were playing in any other MMO launch 'ever' to my knowledge. SWTOR launch was a nightmare with queues, hardly anyone could play. TSW had nowhere near as many people playing it.. only reason it was so smooth. WoW launch was a mess and hardly anyone could play and servers were down for days sometimes. GW2 is supporting more players at launch than any other MMO that I can think off, 'at launch'.

The players who do have problems definately shouldn't be ignored, but ANet are actually coping better than anyone else has with this many people ay launch.

This is a valid point.

The bigger the population, the more frequently rare occurrances happen. So, in this launch, those who have a bad experience are going to seem greater in numbers.

Diablo 3 was essentially "Burned at the stake" when "some guy" din't receive his 90 cents from the RMAH. I guess if it's GW2, they can have a free pass, but if it's Blizzard, the villigers light the torches and march toward the castle looking for blood...

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Oh my god! Stuff is broken durring the launch off a MMO guys. This is the first time it has every happened. Better go make a thread about it for historical records. It will probably never happen again.

I've defended ANet  like I defended BW. The launch has been largely successful. However, there are some things they should have seen coming. Today's fiasco with the email authentication server thing, which was introduced to combat an account hacking issue, *IS* a failure. I cannot simply give them a pass on this. They should have known better.

I don't think it means the launch is a complete failure. I think the launch was a success, but that subsequently, they've made a series of misteps that are undoing how successful the launch was. At least, in people's minds. And perception is reality.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I hate to say it, but Arena Net has utterly failed with this launch. Still love the game, but it is clear the game should not have launched until both the services were ready as well as the game content balanced.

Right now we have horrible horrible service and attitudes by Anet. Some of their reactions on Reddit towards legitimate issues or people who have been hacked borderlines on d-baggery. I mean no business should talk to its customer base the way some of their reps have.

One person lost $20 of gems that they purchased with real money because the broken system gliched out and didnt register any purchases until later... charged him for buying 3 of the same outfit instead of just one. Anet's response to this was nothing short of "too bad sucker".

At the moment... Thousands of people cannot even long in because the launcher is telling them to verify their email by clicking on the email link. Two problems with this: 1) fake versions of this email exist with the purpose of stealing account information, 2) the official version isnt actually being sent out. This means you cannot log into the game at all, and most the emails you will find, if you actually get any, are probably fake.

When a large chunk of the game's population cant even log into the damn game, you cannot count that as a successful launch.

Half of their webservices are down as well...if you want to recover your password, good luck. Thats down as well. Forums? Nope. Account information? Sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. Official account based services are not solidified to work properly.

Aside from key features of the game not working half the time (Trade Post), the content seems to be out of "whack" as well. Some personal story line quests seem extremely easy, where as others are rediculously difficult...and by that I mean 1 shot kills by an enemy you can normally beat in a regular pve environment. When you go to a zone below your level, your lvl is downscaled to match the regions...only sometimes it is too much and sometimes it is too little. Meaning, some enemies will die with one hit... where others in the same category hit as hard as a champion and feel like they have just as much HP.

Another example, In one storyline instance, one basic enemy kills off my entire NPC party in a matter of seconds then one or two hits later I am down as well. Their HP pool is extreme as well. So while I am down scaled over 10 levels to meet the lvl of the instance, the enemies hit harder than something around the level I am normally at. It feels like the whole system in that respect is broken.

Guild Wars 2 is still a great game, there is lots of fun to be had...but this cannot be considered a successful launch anymore. Please get your **** together Anet.

WoW had similiar issues, if not worse, and now it is #1 game in the world and the same goes for Blizzard.

• FourReelzFourReelz Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

I had the box in my hands this morning at the store, but think I am going to wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month to buy.

The account security issues reallly bother me.   

By the way, the, its an mmo launch, of course there are problems, is getting a little old.  Sure that was all well and good five and ten years ago, but there have been plenty of really good launches lately, and you just can't trot that old chestnut out in response to legitimate concerns.

By most accounts this launch is the worst, if not second worst behind D3 of the last few years by a Triple A MMO (if you count D3 as an mmo). 

I do not count D3 as a mmo. The worst launch iv seen was VGs launch. But with that said i still played it for a year. So no matter how bad a launch is, its not that bad as to where someone will just stop playing IF they can deal with w/e is wrong.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Requiem1066

TSW had nowhere near as many people playing it.

