Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't believe people are hitting 80 so quickly.

GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

It's crazy. I've been playing for a few days now and wading through a river of boring classes to find the one for me: Necromancer. I'm honestly struggling to find a way to get to level 11 at the moment to continue my Personal Story, but it's taking a while. I've had to repeat a few events -- some 3-4 times -- and now I'm just exploring Divinity's Reach hoping to hit level 10 by the end of it. lol

But then, I've still not really gotten into crafting. Just made a couple of Bolts of Jute or whatever so far for a bit of xp, but that's it.

The game is pretty fun, though, and I'll probably play for a while, but it's not quite as great as the hype made it out to be, unfortunately. :(

Still, it's better than anything else at the moment, I'd say. I might get hooked a little farther in, we'll see.

At this point, it seems like it'll take MONTHS to hit 80 for me! Which I don't really mind all that much.

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    It's the old MMO mindset. But hey, it's not like I have any right to tell people how to play their game.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    I have 98 hours logged and I'm lvl 63. It's easy to level in this game.
  • DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I spent the whole of the other evening going through a jumping puzzle and I didn't feel like I had wasted any time at all.

I'm not sure if it is the lack of sub or the lack of end-game-progression, but I don't feel this huge urge to make sure I'm being "productive" during my play time.  I know that with a sub, there's a feeling of making that 15 dollars count for something...which prods away in the back of your mind.  End-game progression is similar, since you don't want to get behind.  Eh, whatever it is that made me feel that way, I don't have it with GW2.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by Aviggin

It's crazy. I've been playing for a few days now and wading through a river of boring classes to find the one for me: Necromancer. I'm honestly struggling to find a way to get to level 11 at the moment to continue my Personal Story, but it's taking a while. I've had to repeat a few events -- some 3-4 times -- and now I'm just exploring Divinity's Reach hoping to hit level 10 by the end of it. lol

But then, I've still not really gotten into crafting. Just made a couple of Bolts of Jute or whatever so far for a bit of xp, but that's it.

The game is pretty fun, though, and I'll probably play for a while, but it's not quite as great as the hype made it out to be, unfortunately. :(

Still, it's better than anything else at the moment, I'd say. I might get hooked a little farther in, we'll see.

At this point, it seems like it'll take MONTHS to hit 80 for me! Which I don't really mind all that much.

Content Locusts are what they got called on this website i believe.  It happens every single time to every game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Methos12
    It's the old MMO mindset. But hey, it's not like I have any right to tell people how to play their game.

I never got  the whole idea of...

"I'm going to spend $60 on this game, and then level as fast as I can so I can spend the least amount of time in it possible!"

I mean, I know it's easy to get caught up in the whole leveling rat race thing...but when you step back and look at it, my statement above is pretty accurate in the long run.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

The ones rushing to 80 are doing the same events over and over again. No fun for me doing that though...

About fun class. I picked Necro during the stress-tests (not rly playing though) and liked it a lot. So I picked one as main char and am 'going strong' on it. Best thing I like about necro is that you can play it in 3 ways:

1. pure necromancit - debuff/pets
    2. close to pure DD with one pet around you
    3. support healing/AoE rez and buff removal (good in PvP!)
    Also, after 7 days of playing, I've played around 40 hours according to /age and I'm only level 27. But at least I did complete 2 maps already ;-)
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Syno23

Well the difference is that apparently you logged in like 12+ hours a day and I've only been able to spend maybe 3-4 at a time on my best day when I don't have much to do. I guess that's the secret. ;)

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

As both an alterholic and a completionist my ranger wont make 80 till the end of sep, then i roll another, planning on asura for november, charr for dec, i cannot even imagine getting to 80 at this point, and I think some here are doing it in order to sabotage themselves and the games rep, to protect WoW. One OP here pretty much admitted that its all about helping WoW kill another pretender.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Not sure why you're having such a hard time lvling (are you dying a lot, or just not sure what to do?). I've heard similar complaints from some of the other necros in my guild, but once they knew how to play a necro correctly they were dominating.

You're still low lvl, but you shouldn't be dying much. Second to the guardian, Necros are the most survivable class in the game. Minions will definitely help you before you get into your 20s, and I'd recommend keeping the healing minion, and bone fiend (ranged attack minion) as your utility. I'd also highly recommend focusing on conditions. You won't hit as hard, but you will be doing a lot more damage (especially against tougher / high lvl mobs, since conditions bypass defenses). Generally I stick with a focus / dagger main combination, and switch between staff or axe / warhorn for my 2ndary (high damage output, and you can use locusts to either give you a speed boost or to double up your damage at close range).

That combo did really well for me all the way into my 30s (and I still use focus / dagger as my main weapon of choice), using grasping dead & bleeds to keep any number of enemies crippled and DoTed while I kited them. Eventually I modified my utilities away from minion-heavy, towards more condition / utility heavy skills (spectral walk, blood is power, epidemic), but by the time you get to 30+ you have enough talent points to really start customizing your character any way you want. I chose a split between curses (conditions focused) and blood magic (toughness / life leech / group heals). Made me a really good offensive support character for parties and dungeon groups, and I didn't die very often at all (even in explorable mode dungeons). I've even had cases where I was the last one alive, and kept the fights going while I waited for my teamm8s to respawn and run back.

