Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of you who are saying PvE being too easy

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Mannish

Its not ridiculous when you cant give any reason as to whats different about it at higher level? I asked 2 solid questions and your answer is to look at youtube? LMAO  Been watching videos of this game for months and now its time to hear from actual players and thats the best you got?

Meh, it gets harder for a few reasons. I'm only 53, but I can already see the difference.

First, they CC a lot more often. More knockdowns/dazes/etc. The enemies are also often ranged instead of mostly melee like in the earlier levels. They also tend to travel in 2s or 3s a lot more often. Many times areas will start having turrets/enemies together as well as having very short respawn timers. It pressures you to keep moving forward. 

Just the amount of veterans and champions alone in comparison to the early levels is a lot different. Add to that that the population is a lot thinner and so zergs are incredibly less common, and you have several reasons why it gets more difficult.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by tank017

The only MMO Ive died a large number of times in recently is TSW..

GW2 u kite,dodge,and youre pretty much win.

TSW you sit in front of an enemy and go through a rotation of skills... its very easy to generalize combat.  Its a different matter to guage difficulty based on that.

Obviously hasn't really played TSW with that comment. 

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by 7star

I;m level 16 and I'm raging now because I can't get past my level 11 storyline quest, Rumors of Trouble. Seriously....very irritated now. I just don't know how to beat it and I am sick of going through the whole freaking dialog everytime I come back from repairing my armor and spending my meager silver.

It's irritating because I just can't go outlevel the quest and come back and do it. I may never be able to do it. It is enraging me actually. I came here make a post to ask for help/tips...

You are doing something wrong, im doing the storyline with pretty much 2 levels over me wihout a single problem.  back to topic, if you make comparisions with other MMOs, yes GW2 is really easy, maybe too easy, at the end is all about a DPS race and the lack of teamwork or a real coordination to do things is what make it easy,.

so easy compared to what? i haven't died this much in a MMO in i can't even remember how long.. since you are so pro how about some lessons?

I know you're being sarcastic but i have come lessons for you. GW1 was hard, GW2 is a joke, all you need to do is dodge, and run around ur target if u are melee, the AI is not very smart, so if u do that, you pretty much wont die, even better, just get ur range weapon, is all about  ¨run and hit¨, i remember killing a group of 8 mobs in a DE just using the AOE autoatk of my warrior Bow and running around them. If u die that much, then u are doing something wrong, is easy like that. 

Wait till you get out of the newbie areas. Better yet, I'd love for you to post a youtube video of you doing that in AC.

Meh,

I'll take the both sides route on this one. I know shocking.

Combat is always dependent on a few things, current level, current gear for that level, and the environment around you.

That being said, if your gear is not subpar, you have little to no people around you (generally when your not near a DE since they get swarmed in seconds), or your in a not safe zone (either lots of mobs in close proximity of each other or some veterans thrown in) the combat can be difficult. Mobs regularly really aren't anything special I'll admit, few that knock down and stun you, knock back, exc. That can pose a threat depending on you class, but ultimately 1 by 1 pulling won't get you killed unless your just plain bad.

Now the real challenge comes in when your fighting groups or veteran mobs (discluding champion since that group oriented only, take you years to kill one by yourself). While against a lot of mobs, you have to dodge these CC abilities and deal damage at the same time. You can kite with a ranged weapon, but later mobs start stacking CC abilities so its not as simple, especially when there is limited room to kite without pulling more mobs.

That being said, my thrill in this game where I have the most fun is out exploring by myself and fighting veterans or large packs of mobs to get some action. I'll do DEs on occasion for quick hearts or items or daily but other than that, I don't like them since they aren't skill based really.

Now I have actually played the first 2 instances. First one we wiped a crapton on trash, and the group kept dying on bosses, but since we had at least 1 alive, we could either rez or just keep the fight going till we walked back. Instances are much harder, small group oriented fights. Much more difficult, but still learning based. Once you got the fight down to a science, it really wasn't super hard, but for slower people, i.e. the other 3 in the group not including my friend, it becomes a downhill battle of bum rush in or not get out of the bad red circles to get knocked down and have to run back all over again.

So basically, yes the game is hard, but only in certain situations and only if you try things to make it harder. Anet isn't going to baby you throu the game, nor is it going to make it challenging enough so that only a select few can do it, but it's you that makes the difficulty, and you that has to learn how to control it and master it.

tl;dr: Sometimes learning comes easy, sometimes it's hard to adapt, either way there is always one step above you can go to try to challenge yourself from where you are currently. I honestly am sick of hearing "well that isn't how I like to play and progress my character, and so they should cater to me and my needs rather than giving me opportunities to change it myself." Spoiled gamers will be spoiled I guess.