You do realise for some of the issue that is a moot point right ?

Details such as a working forums  or a working authentication system should have been in place before the game was even launched and are not relative to the amount of players.

I mean how hard is it to have a system that when you verify your game's serial code it generates a unique password for you . Then said password is needed for any future account changes ( email, login, password etc) for example .

This. Just like BioWare misjudged how many servers when they KNEW how many goddamn pre-orders they had, ANet should have had this account/email authentication shit worked out BEFORE launch.

I can give them a pass on in game features like the trading post and the store and disconnects and overflow servers. As irritating as those things are, they're features and I'm confident the kinks will get worked out.

However, there is NO EXCUSE for your login validation/email authentication system to totally tank the way it has today. It's doubly egregious because this was the 'solution' to the account hacking problem, which they could've goddamn solved before it was a problem with fucking authenticators.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    while most of you are right about some annoying things happening at this launch: who cares? its the best game ever made, no one will speak about its first weeks in ten years ;)
    Originally posted by loeslein
    Originally posted by Gaborik

Grabbing a bag of popcorn and waiting for you to be attacked by the masses.(well gw2 die hards)...

How dare you express your opinion on true issues of a game? 

What's weird is %75 of his post is about stuff that isn't even happening to him..

It's about stuff that's "happening to huge chunks of the population" that he's hearing about lol. 

How "true" can that be?  A half million people?  Or maybe 10,000 or so? 

He's quite literally expressing other peoples opinion about the game.   Great job.

So. Just because hes pointing out issues others are having does that invalidate the issues?

This isn't a failed launch. About, what?, 10 people on reddit are having a bad experience and everyone is jumping on their thread, either defending or attacking. There's WELL over a million playing this game. A few vocal people having problems means nothing, especially not launch failure.

The TP issue is bad.. when mail is down it's bad. But at least the majority are playing successfully. I'll point out that there are more people playing right now compared to how many were playing in any other MMO launch 'ever' to my knowledge. SWTOR launch was a nightmare with queues, hardly anyone could play. TSW had nowhere near as many people playing it.. only reason it was so smooth. WoW launch was a mess and hardly anyone could play and servers were down for days sometimes. GW2 is supporting more players at launch than any other MMO that I can think off, 'at launch'.

The players who do have problems definately shouldn't be ignored, but ANet are actually coping better than anyone else has with this many people ay launch.

For starters, far more than 10 people. Did you go and verify before tossing out a number? Have you read the responses? Common problems and common issues. Consider this as well...where are users with problems supposed to go? Official forums are down, sometimes the website is down entirely. Do they even know about Reddit? Do they have to have GW2 liked on facebook just to get news? When you dont have an official forum or local, feedback generally gets dispersed to third party sites or is not even heard.

Like polling results, what does the vocal or those willing to post represent? A larger sum? If not then should we dismiss polling entirely? Just something to think about.

Did you know its estimated around 10,000 were permabanned for a range of both legitimate and illigitimate actions within the game world?

SInce failed is a subjective term, we can agree or dissagree on what qualifies as failed, but its not a simple "you are wrong, and i am right" type of word. When your customers cannot play the product and use the services they paid for after a week of the game being live, and when account theft, exploits and server problems plague the game since day 1... then I wouldnt qualify that as a success..would you? If its not a success, then what is it?

I dont know if Anet is coping well or not... but that doesnt matter when players cannot even log into a game. It is a good game, no doubt, but they were clearly not ready for launch.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Overflow services, Trade services and the constant DC's are my biggest gripe.

Scratch that. Just fix the Overflow issue and I'd be very happy. I can live without trade services for a bit and DC's i've grown accustom to during launches. The Overflow is just so damn annoying though. It really ruins my game play and my overall enjoyment of the game. (not saying I don't love this game, I play it all the damn time)

Still, I would not label this launch as 'fail'. Fail implies everything is broken. The correct label for the launch is 'poor', not 'fail'. However I could still argue that the launch isn't even poor. I've been able to play the game since launch with little annoyances here and there. That's a hell of a lot better when compared to other launches. I'd say this launch is 'average'.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I've had lag issues..been booted. A few other minor bugs . Yet I've still had more fun in this MMO than I have had in an MMO for a long time.( It even beats the TSW which I enjoy as well...think is unique and truly different ..but stilll lack the desire to logon regularly).GW2 is not the best launch but it's  far from the worst or even mediocre launches I've experienced.

