Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Paragon Studios and City of Heroes Closing

Comments

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

While I am not playing CoH since before the mission architect. I had great times there. I hope those who like superhero mmos will migrate to one of the other 2(1 more in the future). 

My respect to CoH team, best luck in their future endeavors

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well sad to see it go as I had some fun there a few years ago. Sadly though this was a game that badly needed an updated sequel quite some time ago and never got one. Instead it just got put on the questionable life support of free to play with cosmetic cash shop and left to languish.

In this new era where there is just less and less of the MMO Customer Pie to go around as the MMO market is oversaturated, its seems FTP is no longer guaranteed survival for bad or outdated games. As more of the old games go, and yes there will be more, hopefully game developers will figure out that reinvigorating a game by making it funner to play is a far better survival tactic than just trying to keep its customer base entertained by selling them pointless shinny crap.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Well sad to see it go as I had some fun there a few years ago. Sadly though this was a game that badly needed an updated sequel quite some time ago and never got one. Instead it just got put on the questionable life support of free to play with cosmetic cash shop and left to languish.

In this new era where there is just less and less of the MMO Customer Pie to go around as the MMO market is oversaturated, its seems FTP is no longer guaranteed survival for bad or outdated games. As more of the old games go, and yes there will be more, hopefully game developers will figure out that reinvigorating a game by making it funner to play is a far better survival tactic than just trying to keep its customer base entertained by selling them pointless shinny crap.

To be fair, the live development was pretty robust and going in a good direction. 'Languish', to me, means Vanguard. CoH honestly was still getting better.

But yes, a sequel should have happened but it's niche market was so split by other same genre games by the time that would have happened I am not sure how that really would have worked either :/ 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    In one of the interviews someone from NCSoft said they were testing waters of f2p with lineage 2 and CoX for 1 year. After that they were planning to see which was more profitable. It seems CoX lost that race.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Much more mmorpg's will meet this end in next 1-2 years.

Western mmorpg market is tremeduesly oversaturated and playerbase is actually decreasing.

Some of first f2p conversion were astounding success because they were fist western mmorgg or / and AAA ones that did that.

Additionally playerbase of p2p titles were in big part not shared with playerbase of f2p asian imported titles.

With dwindling playerbase and way too many titles (not to mention economy crisis and rising uneployment in many countries) titles have to fall. 

Mmorpg is niche and will be niche in west.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Teala
    If this proves anything, it proves that even decent free to play games can meet with the chopping block, and no game is immune.

I think it shows that bean counters are villains and can't be trusted.  

They could've put it on life support and probably made a decent return on it that way, but that is apparantly not the NCSoft way.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247
    First Auto-assault and now this. You break my heart NCsoft.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Next up? Swtor.
  • norman728norman728 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    makes me wonder what Gifts they'll give away when the final day comes.  I guild wars and COH gifts when the shut down Dungeon runners.
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Why does Garret wait to say nice things about you untill the day he fires you !
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

I have a fondness for City of Heroes I spent a few months in it back in 2006 . Its sad to see it go .It is to my mind the only really decent superhero mmo even now . Still 8 years is a good run .  

The problem for free to play is that theres so many games on the market that now using the buisness model . Not all can survive . I actually started up a thread this afternoon arguing that The Elder Scrolls Online should be buy to play because developers seem to be of the mentality that make a subscription based game , get a few box sales and if it underperforms make it free to play and that the market could only support a finite number of free to play games .

Buy to play is the future and developers like Betheda will ignore it at their peril  . This is the first of many that will close down I think . I would even warn the likes of Bioware to think again about a free to play converstion in favour of trying to sell the game even now as a buy to play title with micro payments for downloadable content and expansions .

We mmo fans are waking up to the fact that single player games have always been buy to play so why should nt mmos be the same .

The subscription based model was never set in stone . Even though the more dogmatic amongst us thought it was .

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Wait.....a so-called "free to play" game is closing. HOW CAN THIS BE??? I thought all so-called f2p games were just the way to go. You don't suppose that being "FREE" meant that too many people weren't spending any money do you? Couldn't be. We all know that companies have those money trees that just let the devs go pull off $100 bills for whatever they need.

Serioulsy though, I think that more and more so-called f2p games willl follow suit because you just can't make money if everyone plays for free. Imagine that!

Let's party like it is 1863!