Just my experience in this.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by colddog04

Its not ridiculous when you cant give any reason as to whats different about it at higher level? I asked 2 solid questions and your answer is to look at youtube? LMAO  Been watching videos of this game for months and now its time to hear from actual players and thats the best you got?

Meh, it gets harder for a few reasons. I'm only 53, but I can already see the difference.

First, they CC a lot more often. More knockdowns/dazes/etc. The enemies are also often ranged instead of mostly melee like in the earlier levels. They also tend to travel in 2s or 3s a lot more often. Many times areas will start having turrets/enemies together as well as having very short respawn timers. It pressures you to keep moving forward. 

Just the amount of veterans and champions alone in comparison to the early levels is a lot different. Add to that that the population is a lot thinner and so zergs are incredibly less common, and you have several reasons why it gets more difficult.

not to mention you see npcs helping eachother out, dodging away from aoes, moving a lot more.. ect..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I;m level 16 and I'm raging now because I can't get past my level 11 storyline quest, Rumors of Trouble. Seriously....very irritated now. I just don't know how to beat it and I am sick of going through the whole freaking dialog everytime I come back from repairing my armor and spending my meager silver.

It's irritating because I just can't go outlevel the quest and come back and do it. I may never be able to do it. It is enraging me actually. I came here make a post to ask for help/tips...

You are doing something wrong, im doing the storyline with pretty much 2 levels over me wihout a single problem.  back to topic, if you make comparisions with other MMOs, yes GW2 is really easy, maybe too easy, at the end is all about a DPS race and the lack of teamwork or a real coordination to do things is what make it easy,.

so easy compared to what? i haven't died this much in a MMO in i can't even remember how long.. since you are so pro how about some lessons?

I know you're being sarcastic but i have come lessons for you. GW1 was hard, GW2 is a joke, all you need to do is dodge, and run around ur target if u are melee, the AI is not very smart, so if u do that, you pretty much wont die, even better, just get ur range weapon, is all about  ¨run and hit¨, i remember killing a group of 8 mobs in a DE just using the AOE autoatk of my warrior Bow and running around them. If u die that much, then u are doing something wrong, is easy like that. 

Wait till you get out of the newbie areas. Better yet, I'd love for you to post a youtube video of you doing that in AC.

How does it change? Whats different about it? Please post video and show me.

you can look it up on youtube not hard to find.. but basically you are saying because combat is easy early on its easy throughout the entire game? seems like a pretty ridiculous assessment to me.

Mobs gain CC, mobs gain awareness, mobs tend to be closer together, mobs call out to close mobs to come swarm you, mobs hit harder if you don't spec defensive, mobs give more dodge oriented skills that gimp you if you decide to stand there or even if you just try to dance around it.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by colddog04

First of all thanks for your input because this is the kind of info I was looking for. But, does the mob AI get harder or do they just start throwing more mobs at you? Like I said I have died alot fighting groups but single mobs are a piece of cake.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by eggy08

Meh,

Combat is always dependent on a few things, current level, current gear for that level, and the environment around you.

That being said, if your gear is not subpar, you have little to no people around you (generally when your not near a DE since they get swarmed in seconds), or your in a not safe zone (either lots of mobs in close proximity of each other or some veterans thrown in) the combat can be difficult. Mobs regularly really aren't anything special I'll admit, few that knock down and stun you, knock back, exc. That can pose a threat depending on you class, but ultimately 1 by 1 pulling won't get you killed unless your just plain bad.

Now the real challenge comes in when your fighting groups or veteran mobs (discluding champion since that group oriented only, take you years to kill one by yourself). While against a lot of mobs, you have to dodge these CC abilities and deal damage at the same time. You can kite with a ranged weapon, but later mobs start stacking CC abilities so its not as simple, especially when there is limited room to kite without pulling more mobs.

That being said, my thrill in this game where I have the most fun is out exploring by myself and fighting veterans or large packs of mobs to get some action. I'll do DEs on occasion for quick hearts or items or daily but other than that, I don't like them since they aren't skill based really.

Now I have actually played the first 2 instances. First one we wiped a crapton on trash, and the group kept dying on bosses, but since we had at least 1 alive, we could either rez or just keep the fight going till we walked back. Instances are much harder, small group oriented fights. Much more difficult, but still learning based. Once you got the fight down to a science, it really wasn't super hard, but for slower people, i.e. the other 3 in the group not including my friend, it becomes a downhill battle of bum rush in or not get out of the bad red circles to get knocked down and have to run back all over again.

