Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you guys earning money?

HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

As the title suggests, how are you guys earning money in GW2 while the trading post is down?   And what are your plans once the TP is up and running again?

Feel free to share your secrets in as little or as much detail as you like.  Let the bragging commence!

Comments

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    100% zone completion gives a big chunk of silver, 1-15 zones gives around 10 i believe more for higher level ones obviously they can only be done once.. but if you need a bit of cash injection and you still got unexplored zones that's a pretty decent source, specially if you arleady have it half completed from leveling.
  • NibiruXNibiruX Member Posts: 11
    selling all i can find
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    I've been selling my garbage loot to random npc's in the area and breaking down some components for crafting, that's all you can really do since the trade has been down since head start.
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I am pretty broke actually with no market to trade.  I just spent 1 g on the level 40 trait book which was almost half my gold.  I've spent most of the remaining on buying low level cloth from vendors for jute scraps.  On a sidenote, I am having a hell of time getting enough jute scrap to level my tailoring from 25-75.  It's nuts.   My cooking is already at 175 but my tailoring is like 43 because I cannot find enough jute scraps.   I have hundreds of cotton and wool, but no jute.

Needless to say I have been unlucky in the sense that I've only seen the trading post up for about an hour for me.  They really need to resolve the issues asap.  I hope they are working this weekend somewhat :)

As far as making gold, I just sell all the white colored gear and grey junk.  I break everything else down because of limited bank space and the fact I can't sell it without spamming WTS.  I am never one of those rich people in MMO's (well except Eve!) but I am especially poor in this game haha.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

im broke

ive been trying to find ways to REDUCE losing money

- use waypoints less (unless in city)

- run away instead of dieing  (reduce armor repair costs)

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81

I was running around gathering everything I could find becoming somewhat of a hoarder.  I'd waste money at heart quest vendors everytime they had a new piece of armor or weapon.

I decided to sell everything I'd hoarded & stop wasting money on gear unless it provided a substantial stat bonus.  That and almost all the low level armor looks identical.  

Now I'm actually making money from questing alone and selling drops.  Close to 2g now at 20th from just doing that.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

My wife thinks im some kind of con artist but selling stuff to actual players made me a small chunk of change ... overpriced of course XD

Never give a sucker an even break - W.C Fields

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Worstluck

I am pretty broke actually with no market to trade.  I just spent 1 g on the level 40 trait book which was almost half my gold.  I've spent most of the remaining on buying low level cloth from vendors for jute scraps.  On a sidenote, I am having a hell of time getting enough jute scrap to level my tailoring from 25-75.  It's nuts.   My cooking is already at 175 but my tailoring is like 43 because I cannot find enough jute scraps.   I have hundreds of cotton and wool, but no jute. Needless to say I have been unlucky in the sense that I've only seen the trading post up for about an hour for me.  They really need to resolve the issues asap.  I hope they are working this weekend somewhat :) As far as making gold, I just sell all the white colored gear and grey junk.  I break everything else down because of limited bank space and the fact I can't sell it without spamming WTS.  I am never one of those rich people in MMO's (well except Eve!) but I am especially poor in this game haha.

Bandits drop the jutes scraps you need... I had the same problem buying then breaking down until I discovered bandits

• DamzillaDamzilla Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Somehow I always find ways to become wealthy in games, but this is a hard one... I'm lvl 16 and only have about 20 silver - mostly selling junk and exploring etc.
  • dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77

I am pretty broke actually with no market to trade.  I just spent 1 g on the level 40 trait book which was almost half my gold.  I've spent most of the remaining on buying low level cloth from vendors for jute scraps.  On a sidenote, I am having a hell of time getting enough jute scrap to level my tailoring from 25-75.  It's nuts.   My cooking is already at 175 but my tailoring is like 43 because I cannot find enough jute scraps.   I have hundreds of cotton and wool, but no jute.

Needless to say I have been unlucky in the sense that I've only seen the trading post up for about an hour for me.  They really need to resolve the issues asap.  I hope they are working this weekend somewhat :)

As far as making gold, I just sell all the white colored gear and grey junk.  I break everything else down because of limited bank space and the fact I can't sell it without spamming WTS.  I am never one of those rich people in MMO's (well except Eve!) but I am especially poor in this game haha.

That could be why you are low in the jute department I break down everything and only vendor the junk.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Jebus...have you tried actually selling in chat...lol...actually, dont, I can continue to sell what I have for a higher price with so next to no one else doing it.
  • WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08

That could be why you are low in the jute department I break down everything and only vendor the junk.

Well I didn't start off that way lol.  I only sell the white stuff now that I am in the 40 zones as I am overflowing with cotton etc.  and I need cash.

