Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The WoW-killer may finally have arrived

Comments

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Rasputin
    Originally posted by f0dell54

The same thing is said about ever new game that comes out. This thread is just the same old song with a different dance.

We have never seen anything like this. All other releases barely put a dent in the WoW curve (SWTOR put the biggest, but it was not that big and it was very brief).

Awesome more subjective Xfire nonsense. Because we all need more of that.

Accortding to Xfire, and the people who seem to swear by it, WoW has been dead for about six years.  You know what killed it? AOC, WAR, AION, SWTOR and now GW2. Everytime a great, 'white hope', arrives people use Xfire as a reason to say said game is killing WoW. It never happens, for obvious reasons that i can't be bothered to repeat here again. The new game will have a period of franzied activity and then die down to a certain level.

Making a prediction like this based on a new game coming out and an expansion out for WoW next month is just foolish.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I do not think that any game let alone GW2 can officially kill WOW.

There are many WOW players that do not play any other games at all and have no desire to do so. In my gaming circle there are a handful of players that are happy with WOW because they know it inside and out. When they have to learn a new game they stress over the details and just do not feel comfortable.

Some of these people just have their heads in the sand as far as online gaming is concerned. They might know about the more popular games like GW2 and SWTOR, or whatever they might read in the chat channels while playing Blizzards behemoth, but they know next to nothing about any other games.

These people are happy.

Personally I think we should worry less about killing WOW and worry more about the slow death that the economy is putting on the developers.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Oh look, it's the xfire/wow killer thread again. You get 10 points for originalty and completly acurate measuring tools.
  • GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Dranny
    Joins in with popcorn and flame proof suit.   image

Stands behind guy with flame proof suit...grabs some popcorn and thus secretly wonders why there is no butter on it. Looks at flame suit guy in disgust...punctures suit and pours water in it..hehehe...that will teach you to not have butter. mmm....butter

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Cue 15 page long thread with variations of 'only WoW can kill WoW' and 'X-Fire is a shit way to judge numbers'

:(

X-fire has shown itself as remarkably reliable in tracking trends. SWTOR was very accurately predicted, and currently the failure of TSW can be read in the statistics, just as Diablo3 can.

Also Age of Conan and Warhammer Online were very accurately predicted.

Ignoring x-fire is foolish if you are interested in how the different games are performing - IMO.

Yep. But let the sceptics deny it and miss out on some wonderful trend data.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by f0dell54

The same thing is said about ever new game that comes out. This thread is just the same old song with a different dance.

We have never seen anything like this. All other releases barely put a dent in the WoW curve (SWTOR put the biggest, but it was not that big and it was very brief).

Awesome more subjective Xfire nonsense. Because we all need more of that.

Accortding to Xfire, and the people who seem to swear by it, WoW has been dead for about six years.  You know what killed it? AOC, WAR, AION, SWTOR and now GW2. Everytime a great, 'white hope', arrives people use Xfire as a reason to say said game is killing WoW. It never happens, for obvious reasons that i can't be bothered to repeat here again. The new game will have a period of franzied activity and then die down to a certain level.

Making a prediction like this based on a new game coming out and an expansion out for WoW next month is just foolish.

No MMORPG has ever toppled WoW on Xfire, until now. So your post is as innacurate as it is ignorant.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I don't care if GW2 kills WoW or not, all I'd like to see is some of the features and mechanics influence a new generation of MMOs instead of getting another round of WoW clones.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Actually, GW2 has currently its own problems, so we have to wait a month and see how it develops. WvW is one of GW2's main features, however, waiting-cues are hurting a lot.

Meanwhile I am convinced that Blizzard is faking the numbers. My old server is almost empty, but Blizzard is still claiming that there are more than 10 millions active players. The truth will come with selling MoP and I predict, that it will not be as successful as WotLK or Cata. Not because of GW2, but because of the fact that many players are just tired of the same old concept.

I know a lot of people who tried SWTOR or Diablo and say things like:"There are so many other things I can do, I am tired of the whole genre. Kung-Fu-Panda? Come on..."

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89

of course world of warcraft is dying. there was nothing to do in the game at the end of an expansion. gw2 is just another hype game like the rest of the games released were... OH NOZ THE KILLER OF WOW!1! wait until mists of pandaria. it may not be good, but wow will get lots of attention.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

OP. Do you even pay attention to the ten million people who play WoW?

Let me rephrase that.

There are ten million+ subscribers to WoW. 

There are ten million. subscribers. to WoW.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Cue 15 page long thread with variations of 'only WoW can kill WoW' and 'X-Fire is a shit way to judge numbers'

Ok, when MOP releases and GW2 numbers dip and wow numbers go up, what will you say about that?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

That happens every MMO launch.

GW2 will probably hurt it, but only WoW can kill WoW.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I want to see this thread again in a month, when Pandaria releases.

Then we will truly see.

Agreed.

As I stated, GW2 has to prove it's longevity, and that will take some months. That is why I used the word 'may' in the headline.

As of right now, this is the best candidate for a WoW-killer we have had, that does not mean that it will happen.

As for actually KILLING WoW, in that it closes down completely, is not what I mean with a "WoW-killer". To me a WoW-killer is a game, that sends WoW into obscurity. If it limps on for another 5-10 years with a negligable population - like UO - I will consider it effectively "killed".

You used the word may so that if you were correct you could point out how correct and smart you are. But if it doesn't you can say look I say may.   Kind of taking a stand without really taking a stand. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Ok, when MOP releases and GW2 numbers dip and wow numbers go up, what will you say about that?

I think you overestimate my need to give a shit or worry about that.

I will probably say, 'so what?'

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If there is a god,he would make people refrain from making posts like these..