The cash shop charged me for 3 things too. It was part my fault and part the bugged out..laggy shop's fault. I hit the confirm button and when I didnt get immediate gratification I hit it again.....and again. I then decided I should probably wait... fearing what happened would happen. It did. Fortunately they were dyes so i can use them or sell doubles on the BL market (when it is actually up and working). Lesson..if it doesnt confirm immediatley..do NOT hit confirm again.lol.

As for people not being able to log in due to email validation errors. I get the same errors. Guess what.?...I hit the "play" button and start playing. It has never prevented me from playing . Its even says to do this..for now..in the forums.

Really loving the game and the launch is a usual launch to me .Not nearly the worst I've encountered.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

I hate to say it, but Arena Net has utterly failed with this launch. Still love the game, but it is clear the game should not have launched until both the services were ready as well as the game content balanced.

Right now we have horrible horrible service and attitudes by Anet. Some of their reactions on Reddit towards legitimate issues or people who have been hacked borderlines on d-baggery. I mean no business should talk to its customer base the way some of their reps have.

One person lost $20 of gems that they purchased with real money because the broken system gliched out and didnt register any purchases until later... charged him for buying 3 of the same outfit instead of just one. Anet's response to this was nothing short of "too bad sucker".

At the moment... Thousands of people cannot even long in because the launcher is telling them to verify their email by clicking on the email link. Two problems with this: 1) fake versions of this email exist with the purpose of stealing account information, 2) the official version isnt actually being sent out. This means you cannot log into the game at all, and most the emails you will find, if you actually get any, are probably fake.

When a large chunk of the game's population cant even log into the damn game, you cannot count that as a successful launch.

Half of their webservices are down as well...if you want to recover your password, good luck. Thats down as well. Forums? Nope. Account information? Sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. Official account based services are not solidified to work properly.

Aside from key features of the game not working half the time (Trade Post), the content seems to be out of "whack" as well. Some personal story line quests seem extremely easy, where as others are rediculously difficult...and by that I mean 1 shot kills by an enemy you can normally beat in a regular pve environment. When you go to a zone below your level, your lvl is downscaled to match the regions...only sometimes it is too much and sometimes it is too little. Meaning, some enemies will die with one hit... where others in the same category hit as hard as a champion and feel like they have just as much HP.

Another example, In one storyline instance, one basic enemy kills off my entire NPC party in a matter of seconds then one or two hits later I am down as well. Their HP pool is extreme as well. So while I am down scaled over 10 levels to meet the lvl of the instance, the enemies hit harder than something around the level I am normally at. It feels like the whole system in that respect is broken.

Guild Wars 2 is still a great game, there is lots of fun to be had...but this cannot be considered a successful launch anymore. Please get your **** together Anet.

Besides that, I have to say that the launch was pretty smooth.

Originally posted by Ozreth

You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot here. You are right on with your sarcasm, this certainly isn't the first time this has happened, and that's the point. MMO devs have had rougly 13 years and countless examples to figure out this whole launch thing. That's the problem.

I see so it's OK for every other major MMO to have launch problems up until now. Now it's not OK.  The reason why they all have problems is because it's impossible to duplicate a launch. You can have all the stress tests in the world but nothing will be the real thing. To expect things to be perfect is impractical and very naive.

Also to the OP.  You claim to have played every MMO launch for the past 10 years? So did you forget about the launch of FFXIV? That, by far, was the worse launch in the last ten years. Lets not forget about Aions first week of 5 hours ques. I suppose being able to play in overflow is way worse than staring at a que counter. What was Anet thinking anyway?

I thought this was what the betas are for. to "test" the game pre launch. To make sure when the game does go live, it will run as smooth as it can run. I just read that AA ran a stress test beta to see how there severs would run with i think it was 50k people all on at once. Thats ONE sever!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This is a valid point.

The bigger the population, the more frequently rare occurrances happen. So, in this launch, those who have a bad experience are going to seem greater in numbers.

Diablo 3 was essentially "Burned at the stake" when "some guy" din't receive his 90 cents from the RMAH. I guess if it's GW2, they can have a free pass, but if it's Blizzard, the villigers light the torches and march toward the castle looking for blood...

