Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not exactly "feeling" my Necro

FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329
It's not a bad class, I'm just a little bored while playing it - I'm currently at level 12. The spells and abilities are a little 'meh' to me, even seeing the level 80 version in pvp left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I think my long-term goal is to pwn in pvp, the necro is pretty good, but I don't know whether it fits my play style. As alts, how are the Ele, Warrior or Theif?

Comments

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Falice
    It's not a bad class, I'm just a little bored while playing it - I'm currently at level 12. The spells and abilities are a little 'meh' to me, even seeing the level 80 version in pvp left me feeling a little underwhelmed. I think my long-term goal is to pwn in pvp, the necro is pretty good, but I don't know whether it fits my play style. As alts, how are the Ele, Warrior or Theif?

It's hard to say really, the thief is similar to every single front loading stealth class ever made, similarly the warrior, elementalist and ranger are all archetypal at their core with some nice twists.

However, if you really truly want that feeling of "pwn in pvp" i'd go thief, nothing more satisfying than slaughtering poorly played enemies before they can react....and GW2 has very few players who don't simply panic, run around a bit and die. Glass cannon means against good players you might struggle, against great players you'll often get your ass handed to you, but thems the breaks :)

Thief is thrilling game play and very effective currently. Many won't agree, but some will.........the only thing that matters is what you enjoy at the end of the day.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I was weirded out by the necro.  I was expecting zombies and skeletons but not....Insects *shudder*

Ele is fun if you like stance dancing

Thief can be built to be very teleporty

Warrior is just plain easy to use and effective

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Elementalist is a bit meh as well. Some heal spells, some AoE, some shields and a short lived pet. This whole thing about not using the trinity I feel just have made caster classes a bit meh as they cant really excel in any area.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I usually dont like mages but afther trying elementist I found my class. I was playing thief at first and decided to try an alt toon so I rollled elementist and fell in love with it.
  • FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329
    Well I played a balance druid (from launch - for 5 years) in WoW and forever felt gimped, I don't want to make that mistake again. I don't like re-rolling late in the game, because it feels like a waste of time (plus I have kids, my play time is limited)... So I guess my only option is to experiment a bit.
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

I found necro really boring.

It felt like a "green caster" because the utilities are kinda bad.

It's very good in PvP, but in PvE it's boring.

Mesmer and Ele feel different, but necro felt kinda bland.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    I've never played the necro, but as a guild leader with about 30-40 people in Inquisition, I don't think we have a single person whose main is a Necromancer.  Possibly one, maybe.   Honestly by this alone, I have to conclude there is something either wrong with the class or highly unappealing.
  • FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Paragus1
    I've never played the necro, but as a guild leader with about 30-40 people in Inquisition, I don't think we have a single person whose main is a Necromancer.  Possibly one, maybe.   Honestly by this alone, I have to conclude there is something either wrong with the class or highly unappealing.

How are the engineers in your guild fairing? Do they enjoy the class, how's pvp for them?

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Paragus1

It's the mechanics, necro's is lich form.

Lich form is kinda boring.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Im sure this is why you rarely see Necros and mostly see every other class..

I even see more Mesmers than Necros,which surprises me.Ive played the class some,its not broken,just is not very appealing.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Also, another thing turning me off about the necro class is that most of the time your character sounds upbeat and cheery and is always willing to help out as a good natured being..

This doesnt mix with the class at all.Necro's are supposed to be dark,mean,and unforgiving..

its like oil and water.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Necromancy isn't particularly evil in the GW universe. It's just a bit icky.

My main is a necro and I've liked him so far (lvl 30 now). I'm using Staff / Scepter + Dagger and have traited into Curses (Chilling Darkness) and Blood Magic (Vampiric Precision). Attribute wise I've favored Precision, Condition Damage and Healing Power. Basically, lots of degen and self-heals. Chilling Darkness makes some blinding skills (like Well of Darkness) really nasty and with the heals and necro's high HP, my survivability is alright.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Dude, i'm totally with you.

Im up to 11 and i really just dont like the necro.  I was hoping it would be more like an eq necro with dots, pets that matter etc.  But the pets for sure are basically useless.  I just use the one i can sac to heal with mostly.

I started a wizard (or whatever they call it) and was having a bajillion times more fun with it within seconds of loading it up then i was with my necro.

Just sucks cus ive invested like 10 hours into my main already and i REALLY hate repeating content ya know.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Dude, i'm totally with you.

Im up to 11 and i really just dont like the necro.  I was hoping it would be more like an eq necro with dots, pets that matter etc.  But the pets for sure are basically useless.  I just use the one i can sac to heal with mostly.

I started a wizard (or whatever they call it) and was having a bajillion times more fun with it within seconds of loading it up then i was with my necro.