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    When the best part of your game is designing a look for your character you know its only a matter of time for this to happen.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    @Reas ,

Yes I like gw2 but if you read my other posts you would see that I see things differently then your fanboy comment you made, which leaves alot of room for improvement!

I have played coh since beta as well and even tried the f2p option, see what I did there Reas? I said Option , means you still had the OPTION of subbing , see ya keep those types of comments to yourself, because it looks bad.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by roo67

I have a fondness for City of Heroes I spent a few months in it back in 2006 . Its sad to see it go .It is to my mind the only really decent superhero mmo even now . Still 8 years is a good run .  

The problem for free to play is that theres so many games on the market that now using the buisness model . Not all can survive . I actually started up a thread this afternoon arguing that The Elder Scrolls Online should be buy to play because developers seem to be of the mentality that make a subscription based game , get a few box sales and if it underperforms make it free to play and that the market could only support a finite number of free to play games .

Buy to play is the future and developers like Betheda will ignore it at their peril  . This is the first of many that will close down I think . I would even warn the likes of Bioware to think again about a free to play converstion in favour of trying to sell the game even now as a buy to play title with micro payments for downloadable content and expansions .

We mmo fans are waking up to the fact that single player games have always been buy to play so why should nt mmos be the same .

The subscription based model was never set in stone . Even though the more dogmatic amongst us thought it was .

I thought it was Zenimax who was making Elder Scrolls Online?

• spookymiaspookymia Member UncommonPosts: 57
    This is sad news indeed. My first MMO which I played for 4 years. I have many fond memories from this game.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    @ tangetpoint I agree with you, and this is the first time that I made a comment like the one you quoted me on ( sorry iPhone posting lol ) but playing gw2 it feels like a sub game and hence why I made a comment like that.
    I have played every single game you mentioned and then some, I played Everquest for 11 years or more and spent a fortune on sub fees alone , but when a high quality game comes out voiding the fee expect to see many companies copying the same thing , creating a mmorpg from the ground up on a b2p model hell we are seeing it with planetside 2 and some other mmo projects coming out In the near future that will adopt a hybrid or f2p b2p models this is the growing trend and sad that it is, it's going to happen, nothing you or I can say will change that, so for the rest of you leave the idiotic fanboy crap comments at the door and respond with constructive remarks and not the moronic ones.

Thank you
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Sad News ;(

I was reading that PW wouldnt renew the engine with NCsoft is what caused this.  They wanted to get rid of CoX as competition for CO.  I read this on the interwebz so take that with a grain of salt.

Still very sad ;(.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I guess this means the F2P model isn't the golden ticket that everyone thinks it is.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Reas43
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Sorry to see it go but when you have games like gw2 these sub based games are in trouble, my guess is that future mmorpgs will follow in gw2 footsteps

Sorry to harsh your moment of GW2 fanboy gloat but, CoH was F2P.

You're a shining example for your peers.

I had a plant die in the back yard on the SAME day GW2 launched, so what are we to think? That the epicness of W2 was not somehow responsible for this? I could sight many other examples of the effect GW2 is having in gaming and in our everyday lifes but I think I have proved my point.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

We are starting to see the collapse.. it has little to do with payment model.. The genre is flooded.. Many new comers from the WoW era have come, seen and conquered already and most are simply moving on..

To be quite honest, I don't see any new north american mmo sustaining itself for more than a year due to be released in the next few years while the genre cleans itself up..

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    NCSoft does not fuck around.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by roo67

I thought it was Zenimax who was making Elder Scrolls Online?

looked it up on the TESO website

© 2011 Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company.

Seems like we are both correct .

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

I miss Auto Assault.

It was one of the most unique games I've ever played.

These constant shutdowns show proof that the economy is still screwed.  It's been over (around?) 4 years since the crash and things are still pretty bad.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Gruug

Wait.....a so-called "free to play" game is closing. HOW CAN THIS BE??? I thought all so-called f2p games were just the way to go. You don't suppose that being "FREE" meant that too many people weren't spending any money do you? Couldn't be. We all know that companies have those money trees that just let the devs go pull off $100 bills for whatever they need.

Serioulsy though, I think that more and more so-called f2p games willl follow suit because you just can't make money if everyone plays for free. Imagine that!

Other free to play games have closed their doors in the past.    If the game is not popular and not making enough moneyto justify keeping it open, might as well close it and move on.