Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A.Net suspending first party digital sales of GW2

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I'm not sure if I'm cynical or if half of you are crazy, but I don't believe for a second they are refusing money to avoid a little lag or pushing new hardware up more quickly (in fact, it's strange to think they can't immediately put up new servers if they want to).

I imagine the most realistic explanation is that retailers put pressure on them, possibly incentivized this move (read:paid Anet).  The most likely culprit is gamestop, as they are publically traded and have the most to lose by having boxed copies sitting around.

• TavvraTavvra 2029 CorrespondentMember Posts: 112
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I'm not sure if I'm cynical or if half of you are crazy, but I don't believe for a second they are refusing money to avoid a little lag or pushing new hardware up more quickly (in fact, it's strange to think they can't immediately put up new servers if they want to).

I imagine the most realistic explanation is that retailers put pressure on them, possibly incentivized this move (read:paid Anet).  The most likely culprit is gamestop, as they are publically traded and have the most to lose by having boxed copies sitting around.

It could be any number of reasons. But when purchased a digital and logged in last night almost all the servers were full.

"Yea, I've been drinking again.."

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by JeroKane

It's a good move!  Better to stall sales a bit to ensure a better experience for current players, then go Blizzard's Diablo III way and piss everyone off with lag and login issues for weeks!

/THIS

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by tavvra

It could be any number of reasons. But when purchased a digital and logged in last night almost all the servers were full.

They are, but anet knows that opening week concurrency isn't the norm, and they've been shoving people into overflow since day one with no major crashes or issues.  They obviously aren't at any sort of critical capacity.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Both the standard and the CE are still in the top 8 sellers right now on Gamestop. All (3) within the top 5 sellers at Amazon right now. Greenman Games is sold out. There is no way in hell that this is a move simply to inflate second/third party sales.

Kudos to ANet for doing the right, and bold thing here until the initial surge of population starts to die down a bit. They are obvuiously trying to avoid the "add 70 servers for launch and then cut back drastically post launch" like so many other popular IP games have suffered. The approach they are taking is the correct one.

Even with overflow servers, there's stilla finite number of players they can handle without increasing capacity... and they know as well as anyone that the initial rush will taper off eventually. If a few more days pass and they are still seeing a crazy influx, I am sure that rasing the capacity of their server farm will be a much wiser decision from a financial standpoint.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    No company leaves money on the table unless they have to, they cannot cope with the problems they are already having its a simple as that so this is the only course of action to ease the pressure.

Which again, is a good move!

Blizzard lost total control of Diablo 3 during the first weeks and just continued on selling more boxes! They didn't give a crap at all!

The login issues and severe lag issues continued for weeks and it wasn't until enough people got fed up and quit, that the presure on their servers dropped and game became actually playable and you being able to login when you wanted to.

Blizzard didn't do jack.... just PR talk and just sat on their butts and waited for the problems to solve itself. All they cared about was box sales and getting the Real Money Auction House online to rake in more cash!

What ArenaNet is doing now, is what Blizzard used to do with World of Warcraft back in 2004, when Blizzard still cared for their customers and weren't the greedy money hungry giant they have become now.

Its not a good move its a forced move they have no choice in the matter. To me thats a red flag that the underlining problems GW2 has are not minor and cannot be fixed quickly. Stopping sales on a B2P game is never a good thing and Blizzard knew that. potential customers will look for reasons why and will see all the problems being posted on the web and that will do even more damage. They should have had a contingency plan in place but of course Anet get away with this when Bioware got hammered for not having a plan b.

What do you want them to do man!! Christ sake!

Go EA/Bioware's way and keep on selling.... opening up massive amounts of servers and then have over 90% of them end up low populated a month later?

And then having to deal with server mergers and have the entire internet and media Doom and Glooming the game that it's dying and a being a huge failure!

They only have two choices here!

1. Opening up more servers and face the above scenario.

or 

2. Stall sales a little and manage the initial rush instead.

What was the point of the overflow servers again?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi
    Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

It's like a shop owner who doesnt want to sell anymore because the till is full...

A company like Anet/NCsoft doesnt have a single server to hand the sales/website data separately?

Are things that bad?

Bad management of assets and priorities IMO.

You completely misunderstood their reasoning for suspending sales. It's not that they can't process them. They simply have so many people playing the game that it's impacting performance and player experience. That's why they temporarily took down their digital sales, to stem the flow a bit in order to ensure the best possible experience for existing customers.

Just to give you an idea, right now it's almost 6am on the east coast of the US and all but 3 US servers are listed as full. The other 3 are listed as high. You cannot create new accounts on full servers. Basically there is no room for new accounts until new servers are made.

They are probably going to launch new servers in a few days, then the digital sales will resume.

You seriously think they would reject customers because the game has too many people playing it?

Do we live in the same world ?

It's a smart marketing move IF that, that tells people: "Hey we got such a good game that people flooded to get it and now we are full and you gotta hold until we can let you buy it..."

I smell horse manure on Anet's part.