So basically, yes the game is hard, but only in certain situations and only if you try things to make it harder. Anet isn't going to baby you throu the game, nor is it going to make it challenging enough so that only a select few can do it, but it's you that makes the difficulty, and you that has to learn how to control it and master it.

tl;dr: Sometimes learning comes easy, sometimes it's hard to adapt, either way there is always one step above you can go to try to challenge yourself from where you are currently. I honestly am sick of hearing "well that isn't how I like to play and progress my character, and so they should cater to me and my needs rather than giving me opportunities to change it myself." Spoiled gamers will be spoiled I guess.

This pretty much answers all my questions. Thx

Meh,

This pretty much answers all my questions. Thx

NP.

People tend to overlook this side of GW2 only because they love to follow the zerg and get levels fast. Which is fine... if you want to miss out on generally having fun in a game. I like spamming aoe in the middle of a DE then spamming the F key to pick up all my fat loots like the rest, but after a while it just gets tedious.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

Doing Cad Manor explorable, my god.....

AC Explorable is still pretty hard, especially the meta-events before the final boss fight.  Managed to complete Ghost Eater and Colossus paths, and they were by no means a cake walk.    Oh and just because you dodge a telegraphed move doesn't mean you're out of thet woodwork, Lt. Kholer or w/e his name is still hits like a truck when he does his leap strike thing.   Some of the harder filler mobs have a Veteran or  two that have the stacking buff that ignores CCs, forget what its called. 

Originally posted by Serin101

AC Explorable is still pretty hard, especially the meta-events before the final boss fight.  Managed to complete Ghost Eater and Colossus paths, and they were by no means a cake walk.    Oh and just because you dodge a telegraphed move doesn't mean you're out of thet woodwork, Lt. Kholer or w/e his name is still hits like a truck when he does his leap strike thing.   Some of the harder filler mobs have a Veteran or  two that have the stacking buff that ignores CCs, forget what its called. 

Unstoppable.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103

Unstoppable.

Yeah, that buff is something you have to look out for when doing any dungeon.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Unstoppable.

Haha! I did a few explorable runs of CM.

I still remember the frustration of trying to break through that hallway of traps, with a few snipers & bomb spammers at the end (who did extra critical damage to moving targets). We managed to clear it, but my god was that painful. And just passed those was a room full of 30 elite enemies, lol.

Perhaps the biggest irony of this whole discussion is that many of the people complaining about PvE being 'too easy' have never done any of the challenging content, and are still just going through the game in a zerg. What they don't realize is that the difficulty is actually being taken on by everyone else, or diluted. So it's not that the content isn't challenging, it's that other people are taking on the challenge for them.

It's like w/ dark souls. I don't think anyone would claim that game is 'too easy'. However as soon as you invite a friend to come help, if he's any good the game becomes trivial. This doesn't mean the game is easy, it means you are skipping the challenge. Almost every game with multiplayer has this phenomena.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    man i cant wait for the it's easy crowd to get to orr. stepped in there earlier today, DE's failing left and right, zergs getting owned, and i didnt even see a boss
  • Gunned813Gunned813 Member Posts: 31

ITT: Lowbies who haven't been to Straits.

Look forward to seeing you all moaning about I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE WAYPOINTS /WRISTS, as has been going on for the past 48 hours.

Also, go do the open map ungeons solo, and then get back to me about how easy they are. Not the instanced ones, the actual open world dungeons in various zones.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

You should know hikaru trying to start ish, just add him to your list, he does it in almost every single thread regarding to GW2 gameplay. "Oh but it's the truth."  yada yada B/S

Game is obviousely harder than most MMO's [all around] rather than content being [extremely] trivial however let's keep pretending it's really easy to do on the internet any way, personnally I don't do that ish, but I'm about to go out my way and say the pve is so easy that I can solo Shatterer by myself, all I have to do is dodge, kite, and press the D key, it's easy!!!!

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by TyvolusNext
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Syno23

You said it in SW:TOR you said it on all other MMOs that came out. That you weren't getting a challenge. Well, that time has come and gone. Because in GW2 if you're lvl 80 you'll get scaled down for all the lower level dungeons and yes they're plenty of challenging. Well you say that storymode is easy. Then try explorable mode then you'll never say anyhing about easy again.

You say Dynamic Events are Hearts are too easy. Well once again, you get scaled down and you can always go to a higher level zone to level for the challenge.