That wasn't my point. And I'm not making excuses for A-Net. They have dropped the ball big time. They need to pick it up and  get back in the game NOW!

was just pointing out that if you had one guy in TSW who had an issue, here, you have 10.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Syno23

Besides that, I have to say that the launch was pretty smooth.

What? Are you kidding? While there are those who are calling it a disaster, and I'll disagree that it's not a disaster.......yet.

It most certainly was NOT smooth.

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

The most important thing I'm upset about is the fact that I can't progress any further into personal story since quest (76) A Grisly Shipment is broken and has been for awhile

I'm having a lot of fun in the game, but the constant lack of the trading post or the ability to securely trade with players is pretty aggravating.

I can work past there being some bugs, but I'm finding a lot at 80, really hope stuff starts getting fixed so I dont lose interest.

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by BarCrow

As for people not being able to log in due to email validation errors. I get the same errors. Guess what.?...I hit the "play" button and start playing. It has never prevented me from playing . Its even says to do this..for now..in the forums.

Really loving the game and the launch just is a usual launch to me and really not nearly the worst I've encountered.

Are you kidding? My PLAY button is grey; cant push it at all.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Failed how? The game is working and playable. It had a bit rocky launch but so what? And this is a TSW fanboi saying that.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

/snip

For starters, far more than 10 people. Did you go and verify before tossing out a number? Have you read the responses? Common problems and common issues. Consider this as well...where are users with problems supposed to go? Official forums are down, sometimes the website is down entirely. Do they even know about Reddit? Do they have to have GW2 liked on facebook just to get news? When you dont have an official forum or local, feedback generally gets dispersed to third party sites or is not even heard.

Like polling results, what does the vocal or those willing to post represent? A larger sum? If not then should we dismiss polling entirely? Just something to think about.

Did you know its estimated around 10,000 were permabanned for a range of both legitimate and illigitimate actions within the game world?

SInce failed is a subjective term, we can agree or dissagree on what qualifies as failed, but its not a simple "you are wrong, and i am right" type of word. When your customers cannot play the product and use the services they paid for after a week of the game being live, and when account theft, exploits and server problems plague the game since day 1... then I wouldnt qualify that as a success..would you? If its not a success, then what is it?

I dont know if Anet is coping well or not... but that doesnt matter when players cannot even log into a game. It is a good game, no doubt, but they were clearly not ready for launch.

I know there are more than 10, it was an exaggeration really to show what I meant. Maybe you didn't get that, I dunno. My point is though that the percentage of those with problems out of total players is likely very low.

Don't assume I'm trying to blindly defend ANet, I'm definately not. I'd rather they shut down the game until everything is sorted, even the TP. The market is getting backed up and the ingame economy is going be ruined and may never recover because there will be some major oversaturation of items once it's back up perminantly. Same thing happend in D3. In games that can be affected by the trading system, the game needs to cease if that trading system isn't working overwise it puts the economy in a state that should never have occured.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by lathaan
    while most of you are right about some annoying things happening at this launch: who cares? its the best game ever made, no one will speak about its first weeks in ten years ;)

Because no one will know what GW2 was in ten years. Youll be lucky if there still talking about GW2 in 10 months.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    The market is getting backed up and the ingame economy is going be ruined and may never recover because there will some major oversaturation of items once it's back up perminantly. Same thing happend in D3. In games that can be affected by the trading system, the game needs to cease if that trading system isn't working overwise it puts the economy in a state that should never have occured.

Well the economy of a themepark is a laughinstock anyways, but this economy will become a desaster, as soon as TP works.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64

I agree with the OP.  Notice the posters that are defending the notion that this is to be expected for mmo launches...and plz post links to transaction issues or its not valid, are most likely playing the game with no issues...Its only happeneing to the minority so just sit and be patient.... Its like the classic example when you see the same car you drive broken down on the side of the road you just drive by and say " dam that sucks"  But when your car breaks down then what?  Typical american mentality and im an american myself.....Sorry for ya! till the shit hits the fan for them then its a problem!

So that being said....ive been going through the same issues....Gem transaction purchases charged me 3 times...error code invalid authorization at trading post....an email authenticator system that isnt working preventing me to play... Sure sucks to be them hunny...