Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will they ever implement features from SWG?

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Robsolf

snip

And even considering SWTOR's failings, it still has more subs in its current condition than SWG had on its best day.  And yes, I did like pre-NGE SWG and had subbed for about 2 years before the NGE drove me away.  In all honesty though, I had one foot out the door when NGE launched.  It was the icing on the cake.

Whatever a person may think of SWTOR, there's no reason whatsoever for BW to consider making the game more like SWG.  A loyal 100-200k subscribers will not keep the game afloat.

I wonder whether SWTOR does have more subs today than SWG had on its best day though.

I believe that EA gave the 500k-1M as of 31st July knowing how many 6 month subs were likely to drop. The first people to renew have now had to decide whether to renew or now but I don't think we can say for sure that it has 500k subs anymore. It probably does but ..... your statement made me stop and think.

Will a loyal 100k-200k subs keep the game afloat? EA probably have to run the game anyway for 2 or 3 years so it probably doesn't matter. I can't see Bioware trying to make the game more like SWG though even with 100k-200k subs though simply because they won't be spending any money on it. 

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

I seriously cant understand why all the hate surfaces from PRE-CU players when SWG is mentioned.

Personally, i loved the game as it was in the end with all its enormous contents and diversity.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by ktanner3 Originally posted by noncley Originally posted by ktanner3 Originally posted by lizardbones SWG is dead, it will not return. There will not be a SWG2. SWToR will not get any SWG features on purpose.
    This. TOR was never designed to be like SWG. I miss the PRE-NGE SWG too, but it's best to just face reality. It's never coming back. Ever. 
    It's defeatists like you that killed the game. Yes I know, it's always the player's fault for a game's failures. So sorry for not supporting a company that gave it's playerbase the big shaft. I voted with my wallet, as did many others. That was our right as consumers. Even bigwigs like Jon Smedley now admit the game was killed by 'incredibly poor decisions'. And it took the game shutting down for him to realize that, but okay... One day, some software company is going to get a cheap licence from LA to run 'that old tretro game, SWG' and then we'll be back in business. But, really, you'd hate that, wouldn't you? Why would I hate a game I like coming back? I just don't think it's going to happen. Sue me for being realistic. And remember: there'll never be any more Futurama or Arrested Development or Coke Classic or VW Beetle or Sherlock Holmes... Oh wait, they ALL came back. Coke Classic is not really the old coke forumal so sorry to burst your bubble. Sherlock Hoimes never died so I don't know where you're getting at . Don't really care about the rest and don't see how a few exceptions is relevant. 

I am sorry, you're just going to have to get over it. SWTOR was an inferior game and failed quickly and decislvely - and its failure makes the return of SWG all the more likely.

And you really think 'Sherlock Holmes never died'? Boy, who educated you?

Other than the IP, what is the connection between SWG and SWToR? If SWToR folded up today, never to be seen again, what is the relation between SWG and SWToR that would cause SWG to suddenly spawn back into existence? Answer, there is no relation between the two games.

There is no connection between SWG and SWToR, other than the IP. The only causal relationship that exists between them is that SWG was shutdown because SWToR was coming out. It was a temporary relationship and that's done. If SWToR shuts down tomorrow, there's on reason SWG would be started up again. If SWG starts up again, the reasons won't have anything to do with SWToR.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by IG-88

I seriously cant understand why all the hate surfaces from PRE-CU players when SWG is mentioned.

Personally, i loved the game as it was in the end with all its enormous contents and diversity.

For really, the same exact reasoning that TOR is now getting all the hate as well.  To a lesser extent, CU, and then a large extent with NGE and C6CD SOE tried to remake SWG into a WoW clone.  Some of the exact same NGE developers that were hired by SOE Austin took jobs with BioWare Austin and then went off to make the ultimate WoW clone and the "perfect NGE", uhhhh, TOR.  The same exact MMORPG failure occured only larger this time as TOR had more hype and had more box-buying playerbase to lose.  History repeated itself only in a larger context this time.

I played SWG in all it's incarnations as well and I would believe your correct, SWG post NGE and C6CD was a better game, IMHO, than TOR.  The problem is/was, it was much better in previous states and that is what your seeing here mentioned via past players.

