Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Paragon Studios and City of Heroes Closing

garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years. These developers are some of the most creative and talented people in the gaming industry. By now, we've all been given this news internally, but to anyone who may be reading this message after the fact; know that your hard work and dedication has not gone unappreciated or unnoticed. To any potential studios looking to grow your team; hire these people. You won't regret it.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You've been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn't have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don't dwell on the "how" or the "why", but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I'll see you in the skies, one last time.

Andy Belford

Community Manager

Paragon Studios. 

Read the full article here. 

:p 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Black Prophecy...City of Heroes...let the cleansing begin.

I loved CoX and played it with the wife for a year or so. Thanks for the memories.

Joined - July 2004

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The "Widowmaker" is shutting down?  Damn.

CoX really was a very good game.  I had a lot of fun with it.  It still seemed to have a lot to offer, so I find this closure a bit surprising, but it happens.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Sorry to see it go but when you have games like gw2 these sub based games are in trouble, my guess is that future mmorpgs will follow in gw2 footsteps
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

My first and favorite MMO franchise.

Sad to see it go.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    What's the background on this?  Were they Indie and bought up by NCSoft?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Sorry to see it go but when you have games like gw2 these sub based games are in trouble, my guess is that future mmorpgs will follow in gw2 footsteps

Sorry to harsh your moment of GW2 fanboy gloat but, CoH was F2P.

You're a shining example for your peers.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I got a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw this.

Good bye my friend thank you for the memories.  I loved you and spent many an hour fooling around with twisted AT styles.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I always liked how users on MMORPG always find out news first and get multiple many page threads on the topic and then MMORPG finally posts a brand new thread about the news that has been going on for 4-5 hours.

Why not just link to one of the existing threads for news so there aren't like 10 threads on the same topic?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

NCSoft makes SOE look like a great studio.  They bail on anything.  

This pretty much nails it for me to avoid playing any of their games ever.  You never know when they will pull the plug.

• RattusRattus Member UncommonPosts: 31
    So long City of Heroes. I had a great time at launch and for a few months anyhow. That was the year I signed up here and in fact my profile is named after my Main from CoH.

...how time flies.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

This is sad news, indeed. I think a rendition of Terry Jacks' song Seasons in the Sun is in order.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• diceman82diceman82 Member Posts: 8

Well they went F2P in a effort to stop NC closure is my guess. Too bad the F2P model was absolute shit. No Raiding, can't join supergroups, region restricted, cannot use the regional chat and severe income/costume limitations.

It takes almost  100$ to get most of the basic stufff that the original subscribers have, a price point not worth messing with for a game that old.

As for ozmodan's post...yeah auto assualt left a terrible taste in my mouth back then. Game was barely out 7 months and boom cancelled....

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    [mod edit]

What the hell are you even talking about? They had the game running for multiple years. Age caught up with it and its mechanics have become out dated. Are you still playing the game and subscribing to help keep it aloft? Do not taint one of the early greats with such a disgusting remark.

BOOYAKA!

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126

City of Heroes was my very first MMO and will always hold a special place in my heart. My first hero alt "Virgo" (Mutant Earth Control/Empathy Controller) was a blast to play and introduced me to the world of MMO's.

Even though I don't play CoX as much as I used to, I'm still gonna miss this game once it's gone.  :(

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

This pretty much nails it for me to avoid playing any of their games ever.  You never know when they will pull the plug.

This game had a great run, over 8 years and a F2P change in an attempt to keep profitability.

Now, I know about Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, but this time it clearly wasn't the case of "bail on anything", even though Tabula Rasa was more of a problem with Richard Garriott, which makes Auto Assault the one true title which I will never understand the quick closure.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by EricDanie

This game had a great run, over 8 years and a F2P change in an attempt to keep profitability.

Now, I know about Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa, but this time it clearly wasn't the case of "bail on anything", even though Tabula Rasa was more of a problem with Richard Garriott, which makes Auto Assault the one true title which I will never understand the quick closure.

You forgot "Matrix Online"!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Sad to say i have been waiting for this, the game did not do well enough and NCSoft are known for not fooling around when it comes to money. That being said i will miss this game and i will forever hold it up to what a small studio can do with the proper backing and funding... And no matter what cryptic have become this is still a game that i dare people to take a dump on... Farewell you crazy little game.

Matrix Online was a WB game they bought and tried to save.. it did not do very well.. at all.

