Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welp back to WoW....

So, I got to 80 in GW2, dinked around in WvW, did some sPvP, and I think I'm done. Chasing achievements doesn't do it for me, and despite what people say, there is a grind at the end of GW2; you just don't get much out of it. I only imagine there will be many more people like me in the coming months. It seems like lack of endgame might hurt them after all. Who woulda thought?

Comments

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88

Enjoy the bamboo , and dont let the door hit yer ass on the way out.

You are at top level in less than a week , you probably didnt sea tenth of what the game has to offer.

Chasing achievements didnt do it for me either and that all i found to be available in WoW or PvP , which was a pile of garbage when i left a year/half ago.

[mod edit]

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    MMORPG.com's The Pub is now for blogs, it seems.
  • iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152
    So it's the end game now? Because during beta you said it was the controls that had you not wanting to play. Or is it both? Or do you like the controls now? Or will it be something else next week?
  • noseforautonoseforauto Member Posts: 46

Well, at least I was smart enough to get out while I could still get a refund. I just feel sorry for the people that are going to realize it too late. Blizzard isn't stupid, and they are going to adapt as the genre changes. That's why they've managed to stay on top, and will continue to. They already smashed GW1, and they're going to do the same to GW2. It's funny how WoW is going to outlast both of them, despite there being a 7-year gap in their releases. LOL

Originally posted by noseforauto

Well, at least I was smart enough to get out while I could still get a refund. I just feel sorry for the people that are going to realize it too late. Blizzard isn't stupid, and they are going to adapt as the genre changes. That's why they've managed to stay on top, and will continue to. They already smashed GW1, and they're going to do the same to GW2. It's funny how WoW is going to outlast both of them, despite there being a 7-year gap in their releases. LOL

I find your desire to pit two games against each other when they're not in direct competition (or even two games in general) funny.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

So, I got to 80 in GW2, dinked around in WvW, did some sPvP, and I think I'm done. Chasing achievements doesn't do it for me, and despite what people say, there is a grind at the end of GW2; you just don't get much out of it. I only imagine there will be many more people like me in the coming months. It seems like lack of endgame might hurt them after all. Who woulda thought?

can i have your copy of gw2/account then?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

I also suspect there will be more people like you. That being people who rush through the game without taking the time to enjoy the experience. If you swallow a strawberry in one gulp, you'll never know how sweet it is...and you'll probably choke to death. My guess is that for some reason you feel that the best stuff is always in the "end-game" so you rush to get there all the time. Anybody could have told you that gw2 is not that type of game, and this point has been made clear many a time. 

Anyway, you seem very much like the WoW type, perhaps you should stick to that game for the rest of the duration of your gaming life instead of learning to enjoy new experiences. 

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

How do you figure you are done, bypassing 99% of the content?

Originally posted by SkullyWoods I also suspect there will be more people like you. That being people who rush through the game without taking the time to enjoy the experience. If you swallow a strawberry in one gulp, you'll never know how sweet it is...and you'll probably choke to death. My guess is that for some reason you feel that the best stuff is always in the "end-game" so you rush to get there all the time. Anybody could have told you that gw2 is not that type of game, and this point has been made clear many a time.  Anyway, you seem very much like the WoW type, perhaps you should stick to that game for the rest of the duration of your gaming life instead of learning to enjoy new experiences. 

GW2 is totally a "rush to the end" type of game. It's pretty much the same as WoW. All you do is busy work for NPCs until you hit max. The only difference is that GW2 stops there. The DEs are quite overrated. Admittedly, they are better than regular quests, but not so much better that it makes it worth it, considering how much harder they are to make, and how much longer they take. It's going to be a long, long time before you see any more content for that game. GW2 still has the carrot that you chase, it's just not a very good one. You get gear that doesn't make you any better, but you're still supposed to grind for it. It's funny how people have delusioned themselves into thinking that it's totally different.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I have a Guardian at level 22 and a couple other characters below level 10.. I already feel the grind. Running all over the map hoping to hit an active DE with a whole lot of nothing in between ( no dungeons before level 30!?! c'mon now! ) on top of waiting for days for the one DE to become active that actually offers a reward worth having isnt going to keep me wanting to go on for much longer.

I also dislike how so much of the combat centers around AoEs. 

Even though there are many players around each event the game still feels anti social and impersonal. Then I wonder whats going to happen to  these events when thee playerbase thins out and spreads out over levels 1-80. I remember the PQs in WAR were pretty nice until there werent enough players around to do them and it could happen with GW2 but at least most here are soloable with terrible rewards to boot.

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30
    The Pandas will be happy to see you :)

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by noseforauto So, I got to 80 in GW2, dinked around in WvW, did some sPvP, and I think I'm done. Chasing achievements doesn't do it for me, and despite what people say, there is a grind at the end of GW2; you just don't get much out of it. I only imagine there will be many more people like me in the coming months. It seems like lack of endgame might hurt them after all. Who woulda thought?
    How do you figure you are done, bypassing 99% of the content?

How often do people do all of the content in a game before they quite? I'd say not very many. Plus, I see no point in doing lower level DEs. They all feel pretty much the same. Kill these, collect those, protect them. I mean, what more is there to experience? I've seen enough to know that they don't vary all that much.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Well if you are down with a good old fashioned raping of your wallet, there is an alternative to WoW and pandas.

