Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your funniest MMO memories?

ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

Couple of my friends and I were talking the other night about our interesting history of MMO playing clear from 1998. As I think back it made me both happy and sad to remember some of the funniest things to have ever happened. I'd like to know some of your stories that made you bust a gut.

Ultima Online: T2A. My good friend who was a 7xgm equipped his best kryss and shield as we set off to explore the new content!. We come across a cyclops, in a rush he tromps off behind a hill to fight the cyclops. All I can hear is *urgh, clang clang, ching*. I type in, "hey man you ok? come out here so I can attack him". His reply, "nah I got this"... a few seconds later I hear the quick shuffling of feet as he can't get out from behind the rock to run from the cyclops. I was laughing so hard at that point I was of absolutely no help to him.

Ultima Online: (Old School). Grandmaster animal tamer decides to stand next to me and have his dragon attack the poor little alchemist blocking the way into the magic shop. Only to be poked by a tiny dagger with level 5 poison. I guess he should have checked the grandmaster assassin title :).

Ultima Online: I make an alternate pick pocket to head up near my carebear friends usual mining location. I was already there stealthed waiting for him to log in for the day. I sat right by the forge as he dragged his ore out there. I ended up smelting his huge stack of black ore before he could. What he didn't know was I had a duplicate rune set to all his mining locations so I followed him around. Snooping, stealing. It took him an hour of me giving him crap to finally attack me. When he does, I run out and somehow he was flagged. He ended up getting killed by a traveling group. He talked about finding that jerk for weeks. I still haven't told him it was me, LOL :)

DAOC: Upon attaining max level I grouped with some mid level 40's. There was another Lurikeen in the group named Chiran, I was named ChiraM. The server crashed and when we all logged in, our names were swapped. I still remember the GM messaging me, his words were, " this is a new one for the record books". :)

Anarchy Online: Shadowlands was freshly out. My buds and I got stuck under this house/building in the middle of nowhere. 30 minutes later we had a guide show up. She got stuck as well and none of the relocation commands worked. By the time an actual GM showed up, there were 3 guides + us stuck. The GM goes, I need to take a picture of this!.

EverQuest: Druid was talking smack on the forums about me and how easy it was for me to get my epics because of my guild credentials. I just happened to be running by the location ( for the rarest) spawn of his epic quest. I kill stole it, looted and moved on. Everyone agreed he deserved it, had the whole guild rolling on that one.

EverQuest: Lower Guk: Friend of mine daringly rolled a gnome warrior with some gear I twinked him out in. One day I was just zoning into lower guk and I hear him shout, " TRAIN TO ZONE". As I came down the hallway I see this little gnome warrior hauling butt around the corner and tailing him were literally 10-15 frogloks and a few oversized minotaurs... and I even think an evil eye was in there.

The hilarious part?. You had to make a jump to get to the safe location. I saw him running, running, running. I had a heal casting for him soon as he got close enough. He jumps! and I see the tip of his face hit the edge as he falls into the water below, with crocodiles as the rest of the train falls onto him. I fell out of my chair laughing at that one.

I have loads more :). Just figured I'd share a few.

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    UO: Herding + Hide + Sneak = Fun. Have an alt that is purely for doing this. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

When the NGE was announced, I laughed hard. Then I found out it wasnt a joke and I stopped laughing.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Foomerang

When the NGE was announced, I laughed hard. Then I found out it wasnt a joke and I stopped laughing.

i laughed too, :/

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

MMORPG's are serious business.

We players have no measurable sense of humor.

All kidding aside...

When I tried the Darkfall trial I played for about an hour.  I saw 1 other player the whole time and only a handful of mobs.  I laughed heartily and uninstalled.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

WoW: I was standing on the boat dock in ashenvale waiting for the boat when a lvl 10 night elf comes up to me, he then proceeds to challenge me to a duel. I have time so why not, the lil guys starts hacking away and I decide to Mind Control him, and I make him jump around I see the ship and idnt watch my step and he falls into the ater.

Needless to say he was plenty pissed at me but it was funny as hell XD.

WoW: Again, early into BC expansion, I was standing above the summonstone at Hellfire ramparts, 2 groups of horde were theuir, I MC every single on off the side XD

Awww Mind control, good times.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Chasing people down in the wilderness in Runescape Classic and stealing their loot they've played months to get... That was about 10 years ago now :/

• krondinkrondin Member UncommonPosts: 106

In EQ 1:  I had a hilarious time with a twinked out warrior, complete with fungi tunic and BoC < blade of carnage > and a few other really sweet peices of gear. This was soon after the new tutorial starting area emerged in game, so everyone began there who was new. I enter this area, go to the mail box and grab all my sweet gear, then i began doing the quests < at lvl 1 i am so powerfull even a lvl 8-10 mob would have trouble killing me rofl >, about LvL 5 i get asked to join this group, so i did.... They were all brand new to the game, and not being familiar with class roles, they asked in chat "who is going to be the tank person?" so i said " i am new at this but i'll try it".... So i pull 4 mobs onto the group.... Now the funny part....

