Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] What is The Secret World Worth (to you)?

Comments

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

If the game continues to expand and give updates then more than $50+sub to me.  It's an awesome game!!!!

BRING IT ON RAGNOR and Co! :)

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Valua

Still, I seriously doubt if the game was F2P you wouldn't be playing. It's a great game imo, if the game was F2P it would be booming with very happy players.

Kind of an odd thing to "doubt".  If the game were F2P today, I still wouldn't play it.  It's a great game to you.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by Crazylike
    The game is aweful and Funcom is going bankrupt, I wouldnt play this game if it was free.

This is the worst comment I've ever read on here.

Imo The Secret World is definitely in the top 3 for best MMO's available right now.

The only reason it's not doing well is because it's not the popular fantasy setting, and it has some innovative features, and most people like to stick to the tried and tested way of gaming. In other words, this game was only ever going to have a niche audience. That doesn't make it a bad game.

Was going to type a response to Crazylike, but you summed it up for me word for word.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I played for about a week and while I think the story  lines are great, the killing factor for me are the limited actions any one toon can take a time.  Sure onve you've been playing for a year and have most of the skills you can switch them out.  You still only get a few though and you have to switch.  And so noobs (such as myself) with few skills, the redundancy gets old - fast.  I remember I was using a shotgun and was shooting it, over and aver and over, again and again and again.  I beleive they should open all skills from all classes to be trainable and let these skills be used in anyway the player wants.  This would do two things.  First, it would make playing funner as you would have more actions to do (one reason why I hated Tera was because you had like 7 actions) and Second, there would be a much larger degree of specs.  imo
  • someth1ngsometh1ng Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Melieza
    Originally posted by someth1ng

Really like the game. I've bought it on Amazon sale for 25$. I wasn't sure it's worth the money and it has no trial (it should!).

The game has a 3 day free trial not sure what you're talking about.

Heh, you're right. But it was announced on August 16th. So probably I've searched for trial before that and decided that there is non.

Well, good for me, bad for Funcome. Probably thir marketing need to push. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me - who's (was in my case) interested to try but don't want to spend 50$ in case of a mistake.

• someth1ngsometh1ng Member Posts: 6

I can't justify paying sub for this game - I will not play multiplayer, there is no PVE engame.

Neither I'm interested in the cash shop  items - gear and char customization I can find ingame are enough for me.

But what drives me playing are the stories (investigation quests mostly). So maybe it would be a good thing for a game to be b2p and then cash shop selling additional quests. If the price is reasonable, it can be good for both gamers and Funcom.

Let's say they have 200k subs. Let's say new investigation quest costs 0.5$. So it brings 100k$ to Funcom, which is definitely greater than development value of this quest. At the same time it's good enough price for let's say hour of "investigating" for me. Add packs, quest chains etc.

I'm happy, Funcom happy :).

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    well, since I'm playing it now, I think it is worth it's current price...
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

It's worth playing.  At the current price.  When it stops being worth playing, I'll stop paying.  Seems like a great system to me.

Cost doesn't really matter to me.  Recently I had the opportunity to play GW2 for free and couldn't force myself to log in for more than 30 minutes at a time.    

So to any DEVs reading this - just make a good game, I'll pay for it.  If you make generic crap and give it to me free, I'm still not going to play it.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

55.5% of that poll are people choosing a "No Sub" option of some form.

Guess we know the answer hm?

On that note, EQ1 is still worth a normal sub LOL!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Yep, this site is full of freeloaders :)     But that's not anything new.  Pretty much every MMO that's come out in the past 5 years has had the "i would play it if it didn't have sub or was free" reaction.

I guess I just have a different mentality.  I rarely like a game enough to want to play it but not enough to pay.  I either like a game and am willing to pay for it or i don't like it and woulnd't play it regardless of cost.   That's just me though.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

On that note, EQ1 is still worth a normal sub LOL!

I agree EQ1 is still worth a sub...do you know how much content is in that game at this point.

I think those people would choose no sub for any game, obviously.

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Chtuga

Sorry, but I prefer games with montly subscription.

Cash shops will cost you more over time + it gives us gamers shallow content. 

For me TSW is well worth a lifetime subscription, and this should have been an option as well ;)

Ya Spot on agree me thinks :)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    With a game that will be doing monthly content updates i think a sub is fine. If i were getting a game that only updates with expansions then i would be pissy about the content saying it doesnt deserve a sub. However a raid release has been announced for October. 2 Nightmare runs have been announced for the delayed Augest update. We get what we pay for.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

Any one else got a email survey from Funcom about TSW asking what would make you purchase it? 