Really a no brainer.

IM not really sure this is peoples idea of challenging PvE encounters "autoscaling" but sure whatever floats your boat.

the whole autoscaling bit for Pve And I heard it exists in pvp as well is why I dont want to play the game.  If I am max level I dont want to be minimized and scaled down if I walk in a low level area.  and if I earned a high level and the appropriate gear I should not be fighting someone who had his level/stats/gear raised, simply so as to make things fair.  war is never fair.

I love the idea that ANet put the level scaling to the content of this game. However if you have a higher level and gears walk to the lower level zone you are just sidekicked down to the appropriate level, but you still have a little bit overpower on top of the mobs in lower level zone. It's not make you too overpower that you just cast a one shot skill and wipe all the entire zone. Another Pros of this feaure is that, in the future patch, ANET can also put the new contents in the lower level zones. For the other MMOs, when the time pass by, a lot players get to the higher level then they will just left lower level zones as a deserted area. But for GW2, players can have a fun time and little bit challenging when they travel to lower level zone, making the area not too desolate.

But I think after playing this game, I realized that "LEVELING IS NOT THE MAIN PART OF THIS GAME" For GW2 I'm enjoy for gain more achievement rather than gain more exp.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

You know nothing Jon Snow. The PvE in this game is no joke. 

~Lvl. 80 Thief 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by amadeuz

You said it in SW:TOR you said it on all other MMOs that came out. That you weren't getting a challenge. Well, that time has come and gone. Because in GW2 if you're lvl 80 you'll get scaled down for all the lower level dungeons and yes they're plenty of challenging. Well you say that storymode is easy. Then try explorable mode then you'll never say anyhing about easy again.

You say Dynamic Events are Hearts are too easy. Well once again, you get scaled down and you can always go to a higher level zone to level for the challenge.

Really a no brainer.

IM not really sure this is peoples idea of challenging PvE encounters "autoscaling" but sure whatever floats your boat.

the whole autoscaling bit for Pve And I heard it exists in pvp as well is why I dont want to play the game.  If I am max level I dont want to be minimized and scaled down if I walk in a low level area.  and if I earned a high level and the appropriate gear I should not be fighting someone who had his level/stats/gear raised, simply so as to make things fair.  war is never fair.

I love the idea that ANet put the level scaling to the content of this game. However if you have a higher level and gears walk to the lower level zone you are just sidekicked down to the appropriate level, but you still have a little bit overpower on top of the mobs in lower level zone. It's not make you too overpower that you just cast a one shot skill and wipe all the entire zone. Another Pros of this feaure is that, in the future patch, ANET can also put the new contents in the lower level zones. For the other MMOs, when the time pass by, a lot players get to the higher level then they will just left lower level zones as a deserted area. But for GW2, players can have a fun time and little bit challenging when they travel to lower level zone, making the area not too desolate.

But I think after playing this game, I realized that "LEVELING IS NOT THE MAIN PART OF THIS GAME" For GW2 I'm enjoy for gain more achievement rather than gain more exp.

Yeah, which makes me sad that they didn't implement the scaling upwards when going to higher level zones, like they intended to. Would have really made the PvE far more enjoyable for me.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Considering the PVE outside the instances (that's all i've done until now) GW2 is sure the most difficult PVE themepark until now.

Sure the hearts are quite easy as you can do them at your pace and they are very relaxed (like classic quests) but there are some DE that are extremely difficult.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

Really a no brainer.

Actualy even when your scaled down your gear will still be awesome and the mobs are easier to kill and in pvp it's the same better gear gives an advantage, not a huge one but it is noticable

• Gunned813Gunned813 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD

Really a no brainer.

Actualy even when your scaled down your gear will still be awesome and the mobs are easier to kill and in pvp it's the same better gear gives an advantage, not a huge one but it is noticable

I dunno. I'm 80 and I still can't handle the Kessex Hill's (or is it Gendarren?) open world dungeon in my yellow gear solo.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    So all the content is too easy and we have to impose challenges on ourselves by going to areas not meant for our level?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    So all the content is too easy and we have to impose challenges on ourselves by going to areas not meant for our level?

not at all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Really a no brainer.

I kind of disagree. The game is not easy, thats a fact, but scaled down player is much more powerful and most of the events are easy. I think they should implement easy and Hard mode scaling, for people who want challenge.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Great feedback guys. And to answer your question about getting past level 11. Go to different starter zones in lion's gate and you'll get past 11 and be too high a lvl for your zone.