Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG to end all MMORPGs.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Fratmam

lol wow.. i know everyone has opinions but yea...

It's pretty easy to back up my statement. Show be one F2P or B2P mmo that's good and has people logging in for 6 months or year after release?

Gw1?

GW1 is a lobby game/co-op instance grinder. I wouldn't consider it an mmo. I also wouldn't consider it good.

millions say otherwise so guess you aren't the end all of whats good and not good

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

It's pretty easy to back up my statement. Show be one F2P or B2P mmo that's good and has people logging in for 6 months or year after release?

Gw1?

GW1 is a lobby game/co-op instance grinder. I wouldn't consider it an mmo. I also wouldn't consider it good.

To each their own.  It's nice that some people can like a game and play it for years without the approval of a random forum poster whether it's free, buy or sub.  I have no regrets subbing WoW for years as I enjoyed it up through WotLK and I have no regrets buying GW2 as I also enjoy it. 

I've got a feeling there will be plenty of people playing GW2 for a good long time.  I know I will if only to play the various races for their stories.   That's what RPG's were originally all about.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by eAzydaman
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

For PVP lovers this is the best thing since sliced bread. Too me sPVP is as addicting as counterstrike was for me back in the day. And WvWvW is icing on the cake. If you don't care for PVP all that much I can understand your standpoint.

Well, i like PVP too (don't love it, YET), but i don't find GW2 the end all mmo for pvp either.

I liked SPVP, but honestly, as i pointed out the lobby thing, i play mmorpgs for the immersion, community, virtual world, etc, etc, so being removed from the world, tranfered to a lobby to play meaningless e-sports arena/bg pvp is not something i'd say is very impressive. Not because it sucks (i said i liked it), but because if i wanted to play that type of game, i'd play FPS, MOBA, and literally, any other type of multiplayer game.

As far as WVW, these are my impressions http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5240211#5240211

If you feel it's the "best thing since sliced bread", more power to you aswell my friend. Enjoy yourself. But, while i really did enjoy both WVW and SPVP, i wasn't blown away by them either.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by bliss14

Gw1?

To each their own.  It's nice that some people can like a game and play it for years without the approval of a random forum poster whether it's free, buy or sub.  I have no regrets subbing WoW for years as I enjoyed it up through WotLK and I have no regrets buying GW2 as I also enjoy it. 

I've got a feeling there will be plenty of people playing GW2 for a good long time.  I know I will if only to play the various races for their stories.   That's what RPG's were originally all about.

My original point was that any great mmo would launch with a monthly fee because companies like money. You can have a sub fee and cash shop like WoW currently has and be wildly profitable.

The fact that GW2 doesn't have a subscription is an admission by the devs that it's not quite up to the level of games like WoW or EvE in terms long term play. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just pointing out that 6 months or a year from now there isn't gonna be much reason for you to log in, and because Arenanet isn't charging you money each month, they don't have to give you one either.

Gw1?

My original point was that any great mmo would launch with a monthly fee because companies like money. You can have a sub fee and cash shop like WoW currently has and be wildly profitable.

The fact that GW2 doesn't have a subscription is an admission by the devs that it's not quite up to the level of games like WoW or EvE in terms long term play. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just pointing out that 6 months or a year from now there isn't gonna be much reason for you to log in, and because Arenanet isn't charging you money each month, they don't have to give you one either.

i'd read this http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

of course they want to make money but that's not why everyone does everything.. i know its hard to believe but some people actually like their jobs and want to put out a great product.. not talking about just GW2 but just in general

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

It is a decent game but far, FAR from being a savior of anything or the doom of anything else.

It's just a fun MMO that will hopefully get even more fun as time goes by.

I've kept silent on the issue because it seemed pointless to get into it, but I must say that I completely fail to understand the behavior of both extremes - be they haters of fanboys.

I mean...it's a game. It's supposed to be fun, if you like it, you play it. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to buy it. 

You bought it and you don't like it? Oh well, happens to anyone. Mutter to yourself "Well that was a crappy misjudgement." and move on. No reason to go on ranting about how WoW or this game or that game are the worst thing that has happened to humanity in recorded history.

Neither do I understand the prophetic statements that the "fanboys" seem to like to throw around.

Long story short, I'm not defending or attacking anyone - I simply do not understand why people get so worked up about such things.