I just did the survey and the questions they asked I found was pretty sad. 

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by MadKing

Any one else got a email survey from Funcom about TSW asking what would make you purchase it? 

I just did the survey and the questions they asked I found was pretty sad. 

Yeah I got that survey last night and filled it out right away. It came off as desperate, "WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO MAKE YOU LOVE ME!?"

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by arieste

Yep, this site is full of freeloaders :)     But that's not anything new.  Pretty much every MMO that's come out in the past 5 years has had the "i would play it if it didn't have sub or was free" reaction.

I guess I just have a different mentality.  I rarely like a game enough to want to play it but not enough to pay.  I either like a game and am willing to pay for it or i don't like it and woulnd't play it regardless of cost.   That's just me though.

I guess this makes everyone that plays any single player game a free loader too ? Given they only pay a the box price and no sub . Where is set in stone that an mmo should have a subscription fee ? Its not but your just to limited in your thinking and dogmatic in your attitude to see it . The  markets changing and the developers need to evolve or die .

Releasing TSW as not only a subscription based game ( higher subs in the EU as well than any other mmo ) with a cash shop was an unbelievably effing stupid move . It was bound to fail big time and it did . Now had they had the sence to realise the game would have greater appeal as buy to play there would be huge numbers playing it now and we would all have been calling it a success .

I really hope you dont go into buisness for yourself you wont survive long before you go bankrupt . Maybe try and apply some common sence to your arguements in future before you call people freeloaders for liking a buy to play buisness model .

After all they will pay 50 dollars upfront for such games . They are not playing for nothing on a private/pirate server .

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by roo67

I guess this makes everyone that plays any single player game a free loader too ? Given they only pay a the box price and no sub . Where is set in stone that an mmo should have a subscription fee ? Its not but your just to limited in your thinking and dogmatic in your attitude to see it . The  markets changing and the developers need to evolve or die .

Releasing TSW as not only a subscription based game ( higher subs in the EU as well than any other mmo ) with a cash shop was an unbelievably effing stupid move . It was bound to fail big time and it did . Now had they had the sence to realise the game would have greater appeal as buy to play there would be huge numbers playing it now and we would all have been calling it a success .

I really hope you dont go into buisness for yourself you wont survive long before you go bankrupt . Maybe try and apply some common sence to your arguements in future before you call people freeloaders for liking a buy to play buisness model .

After all they will pay 50 dollars upfront for such games . They are not playing for nothing on a private/pirate server .

You would be right ..If it wasn't for the existence of piracy..

No...The new breed of gamers are FREELOADERS for sure..

Spoiled bratz that wants everything for free...

Free betas, most kids do all the betas, and if they can't play for free, they won't buy..Most wont buy because by the 2 weeks of open beta is over it's time for the next beta in some other game,

Free to play

and Torents and piracy.

If you think you are not going to pay more than 60 $ for GW2..Well think again..the average gamer will spend hundreds in the online store, and if not, then there will be some other player that spends "for you"..

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Nothing, was in Beta (Closed and recieved Invite to Open as well).

Couldn't get the Game to launch, [machine is above min specs - graphics card is only thing not at recommended and even that wouldn't prevent game launching].

Have downloaded the retail client [due to Beta access] and still couldn't launch it. Issue was thoroughly reported and remains unresolved.

Beyond that I couldn't say what the game is 'Worth'.

BTW I voted Nothing for the above reason.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    A F2P model is the only thing that will get me to play it.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    F2P with a cash shop.  There is no way this game is worth 50 bucks for the box, fifteen a month and a cash shop in addition

I miss DAoC

Releasing TSW as not only a subscription based game ( higher subs in the EU as well than any other mmo ) with a cash shop was an unbelievably effing stupid move . 

Every single successful AAA MMO ever released was released with a purcahse price and monthly sub.  So I have a hard time calling a AAA publisher "stupid" for following a proven model of financial success.   It may be safe rather than "progressive", but it's certainly far from stupid.

But let's take commercial success out of the equation.  I always say that commercial success is a crappy indicator of how good a game actually is.  That being said, even taking all the commercial flops into account, so far, I've not played a single decent  MMO that did not launch with a subscription.  

