Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am SICK and TIRED of the "more difficult" crowd

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Originally posted by Elikal

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Grrrr

TSW was stupid easy. Thats why most people completed it in a month or so (I did and I didn't even play that much). Most games are actually pretty frickin easy. 

I would argue that developers ignore the hardcore crowd. We no longer have death penalties, experience is gained fast, mobs and dungeons are easier. Instead of strong bosses you just learn patterns now. Most games don't have open PvP anymore. You get cool looking items exceptionally easy now. Quests are a lot more straightforward with markers on the map and sometimes even a line on the ground to follow! 

[mod edit]

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Dumbed down MMO tend to have very little social interaction since you don't depend on others to progress. The new easymode MMO are fine if you like soloing all the time without any interaction with anyone. That's what happens in easy MMO where you don't need to cooperate, seen it in every MMO that lets you solo.

I play MMO because of other players, I would be playing a single player game otherwise. Difficulty forces players to cooperate which in turn helps build a community. It has nothing to do with proving myself, at least not for me.

I also don't understand the complaint, every other MMO is easymode, I haven't played GW2 but somehow I doubt it's a difficult MMO, seeing as some people are reaching the lvl cap in a matter of days.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

What happened to WoW,dumbed down to the bottom,this post doesnt make any sense.

Dumbed down is good. Dumbed down is GREAT, because it makes me feel the HERO and not the useless twat I am for free in RL 24/7 already thank you very much.

Console games that way -----> That is what they are made for.

MMORPG's are...or were sadly...suppose to be large worlds the player was plopped into and the player made the reputation for themselves. Not have it handed to you.

I wish you could send me some of what you are smoking, because dev's don't cater to hardcores....every MMORPG on the market now is ridiculous easy and made to cater to casuals that want to feel like a hero. I believe this is a sarcastic post...otherwise, you are clueless. Sad thing is...there are MANY with that type of outlook....it's why these games suck now.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Guild Wars 2 is probably one of the easiest MMOs ever made. Seriously are people complaining about Solo content being too hard now? I remember old school MMOs you couldn't kill a rat without a full group.
  • Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Seriously, I so HAVE it had with those people always yelling "MORE DIFFICULT" please. Why are the devs always listen to them? I am really pissed. First The Secret World, which I quit because I died 2000 times. And now with GW2 it is the same again. The difficulty was just right in the late beta, but a few people whined with Esports mentality, some 16 year old action zergers asked for more hardcore, and now beyond level 16 both my Mesmer and my Thief are unplayable. I HATE those people. Why must they always cater THEM? While the world is fully crowded you get along, but play on irregular times, and those classes are a DAMN CHORE. And worse, the story instances are nightmares! I even took a friend along, and we died several times, even had to just ignore some instances, because even with two we simply could not do it, and to hell with levelling, because the DAMN GAME levels you down again, no matter.

I am so fed up with developers always listen to this hardcore crowd who ruin every game because they need games to be a dick size contest to PROVE themselves!

Grrrr

I'm sorry but some of us when playing a video game would rather be challenged than sit here and mash buttons in an "Easy" game.  It's not about E-Sport in the open-world PvE... it's about learning to adapt and create strategies.

I've got my Thief to level 40 and frankly I found it easy.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

What happened to WoW,dumbed down to the bottom,this post doesnt make any sense.

Dumbed down is good. Dumbed down is GREAT, because it makes me feel the HERO and not the useless twat I am for free in RL 24/7 already thank you very much.

LMAO I certainly admire your honesty!

Frankly, I havre never found any MMo difficult, ever. Primarily because my skill as a player is almost always irrelevant. If I just keep spamming the 1, 2, 3 keys in places equal to my characters level....I progress like a good like monkey.

When I think of difficult games....I think back to games like Ninja Gaiden and all the controller-throwing fits it gave me. Now THAT shit was hard!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367
    Originally posted by spankybus
    *snip*

LMAO I certainly admire your honesty!

Frankly, I havre never found any MMo difficult, ever. Primarily because my skill as a player is almost always irrelevant. If I just keep spamming the 1, 2, 3 keys in places equal to my characters level....I progress like a good like monkey.

When I think of difficult games....I think back to games like Ninja Gaiden and all the controller-throwing fits it gave me. Now THAT shit was hard!