- Anyway, glad you found a class you liked. Seems to be different from every person. Don't worry too much about lvl 80, just have fun w/ the game. This game is one of the least lvl focused MMOs in a while. They probably could've gotten away with removing the lvls altogether, and making it more like GW1, but oh well. They made a decision and stuck to it.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

So seven days from headstart...

98 hours divided by seven days... 14 hours a day...

Sounds healthy and fun!

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

"Content Locusts" 

I like that. It bothers me that these people miss the point of MMO's completely. And why do they always run to the forums to blame the game for their boredom? You blew through 80 levels of content in the first 4 days of a games existence and it's the games fault? Laughable. 

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Creslin321

"I'm going to spend $60 on this game, and then level as fast as I can so I can spend the least amount of time in it possible!"

I mean, I know it's easy to get caught up in the whole leveling rat race thing...but when you step back and look at it, my statement above is pretty accurate in the long run.

I don't disagree with you. I myself think the same. However I do believe some statements I have seen online that people do find the game very easy to level in without that mindset.

Originally posted by Creslin321

It's a number of factors, honestly. Some of it is an indoctrination of flawed game design. Some is habit from the subscription model. Some is just an excuse.

You're definitely right, though. From an enjoyment perspective, it's kind of silly to burn through a game if you find it fun. It's also kind of sad to see a game that finally allows you to really take your time, and people are so used to games that don't; that many aren't taking advantage of this.

Personally, I've been doing a little of both (though I'm currently not able to play =/ ). When it comes to hearts / map completion I burn through that stuff really fast. I think part of it is that I want the map completions, but I'm not that big into hearts. I'm more interested in seeing what the karma vendors will become once the heart is finished. However, whenver I find a new vista, if it's awesome I wait out the cutscene and really take in the experience. Sometimes I watch them more than once. Furthermore, with the personal story, I've really started getting into it (male sylvari storyline, order of whispers path). Not only do I temporarily disable vent whenever I do a new story quest, but I never hit skip, and I always pay attention to what's going on.

There really is a lot of reward to paying attention to the game, and not burning through the content. Not only is most of the content fairly interesting, but it also all ties together in a very cohesive way. I even started on my human alt (which I thought the story would suck, cause it kinda did in the betas) and I'm getting pleasantly surprised by the commoner / never found out my parents storyline. Even outside of the personal story; the world is rich with hidden places to explore and awesome bits of lore.

Originally posted by Muridan

"Content Locusts" 

I like that. It bothers me that these people miss the point of MMO's completely. And why do they always run to the forums to blame the game for their boredom? You blew through 80 levels of content in the first 4 days of a games existence and it's the games fault? Laughable. 

There's people like that in all aspects of life, though.

You can pretty much take anything in life, and if you just blow through it super fast, it's usually not that great. It's also a lot safer to constantly complain how 'everything sucks', than it is to actually man up and find what you enjoy. As they say 'everyone's a critic', and it's far easier to just criticize everything, than it is to actually take a risk on something that might be good.

Instead of enjoying these games, all these people are really doing is desensitizing themselves to them, and then complaining about how they aren't interesting anymore.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by Muridan

"Content Locusts" 

It's a term coined by Ragnar Tørnquist who produced AO, TLJ and is now in charge of The Secret world :)

He claimed that there was never any posibility of a themepark game to accomodate for this type of player and he is quite right. 

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Well the difference is that apparently you logged in like 12+ hours a day and I've only been able to spend maybe 3-4 at a time on my best day when I don't have much to do. I guess that's the secret. ;)

Yea, people with no lives and unemployment can do those sort of things. Problem solved! All you need to do is quit your job and make GW2 your new one.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

Devs said it was going to be zero grind to level. Game is less about level and more about fun. Even at level 80 there are still more skills to earn.  The game is so EPIC IMO I cant help but enjoy it as I level.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

It depends on what you are doing. Leveling SMART will always level you up faster.

For instance, when i enter a new map, i aim to clear it immediately and find all the skill points and vista's in a logical manner, making a rough beeline between them and not just wandering around. Do De's along the way and Gather resources. I am always above my level for story mission. You get to see everything too, which is better to me than running yaks all day.

Or you could run Yak's all day i guess. It really isn't ALOT of exp, it just comes FASTER than running around looking for DE's.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Did you make a thread about how GW2 was so challenging?

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by aesperus

Not sure why you're having such a hard time lvling (are you dying a lot, or just not sure what to do?). I've heard similar complaints from some of the other necros in my guild, but once they knew how to play a necro correctly they were dominating.

You're still low lvl, but you shouldn't be dying much. Second to the guardian, Necros are the most survivable class in the game. Minions will definitely help you before you get into your 20s, and I'd recommend keeping the healing minion, and bone fiend (ranged attack minion) as your utility. I'd also highly recommend focusing on conditions. You won't hit as hard, but you will be doing a lot more damage (especially against tougher / high lvl mobs, since conditions bypass defenses). Generally I stick with a focus / dagger main combination, and switch between staff or axe / warhorn for my 2ndary (high damage output, and you can use locusts to either give you a speed boost or to double up your damage at close range).