I hear SWTOR is releasing content on a monthly basis (coming soon).  They have about as much to offer as WoW.. I heard it from the EA forum shills.  They even have pets!

Gotta Catch 'Em All!...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

GW2 is totally a "rush to the end" type of game. It's pretty much the same as WoW. All you do is busy work for NPCs until you hit max. The only difference is that GW2 stops there. The DEs are quite overrated. Admittedly, they are better than regular quests, but not so much better that it makes it worth it, considering how much harder they are to make, and how much longer they take. It's going to be a long, long time before you see any more content for that game. GW2 still has the carrot that you chase, it's just not a very good one. You get gear that doesn't make you any better, but you're still supposed to grind for it. It's funny how people have delusioned themselves into thinking that it's totally different.

Good thing GW2 doesn't have a subscription fee to pay while you wait for that conent, huh? It's not like WoW went a good half year without new content (Hour of Twilight was released in November 2011even while your paying sub fees. And that's after Blizzard promised to bring content at a faster pace. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Hmm, not really buying this.  You hate grinding but want endgame?  That's all endgame is - the game comes to a screetchign halt then you do the same crap for weeks and months.

By the way, you already said in another thread (back around 8/10) that you preferred WoW anyway.  Not sure the reason to start a whole thread about it.  Play what you like.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Grunch

Originally posted by noseforauto So, I got to 80 in GW2, dinked around in WvW, did some sPvP, and I think I'm done. Chasing achievements doesn't do it for me, and despite what people say, there is a grind at the end of GW2; you just don't get much out of it. I only imagine there will be many more people like me in the coming months. It seems like lack of endgame might hurt them after all. Who woulda thought?
    [mod edit]

I won some; I lost some. About average, really. I don't pride myself on it. It's a fun distraction, but in the end it can get just as grindy as PvE. I mean, if you're running the same map, with the same character umpteen times, how is that any different than running a dungeon umpteen times?

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

[mod edit]

I won some; I lost some. About average, really. I don't pride myself on it. It's a fun distraction, but in the end it can get just as grindy as PvE. I mean, if you're running the same map, with the same character umpteen times, how is that any different than running a dungeon umpteen times?

First off the game is called GUILD Wars so that implies pvp imo. Second, the difference between running maps and dungeons is when you fight players you can get different outcomes everytime. You should give it about 8 more months before to decide to shelve the game.

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• nine56nine56 Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Can I have your stuff?

Originally posted by nine56 Can I have your stuff?

I would normally, but I refunded the game, because I purchased it fewer than 30 days ago.

[mod edit]
    First off the game is called GUILD Wars so that implies pvp imo. Second, the difference between running maps and dungeons is when you fight players you can get different outcomes everytime. You should give it about 8 more months before to decide to shelve the game.

PvE also has various results. Battles go down differently every time. PvP and PvE just have different dynamics. PvE is about perfecting a strategy, and PvP is more about twitch and on-the-fly decisions. It's different strokes for different folks. Not to mention that the game IS called Guild Wars, yet guilds seem to be a pretty small aspect of it, and I suspect that being able to to join multiple guilds will bite them in the ass. Guild loyalty will be a complete thing of the past. GW2 is probably the most anti-social game I've ever seen.

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by SkullyWoods I also suspect there will be more people like you. That being people who rush through the game without taking the time to enjoy the experience. If you swallow a strawberry in one gulp, you'll never know how sweet it is...and you'll probably choke to death. My guess is that for some reason you feel that the best stuff is always in the "end-game" so you rush to get there all the time. Anybody could have told you that gw2 is not that type of game, and this point has been made clear many a time.  Anyway, you seem very much like the WoW type, perhaps you should stick to that game for the rest of the duration of your gaming life instead of learning to enjoy new experiences. 

I'll go ahead and humor you one more time. 

First of all, NO GAME is a rush to the end type of game, especially not rpg's. Rpg's are specifically made for immersion and dev's go to great lengths to give you an immersive world. I haven't even played gw2 yet and I can already see from the coverage that this is one of the most immersive games available right now. I believe Anet's goal was largely to combat the mentality that you have which is that the fun factor should come from getting the biggest and best stuff and having the strongest character.

You're complaining about grinding for weapons that don't give an advantage because you are too used to that being the focus of your game experience whereas Anet is trying to take their game in a different direction. Nobody is delusioned about this game's innovation, you are simply too stuck in the same mmo game style to realise a new way to play. If anyone is delusioned it's you for believing all mmo's should follow a set pattern instead of breaking away to give players an original experience.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Yes, yes, we know the drill. You won't be alone anyway. You and many others that will follow suit aren't really the type of people who would appreciate the way GW2 is designed in the first place. You say you hate it but you really don't mind the grind (because you're going back to WoW). At least you gave ANet your money. Thanks for the support.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Rushed to max level, crying that you didn't see the games content, and came to a forum to complain. You sir are what we call a locust. You need to slow down and actually enjoy the game. Rushing to max level is only hurting yourself, as you can see. I suggest sticking with single player games. You will enjoy them more and not bring down others.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    I do not understand the logic of rushing to level cap in any game and then saying "i'm done."
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Sephiroso
    can i have your copy of gw2/account then?

Apparently, according to him, he got a refund after hitting level 80. I don't think he has his account anymore...

Well, at least I was smart enough to get out while I could still get a refund.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR