Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any long instanced dungeons in the game

dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
I am enjoying the game a lot. Just wondering if there are any long instanced dungeons in the game. I love all the co-op dynamic events. But once in awhile a nice dungeon crawl with several bosses is nice to.

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    AC is fairly lengthy with several bosses. Seeing as how that is the first I would imagine that will probably be the norm length wise or some may possibly take even longer.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    AC is fairly lengthy with several bosses. Seeing as how that is the first I would imagine that will probably be the norm length wise or some may possibly take even longer.

Exploration mode takes more than 1 hour to complete?

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Unfortunately there are a few. Seems they couldn't completely abandon the WoW crowd and the features they like.
  • dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175
    cool. I am level 19 right now..WHen will I have a chance to adventure there. I am not familiar with what AC is.
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Exploration mode takes more than 1 hour to complete?

I've only done story mode. Which I didn't time it but I imagine it was at least an hour to do that. Considering explorable is apparently harder I would imagine it will take even longer for those.

...and I was in a good pug both times. Really didn't have any issues 'cept some minor wtfbbq moments for some during The Lovers. So if you're with a group unknown to the dungeon or struggling for whatever reason it could be quite a long dungeon run.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    Unfortunately there are a few. Seems they couldn't completely abandon the WoW crowd and the features they like.

Aw come on, GW2 is a fantastic and fun game but who doesn't love a good old-fashioned dungeon stomp every once in a while?

If the game was just dynamic events eventually it would get tedious. ArenaNEt was very intelligent to make the game more than one mechanic.. I stopped playing Rift after I got bored with Rifts. Done one Rift ..done them all.

Originally posted by ultrastoat

Aw come on, GW2 is a fantastic and fun game but who doesn't love a good old-fashioned dungeon stomp every once in a while?

A good old fashioned dungeon stomp would be one that isn't instanced. And I love those.

Instanced dungeons are generally anti social, linear, simple affairs that break your connection with the world.

Originally posted by dbgager

If the game was just dynamic events eventually it would get tedious. ArenaNEt was very intelligent to make the game more than one mechanic.. I stopped playing Rift after I got bored with Rifts. Done one Rift ..done them all.

The problem is that its instanced, not that its a challenging dungeon.

cool. I am level 19 right now..WHen will I have a chance to adventure there. I am not familiar with what AC is.

Ascalon Catacombs

Story mode lvl 30+

Explorable mode lvl 35+

A good old fashioned dungeon stomp would be one that isn't instanced. And I love those.

Instanced dungeons are generally anti social, linear, simple affairs that break your connection with the world.

It isn't like you have to do them in this game considering the way they designed the game. Frankly they're a nice change of pace far as I'm concerned. Not like I would run them over and over again though.

It isn't like you have to do them in this game considering the way they designed the game. Frankly they're a nice change of pace far as I'm concerned. Not like I would run them over and over again though.

I don't see why they needed to be instanced. I intially praised GW2 for the efforts it went to get people all in the same world together, but then it went an added instanced dungeons instead of the huge public dungeons that the best MMOs have.

I don't see why they needed to be instanced. I intially praised GW2 for the efforts it went to get people all in the same world together, but then it went an added instanced dungeons instead of the huge public dungeons that the best MMOs have.

I don't know of many games that actually have public dungeons. A public dungeon is just the same mechanic and not a change of pace. Just an enclosed zerg fest. I am not putting the co-op down. But to me a public dungeon Is not a dungeon at all.

Ascalon Catacombs

Story mode lvl 30+

Explorable mode lvl 35+

Thank you..I am looking forward to it.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

How is this a bad thing?

I don't know of many games that actually have public dungeons. A public dungeon is just the same mechanic and not a change of pace. Just an enclosed zerg fest. I am not putting the co-op down. But to me a public dungeon Is not a dungeon at all.

Almost every MMO before WoW had public dungeons, and quite a few after, like Vanguard and Darkfall. They're generally better designed and more impressive because they're meant to house lots of people. You sound like you've never been in a public dungeon before, so I don't know how you can judge that its "not a dungeon at all". It is a complete change of pace from normal above ground game worlds.

Originally posted by GamerUntouch

How is this a bad thing?

Because instancing is a lazy mechanics usually reserved for when devs can't figure out how to properly balance sometthing. All the best dungeons in the history of the genre have NOT been instanced.

Well they would have to design the dungeon with that in play. I mean if AC was open it would be a mess. I will agree that open world dungeons can be quite fun as well. Although I found it more entertaining when you had to deal with an element of PvP playing a factor too. On a PvE server? Eh, was more a pain in the ass at times with people camping or tagging mobs. Although with the way GW2 designed their game I will admit it wouldn't be a factor.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

How is this a bad thing?

Because instancing is a lazy mechanics usually reserved for when devs can't figure out how to properly balance sometthing. All the best dungeons in the history of the genre have NOT been instanced.

That's not what I'm talking about, why would them being long be bad?

How is this a bad thing?

lol..What does a zergfest have to do with balance..Its much harder to actually balance a dungeon for a group then simply putting a bunch of mobs in there, and  not worrying about it. If enough players are there it will be easy. If few are there it will be hard.  You definetelly have that turned around in your mind. ANd what dungeons are you referring to that are not instanced..Example...

How is this a bad thing?

lol..What does a zergfest have to do with balance..Its much harder to actually balance a dungeon for a group then simply putting a bunch of mobs in there, and  not worrying about it. If enough players are there it will be easy. If few are there it will be hard.  You definetelly have that turned around in your mind. ANd what dungeons are you referring to that are not instanced..Example...

In traditional MMOs, it wouldn't be a zerg fest, only groups would stay together and go through their own wings of the dungeon. Other games had mechanics in place to prevent zergs from clearing out a dungeon, don't know how GW2 would do it, but rather than slapping instancing on it, they should have actually tried to find a way.

Examples? Every dungeon in EverQuest. Every dungeon in Ultima Online.

Some of the most legendary dungeons, Blackburrow, Stonehenge, Caer Sidi, Avalon City, Darkness Falls, every dungeon in Vanguard, big huge masterpiece dungeons, none instanced. Because the devs actually tried.

Almost every MMO before WoW had public dungeons, and quite a few after, like Vanguard and Darkfall. They're generally better designed and more impressive because they're meant to house lots of people. You sound like you've never been in a public dungeon before, so I don't know how you can judge that its "not a dungeon at all". It is a complete change of pace from normal above ground game worlds.

Vanguard ,,yes..But I can not think of any other MMOs with non instanced dungeons. I played Vanguard for a long time by the way...and I can not think of anything very memorable about the dungeons. Just a continuation of the world. An instanced dungeon is able to control your experience, and the challenge much better than a dungeon  where they have no idea how many players will be in it, at any time.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

How is this a bad thing?

In traditional MMOs, it wouldn't be a zerg fest, only groups would stay together and go through their own wings of the dungeon. Other games had mechanics in place to prevent zergs from clearing out a dungeon, don't know how GW2 would do it, but rather than slapping instancing on it, they should have actually tried to find a way.

Some of the most legendary dungeons, Blackburrow, Stonehenge, Caer Sidi, Avalon City, Darkness Falls, every dungeon in Vanguard, big huge masterpiece dungeons, none instanced. Because the devs actually tried.

Actually, instancing adds code to the build therefore is more work.  Nice try.  Well, lazy try really.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    ^^ agreed, tib there is already non instances areas in gw2, it's the world at large, and what's available in Orr. Instances offer a different type of adventure in the game that can be tailored to meet the desires of the people inside the instance. Variety is what makes gw2 great.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

Excuse me! I played Guild Wars 1 and that had dungeons which I enjoyed a lot just because its in WoW doesn't mean it COMES from Wow. Dungeons In GW2 are awesome fun. Just completed my first AC with a dam good group if i may say so myself. 

There is nothing I enjoy more then trekking around a dungeon killing bosses and collecting sweet lootz

Originally posted by waynejr2

How is this a bad thing?

Actually, instancing adds code to the build therefore is more work.  Nice try.  Well, lazy try really.

It adds simple code. I'm talking design and AI work that instancing lets developers avoid. Far more substantial than a little bit of code. Nice try though.

Vanguard ,,yes..But I can not think of any other MMOs with non instanced dungeons. I played Vanguard for a long time by the way...and I can not think of anything very memorable about the dungeons. Just a continuation of the world. An instanced dungeon is able to control your experience, and the challenge much better than a dungeon  where they have no idea how many players will be in it, at any time.

I just named like, 8 MMOs.

And I doubt you played Vanguard if there was "nothing memorable" about the dungeons.