Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frustrated with GW2

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The 1st class I rolled, Was an Engineer. I had loads of fun, loved it, I figured, this is a new and exciting type of playstyle. I thought for sure, I'd found my Main. But curiosity got to me, so I rolled a Ranger. I loved it. While the overall concept of the class is nothing new, It's still a lot of fun on a traditional playstyle. I could definatley run with this one permanently. OK, I still got a couple more slots. I wonder what the others are like. I rolled a guardian. I couldn't stop playing that one until I got to about 20 and forced myself to log off and go to bed. So then, I figured, I'd take a look at some of the caster based classes, I rolled a Necro. Yeah, I loved that one too. I still have more to try and I gather that I'll have a similar experience with the others too. as it is, I'll need to buy the 3 slots.

Seriously! WTF am I supposed to do now? I can't decide on a main!

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I know a bit of your frustration as well OP.  I only got to try beta very briefly so I've been trying the different classes and races.  I keep thinking this one or that one will be my main, but then I make another one and start having fun.

Right now I'm loving my Sylvari engineer.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Play a warrior - and then you'll forget about all other crappy classes.

No way, thief rules.

Frankly does it really depend on you. But I fear I might be forced to cough up for 3 more slots.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

For Probably a year now, I'd read about many design elements being built into the game. I'd thought. "I can see why they did that, but it's probably not going to be something I'll enjoy". More and more, I'd begun to feel that way. I'd watched the videos. I wasn't overly impressed. I couldn't figure out what it was about GW2 that was pulling in so many people. I just figured it was a hype train gone out of control and that like all other games, the dust would settle and GW2 would be seen as a decent game. But nothing really all that special. 

I can admit that I was wrong.

GW2 has blown away my preconceptions and I am having as much fun in an MMO as I have ever had playing one in the past.

And at this point, I can also say it doesn' matter if this burns out quickly, even just the fun I am having now is worth the price of admission.

It really is a great game, Even after all the problems they are having.

This, for me was totally unexpected.

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    Why have one main when you can have multiple mains! It's not like you are required to play the same class all the time for a balanced raid.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I have yet to find a class I don't like. My friend had the same problem until he tried Mesmer. Great class design in my opinion though.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I keep going back and playing alts too!

Just played my Guardian again last night got him from 17 to 19.

Warrior is sitting at 31.

So hard to focus on one toon...

Which kind of sucks because I want to get 100% map completion with a single toon, but it's going to be SO hard to figure out what toon that is going to be!

I love love love dual wield Warrior, Either Axe/Sword or Sword/Sword and I love Rifle and Longbow...

But on my Guardian I love Mace+Shield and Sword+Shield but I also love Greatsword and Hammer...

I've always been melee>ranged and both classes are just... too good in too many ways for me to pick one!

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

But, i'm still having fun with other mmorpgs mustache pirate guy.

OP, why not buy more slots from the cash shop? There's no sub after all.

Also, it depends. Do you prefer close or long range? Do you like pets more or not?

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I'm trying really hard not to go back and reroll an alt.  Here's hopin... :)
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

For Probably a year now, I'd read about many design elements being built into the game. I'd thought. "I can see why they did that, but it's probably not going to be something I'll enjoy". More and more, I'd begun to feel that way. I'd watched the videos. I wasn't overly impressed. I couldn't figure out what it was about GW2 that was pulling in so many people. I just figured it was a hype train gone out of control and that like all other games, the dust would settle and GW2 would be seen as a decent game. But nothing really all that special. 

I can admit that I was wrong.

GW2 has blown away my preconceptions and I am having as much fun in an MMO as I have ever had playing one in the past.

And at this point, I can also say it doesn' matter if this burns out quickly, even just the fun I am having now is worth the price of admission.

It really is a great game, Even after all the problems they are having.

This, for me was totally unexpected.

/wipes tear from corner of eye

So happy to see you experience the "wonder of discovery" of this game (aka "The GW2 Effect")

GW2 won't be the game for everybody. But most MMO gamers given the chance really owe it to themselves to play it just to experience a really well designed game and how all the decisions come together so that the "sum is greater than the parts."

I'd love for ArcheAge and TESO to end up this well-designed too. Everybody should have the chance to experience the "masterwork" game of their preferred genre/playstyle.

Originally posted by BadSpock

I keep going back and playing alts too!

Just played my Guardian again last night got him from 17 to 19.

Warrior is sitting at 31.

So hard to focus on one toon...

Which kind of sucks because I want to get 100% map completion with a single toon, but it's going to be SO hard to figure out what toon that is going to be!

I love love love dual wield Warrior, Either Axe/Sword or Sword/Sword and I love Rifle and Longbow...

But on my Guardian I love Mace+Shield and Sword+Shield but I also love Greatsword and Hammer...

I've always been melee>ranged and both classes are just... too good in too many ways for me to pick one!

WAIT! Wait! wait!

did you say..............

dual wield Warrior?????????

OMG OMG OMG... OK, I know what i'm rolling next!

Ok, I kid, I've been meaning to try that one next anyway. I've always enjoyed DW. From my Melee Advie in AO and including my  TBC Enhancement Shaman and triple WF crits.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Play a warrior - and then you'll forget about all other crappy classes.

I do love me some Norn Warrior. That is the character I have played most but I agree with the Op. The others are a load of fun too.

• I've always played many different characters in MMO's but I usually stick to one as my "main" until I cap it out, then I'll switch.  This is the first game that I switch mains on almost a daily basis.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

WAIT! Wait! wait!

He certainly did, but his choice of weapons isn't really great at all.

Competent dual wielding warriors go Axe/Axe and Axe/Shield, so that they can double eviscerate through weapon swapping. It's the most offensively powerful combo a warrior can utilize while maintaining solid defensive capabilities through proper trait selection.

Sword/Anything is completely sub par in comparison, and if you're not building a warrior for it's offensive capabilities then there is no point in rolling a warrior over a guardian.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

GW2 sucks cuz you can't dual weild long bows.

How lame is that???  image

A theif is technically my main, but I've made a warrior, engineer, and mesmer to get all the crafting profs.  Everytime I log into them though, I'm tempted to take them for a joy ride.  image

Originally posted by Kost

WAIT! Wait! wait!

He certainly did, but his choice of weapons isn't really great at all.

Competent dual wielding warriors go Axe/Axe and Axe/Shield, so that they can double eviscerate through weapon swapping. It's the most offensively powerful combo a warrior can utilize while maintaining solid defensive capabilities through proper trait selection.

Sword/Anything is completely sub par in comparison, and if you're not building a warrior for it's offensive capabilities then there is no point in rolling a warrior over a guardian.

So, I tried the Dual Axe Warrior.

All I can say is...........o_O

Oh my!