It's a game.

You like it - play it.

You don't like it - don't play it.

• varriusvarrius Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

"Will Guild Wars 2 pass the Trial by Fire?

I am beginning to see how this game isn't as revolutionary as everyone thinks.    Everyone is excited about having a new game, something different.   But as I look at these features, I feel as though they will not pass the test, they are merely 'new' things in a game but are not the proper revolutionary changes we need, to keep interest.

Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out, but..   I think we will soon see what I like to call "Launch-Fever" wear off.  

As this reality becomes more apparent and the medication that is boredom wears on your "launch-fever" we will all see that Guild Wars 2 is really falling very, very short of our expectation."

You've changed your tune OP.

Changing my mind is trolling?   If I change my opinion at all, its a troll?   Thats a bit absurd.

Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

It is a decent game but far, FAR from being a savior of anything or the doom of anything else.

It's just a fun MMO that will hopefully get even more fun as time goes by.

I've kept silent on the issue because it seemed pointless to get into it, but I must say that I completely fail to understand the behavior of both extremes - be they haters of fanboys.

I mean...it's a game. It's supposed to be fun, if you like it, you play it. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to buy it. 

You bought it and you don't like it? Oh well, happens to anyone. Mutter to yourself "Well that was a crappy misjudgement." and move on. No reason to go on ranting about how WoW or this game or that game are the worst thing that has happened to humanity in recorded history.

Neither do I understand the prophetic statements that the "fanboys" seem to like to throw around.

Long story short, I'm not defending or attacking anyone - I simply do not understand why people get so worked up about such things.

It's a game.

You like it - play it.

You don't like it - don't play it.

this is mmorpg.com those three phrases might as well be ancient greek

Please do not derail this thread.   It isn't a place to argue or criticize anyone.   I simply stated my opinion and the topic should be based around that, thank you.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

Oh I agree a company like Blizzard would never release a B2P.   Not necessarily about the quality of the game but based upon existing subscriber base.  Not talking existing subscribers but total all time subscribers over the years WoW has been around let's just spitball and say there were 15 million.    That could be way low for all I know.  The person that played from 2004 to 2006 and liked it but just moved on or the person that played for 6 years, 7, or 1.   All of those people have memories of WoW in one shape or form and in hindsight I bet alot of them have fond memories even if they didn't always have the greatest time.  Nostalgia, all that.

Now put the huge machine they have in place behind a new project like Titan if that is what it really is called.  Many of those people who had played WoW in the past along with alot of other newer casual games will give it a shot for the box price along with I would imagine at least 3 months sub.  Right there, money made back and profit besides.  All because it's Blizzard.

Now take a company like Arenanet who doesn't have this huge existing base.  They have a respectable base from GW1 but nothing like the millions upon millions Blizz does.  They do have to put the game out there in a way that will generate the most sales.   I would imagine they received a ton more orders from people that might have been on the fence about it if it had been a subscription based game just because they know they don't have to worry about a monthly sub.  They can try it and leave, try it to the endgame and leave or stay around for years if they want.

Succinctly, I think arenanet is doing a reasonable thing with the product they're putting forth.  They're pulling in many people who might not have bought it and in 6 or 9 months or a year when their next box comes out to add on alot of the people playing now will be buying it. 

They are still making oodles of cash and that's really all that matters for a company.

edit:  sorry it's so long and i'm sure most people will skip my post but i'm going on vacation tomorrow fishing and i'm kicking it off with a decent amount of frosty beverages tonight.  :)

Originally posted by varrius
    Please do not derail this thread.   It isn't a place to argue or criticize anyone.   I simply stated my opinion and the topic should be based around that, thank you.

doesn't really matter what you say good or bad it will end up a bitch fest back and forth.. i made this compilation in my sig and just get called a rabid fanboi because of it.. you just need to use the block feature and ignore some people.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Gw1?

Sorry, but this made me laugh IRL. People still played GW1 up until now, with no sub, and that wasnt even a full MMO with all the features GW2 offers, which is  a lot more than most subscription games do. As one of the guys above me posted, read that link he has about Anet & success.