They are suspending sales on their site. The game is still available through third party retailers. Gamestop even has digital downloads available.

And yes, I do think that they are rejecting customers temprarily simply due to the fact that demand is higher than what ArenaNet can supply. The point is not just to sell as many copies as possible. Sometimes in business it's just as important to make sure that your customers get the best service possible, even if that requires suspending sales. It's common practice in business.

So yes, we do live in the same world, you're just not familiar with how it works.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

I can see why. The lag that occurs later during the day is annoying as hell. I'm guessing that it's from all the people logging on so yea. Kinda welcome the decision until they can completely handle volume of players. God I wonder how laggy the game will get this weekend D: 

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

well i dont agree that much , because they knew that a huge wave of players  will hit  on release.

And im pretty sure they crunched numbers bout this and deceided to play save , turns out  wrong decision.

And knowing NC Soft  they wont be all happy with this situation.

Now they stall sales ...ppl get unhappy (wich happens quickly with todays mmo target group) , a siituation that isnt good .

No company leaves money on the table unless they have to, they cannot cope with the problems they are already having its a simple as that so this is the only course of action to ease the pressure.

Blizzard lost total control of Diablo 3 during the first weeks and just continued on selling more boxes! They didn't give a crap at all!

The login issues and severe lag issues continued for weeks and it wasn't until enough people got fed up and quit, that the presure on their servers dropped and game became actually playable and you being able to login when you wanted to.

Blizzard didn't do jack.... just PR talk and just sat on their butts and waited for the problems to solve itself. All they cared about was box sales and getting the Real Money Auction House online to rake in more cash!

What ArenaNet is doing now, is what Blizzard used to do with World of Warcraft back in 2004, when Blizzard still cared for their customers and weren't the greedy money hungry giant they have become now.

Its not a good move its a forced move they have no choice in the matter. To me thats a red flag that the underlining problems GW2 has are not minor and cannot be fixed quickly. Stopping sales on a B2P game is never a good thing and Blizzard knew that. potential customers will look for reasons why and will see all the problems being posted on the web and that will do even more damage. They should have had a contingency plan in place but of course Anet get away with this when Bioware got hammered for not having a plan b.

Go EA/Bioware's way and keep on selling.... opening up massive amounts of servers and then have over 90% of them end up low populated a month later?

And then having to deal with server mergers and have the entire internet and media Doom and Glooming the game that it's dying and a being a huge failure!

or 

The overflow servers are not designed to be played on indefinitely. They were suppose to take place of the queue so instead of waiting for 40 minutes staring at the numbers go down, you're actually playing the game. But there are certain gameplay elements associated with home servers, elements that overflow servers do not have. In other words, you're missing out on part of the game by playing on the overflow servers, which would not be a big deal if you're only there for a few minutes.

The problem now is that people are spending way too long on overflow servers simply because the home servers are packed. The home servers themselves are not limitless and can realistically only accomodate a certain amount of players before gameplay and stability begin to deteriorate. In other words, depending on when you log on, it's possible to spend your whole game session playing on the overflow, which is not the intended design.

Hense why ANet is suspending digital sales until they can figure out a solution. Which will probably be more servers.

Originally posted by Pumuckl71

well i dont agree that much , because they knew that a huge wave of players  will hit  on release.

And im pretty sure they crunched numbers bout this and deceided to play save , turns out  wrong decision.

Now they stall sales ...ppl get unhappy (wich happens quickly with todays mmo target group) , a siituation that isnt good .

No, the correct solution would be letting everyone in, overflowing the servers so that no one can play, right?

They didn't want to make the same mistake that other games do at launch. WAR and SWTOR released with a insane number of servers to accomodate demand. Demand that died down in a few weeks, leaving most of the servers completely empty. Then they had to merge servers, breaking appart established communities which is probably one of the most hated things when it comes to MMOs.

As far as numbers go, they had a solid figure for pre-purchase sales, which they accomodated. They had no way to gauge day 1 sales so they underestimated the game's popularity. It happens. Blizzard had to do the same thing with WoW when it launched.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

No, the correct solution would be letting everyone in, overflowing the servers so that no one can play, right?

They didn't want to make the same mistake that other games do at launch. WAR and SWTOR released with a insane number of servers to accomodate demand. Demand that died down in a few weeks, leaving most of the servers completely empty. Then they had to merge servers, breaking appart established communities which is probably one of the most hated things when it comes to MMOs.

As far as numbers go, they had a solid figure for pre-purchase sales, which they accomodated. They had no way to gauge day 1 sales so they underestimated the game's popularity. It happens. Blizzard had to do the same thing with WoW when it launched.

Your first sentence included some sarcasm right away  telling me ive no clue what im talking bout .  Well have your online  victory  if it makes you feel superior . im not gonna debate with you on this matter  any further  because i think you take this whole thing  ...lets say way to personal , the mildest  i can say . Have Fun 

PS: How much time do you have to spend to have a total  of 4k posts on this forum?

or 

The overflow servers are not designed to be played on indefinitely. They were suppose to take place of the queue so instead of waiting for 40 minutes staring at the numbers go down, you're actually playing the game. But there are certain gameplay elements associated with home servers, elements that overflow servers do not have. In other words, you're missing out on part of the game by playing on the overflow servers, which would not be a big deal if you're only there for a few minutes.