Dan Rubenfield, if your still reading things like this, you can see now that "it was the CHANGES" and not just the way the CHANGES were done.  If anyone wants to play WoW and the features it offers, they will play WoW and not a knock-off.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I am sorry, you're just going to have to get over it.

Get over what? I'm not the one jumping down someone's throat over a disagreement. You are. If TOR folded up tomorrow it wouldn't bother me one bit. I had my fun with it already. 

SWTOR was an inferior game and failed quickly and decislvely - and its failure makes the return of SWG all the more likely.

If that wishful thinking makes you happy then fine. Just remember that not everyone has to share in your fantasy land. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• MassamoMassamo Member UncommonPosts: 6
    just payed for another 6 months of swtor will i pay again yes i will
  • MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Other than the IP, what is the connection between SWG and SWToR? 

LUCASARTS.

Licenses come, licenses go.

Someone needs to make SWG2, and I hope it's not Bioware

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by ktanner3

It's defeatists like you that killed the game. Yes I know, it's always the player's fault for a game's failures. So sorry for not supporting a company that gave it's playerbase the big shaft. I voted with my wallet, as did many others. That was our right as consumers. Even bigwigs like Jon Smedley now admit the game was killed by 'incredibly poor decisions'. And it took the game shutting down for him to realize that, but okay... One day, some software company is going to get a cheap licence from LA to run 'that old tretro game, SWG' and then we'll be back in business. But, really, you'd hate that, wouldn't you? Why would I hate a game I like coming back? I just don't think it's going to happen. Sue me for being realistic. And remember: there'll never be any more Futurama or Arrested Development or Coke Classic or VW Beetle or Sherlock Holmes... Oh wait, they ALL came back. Coke Classic is not really the old coke forumal so sorry to burst your bubble. Sherlock Hoimes never died so I don't know where you're getting at . Don't really care about the rest and don't see how a few exceptions is relevant. 

I am sorry, you're just going to have to get over it. SWTOR was an inferior game and failed quickly and decislvely - and its failure makes the return of SWG all the more likely.

And you really think 'Sherlock Holmes never died'? Boy, who educated you?

Other than the IP, what is the connection between SWG and SWToR? If SWToR folded up today, never to be seen again, what is the relation between SWG and SWToR that would cause SWG to suddenly spawn back into existence? Answer, there is no relation between the two games.

There is no connection between SWG and SWToR, other than the IP. The only causal relationship that exists between them is that SWG was shutdown because SWToR was coming out. It was a temporary relationship and that's done. If SWToR shuts down tomorrow, there's on reason SWG would be started up again. If SWG starts up again, the reasons won't have anything to do with SWToR.

This. TOR is basically KOTOR online. That is what it was advertised as and that is what we got. Anyone thinking that SWG's return hinges on TOR's success or failure is only setting themselves up for dissapointment. Sorry if that rains on anyone's parade but it's the truth. Get over it and move on already. It's just a game. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Misaris

Or will bring Lucasarts SWG back and revamp it to SWG 2 ?

I´m really missing JTL space combat, housing, open world feel and day/night change in TOR.

TOR should have been a hybrid of SWG/TOR to really be great.. unfortunately it did not work out

Sure.....

When hell freezes over, maybe.

lol.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by IG-88

Alot of SWG time was invested by the PreCU players, when they implemented that God awful NGE, the new NGE players didn't even know what the PreCU players were complaining about. It became a civil war amoung players so we all know who won that war. 'NGE playerbase, SOE and Lucas'.

I played for a solid 2 years (2003-2005) till they killed my SWG totally. So just think of it, playing the same game for a solid 2 years and SOE / Lucas just changing the game on you without proper introduction. It was a DISASTER! So many PreCU SWG players of that time left in a big Exodus. Alot just gave up on MMO's and the other moved on to other games including WoW.

However that is my story and what I witnessed when my SWG died on November 2005.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones Other than the IP, what is the connection between SWG and SWToR? 
    LUCASARTS.

Why does SWG2 need to get made? What reason would a developer have for making the game? Where are the indicators that SWG2 would make any money? Two SW MMORPG have been made and two SW MMORPG have been disappointments.