Theres a difference between being succesful, and being greedy / milking your customers for every cent you can because you know you have a product they want. Blizzard took the award on the latter long ago, becaus ethey already had the massive following that was willing to dealw ith it. Many others tried to repeat the same... and where are they now?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

I am beginning to see how this game isn't as revolutionary as everyone thinks.    Everyone is excited about having a new game, something different.   But as I look at these features, I feel as though they will not pass the test, they are merely 'new' things in a game but are not the proper revolutionary changes we need, to keep interest.

Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out, but..   I think we will soon see what I like to call "Launch-Fever" wear off.  

As this reality becomes more apparent and the medication that is boredom wears on your "launch-fever" we will all see that Guild Wars 2 is really falling very, very short of our expectation."

Changing my mind is trolling?   If I change my opinion at all, its a troll?   Thats a bit absurd.

In politics they call this "flip-flopping" and the press crucifies them for doing it.

Expect no better treatment here.

Besides, I'm starting to think I fell for it it again.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

I for one, am really hoping it has enough staying power to keep me happy till Archage comes out.  And if its fun up till that release and it sucks, ill keep playing GW2. 

There just games after all...

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

Originally posted by Kyleran

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

In politics they call this "flip-flopping" and the press crucifies them for doing it.

Expect no better treatment here.

Besides, I'm starting to think I fell for it it again.

LOL @ you thinking forum-posting about MMORPGs is related to politics.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by Hardanger
    Yeah, ok.  Sure.  

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Theres a difference between being succesful, and being greedy / milking your customers for every cent you can because you know you have a product they want. Blizzard took the award on the latter long ago, becaus ethey already had the massive following that was willing to dealw ith it. Many others tried to repeat the same... and where are they now?

You're agreeing with me. Blizzard is greedy because they have a great game people want (u mad?) so they have the ability to milk their customers. Arenanet can't be as greedy because their game isn't offering as much as WoW, so they're settling for people just buying the box and maybe a cash shop item every once and awhile. What is so controversial about that statement? Arenanet is not some special company that loves their playerbase more than other developers. If they could get away with charging you more money they would.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

You're agreeing with me. Blizzard is greedy because they have a great game people want (u mad?) so they have the ability to milk their customers. Arenanet can't be as greedy because their game isn't offering as much as WoW, so they're settling for people just buying the box and maybe a cash shop item every once and awhile. What is so controversial about that statement? Arenanet is not some special company that loves their playerbase more than other developers. If they could get away with charging you more money they would.

So many people are naive enough to think that is false.

I believe that offering a product without a subscription fee will allow for a larger number of copies to be sold - due to that fact, it entices people.

Further, it is an excuse to keep the product at $59.99 and all expansions.   If they sell more copies than a traditional P2P MMO, which asks for CC information -a huge turnoff to most- it will likely translate to more profit, especially with the cash shop, than paid expansions of equivalent value.

You're misinterpreting the business model here.  

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

Just curious... what caused you to change your mind?

Originally posted by Stx11

OP is trolling.  

Quoted from yesterday -

Just curious... what caused you to change your mind?

I hadn't played the game yet, which is apparent in the statements I was making.   I was only reviewing the features.   Now that I have played it, I admit it was an ignorant assessment.   I apologize for that misconception.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Same song different dance.
  • GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Yet people wonder where all the "MMO messiah" comments come from... it's only "haters" who say things along those lines...

*Points at thread title*

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Zekiah

In three months everyone will be off chasing the next "savior" and the next one to "end all MMORPGs".

History is a difficult thing to learn from if you're not paying attention.

WoW was a savior for a while to many.   Guild Wars 2 is along those lines.   For example, when is the last time you've heard of a game banning sales, due to too many players? 

Only on games that released with too few servers because they don't see the population being sustainable. Or is 1 Million just crazy OMG too many for a MMO?

You must be a hater. (kidding haha, i seen yours and distopia's conversation).

But seriously, 1 mill was pre-purchases. PRE purchases. So that's 1 mil by launch day, who else bought it after. not trying to go total rabid fanboi on you, but if the company sold 1 mil by launch, and people are *claiming* stores are sold out in the UK, as well as some palces in the US. Another million isn't far fetched.

Not saying 2 million is zomg a ton of people, but it is a lot of people.

I think they need to make new servers personally, otherwise que times will go up farther and farther.

1 mil before launch day.  Prepurchase doesnt include pre orders.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Post self editied as it took posters quote completely out of context.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "