Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

amd processors for GW2.

KingzainiKingzaini Member Posts: 39

I'm looking for a better processor to play GW2 with because atm mine is horrible for the game.

I'm currently using the FX-8120(4.1ghz) with a Radeon HD 7870 and 8gb ram yet in wvw I will drop as low as 12fps which shouldnt happen at all with a 7870 OC.

I need a much better AMD processor that will grant me better fps.

Comments

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    are you sure, that this is cpu issue? AMD FX cpu are not the best, but they are ok, keep in mind that if you play in high resolution (full hd), the gpu matters much more then cpu (in high res and high details, there is very little difference between fx-8120 and i5-2500). Maybe try to reinstall the graphic drivers because imo this issue is not related to cpu

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    There is no beter AMD processor for GW2 than what you have already, ... 8150 doesnt count because its 0.1% improvement over your OCed 8120
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I heard elsewhere on these forums that AMD CPU's with ATi (AMD) GPU's make a real bad performance. You could try to update the GPU drivers and hope those have an optimized build already for GW2. I know from nVidia (I know, total different brand...) that the 2 latest beta drivers did make a HUGE improvement for GW2 performance. On my system with X6 1090T BE (no OC) and SLI GTX460 the FPS went from 40 to 55 in the same area's.
  • KingzainiKingzaini Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by jawali
    are you sure, that this is cpu issue? AMD FX cpu are not the best, but they are ok, keep in mind that if you play in high resolution (full hd), the gpu matters much more then cpu (in high res and high details, there is very little difference between fx-8120 and i5-2500). Maybe try to reinstall the graphic drivers because imo this issue is not related to cpu

it's odd I play at 1920x1080 HD with game fully maxed out with about 30-60+ fps but when I do WvW I can stuck ~30 fps no matter the graphics setting

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Kingzaini
    Originally posted by jawali

it's odd I play at 1920x1080 HD with game fully maxed out with about 30-60+ fps but when I do WvW I can stuck ~30 fps no matter the graphics setting

Weird , I have the AMD 8150 chip with a gtx 580 super overclocked and in WvWvW I get like 50-60 frames, sometimes it will drop to 45 but thats on almost max settings.

My MSI GT70 ONC Laptop gets like 96 frames LOL

Intel is better I know , I am learning the hardway , but they are so damn costly!

• encopittencopitt Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I heard elsewhere on these forums that AMD CPU's with ATi (AMD) GPU's make a real bad performance.

Anectdotal...

I run a 965 X4 BE oc'd to 3.8 G, 8 gigs of ram, 2 Crossfired 6870's on three 23" monitors (eyefinity FTW) at 5890X1080 (depending on how I have the bezel correction set) and I get 65-70 FPS in starter areas and ~45 FPS in WvW...

If I drop it to standard single monitor res I get 100+ FPS in open areas and 85-90 in WvW.

My rig (except for my video cards which are ~ a year old) is 3+ years old and runs the game perfect. The only thing I have to turn off is reflections, and turn shadows down to medium...  Everything else is maxed.

Silly intel fanbois...

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

In my opinion, any piece of computer technology is only as good as the number of people that use it.  Hardware specs and benchmarks don't mean much when software developers don't see a need to optimize their products for your software.  That's the rut I fell into with ATI/AMD.

Your best bet is to scrap the MB and the processor entirely and replace it with a Core i5 2500k and a motherboard with an LGA1155 socket.  It's what I plan to do in the next few months.

Going with an AMD processor is actually a smart decision if you do more video editing than gaming or if you prefer console-based first-person shooters over processor intensive MMORPGs or strategy titles.  Seeing as GW2 is still processor dependant, intel is your best bet.

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I have no issues with my 1100T and 6990s . I drop to about 22 FPS in certain situations using 3 monitors .
  • Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I'm running a 2600k @ 4.5GHz and a GTX580 with 16gigs of ram, I run the game in HD and everything is maxed except shadows, I rarely dip below 50fps in WvW haven't even bothered with the beta drivers
  • tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

I'd wait and see what the new Catalyst drivers have to offer in terms of GW2 performance.

NVIDIA bought the exclusive for GW2 to work on SLI, hence AMD hasn't had access to the code before release.

If there was an easy upgraede I'd say go for it, but there's nothing in the AMD line right now that will help you at the moment. You're pretty much at the top.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Rocking Phenom II x4 965 BE with 5850, no fps problems on my end. (although I run balanced setting because I know if I go any higher I know my fps would drop).
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Phenom II X4 965, HD6870 here and the game runs fairly well with most settings on high (shadows on medium). Haven't tried WvW yet, but even in really crowded DE's with lots of effects going I usually hover at about 30 FPS. Indoor areas are smooth as silk (60+), and most outdoor areas are in the 40's, again depending on what's going on.

Only time I've gotten really bad slowdown was in the portal area of Lion's arch, I dropped into the low 20's simply due to the sheer amount of people around.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The game is really CPU  hungry in WvW. Hell it doesn't even max out load on my integrated graphics, llano A8-3850. The more players around, the LESS my GPU gets used.

Maybe with extreme overclocks AMDs do fine but with the performance required AMD CPU's just don't have the per clock performance.

Artificial performance doesn't count... (extra cores)

GW2 won't really see a benefit from more than 4 cores.

I might wait a bit longer to see if they can optimize GW2 first before switching to an Intel CPU.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by jusomdude

The game is really CPU  hungry in WvW. Hell it doesn't even max out load on my integrated graphics, llano A8-3850. The more players around, the LESS my GPU gets used.

Maybe with extreme overclocks AMDs do fine but with the performance required AMD CPU's just don't have the per clock performance.

Artificial performance doesn't count... (extra cores)

GW2 won't really see a benefit from more than 4 cores.

I might wait a bit longer to see if they can optimize GW2 first before switching to an Intel CPU.

I'll give it 3-4 months before I decide as well, I have a 6 core amd (forgot specs, but it's 5 months old) and am not too happy with performance. Really debated just building a whole new PC again but once GW2 came out it wasn't terrible.

I get about 50+ FPS in PvE, around 30-40 in WvW, still havent downloaded newest drivers for my 560 ti though. Will try that. But overall i'm kind of debating switching.

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

running this sweet with a 965 (@3.9/1600) and a 5850 so you should DEF be able to push it fine.

my settings: http://postimage.org/image/qdhdgg22b/

• indrctindrct Member UncommonPosts: 86

I use a FX-4100 and I never get blow 60FPS on all highest quality...

So please understand it has nothing to do with your CPU and 100% to do with you GPU honey boo boo

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by indrct

So please understand it has nothing to do with your CPU and 100% to do with you GPU honey boo boo

I'm calling BS on this and everyone else who says they never go below 60 FPS.   When I hear statements like this, I think people perceive to see smooth gameplay most of the time then proceed to pull numbers out of their ass.  In reality, they're probably getting around 30 FPS and probably aren't even astute enough to notice minor hitches. 

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I'm calling BS on this and everyone else who says they never go below 60 FPS.   When I hear statements like this, I think people perceive to see smooth gameplay most of the time then proceed to pull numbers out of their ass.  In reality, they're probably getting around 30 FPS and probably aren't even astute enough to notice minor hitches. 

I actually have FRAPS up for over 75% of my gameplay so I know what FPS I'm getting.

Nice try though, you know trying to insult me.  Seeing as you clearly have NO idea what you're talking about - and assume because you live in a hole and have a shit PC EVERYONE ELSE must have a shit PC.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I actually have FRAPS up for over 75% of my gameplay so I know what FPS I'm getting.

Nice try though, you know trying to insult me.  Seeing as you clearly have NO idea what you're talking about - and assume because you live in a hole and have a shit PC EVERYONE ELSE must have a shit PC.

This isn't what most tech sites are reporting, GW2 is very CPU heavy.

I am on I5-760 and have no issues; haven't been that impressed with AMD's performance for a few years now.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Lol GW2 is far from GPU dependent.

My GPU of my APU never goes above 70% usage on medium settings. Only this high when few players are around.

With tons of players my GPU goes as low as 20% load.

So I could get a processor that performs 80% better and increase my fps by that much too.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Is Guild Wars 2 multithreaded?
    idk
  • LakytusLakytus Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

I'm sorry but there is no way you are getting 60 fps steady with that cpu at maximum settings, especially considering it's a low end cpu.  I have a i7 2700k at 4.8 ghz and GTX 580 SLI and I go under 60 fps.  Plus Fraps increases the load on your computer, so yeah I'm calling it.