This have been a good conversation

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

This game will be missed. This game will also be looked upon as making a tremendous mark on MMORPG history. And lastly, anyone that sets out to develop a new super hero MMO will constantly have this game be compared with theirs for at least another 8 years to come or more.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    There were certain things about this game that were really great especially when it first came out.  It raised the bar for character customization to an amazing level for instance.  It had no staying power for me though, because all the instances were from the same pool of maps and I got tired of going into cave after cave after cave fairly quickly.  Champions suffers from the same problem...
  • DracogeekDracogeek Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Looks like Champions Online and DC Universe are about to get REALLY popular.
  • BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Kaelano1
    Originally posted by EricDanie

You forgot "Matrix Online"!

They closed MXO down after they merged all the servers, were down to one and the load on it was continuously light. Basically there wasn't enough people paying to play for the servers to run and still make a profit, THEN they closed it down. This CoX closure seems a little extreme imo.

As for TR, Richard Garriott was being a typical western artist and NCSoft didn't dig that so they tried to screw him over but he ultimately got it over on stupid NCSoft.

• tutetute Member UncommonPosts: 299

Same here, tawess.  And let me preface what I'm about to say with a "this is not a I told you so thread".  I recognize that 8+ years is a great run for an MMO.  But I want to point out all the posters(mainly in the official CoH forums, not here) that said in the recent year or two that the population was fine, you were wrong, wrong, wrong.  So much for my game lasting a few more years as they vehemently pointed out. 

They drop the news like that out of nowhere, and all they say is that NCSoft is "realigning focus".  CoX was my 1st MMO and it will always hold a special place im my heart. I only stopped playing a few years ago for a few months but have been pretty consistent ever since but it was a good 8 year run of the game with the best teaming system around.  The best part of this whole thing is I get to raise my hand in the air with fingers extended and gently fold only my index, ring and pinky fingers to you, Forum Cartel.  The only reason I'm happy about the game shutting down is that it disperses you all to the wind.

Unfortunately, I agree with other comments (though I don't agree with it emotionally). "No company shuts down something that is very profitable, plain and simple. It means the game was just barely breaking even so estimates were it would be in the red by the end of the year so they're shutting down based on that (a very very typical business move) or the game is already losing money so they're shutting it down. and fu mawds for editing this previously. Based on the abruptness of the announcement, I would guess it was already losing money."  The game just couldn't pull its weight no matter what differing opinions were tossed around in the official forums.  That will teach me to listen to people not employed directly by the studio or publisher.  They didn't know squat.

I disagree with NCSoft's decision and think it was a mistake but life moves on, though for the next few days it will be sadder. :(  Thank you for the 8 years of adventure, Paragon Studios!!!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    If this proves anything, it proves that even decent free to play games can meet with the chopping block, and no game is immune.
  • Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

The more I think about it, the more it looks like this is a result of two things. The first is that NC Soft disclosed a 6 million profit loss for the last quarter. And NC Soft has proven several times that it takes immediate steps when money is the topic. The second issue is that City of Heroes DOES have thousands of people playing it that do so for free as Premium players - and Guild Wars 2 is a one time investment that the vast percentage of them would switch to.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Oh FFS.

First of all, let me point out the obvious: City of Heroes/Villains has been F2P for some time now.

Is this the new trend we're going to see from the rabid GW2 fans? Every time a MMO is changed to F2P or is taken offline, you're going to heap all credit on "GW2 and its revenue model"?

When did the MMO community take a left turn into the intellectual weeds that is "Oblivious-ville"? I'm genuinely curious. I'm not talking about Aeolron here. I'm not even only talking about GW2 fans. I'm talking about this growing portion of the MMO community at large who are convinced that anytime a sub-based MMO goes offline it's automatically "because of its revenue model".

Every single sub-based MMO that has gone off-line has done so because the game failed to maintain enough subscribers to keep it going.

Allow me to also point out another easily verifiable fact: There are still subscription based games running to this day. Final Fantasy XI, FFXIV, DAoC, Rift, Eve Online, AC1 and some others are all still set up on subscriptions. They're doing just fine. Chugging right along. In a couple cases, they've been chugging right along for around a decade. They were doing fine then. They're doing fine now.

Others like EQ1 and 2, Vanguard, LoTRO, DDO and to a lesser degree, Runescape all offer a subscription payment option - and many people do actually prefer it over the F2P/Freemium setup. Crazy thought, I know.

Subscriptions are just as valid an option as they've ever been and are, in fact, far more road-tested and proven than F2P or B2P. F2P and B2P are alternative revenue setups. Not replacements.