That combo did really well for me all the way into my 30s (and I still use focus / dagger as my main weapon of choice), using grasping dead & bleeds to keep any number of enemies crippled and DoTed while I kited them. Eventually I modified my utilities away from minion-heavy, towards more condition / utility heavy skills (spectral walk, blood is power, epidemic), but by the time you get to 30+ you have enough talent points to really start customizing your character any way you want. I chose a split between curses (conditions focused) and blood magic (toughness / life leech / group heals). Made me a really good offensive support character for parties and dungeon groups, and I didn't die very often at all (even in explorable mode dungeons). I've even had cases where I was the last one alive, and kept the fights going while I waited for my teamm8s to respawn and run back.

- Anyway, glad you found a class you liked. Seems to be different from every person. Don't worry too much about lvl 80, just have fun w/ the game. This game is one of the least lvl focused MMOs in a while. They probably could've gotten away with removing the lvls altogether, and making it more like GW1, but oh well. They made a decision and stuck to it.

You're confusing xp gain with actual difficulty of the game. I don't die very often at all, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of quests to do -- unless, of course, A.net expected me to grind the same quests over and over to certain levels, which is what I am doing at the moment.

I just finished exploring the entirety of Divinity's Reach and I'm like a quarter of the xp bar away from level 10, finished all the hearts I have come across in Queensdale so far, and farthest I've travelled is to Claypool, where I trained with the Militia, which I found pretty cool.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Focus on map clearing instead (completing hearts, discovering points of interest and waypoints) and when you bump into DEs, do them too. Also chop down and start picking at mines as you pass them by. Do NOT focus all your energy on DEs as this will just make the game seem boring, repetitive and leveling slow (this is what people mean by old mindset I believe). 

That is how I play the game anyway and loving every bit of it.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Ill probably hit 80 by christmas, nots not that im not playing much I play hours each day, but im taking it slow and enjoying my time XD
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Vaultar

Focus on map clearing instead (completing hearts, discovering points of interest and waypoints) and when you bump into DEs, do them too. Also chop down and start picking at mines as you pass them by. Do NOT focus all your energy on DEs as this will just make the game seem boring, repetitive and leveling slow (this is what people mean by old mindset I believe). 

That is how I play the game anyway and loving every bit of it.

That's how I'm playing.  I find I have to change zones occasionally when I fall behind.  But they have plenty of overlapping zones so it isn't an issue.  At least not until I make an alt who has to run the same zones.

I gave up on crafting, but not mining.  I plan on unlocking everything after I hit 80.  Then I'll craft and WvWvw.  After that I can level alts.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I usually spend the night just wandering with a couple guildies and seeing where our adventures take us- good fun. There is a risk that you don't get connected with the world and that it alm feels a bit mechanical if you just plan optimal routes etc, that's a bit of a traditional end game themepark behaviour where you optimise your route because xp race is a factor.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by aesperus

You're confusing xp gain with actual difficulty of the game. I don't die very often at all, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of quests to do -- unless, of course, A.net expected me to grind the same quests over and over to certain levels, which is what I am doing at the moment.

I just finished exploring the entirety of Divinity's Reach and I'm like a quarter of the xp bar away from level 10, finished all the hearts I have come across in Queensdale so far, and farthest I've travelled is to Claypool, where I trained with the Militia, which I found pretty cool.

Not confusing anything. My very first question is whether you are having trouble with difficutly, or finding enough content. I assumed you were talking about game difficulty, as your OP talks about you dying a bit. However, that's why I put the question at the top of my post.

As for not having enough stuff to do, here is a very good video that explains this: Enigmius; Leveling Too Slow?

Anet doesn't really expect you to do anything specifically. They designed the game to allow you to do a whole plethora of things, and choose what you want to do. Ultimately, aside from Personal Story, you can lvl by only doing 1 type of thing. However, that doesn't mean that it'll be enjoyable, or will be at the fastest pace. People have often asked me how I lvled so fast (which really isn't that fast, I'm only lvl 60 atm), and the answer is always 'do a bit of everything'.

Unlike most MMOs, GW2 literally rewards you for pretty much everything you do. You will generally always get a reward for doing something, provided you are actually doing something. For example; typically my mindset for this game goes as follows. I go for map completion, and I gather as many crafting nodes as I can (in the hopes that the trading post will eventually come online, so I can sell them to make some extra money). Just these two steps basically sets me up for the following:

It guaruntees I'll be going to all the hearts (which you're already doing), and it encourages me to go off the beaten path to find obscure gathering nodes (especially rich ore), which often leads to hidden puzzles / dynamic events / treasures / etc. My rule is, whenever I come across something like that, I do it (usually). Not only have I had no problems lvling this way, but I'm almost always over lvled in a zone before I finish. When I get bored, or too far ahead on lvls, I either jump into pvp for a bit, or get caught up on my personal story.

- Anyway, watch the video. It does a really good job of explaining this; and how exactly EXP gain works in GW2.