As quick as the 1st mob hits me i begin running in a circle around my group saying in party chat " OMG Its Hitting me! Its going to KILL me HELP!" < roflmfao > They did the best they could to "Save" me, but all died, then i simply turned and killed all the mobs. So they come back and grab thier stuff .....no one says anything to me......We set up to pull again, so i said "I'll try harder this time", they gave me a few words of encouragement like" Dont run this time, i couldnt get the mobs off you while you were moving" ... Laughingly i pull a 2cd time, 3 mobs this time and do the same thing "OMG Its KILLING ME....HELP!" while running in a tight circle around my group..... They all died, then i killed the mobs again....I could hardly breath laughing so much!  The group broke up right after that...

I dont normally "Grieve" anyone in any game, i am usually the one to come to the aid of others . This made this adventure all the more hilarious!  This was probly alot more funny if you could have seen it vs me writing about it here....but i assure you it was Hilarious!

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    EQ1 : Me (a wizard) fighting a hill giant in north karana.  I'm in a close fight with the giant and I hit the wrong button....when I cast my next nuke it blasted me so hard that the giant finished me off no problem....I had hit self target without noticing it.  I was so disoriented as to what had just happened it took me a little while to figure it out.
  • TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by dave6660

All kidding aside...

When I tried the Darkfall trial I played for about an hour.  I saw 1 other player the whole time and only a handful of mobs.  I laughed heartily and uninstalled.

[mod edit]

Maybe you should have taken the starter quest that marks the mob spawns? Or maybe you should have gone to a player city, you know, where all the players hang out? The games 3 years old, why would everyone be in the starter cities still? Its a huge game world. [mod edit]

• JustANoob69xDJustANoob69xD Member Posts: 3

My favorite memory was when I realized the game companys don't care about us, they just want our money.

All   KIDDseriousnessING   aside, my favorite is when you finally find a build that works for your character, and you absolutley pound people with it.

[mod edit - referral removed]

• HannyyHannyy Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I remember playing Runescape with my buddy, we were trying to explore the wilderness and everytime some high lvl dude passed by, we screamed like girls and quickly logged out . Later on we got killed dozen of times and sometimes i even tricked him into following me into wilderness with his loot so i could kill him and steal everythning haha.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    ? Albert Einstein

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

In wow , doing Gnomergan with my priest ( a tiered dungeon with various floors round a central staircase) i mindcontrolled a mob and made him jump down the central shaft, hopefully killing him (or so i thought)

I was feeling very smug , we finished the last mob but we notice we dont go out of combat mode, we wait and wait and wait and we are still in combat mode. Thats when i discovered mobs in wow are immune to fall damage. That gnome climbed the four floors up, agroin each and every mob it found along the way till it reached me. i swear there must have been at least 75 mobs with him when they swarmed us....everyone was like "wht the hell happened?"..... i think i didnt get caught- That was creative dungeoneering at its best.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

All kidding aside...

Probably for the best, because in Darkfall the mobs are not scattered in a constant spread pattern for the little noobies who don't understand exploration.

Maybe you should have taken the starter quest that marks the mob spawns? Or maybe you should have gone to a player city, you know, where all the players hang out? The games 3 years old, why would everyone be in the starter cities still? Its a huge game world. Some people...

Everyone?  Where did I ask for everyone to be in the starting area?  I did expect more than 1 new player online at a time.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

All kidding aside...

Probably for the best, because in Darkfall the mobs are not scattered in a constant spread pattern for the little noobies who don't understand exploration.

Maybe you should have taken the starter quest that marks the mob spawns? Or maybe you should have gone to a player city, you know, where all the players hang out? The games 3 years old, why would everyone be in the starter cities still? Its a huge game world. Some people...

Everyone?  Where did I ask for everyone to be in the starting area?  I did expect more than 1 new player online at a time.

You saw one new player in ONE of the 21 starter cities, 3 years into an MMORPG.

Most new players leave starter cities RIGHT AWAY. But even still, there's almost always 3-5 in starter areas of one of the 21 cities. But, seems you gave up immediately.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I didn't witness it personally, but probably the funniest moment in MMOs for me happened on my Everquest server, the story of Mecha Cazic.

Most EQ veterans probably know this story, but if you don't, a long time ago you could hand items to NPCs and they would equip them and gain their effects (damage ratios of weapons didn't matter, but any proc on the weapon would work when the NPC attacked).

At the time, Cazic Thule, the boss of Plane of Fear, was one of the tougher raid bosses in the game.  A guild on my server that a lot of people didn't think too highly of, was forming up to make a run as Cazic Thule.  An Iksar Monk from another guild (Iksars were not kill on sight to Cazic), handed him two weapons - one procced a self dispell, the other had a haste buff.  Thus, Cazic Thule had to be fought hitting significantly faster, and also without debuffs (no slow, no cripple, no resist debuff), all of which were extremely important on raid bosses.  I can't remember if they eventually killed him or not, but there was a huge flame thread on my server's old forum.