There's nothing like a game where you have to take breaks and go smash some trash cans.  Then, after you finally, finally beat it, you never want to touch it again.  GW2 is not that game.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I think a lot of the posters here are missing the point of his complaint. I imagine Elikal is capable of progressing through the game if he so chooses, but the game requires you to be on your toes majority of the time in small scale confrontations. Heck I just got off doing Ascalonian catacombs for the first time, and that is definitely not easy when you compare it to standard dungeons.

The internet tough guy crowd seems to have invaded this thread in force claiming the game is easy but in reality your average gamer does not want to be on their toes every fight. They want to let their guard down while they play and just leisurely crush their opponents and progress briskly through the game. That is where the crux of the complaint comes from. I personnally find no issue with this play style.

The issue is that GW2 does not allow these people to over level and overcome these challanging encounters. The very design forces the encounter to always be to a certain degree challanging no matter what. I really really like this, but I can see where others such as Elikal doesn't. GW2 is just not a game designed to let you lower your guard unless you subconsciously dodge to all of your opponents attacks, and lets be honest if you can do that you are not an average gamer!!!

By the way to the vehement defenders of GW2. Eli is not a troll, he is just very passionate. At least that's how I read him :)

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Novusod
    Guild Wars 2 is probably one of the easiest MMOs ever made. Seriously are people complaining about Solo content being too hard now? I remember old school MMOs you couldn't kill a rat without a full group.

Older MMO's ala EQ did not require skill to kill that rat unless you were kiting it as a caster. If you were a Warrior it was just statistically impossible to over come certain monsters unless you brought buddies or seriously out leveled/out geared it. That is not challanging combat. Rather it is challanging meta game in how you are going to gather the resources to fight that mob.

Newer MMO's ala Guild Wars have drastically reduced the meta game preperation but have increased the twitch or combat response times. This results in more challenging combat with a lower barrier to entry in terms of grouping, gearing, speccing blah blah blah.

If a mob is capable of killing you in 3-4 hits (a trash mob mind you) unless you react properly, then yes the game has a certain degree of challenge. To ignore that is just ignorant. 

Edit: I should add that I think Guild Wars is just the right level of challenge for me as a gamer. I can see how it is not for everyone. Primarily due to the fact you have to be aware of your environment and pay close attention to what is going on. I like this style of gameplay, but I am a huge fan of games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls though so maybe I just like being punched in the face a lot :)

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    [mod edit]

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I agree somewhat with the OP.

The problem with making a game like this harder is that you can't use "player skill" to over come the difficulty. You can dodge twice and use your heal, but enemies just eat away at your health way too fast and your character does very little damage. It seems like the game wants you to play with others have damage spread out to multiple people and then some people with have aoe heals and buffs.

I find the game annoying rather than challenging at times. I seem to do well with a ranger though since my pet is taking some of the damage for me and the last two ranger heals are great. The heals for some of the other classes just plain suck though.

Theres not much room for "using tactics" when you can do something as simple as dodging or blocking when needed. That is why Tera Online's combat is a billion times far superior to GW2's. You can dodge as much as you want if your class has the ability or you can block with the right class and it's still really challenging. After you doge, you immediatily start getting your health drained by enemy attacks so you dodge again, get attacked right away and then use your one heal and then just have your health eaten at again. Depending on your class and weapon you can probably work out a plan to not get killed all the time. but most of the class/weapon combos just can't solo and need a large team. At least in the earily game. The other skills (utility) should probably come sooner rather than later. They should allow more dodges as well. Or have it regen faster.

• LethalJaxxLethalJaxx Member Posts: 105
    well... If you take the two most difficult to solo professions and judge difficulty purely on that, i can see you might find the game difficult. Try it as a ranger or a guardian and suddenly the game is extremely easy. Just accept that these classes are not for you and reroll, and you'll have a much better time.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Games, dungeons, expansions and the like always start out difficult and are made easier in future.

Why? If it would be the other way round, first too easy and later more difficult, the early players would have tons of awesome equipment and stuff, that newer players would have to work much harder for. That demotives newer players, and makes them quit.

So better the other way round. First difficult, then easy. That way, the early players can late on brag, how they defeated everything before it was made easy.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

I know what you mean. You see, I don't want a 200% power buff! I just want a TAD more oomph, a little bit more durable and powerful characters, just a little bit, so I am NOT standing on my toes and suffocating from adrenaline rush every single fight? Is that so much to ask??

Sorry. It just aggravates me devs always listen to the nerf crowd. ALWAYS! Why do always THEY have the final say? That's not fair! Just ONCE I wish they cater the games for ME not for THEM again!

It might have been answered on previous pages but I didn't feel reading more than 3.