GW2 is a NEW GAME,of course people are going to be flocking to it..

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I don't care about xfire stats. to be honest. Its the month before the next expac, Wow always takes a player hit then, Every big guild has cleared the raids and heroics and is just waiting for the next expac.

So wow always loses subs and players then, I for one have been just biding my time to play regularly for at least 6 months, Ive played tor and still sub to it and wow but truth is i maybe play wow maybe 5 hrs a week at most right now.

Once mop hits ill be playing that much daily. So will alot of wow players, This is nothing new, U got a new buy 2 play game that alot of people will go try out as tons of wow players do this, 

They always come back for the next expac, Until wow shuts it down i have 6 yrs invested in there game no way am i ever just gonna quit for good and im sure thats true of alot fo wow players, 

Its still the best game ive played, I love tor too but wow is still a better game to me, Im sure alot of the gw 2 players who playw ow also will come back to wow once mop hits and they ahve new stuff to do once again, 

To say a buy 2 play game is gonna kill a sub game is ridiculous, U dont have to have either or with wow and gw 2 u can do both with the diffrent buisness models. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nah wont kill WoW until you can actually call customer support. Yeah sounds crazy, but I would like to speak with someone after being hacked...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

Actually, GW2 has currently its own problems, so we have to wait a month and see how it develops. WvW is one of GW2's main features, however, waiting-cues are hurting a lot.

Meanwhile I am convinced that Blizzard is faking the numbers. My old server is almost empty, but Blizzard is still claiming that there are more than 10 millions active players. The truth will come with selling MoP and I predict, that it will not be as successful as WotLK or Cata. Not because of GW2, but because of the fact that many players are just tired of the same old concept.

I know a lot of people who tried SWTOR or Diablo and say things like:"There are so many other things I can do, I am tired of the whole genre. Kung-Fu-Panda? Come on..."

Sheer amount of ignorance in one post.

Your server might be empty but that doesn't mean people aren't paying. There are a lot of people that pay the sub but log in once every two weeks.

Blizzard cannot fake numbers as it is illegal. They have stockholders and investors they are responsible to.

Kung fu panda argument is a very subjective point of view. Some find it awesome, other don't. I do play WoW and I wasn't all that impressed with whole panda thing but the fact is pandaren race appeared in warcraft universe looong before Kung Fu panda movie even came out, and while I understand why would you think it the other way around I do think that you and other people that still think WoW took the race from a movie, should educate themselves rather than making such accusations. Pandarens have been most demanded thing in WoW since The Burning Crusade.

We will have to wait another few years until real next gen MMOs come out with fresh ideas and innovative concepts. GW2 is nice and shinny but it is nothing new. All of the upcoming releases are same old, same old. I do understand when people say "I'm tired of the whole genre." It is pretty much all the same thing.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    I'm pretty sure GW2 isn't going to kill WoW.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

X-fire has shown itself as remarkably reliable in tracking trends. SWTOR was very accurately predicted, and currently the failure of TSW can be read in the statistics, just as Diablo3 can.

Also Age of Conan and Warhammer Online were very accurately predicted.

Ignoring x-fire is foolish if you are interested in how the different games are performing - IMO.

I never use X-Fire and if I am intresting in a game I either buy it, demo/trial it.

I play games that are fun for me to play and to know that I need to actually play the game.

Don't know why people these day's are so fasinated with things like X-Fire, as if X-Fire tells you if a game is good or fun. It only shows what games according to those signed in at X-fire are populair, still doesn't really say anything about the games itself. Because just because something is populair doesn't mean it's really good or fun. Obviously for many it does show that cause people like to think that what is populair is fun. And do not get me wrong for many those games are fun.

As for the WoW-Killer has arrived, heard that soooooooo many times before, but also because I consider myself a true gamer I never would wish for one game to die to benifith another game. To me there can not be enough games so each and every gamer out there is able to find THAT game to enjoy.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

EVE seems to have also suffered a little pullback from the release of GW2. But Xfire only lists 732 players and I KNOW for a fact that EVE has many, many more than that. 

According to the website, there are only 7,637 xfire users playing wow. How do you get a large-scale assumption from a very small amount of data? Are we trying to pinpoint a trend here? On the front page it says there are 22,170,049 xfire users. 

Another thing I noticed, it xfire only shows the last 30 days. Why don't they show other historic graphs like 1 yr, 5 yr and all time? Then you can get a real long term picture on the ebb and flow of just xfire users that are currently playing EVE. It seems like missing something. 

• MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114

As i Said it before Xfire is a JOKE!!!!! And means nothing. Only way Xfire works if you download it and use it and aperently only GW2 fans are the only one's intreasted in using it just to brag how uber cool GW2 is.

The more people want to rub xfire in our face and state it is a WoW killer the more I can care less about ever playing GW2 and I am sure others feel the same way.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

After having played gw2 extensively, I think gw2 will kill Wow.  WoW is already in a decline. Yes it still has High numbers, but it is in a free fall.  In a year it has lost 1 million subscribers. I'm from Saskatchewan, Canada and we have 1 million people in our whole province.   Could you imagine a whole province full of people all picking up and leave?

The xfire stats are showing a trend.  You will see the numbers rise back up in WoW's favour with the release of MoP but fully expect those numbers to fall back down.  After the people who have played the wow expansion will be asking themselves, why am I paying for this when there is a better less expensive option?

Two months after the release of MoP I predict the mass exodus of WoW to materialize.   It will no longer be number one for players, but a solid number 2 sometime next year. 

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Well I play both and enjoy them both as I'm sure a whole lot of peeps do.  :)
  • MrNoMrNo Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Wait there is one game that will Kill WoW that is Titan. Case closed. TYVM