I will check out the bandits again.  I was kill centaurs in the 1-15 zone last night but it was slow going.  I ended up just buying level 5 white armor which gives 2-3 scraps each.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I'm at about 8 gold now, I've been playing the market every time I get a chance but when it's down I buy low/sell high with other players through trading.  For instance going to lower level zones and buying tiny claws/fangs/weak blood/ totems and other things like that for 10 copper or something and then selling them for 7 times that.  It's a trust thing and I'm really surprised I haven't been scammed yet.  I usually make it so I send them half, they send me half, then the other half.  Or less if it's a high quantitiy. Been working great.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I just earned enough and bought bank slot for 600gems. Not that bad without Trading post, could be much better
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08

Well I didn't start off that way lol.  I only sell the white stuff now that I am in the 40 zones as I am overflowing with cotton etc.  and I need cash.

I will check out the bandits again.  I was kill centaurs in the 1-15 zone last night but it was slow going.  I ended up just buying level 5 white armor which gives 2-3 scraps each.

The white stuff breaks down into just as many crafting parts as blue and green gear, but it sells for less.  If anything, you should be breaking down all the white stuff and selling the better stuff.  The only added benefit from breaking down higher quality gear is the chance of earning a rare material or recovering its sigil, which is next to negligible unless you're using a really good salavge kit.  Even then, unless you very selectively salavge weapons with really good sigils, the added income from your salvaged parts won't surpass the added cost of the superior salvage kit, resulting in a net loss. 

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

2 ways to get money:

1. buy it from ArenaNet in exchnge for gems.

2. farm the CM dungeon level 40 storymode in Queensdale

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483
    My friend, a mesmer provides portal service to hard to get vistas :D works by mail. gets 5 silver per ride.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I've just been doing all the zones. Finished all 5 of the 1-15 zones and now working my way through the next set. If you run away instead of dying you can save coin that way. And also simply by not buying anything you don't need. The game provides you with everything you need provided you don't rush through the content.

I think my biggest expense is waypoints, profession trait manuals, and  buying salvage kits and gathering tools.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I sell everything to NPC's. Even bags. I don't take the loot out of the bag because the bag is usually worth about 20 copper where is you might get a MAT out of it that only goes for 3 or 4 copper. 

Basically I sell everything I find to NPC's and I will sell Greens with good Runes to other people overpriced and Yellows to other people over Priced. If its crappy Greens or Blues I just sell to NPC.

Me sure to loot everything you see and also cut down every tree, gather every goodie, and mine every ore on your way.

So far through level 46 I have earned about 6 gold all together.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I sell everything to NPC's. Even bags. I don't take the loot out of the bag because the bag is usually worth about 20 copper where is you might get a MAT out of it that only goes for 3 or 4 copper. 

Basically I sell everything I find to NPC's and I will sell Greens with good Runes to other people overpriced and Yellows to other people over Priced. If its crappy Greens or Blues I just sell to NPC.

Me sure to loot everything you see and also cut down every tree, gather every goodie, and mine every ore on your way.

So far through level 46 I have earned about 6 gold all together.

That is unwise because bag usually contain Fine crafting materials that can easily go for 50c to 1s each on the trading post. The trading post might be down for now but it won't be long until it is up and you'll be kicking yourself in the head for vendoring all those mats.

You can make more than enough money to keep yourself comfortable by selling blue gear drops, DE's, hearts and personal story.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm definitely using waypoints less.

With the current depressed pricing on the base crafting mats, I now only salvage stuff likely to produce mats I need myself. The rest is being vendored. That alone has made a difference. Crafting is a huge money sink. The economy may eventually support it, but right now if you don't have a guild tossing mats at you, it's just doesn't seem viable.

Base mats have dropped to 3-4 copper. Salvaging an item usually produces 1-3 mats, plus you have the cost of each salvage kit. If you don't need the base mats for personal use, don't salvage, sell the items.

One tip: Zone completion bonuses seem to scale with your true level, so you are better off holding off on 100% completion for most of the zones until you are higher level. Get them almost to 100% and if you really need the cash, consider completing one only then.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by dlld
    100% zone completion gives a big chunk of silver, 1-15 zones gives around 10 i believe more for higher level ones obviously they can only be done once.. but if you need a bit of cash injection and you still got unexplored zones that's a pretty decent source, specially if you arleady have it half completed from leveling.

I am in the human zone, and have everything except 1 skill up.  I can't find it anywhere.  I've searched the map and it must be hidden.  ARGH>

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Well I hope people are not doing what they are hoping people do while they keep the AH down. They are hoping people spend real money to buy gems and convert it to gold. Sad but with the AH still down its becoming more and more like a reality.
  • OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

I hear alot of players saying they are broke because of waypoints and repair costs wich i  do not understand..

When i play i am kinda rushing trough the content getting zones completed as fast as possible wich makes me end up fighting higher lvl mobs at times that will kill me many times:)  also i use waypoints for everything i never want to walk and i do not run arround with any intent of making money or crafting.

Yet my money keeps increasing while all i do is running around with auto loot on and selling everything that i cant use and isnt a collectible

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Well I hope people are not doing what they are hoping people do while they keep the AH down. They are hoping people spend real money to buy gems and convert it to gold. Sad but with the AH still down its becoming more and more like a reality.

Please don't tell me you seriously believe that...