Just sucks cus ive invested like 10 hours into my main already and i REALLY hate repeating content ya know.

^^^

Don't even get me started on necromancers in GW2. I love playing necro's when it comes too mmorpg's and playing a necro in GW2 is like trying to run the special olympics while your stuck in a wheel chair... (No seriously)

I found the Necromancer in Guild Wars 2 to be the most irritating class I have ever played in my 13 years of playing mmorpg's... the necro in eq2, vanguard, and rift were much better... the necro pets in gw2 are just way too weak, and constantly resurrecting them all the time made me want to re-roll a differnt class, then on top of that I had to stop every 2.5 mins because I would have that long ass cool down to bring them back again.. Too frustrating of a class to play. Rolled a Ranger and find it much more enjoyable. GW2 Necromancer Pets just plain suck, the only thing they are good for is cannon fodder, small heal, dot, and aoe dmg. Then they die over and over and over and over and over and over and over again....

I make a point of targeting a necro in pvp everytime im on my ranger just because I hate the class so much.

Just my 2 cents

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    There's a reason why most pets are utility skills. It's not a pet class. Pets help a bit and the little guys who explode can deal decent damage, but in the end you shouldn't rely on them.
  • airborne1312airborne1312 Member Posts: 56

If your not feeling your necro then your experiencing the same symptoms i had

I got to level 8 with my elementalist and thought nah this is bad

I rerolled engineer and was uninspired.

Tried the thief...the same symptoms

The problem is not the profession...just the game mechanics...each profession is the ultimately the same 

Once you max out on the 5 core abilities then you are pretty much button bashing.

It is a sham..the dodge ability is useless.

Ppl will tell you otherwise but the combat system is bad.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ele, Warrior, and Thief have better burst potential.

If you are thinking of going glass-cannon they are good choices.

Ele deals some good damage, but has some of the longer cast times (a lot of their spells take a second or more to charge up). You can play them w/ daggers to have faster, hard hitting spells, but the staff in particular takes a while to cast. Furthermore there is a lot of micro-managing attunements to get a good combination of spells. You can stay in 1 attunement only, but it's best to constantly switch it up based on the situation & cooldowns.

Warrior is basically a melee dps (yes, with some ranged capabilites). They deal really high sustained damage, but if you're not careful they can be taken down in a few hits. They can be a bit more survivable than ele or thief (in certain ways), and can stun lock. They also have some good party buffs in the way of banners and shouts. Overall Warrior is a pretty straightforward class, especially if you like just charging in and tearing things up. They also have the largest variety of weapons to use.

Thief is very much like a combat rogue. Good mobility, lots of blinds, cripples, stuns. You can build them more for dodge / evasion tanking, or you can have them play more of a damage roll. You can build them for burst, but if you do you will be vulnerable if your burst doesn't manage to kill your target (have to wait for initiative to regen). Overall a very fun class if you like more mobility and being sneaky.

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

That's a little low to judge a class, unless you just don't like the style. And if you aren't effective enough then it could be your build.

Try post 6 from the link below. I tweaked it a little and I can clean out 3 or 4 mobs 3 levels above me, and that is without entering Death Shroud at all.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/56026-what-is-currently-the-best-solo-pve-build/

I thought I would edit my post and give you another suggestion. If you are looking for something "necroish" then maybe try the mesmer. Interesting thing is they get lots of Illusions and CC skills and they get to use a ton of different weapons, including 2-handers. Mesmers aren't exactly minion masters l ike the Necro in guild wars 1 but you do get several illusion versions of yourself that fight with you. Just a thought. :)

Originally posted by tank017

I even see more Mesmers than Necros,which surprises me.Ive played the class some,its not broken,just is not very appealing.

I saw the exact opposite actually. My necro is currently in his 60, and more often then not I was running dungeons w/ other necros. It was kind of annoying really.

Seemed like everyone was playing warrior or necro. Mesmers are actually kind of rare on my server, almost as much as guardians.

Not sure what the problem is w/ people and necros, tbh, but I've seen that a lot of these people just don't understand the class mechanics. This is especially true for people who think you just 'spam skills' on all professions.

I will say, though, that on a good necro you absolutely tear things up. Necros are REALLY good at conditions management, and you can load up an entire army of enemies with conditions insanely fast. Heck, by doing that alone I've showed up to the last 15-20 seconds of a champion staged DE, and still got gold participation, even though I was underlvled for the event.

Necros are also one of the least squishy classes I have played thus far. This is primarily due to condition management. I can place certain (weak) conditions on myself (primarily via blood is power, & epidemic), which then allows my consume conditions (self heal) to heal myself for most of my HP every 25 seconds. On top of this I have traits to grant myself regeneration whenever i drop below 90% hp. I leech health on crits (which happens often), and my #4 skill off deathshroud gives me a 2nd health pool, a party-wide heal (tics every .5 seconds for 100-200health, totalling at around 1000 hp every 30secs or so). It all adds up to a very strong class. However, if you don't like damage over time, creating armies of minions, life stealing, or condition / boon management, then you really did pick the wrong class. They are very much an offensive support class, but a support class that can bring armies of enemies to their knees.