Anyway, the solution is so simple I wonder how this can fly over your head.

Every quest you do, every event, every node and every mob you consume for experience, you can repeat indefinitely. Theoreticaly you could level up to 80 on level 1 mobs due to downscaling YET when you're 20 - 30 or so, you pretty much start one hitting level 1 mobs.

And if repetition bothers you than go experience all race zones one after another.

MEANING...

It is up to YOU and YOU alone how hard you want to make your gameplay.

On contrary someone finding it too easy can go kill 5 levels higher mobs and get a challenge.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    I think that the difficulty setting in the game is tuned around the idea/design that you will have other players around you who will be killing with you, even outside a formal "group", due to the absence of kill stealing rules/penalties.  So it isn't generally tuned for 1v1 content to be 100% "mail it in" faceroll, because this would mean that informal non-group "groups" would be double or triple faceroll.  The issue with this, of course, is that even now in the early stages of high concurrency, you don't always have other players around you (especially on an overflow server), so the difficulty can spike up quickly.  This is especially true for a squishier class -- I have found relatively few challenges on my Guardian, for example, as compared with the Ele, where it is easy to get into a tricky situation (which I don't mind ... I expect it to be harder as a squishy class, but the difficulty difference, in terms of pure "ease of survival", is very noticeable).
  • MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    I enjoy Elikal raging on every MMO I skip :)
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Grrrr

I can understand were your coming from.  I actually ended up deleting my thief in the end because the difficulty of the story missions meant I had to play him like a kiting ranged class when i had in mind a stealthy backstabing type.  Basically it just became not fun for me to play, rather then being overally difficult I was just forced down a playstyle I didn't want to indulge in due to the way the mission works.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    GW2 is beyond easy in so many ways, its made it harder and harder to log in and play. I can t stand simple games, and this is near the top. If anything ramp up the hard.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Caldrin

[mod edit]

Actually, they did up the difficulty again after we did a petition after beta 3.

Honestly is the difficulty pretty good if you play classes like mesmer or thief. Not Meridian or EQ but better than vanilla Wow.

It is aimed at the casual player but casual does not mean you are bad, many casual players today are old vets from classical MMOs. It means they dont have 8 hours every day to grind gear.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

Bravo.

Twas a good read. Would read again.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    -snip

I can understand were your coming from.  I actually ended up deleting my thief in the end because the difficulty of the story missions meant I had to play him like a kiting ranged class when i had in mind a stealthy backstabing type.  Basically it just became not fun for me to play, rather then being overally difficult I was just forced down a playstyle I didn't want to indulge in due to the way the mission works.

Pistol offhand + press 5 every 4 seconds.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    OP: There is room in the market for all types of mmo's. Easy and Hard. Play the easier ones if you wish to.
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I personally welcome challenges in my games they give me some feel of achievement victory just tastes sweeter if it was a struggle to obtain ;)

That being said i do not think GW2 is hard at all the mechanics are very simple and i can cure myself if needed.

If i get attacked while having some the Hero or inventory window open i don't even bother closing them the mobs die easy enough no need to put strategy in there it is more fun if you do tho but really not needed.

The point about wanting to feel like a hero well i agree that is a big part for Rpgs but GW2 really is the wrong game for that even if the fights would be even easier and you could one shot almost everything it wouldn't matter since the areas will always scale your lvl down.  

It doesn't matter that you just killed a 100 meter tall dragon and feel like the greatest hero ever for the next second you could be lvl 5 again and would have as tough a fight to kill some meekly lvl 7 mob.....

I wish games would be more like FF11 mobs have weaknesses you have different types of attacks which all affect the mobs differently a deep combo system to exploit weaknesses even more, well timed magic spells to get extra damage and all this stuff which made FF11 so fun.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Grrrr

Pick a different class.  I started as engineer and found it tedious.  Tried a Warrior and found myself dying easily and it just wasn't fun.  Picked Mesmer, and I feel like a god.  I'm 48 now on the Mesmer and I can almost take on champ mobs solo, not quite but almost.  I have a blast.  It's really the class and playstyle that matters I think.  Granted, there are some really difficult areas, mostly in dungeons which I personally think should be toned down, but otherwise, the challenge is fun and doable.   At least in combat.  The jumping puzzles on the other hand, lol.  Some of those are downright diabolical.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Kraylor
    If you feel that the themepark games out on the market right now are too hard, you MUST have some kind of learning disability or maybe you had a frontal lobe resection due to some nasty head trauma or tumor.

I'm inclined to agree with this.