Probably the funniest thing I witnessed personally was when a guild mate got his character intoxicated on a zone line and spent the next two hours repeatedly zoning back and forth (zone times were extremely long back then, and your character didn't sober up while he was zoning).

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    A  Bunny Rabbit laying waste to half a server, some will know which game I am talking about. Good times Good times, watched the rabbit for hours.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Meeting my first roleplayer in UO, he was roleplaying some sort of primitive native, he had his own language and was equiped with a spear and mask, he used emotes to point and poke to get your attention. He had me in tears everytime we went hunting and I remember this one time he saw his first dragon, he charged in with his war cry then quickly dropped his spear and started running for the hills and refused to return to that area I laughed so hard my face was sore.
  • Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

its pathetic . TS during  an Underworld farm  in GW1 ...a nice girl with me  on  Teamspeak  im totaly wasted on half a bottle of Jack . At some point i passed out .

Next day that gal hollers me via wisper saying :Among the living again??

i was like : uh oh what?

She  gives me a link  with  TS audio recordings of me snoring like a Bear ...worse it was posted all around the forums ><

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I remember back when I was just starting out EverQuest. I was in Kelethin and inspected this low level Bard, when inspecting without asking permission was still considered rude, when he started freaking out on me. He ran away and I chased him until he stopped so I could inspect him again. Some more words were said and he ran off again with me hot on his tail. This went on for about 15-20 minutes or so when he finally lost me. Down, but not out, I went on my quest for the day to find him again. After a bit I regrettably gave up and went towards Orc Lift to get a group. Took the lift down and there he was! Had to inspect him one more time where he again cussed at me and ran off again. Never laughed so hard at something so trivial before.

Another EverQuest adventure that also involves Kelethin were some of the drunken elf races we would have trying not to fall off the bridges on our way. Some very good times in that game.

One more thing that I loved was Lake of Ill Omen. I swear there was something in the air in that zone because you could start a fight about the dumbest stuff. I remember my first time seeing the /shout Chancellor of Di`zok hits YOU for 260 points of damage! message thinking that I was actually getting hit and the mayhem that happened in /ooc after that. Or else just starting random rants from everyone in the zone by /shout Rangers suck!. Fights would go on for an hour over why they do or why they don't or what other random stuff that was brought up. Always something to look forward to in that area. Seems that I leveled up with that group too because it seemed to follow me from there to Frontier Mountains...to Overthere...to Dreadlands...and on and on...

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Funniest memory with mmo's wasn't when I was playing, but when a friend of mine went and bought a 40" LCD to hook up to his gaming computer he showed a bunch of us how NFS looked, and then Call of Duty, and then he fires up WoW and he thought something was screwed up because it looked so bad. He starts going through settings and was even ready to try new drivers. Nope, it just looks that bad. lol He actually took the 40" out and went back to his 22" so it wasn't so noticable. 

World of Warcraft - MMORPG of choice for the legally blind!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by sirphobos

I didn't witness it personally, but probably the funniest moment in MMOs for me happened on my Everquest server, the story of Mecha Cazic.

Most EQ veterans probably know this story, but if you don't, a long time ago you could hand items to NPCs and they would equip them and gain their effects (damage ratios of weapons didn't matter, but any proc on the weapon would work when the NPC attacked).

At the time, Cazic Thule, the boss of Plane of Fear, was one of the tougher raid bosses in the game.  A guild on my server that a lot of people didn't think too highly of, was forming up to make a run as Cazic Thule.  An Iksar Monk from another guild (Iksars were not kill on sight to Cazic), handed him two weapons - one procced a self dispell, the other had a haste buff.  Thus, Cazic Thule had to be fought hitting significantly faster, and also without debuffs (no slow, no cripple, no resist debuff), all of which were extremely important on raid bosses.  I can't remember if they eventually killed him or not, but there was a huge flame thread on my server's old forum.

Probably the funniest thing I witnessed personally was when a guild mate got his character intoxicated on a zone line and spent the next two hours repeatedly zoning back and forth (zone times were extremely long back then, and your character didn't sober up while he was zoning).

LOL. God I miss old school EQ. We did something similar to a raid guild that was trying to tackle plane of hate. We handed items to the maestro ( bard boss) and Innoruuk. I forget what they were but ultimately the guild gave up.

• Trying to take a shortcut in Elwynn Forest to reach Stormwind City I got hopelessly lost for about half an hour. I was too n00b to know about the map! I swear the place felt ten times as big as it really was.
  • ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Slukjan
    EQ1 : Me (a wizard) fighting a hill giant in north karana.  I'm in a close fight with the giant and I hit the wrong button....when I cast my next nuke it blasted me so hard that the giant finished me off no problem....I had hit self target without noticing it.  I was so disoriented as to what had just happened it took me a little while to figure it out.

I did something similar only I snared myself LOL. Matter of fact I did that probably a hundred times in my druid career, rofl.