The problem now is that people are spending way too long on overflow servers simply because the home servers are packed. The home servers themselves are not limitless and can realistically only accomodate a certain amount of players before gameplay and stability begin to deteriorate. In other words, depending on when you log on, it's possible to spend your whole game session playing on the overflow, which is not the intended design.

Hense why ANet is suspending digital sales until they can figure out a solution. Which will probably be more servers.

Why not open new servers and then offer free transfers if there is room elsewhere?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by I_Return
    they want to make sure that boxes sell at retailers. I would imagine a 100% increase in box sells by tommorrow

Shh! you'll be accused of being part of the tinhat brigade and then carted off to the funny farm.

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

I'm glad I know this. Instead of going out and buying it this weekend I will wait another week or so for the crowds die down. This means by then they will have new servers out hopefully. I don't mind waiting and I applaud A.Net for this positive business practise. This actually makes me more prone to play this game actually. It is a definite sign of long term thinking which should comfort people.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

or 

The biggest issue for me right now personaly is that i am unable to play with friends because i am stuck in overflow. I really like the overflow system but i didn't join the game to play solo (i know there are other players around in overflow). I miss my friends. ;(

So if this move helps reducing overflow queues..well no harm in suspending sales for some days.

Why not open new servers and then offer free transfers if there is room elsewhere?

Opening new servers takes time. It's not something you can just switch on and off.

Also keep in mind that any new game needs to maintain a delicate number of servers because once the popularity dies down, and it will, they risk having a lot of servers being empty, which is what happened to SWTOR.

So they need time to figure out how many servers they need to open in order to ensure a healthy population on all servers a few months down the line. And they also need time to open these servers.

Also, the transfers are already free.

Your first sentence included some sarcasm right away  telling me ive no clue what im talking bout .  Well have your online  victory  if it makes you feel superior . im not gonna debate with you on this matter  any further  because i think you take this whole thing  ...lets say way to personal , the mildest  i can say . Have Fun 

PS: How much time do you have to spend to have a total  of 4k posts on this forum?

I've been a member of these forums since 2004. Do the math.

You posted and I commented on it, it has nothing to do with a victory. It's what forums are for, to have a discussion. If you're not interested in having a discussion, avoid posting on the forums. Also, I'm sorry if I offended you by explaining to you why things don't always work the way you think they do.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131

You have zero proof this is why they are doing it.

Everything has to be negative on this site, doesn't it?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I don't mean to be negative, but has anyone else considered that it might be a move to give the appearance of greater popularity?  Encouraging people to rush out to stores to pick it up, in turn encouraging stores to give it more shelf space and big fancy displays?  Would only work if it has enough popularity to begin with, but the extra push could help get it out into mainstream awareness.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by tavvra

They are, but anet knows that opening week concurrency isn't the norm, and they've been shoving people into overflow since day one with no major crashes or issues.  They obviously aren't at any sort of critical capacity.

Servers are currently limited to a certain number of accounts. When they are full they are full, has nothing to do with concurrency. They are currently running out of room for new players, and they dont want to piss off people buying the retail copy, so they are shutting down digital copies until they have more room.

It really isnt conspiracy theory worthy.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

digital copies are still available through a few sources, amazon, gamestop, bestbuy and others

-- just not through ANET

http://www.amazon.com/NCsoft-41145ild-Wars-2-Download/dp/B0091XHZW8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames-download&ie=UTF8&qid=1346552621&sr=1-2&keywords=Guild+Wars+2

next theory?

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Funny how only a handful of people here managed to pick up on the most reasonable explanation for this move. ANet has authorized a limited number of boxes AND digital keys for retailers to sell. So if a retailer sees that ANet is selling digital keys from their own coffers while they are sitting on keys/boxes for a game that has NO problem selling their next step would be to sell what they have at a discount to move their stock.

That would make ANet looks bad NOT retailers. People would not associate a discounted product an issue for retailers only ANet. And they know this. So ANet stops their own sales to give retailers a little breathing room by nudging people to buy what's available from their distributors. Nothing to get worked up about really. Just business as usual if you understand how business works.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

It's a good move!  Better to stall sales a bit to ensure a better experience for current players, then go Blizzard's Diablo III way and piss everyone off with lag and login issues for weeks!

And look where D3 is now? Everyone I know who bought that game... every single one of them regret buying it. Me included!

I am having a blast now with Guild Wars 2 with no issues and no lag! And I am playing from Europe even.

( altho I was smart and rolled on a US server :-P )

Diablo's issues lasted less than a week, in fact I think it was about 3 days, so not weeks.

No one regrets buying Diablo 3 because of the first few days of login issues, they regret buying it because it's a bad game.