Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R.I.P CoH.. very sad shut down

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

'This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years...'

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/news/news_archive/thank_you.php

Cya :(

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

WTH?!  I guess people just did not come back when it went F2P.  Loved my MM and loved having them sync dance.  

R.I.P. CoX,  off to download it again to be there on its last day.

BOOYAKA!

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Yeah, just posted this on teh Pub.

Seriously, never saw this coming.

• tranceauftranceauf Member UncommonPosts: 29

About time!

Just kidding sorry for all you guys who liked this game.  I would imagine ncsoft would not do this if it was making money on the game.  So must have just been about time.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

This is sad, indeed! I spent quite a few years having fun with many heroes in this game. I'll have to keep watch on this now.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

[mod edit]

Cannot blame them if the game was losing money.  Hell, I tried to come back myself, but the game is just too old now.  I bet you don't even play the game and just reacting because it was NCSoft.

BOOYAKA!

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    Seems F2P either finished off the franchise or couldn't save it. Take your pic.
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    I dont understand it.  Doesnt the game take in enough money to life support it with an extremely minimal staff?  If SoE could keep VG running all this time (and SWG running before LA pulled the plug) why cant NCSoft at least keep the lights on?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by cyress8

WTH?!  I guess people just did not come back when it went F2P.  Loved my MM and loved having them sync dance.  

R.I.P. CoX,  off to download it again to be there on its last day.

The thing is they did, at least to start.

But a game that can't retain people under a sub won't retain them under a cash shop, no matter what we are told.

This particular death makes me sad though. I spent a lot of time in this game and have a fondness for it still.

it does make you wonder how little moeny it was actually making that NCSoft didn't think it viable to even put on life support and let run on for a while.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

[mod edit]

Yeah, that's classic NC Soft.

So let's see...

Lineage in the west

Auto Assault

Tabula Rasa

Dungeon Runners

Edit: Exteel

and now CoX

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    I freely admit I didn't like the game, but I sure didn't see this coming.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Didn't like the game (only played a few months) but I hate to see any game shut down, especially when people are still enjoying it. I remember how I felt when E&B shut down... and AC2... and TR...

Sucks.

Sorry to the folks who were enjoying the game.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I wonder if Nexon being a primary stakeholder influenced things at all.  Either way what a shame, was actually in game when the news broke so people were just shocked and couldn't believe it. For some people this is the first and only MMO they know.

Hopefully the IP can be sold for cheap and the game brough back on some level. It is an enjoyable game and the community really makes it fun.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

[mod edit]

Cannot blame them if the game was losing money.  Hell, I tried to come back myself, but the game is just too old now.  I bet you don't even play the game and just reacting because it was NCSoft.

I played the game for two years after it launched (still have the box somewhere), and subbed sporadically afterwards (when in between other games). All indications were that the game had a healthy population and was doing quite well.

The only reason given for this shutdown is, "We're changing the company focus. So all you loyal supporters and players can go fuck yourselves."

Sorry, but I feel I have a right to be upset at a company shutting down an MMO for no good reason (given, at least).

You are right about one thing though: I DO hate NCSoft. They're the EA of South Korea.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Didn't like the game (only played a few months) but I hate to see any game shut down, especially when people are still enjoying it. I remember how I felt when E&B shut down... and AC2... and TR...

Sucks.

Yeah, it wasn't for everyone, but it amazes me that it wasn't making enough money for a ghost crew when we see car crashes like VG, DF, and MO roll on for years on minimum sub numbers.

Aide from anything else, I think NCsoft might have misjudged the affection a lot of folks have for this title in the West. Closing it at this time can only result in negaitve publicity when they are launching new titles now and in the near future. Not very smart tbh.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

When they went free to play, the made you re-buy the pet classes you had already purchased when you bought the game originally. So I came back to try it out on my level 50 MM, and what's this... I have to pay $$ to unlock a class that I've already paid for? No thanks.

Good luck with your cash shop GW2.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by teakbois
    I dont understand it.  Doesnt the game take in enough money to life support it with an extremely minimal staff?  If SoE could keep VG running all this time (and SWG running before LA pulled the plug) why cant NCSoft at least keep the lights on?

NCSoft does seem much more willing to just close a game down (or a whole studio for that matter) than other companies might.  Look at what SE is going to try and revive FF XIV for instance or as you said how long SOE has keep VG running.

• NaturrutanNaturrutan Member Posts: 20
    It saddens me abit. CoH has been my "goto" game in between other games so i´ll miss it for sure. 8 years of superhero antics is enough perhaps but i´ll still be hoping for a successor. That is a non button mashing action based game but a more tactical one.
  • -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325
    *sigh* The game I wrote my first mmorpg.com article about back in 2005 or so... CoX will always have a place in my heart. *waves good bye to his heroes*

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

So many good memories I have from CoX back in the days.

This is sad news indeed.

R.I.P CoX. You truly are (so far) the best Super Hero MMO out there.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    GW2 killed it?
  • mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

Game Devs are idiots for signing with NCSoft, trigger happy attitude!

Here's an idea, instead of shutting down the game, why not FIX IT?!?!?!?

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    They may have went F2P but they limited lots of free stuff and was too demanding with cash shop. RIP COH. Good times, back then. Truly.
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

Sucks.

Sad news to be sure.  

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

I played COH for a good while, I am sad to see it go. I guess I will have to get back in and do my best to do a fond farewell to a great game that faced it's Kryptonite.

A sad loss.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    [mod edit]

I played the game for two years after it launched (still have the box somewhere), and subbed sporadically afterwards (when in between other games). All indications were that the game had a healthy population and was doing quite well.

The only reason given for this shutdown is, "We're changing the company focus. So all you loyal supporters and players can go fuck yourselves."

Sorry, but I feel I have a right to be upset at a company shutting down an MMO for no good reason (given, at least).

You are right about one thing though: I DO hate NCSoft. They're the EA of South Korea.

This is actually 100% accurate. They never gave a specific reason for closing it down, other than that they're "changing focus". They never said it wasn't making money -- it just probably wasn't making as much money as they wanted to warrant the hassle of keeping the team together to continue producing content.