Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How correct does everyone think the in game FPS counter is

XtenXten Member Posts: 119

i get framerates ranging between a absolute minimum (as far as i have seen) between 45fps and 80FPS (even 120FPS)

My rig:

I5 @4.5Ghz

16GB ddr3

560ti

120gb SSD

I started keeping a eye on my FPS but even when it reports 70 FPS it sure as hell does not feel and look like it but more like 25/30 FPS . This is not in my head it is very obvious. If the engine is indeed somehow rendering the frames it reports then something odd is going on with it because what i eventually get on my screen is certaintly not above 25/30 fps ,  40 fps tops i say .

I see a low framerate (to which the fps counter disagrees) and feel the slight slugishness in the controll input, we all know how to recognise this withouth a fps counter. 

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?.

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    It felt like it, it reminds me of Rift and SWTOR. Great gaming rigs and low FPS :(
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I have no reason to doubt it. The game runs smooth as silk, and hasn't stuttered once.
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

I'm averaging about 75 FPS and it's been pretty consistent the whole weekend.   The lowest I've seen is high 50's during a rather crowded and hectic event.

Specs:

i7 3770

8GB DDR3

GTX 560

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I'm running an average of 60FPS (per the options menu) with everything maxed minus supersampling (I am set to native rendering) and minus Bloom because I can't stand it.

It feels like 60 FPS to me, very smooth with no noticeable decrease in frames.

Has anybody fired up fraps or something to see how it compares to the in game fps report?

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

OP-go may want to try this:

1.  Gsme Menu, Options, Camera Rotation Speed (drag this to the far right).  This cleared up the sluggishness for me.

Hope that helps!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I see over at Guru someone posted this same question and is getting answers like the following. Seems accurate per these answers.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/48061-fps-counter-in-game-accurate/#entry1708426

10 August 2012 - 08:45 PM it is accurate

I use gamebooster's in-game fps counter, and it matches GW2's counter

so, yes 

<p desc="" lighter="" ipstype_small"="">

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by Xten

i get framerates ranging between a absolute minimum (as far as i have seen) between 45fps and 80FPS (even 120FPS)

My rig:

I5 @4.5Ghz

16GB ddr3

560ti

120gb SSD

I started keeping a eye on my FPS but even when it reports 70 FPS it sure as hell does not feel and look like it but more like 25/30 FPS . This is not in my head it is very obvious. If the engine is indeed somehow rendering the frames it reports then something odd is going on with it because what i eventually get on my screen is certaintly not above 25/30 fps ,  40 fps tops i say .

I see a low framerate (to which the fps counter disagrees) and feel the slight slugishness in the controll input, we all know how to recognise this withouth a fps counter. 

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?.

try vsync on?

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

Which drivers are you using?

I was experiencing occasional "jerkiness" even when framerates were good when using the 305.67 beta drivers from guru 3d.

Switching to the 304.79 beta drivers from Nvidia.com resolved all problems (and also pushed my average fps up by about 15-20) 

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686
    If you are running SLI try with it disabled.
  • XtenXten Member Posts: 119

Thanks for all the suggestions

Kaleb upping the camera sensitivity that was the first thing i adjusted but tha idn't turn out to be the issue.

I found the culprit tho. The moment i turned of "distansce blur" this effect i described almost disapeared. I say almost because it feels fluid like 50/60/70 or 80 fps is supposed to but there still is slight input lag that should not be there at those fps.

I have everything on high now (inc.shadows)

sampling at native (1680x1080 screen for the mo)

Turned of distance blurr (did not ntice the effect anyway with it turned on

No vsync - Vsync almost always introduced input lag and even withouth it gw2 has this for some reason which is what makes it odd, it must be something in the code.

I will add this for anyone tha is having any sort of performance issues:

Last night next to disabling the "depth blurr" option i lowered reflections from "all" to "terrain and sky" . My fps count went up about 10 fps so where it first reported 50/60 or 70/80 fps add 10. But more importantly it really feels and looks like a +30 fps game now.

Thats the thing now you see, now when it says 50 fps for instance it runs amazingly smooth and fluid and is very responsive. There seems to be something wrong in the coding when it comes to these effects.

Edit: I also set shadows back to medium , as soon as i set that to high input lag starts to slightly kick in regardless of the high fps.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I am getting 20-30fps , yet the game seems perfectly smooth to me. They really programmed it good.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    These are probably graphics card and/or driver related issues. Supposedly there are brand new NVidia drivers that help the game a lot, if you have one of those cards.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I know what you feeling, I experienced the same until I turn on Vsync, sure I drop from 85 fps to 70-75 but the tradeoff was smooth gameplay, no stuttering no tearing no flucutation fps.

btw just wondering, what gfx card do you have, nvidia or radeon?

If you have nvidia dont use 304.42, they are bugged as hell, use beta drivers like 304.79 or 306.02.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Torgrim

I know what you feeling, I experienced the same until I turn on Vsync, sure I drop from 85 fps to 70-75 but the tradeoff was smooth gameplay, no stuttering no tearing no flucutation fps.

btw just wondering, what gfx card do you have, nvidia or radeon?

If you have nvidia dont use 304.42, they are bugged as hell, use beta drivers like 304.79 or 306.02.

I was using the .79 drivers on a 560ti.

turning on v-sync increased the delay but not by much.v-sync always introduces a delay but only starts to become noticable at under and near 30 fps. Im using the 306.02 beta drivers right now and my performance is a lot better now and the delay basically gone. With the new betas im getting anywhere between 60 and 120fps and it usually feels like it so that is good. I use V-sync in pve but still disable it for PvP but that has nothing to do with gw2, i always do that as it is by definition always more responsive. I am enjoying the game a lot more now after this driver update.  It is a nice driver to upgrade to if you have a 560ti but if anyone has a 6x card i'd say check it out but you might run into problems.