I especially enjoy them in WvW, because they are one of the few classes that can successfully charge into an enemy zerg, do massive amounts of damage to the entire zerg, and escape without much trouble on a consistant basis.

Originally posted by Scalpless
    There's a reason why most pets are utility skills. It's not a pet class. Pets help a bit and the little guys who explode can deal decent damage, but in the end you shouldn't rely on them.

Whats your point.  It doesnt change the fact that the class is not fun to play, and the pets are an annoying aspect of it.  Like an above poster said, its get so annoying constantly recasting ive found for the last 3 levels i didnt even bother summoning them.  I literally forgot because i couldnt tell a difference without them there.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Not a huge fan of the necromancer. I was originally super excited about it because my very first character in GW1 was a necro but after playing it in GW2 it feels a bit "meh" to me. It's not a bad class and has an interesting mechanic with that shroud but it doesn't do anything for me.

Thief on the other hand, I absolutely love. Especially sword/pistol for PvE, I'm shadowsteping all over the place, vanishing, rolling around, smacking things in the face with my pistol. It's a blast! One of the funnest classes in the game, imo. Plus I got this whole pirate thing going with my outfit.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Pwn in pvp is not the reason a person picks a necro, even thou they are good at it. You pick it because of the "dark arts" only then are the skills appealing.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    GW2 Necro sucks. EQ1 Necro was like a fun god compared. ;)
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by tank017

I saw the exact opposite actually. My necro is currently in his 60, and more often then not I was running dungeons w/ other necros. It was kind of annoying really.

Seemed like everyone was playing warrior or necro. Mesmers are actually kind of rare on my server, almost as much as guardians.

Not sure what the problem is w/ people and necros, tbh, but I've seen that a lot of these people just don't understand the class mechanics. This is especially true for people who think you just 'spam skills' on all professions.

I will say, though, that on a good necro you absolutely tear things up. Necros are REALLY good at conditions management, and you can load up an entire army of enemies with conditions insanely fast. Heck, by doing that alone I've showed up to the last 15-20 seconds of a champion staged DE, and still got gold participation, even though I was underlvled for the event.

Necros are also one of the least squishy classes I have played thus far. This is primarily due to condition management. I can place certain (weak) conditions on myself (primarily via blood is power, & epidemic), which then allows my consume conditions (self heal) to heal myself for most of my HP every 25 seconds. On top of this I have traits to grant myself regeneration whenever i drop below 90% hp. I leech health on crits (which happens often), and my #4 skill off deathshroud gives me a 2nd health pool, a party-wide heal (tics every .5 seconds for 100-200health, totalling at around 1000 hp every 30secs or so). It all adds up to a very strong class. However, if you don't like damage over time, creating armies of minions, life stealing, or condition / boon management, then you really did pick the wrong class. They are very much an offensive support class, but a support class that can bring armies of enemies to their knees.

I especially enjoy them in WvW, because they are one of the few classes that can successfully charge into an enemy zerg, do massive amounts of damage to the entire zerg, and escape without much trouble on a consistant basis.

I guess thats probably really the issue then, if they're intended to be an AOE/Support class, thats probably why i dont like them.  I've played every major MMO since starting EQ1 in 2000 and i've never encountered a class i didnt at least partially enjoy playing.  Staff necro is "ok" because of the immense AOE potential but having to constantly sit there and place every aoe, basically have it not just case as a targetted aoe is especially frustrating in PVP.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Whats your point.  It doesnt change the fact that the class is not fun to play, and the pets are an annoying aspect of it.  Like an above poster said, its get so annoying constantly recasting ive found for the last 3 levels i didnt even bother summoning them.  I literally forgot because i couldnt tell a difference without them there.

For early lvls, yes. Pets get rather annoying, because they don't regen health out of combot. However once you get to 30 (and unlock your elite skill), you get flesh golem, which does regen health out of combat. Furthermore you get skills that keep your minions alive longer, that leech health for them, and that allow you to recast them sooner if they die.

This may be a bit new to people coming from EQ or WoW, but it's not that much different from how the GW1 necro played. In GW1 your minions were constantly dying, and you were constantly making new ones.

More importantly, though, that's just 1 way to play necro. They are by no means required to be a pet class. One of the best necro builds I've used was this: Conditions Necro

However, not every class will appeal to everyone. It may just not be the class for you, but I would make sure you are fully aware of what the class is capable of before you right it off. Most classes have horrible defaults, and you really only see their potential once you customize them a bit.