Every MMO I've played that was either B2P or Cash Shop from the start has been massively substandard.   So to me, any publisher that launches a game without sub is basically saying:  "hey, our game is trash and not worth it in the long term, so have it free".  

The world is changing and microtransactions will probably destroy the subscription model within a couple of years.  But, until at least a couple of decent games launch without a sub and prove that developers can provide the same sort of entertainment value, quality and support as sub games, I'll just go with my experience and consider those subpar, since that's what they've always been.  

And as far as calling people "freeloaders", I'm sorry if you were offended.  But if you tell me that you actually like a game and want to play it, but then tell me that you don't want to pay for it, well, i don't know what else to call you.   I too would like everything in the world to be free.  I just don't expect it to be.

- Raph Koster

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by roo67 I guess this makes everyone that plays any single player game a free loader too ? 

Please. A single player game doesn't cost anything for the developer after release. According to the crowd here, an MMO should constantly deliver new content, refine old content and have a huge staff in CS, advertizing, tech help, GMs, pluss the obvious server maintanence.  Freerider2P gamers are parasites on paying customers by definition.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Worth full box price for sure, sub not so much. From my experience with tsw the game has very bad replayabillity by design. The skill wheel being so lateral meant within a week or two I was only getting stuff I didn't want, maybe useful but not entertaining skills. I found myself constantly going back to what I was already using ar/shotty and everything else was just extra and mostly dissapointing for me. No reason to make alt's quest you can't redo for days/hours, limited quest log and limited investigations. The stories and dialogs are pretty cool but can get very wordy and aren't something that will have any sort of pay off on repeat plays. Great crafting system with little reason to use which was a shame.The game has a lot of room to grow but does the company have the resources to grow it at this point, we'll see. I relly liked the game in the same way I liked games like resident evil and bioshock, for the intrigue and mystery but those kind of games often don't get played much past completion. I think a lower sub is a must if not complete removal of said sub or this game will end up failing as well as the company. This is without even taking into account the competition at this point wwhich is pretty steep....
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by thark

You would be right ..If it wasn't for the existence of piracy..

No...The new breed of gamers are FREELOADERS for sure..

Spoiled bratz that wants everything for free...

Free betas, most kids do all the betas, and if they can't play for free, they won't buy..Most wont buy because by the 2 weeks of open beta is over it's time for the next beta in some other game,

Free to play

and Torents and piracy.

If you think you are not going to pay more than 60 $ for GW2..Well think again..the average gamer will spend hundreds in the online store, and if not, then there will be some other player that spends "for you"..

Yeah... but the difference is I'm not being forced to pay for something I already paid for... and if I don't pay a sub, then the 50 or so bucks I spent on the game itself is wasted.  It's a game I purchased that can't be used.  That's why I don't like subscription games.

Call people freeloaders all you want, but the sad fact is that I might still pay a sub for a game I find fun and engaging or that has decent combat.  TSW isn't that game.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah... but the difference is I'm not being forced to pay for something I already paid for... and if I don't pay a sub, then the 50 or so bucks I spent on the game itself is wasted.  It's a game I purchased that can't be used.  That's why I don't like subscription games.

Call people freeloaders all you want, but the sad fact is that I might still pay a sub for a game I find fun and engaging or that has decent combat.  TSW isn't that game.

I don't find anything sad about the fact that you're willing to pay for a product that entertains you.   I personaly do it on a daily basis and am quite proud of it.  Somewhere out there, a group of people has made something that brings joy to my life.  I'm happy to give them some money - both for doing it and in the hope that they do more of it in the future.  

As far as being forced.. you're never FORCED to pay.  You paid for 30 days of gaming.  You got 30 days of gaming.  If you still find the game fun - pay and play.  If you don't - you got what you paid for.   The reason that the first 30 days tend to cost $60 rather than $15 is that generally, you get a lot more out of your first month with a video game than out of any other month.  (Plus there are business reasons in terms of recouping investment, etc.)

There are about 20 different MMOs that i "bought" (as in "paid for box and 1 month")  that i can't play anymore if i don't pay the monthly fee.  Well.. i played them, i had fun in them, i got something out of the money i spent.  I decided they weren't worth playing anymore.  So i don't pay anymore.  I'm not forced to do anything.  If I change my mind and decide that "hey maybe it's worth playing after all", then I'll pony up the sub fee and play again.  But chances are, if i stopped playing the game, it's because i no longer found it fun.  And if i no longer find it fun to play, i don't really care that i can't play it anymore.

- Raph Koster