Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lag, oh my the LAG in this game!

CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
Does anyone else have serious lag issues with this game? No matter if I am on the overflow servers or my regular server, the lag most of the time is just atrocious. 

I am talking 2+ second ability lag here a lot of the time. Also approaching players sometimes don't appear on my screen until they are right on top of me. Been happening on and off since release and hasn't gotten any better. I have a fiber connection to the home that pings awesome to BF3 server etc 20-40ms. So unless my internet provider gets routed to the moon and back before it gets to Texas where the GW2 servers are, not sure what is going on here. 

Completely unplayable in any PvP and barely playable in PvE. I thought it would be getting better since release but it seems to be getting worse! Besides Eve online fleet fights, this is the laggiest MMORPG out of dozens I have ever played. 

Comments

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    It started tonight after the whole black lion went down. 
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    It's been happening to me all week. 
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    i had a lil delay of 2 sec for a couple of minute that it. did not have any lag at all after that,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

The newest reddit complaint s about it over 31 people having this issue regardless of its only you atempts 

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z62xa/the_game_has_been_running_smoothly_for_me/

• rafatalex007rafatalex007 Member Posts: 54

i played today and yesterday didn't have a single lag ( i have a 256 dsl) so my net is slow look try doing this :

make a shurtcut and put this after target location :"which hard you have installed:Guild Wars 2Gw2.exe" -authsrv 206.127.159.107

this way it willl dirctly connect to EU server if you are in NA do this :

Go to answer (IN support) check : Error Codes, Error Code 58 x x x x, and do what they ask and chose if you are on EU or US server, (it semed to solve my issue)

i hope this solve the problome

• DoggettDoggett Member Posts: 39
    I get it off and on depending on the time of day I play, it makes it really hard to solo some harder packs when you're abilities are delayed like that
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    The only time I've ever experienced serious lag was when I was doing the kegger brawl pvp. There was some serious rubberbanding going on.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    The only lag I've ever experienced is with the guild chat sometimes. Never had any problems playing my character or moving around in the word. However, I'm on a European server. It seems to me reading that Reddit thread that the people having the problems are those connecting to the US ones. That would indicate the problem is their end not ours.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    I find it so odd that others are lagging, i am not saying your not, but i live where the internet is garbage, i get 600+ pings in every mmo i play. Yet even with my high pings i barely lag at all. Living in Barrow Alaska was i thought going to be a death sentence for my mmo hobby. Seems like having better pings does not matter too much.

Lolipops !

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I've been playing for a few hours now and haven't had much lag at all.  I have had a bit, though, here and there, but nothing much.
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    EU player here. When I'm on my normal server the game seems to run smoothly, but ocassionally when I'm moved to an overflow server the game lags like hell. The worst was on Wednesday & Thursday where I experienced some 30second lag spikes but those seem to have gone down in length and in frequency.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Weretigar
    It started tonight after the whole black lion went down. 

This morning to me, but I guess you're from the US so it was around the same time ;-)

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Besides Orr, I've really experienced next to no lag since the moment the headstart happened.
  • Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I'm sorry but im living the fursest from the server in Sydney Australia, and I've had little to no lagg playing in GW2, with ping of 200+ so yeh... thats my side of it living along way away...

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I played a bit today and didn't really notice any lag, but a few guides did have it. We're on Yak's Bend and our guild is part AU part US.

So I guess whatever is happening is not affecting everyone, which I imagine makes it a bit harder to fix.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I haven't had any lag at all.  I'm in the US though, so maybe that's why?
  • EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

I get some nasty lag on the overflow servers but on my home server, it's been ok so far.

That said, guild chat (& occasionally other channels) has been laggy, as has the guild panel in general no matter where I am.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

No lag here.

Playing on a good up graded desktop.......I'll bet 99% of the players complaning are playing on Laptops......Why people insist on owning Laptops is beyond me !

I have one but I travel 50% of my life and live in hotels. Sometimes I will try playing mmo's, but I don't count on them to play well if at all !!!!

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I was laggin like SHIT for a good two hours tonight.  I'm talking like a 6 second delay on everything I did.  Other then that pretty much everything has been completely flawless.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

Originally posted by observer
    I haven't had any lag at all.  I'm in the US though, so maybe that's why?

I'm in the US only a few states away from the servers in Texas and the lg is unbearable. 

I just checked and my ping to the servers in Dallas is ~50ms. So it is obviously a server issue when I have 2+ second ability lag. 
  • IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    I have fine time playing during day and lag during evenings :(
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Duing the week I had ability lag twice. Besides that it's been smooth for me. I'm from EU.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I had it last night.  It's called LATENCY not LAG.  Please get this right.  Lag is issue with video and FPS.  Latency is server communication.  I'm not surprised it happened last night at all because, it was Friday night Prime Time.  First time the game has truly been slammed with post launch players.  I'm sure tonight, Saturday, will be the same.  This is what Arena Net is probably looking for and they will make necessary adjustments to the server pops and otherwise to appease this.  Just like every other MMO has done in the past 10+ years.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I tend to see it when there are lots of mobs and/or players in a small area. It's more noticeable on my character because I have an Elementalist. So when I use "Burning Retreat my charcter will jump 2 or 3 times  as the server tries to figure out where I am.

Another huge problem related to this is in WvW. Enemy players do not always show up even when they are right beside me. This tends to happen only in big fights. 20+ vs 20+.