My point is that there's no relation between SWG & SWToR, other than the point in time where releasing SWToR caused SWG to be closed. It doesn't matter what happens to SWToR from this point forward, it has no bearing on another SW game. Except...if SWToR performs even worse than it has so far, it makes the odds of another SW MMORG even weaker.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I have to agree with Lizard Bones.

Even if you are a huge sandbox proponent, it's really time for MMO developers to revisit the strategy of licensing a popular IP and Frankensteining it into an game.

Why give Lucas Arts 35% of your profit, force their IP into a working game mechanic being hamstrung with LA having veto power over all game descions, and then have them constantly looking over your shoulder. Lucas Arts can't even seem to keep their own affairs in order let alone someone elses. The idea that Sony would look to do business again with LA after having their licesnse pulled seems unlikely.

There seems to be a rather long list of developers who licensed an IP for initial box sales, only to have the game underperform shortly thereaster. Warhammer, GW studios, DCUO DC, LOTRO - Tolkein estate, etc.

Blizzard, love them or hate them, use their own IP. (Derivative as you may think it is). Final Fantasy had the freedom to can their own game for reworking. I have a feeling Zenimax is probably going to learn this the hard way with TESO.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by lizardbones Other than the IP, what is the connection between SWG and SWToR? 
    LUCASARTS.

Why does SWG2 need to get made? What reason would a developer have for making the game? Where are the indicators that SWG2 would make any money? Two SW MMORPG have been made and two SW MMORPG have been disappointments.

My point is that there's no relation between SWG & SWToR, other than the point in time where releasing SWToR caused SWG to be closed. It doesn't matter what happens to SWToR from this point forward, it has no bearing on another SW game. Except...if SWToR performs even worse than it has so far, it makes the odds of another SW MMORG even weaker.

Yeah but it is more likely to happen than not (another SW MMO that is). Someone will get a bug up their butt and decide they can do it. It may not be anything good, but someone will try again.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No will they fuck

You've for the most corporate owner, coupled with a story heavy sprpg developer, that make the most corridor games ever
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

this whole "swg" thing has been about pride with bioware and it has cost them dearly.

they specifically said they were not doing anything close to or near anything related to swg. They ignored just about every aspect of swg suggestions to make a point.

players ships, could had been housing.

crafting..

space combat

just those three examples could have incorporated some real sandbox elements. THey didn't do that. Bioware thought we wanted a static lifeless world, an instanced within an instance with an instance game, we wanted them to tell our story, not us tell our story, and we wanted to play starfox. 

This game could be fixed so very easily if the people who developed it realized they were selfish in thinking they knew what we wanted.

Non linked auction house, engine that doesnt run on very specific processors, zero anything to do after the ZOMG STORY ends. This game suffers becasue the developers dont realize what makes the game. US not THEM.

i follow this game hoping it will be a wakeup call for developers, that they can realize that what they want us to play and what we want to play are two different things. I would have enjoyed the swtor story just as much without the cutscenes and voiceovers. However, i would have continued to play your game if you invested all those voice over and cutscense when i hit 50 instead of level 10.

back to point, swg wasnt a great game. it had great ideas that bioware should ahve realized and didn't so you are stuck playing wow with lightstabers, blasters, and 10% of what wow offers in terms of functionality.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Demmi77

this whole "swg" thing has been about pride with bioware and it has cost them dearly.

they specifically said they were not doing anything close to or near anything related to swg. They ignored just about every aspect of swg suggestions to make a point.

crafting..

space combat

just those three examples could have incorporated some real sandbox elements. THey didn't do that. Bioware thought we wanted a static lifeless world, an instanced within an instance with an instance game, we wanted them to tell our story, not us tell our story, and we wanted to play starfox. 

This game could be fixed so very easily if the people who developed it realized they were selfish in thinking they knew what we wanted.

Non linked auction house, engine that doesnt run on very specific processors, zero anything to do after the ZOMG STORY ends. This game suffers becasue the developers dont realize what makes the game. US not THEM.

i follow this game hoping it will be a wakeup call for developers, that they can realize that what they want us to play and what we want to play are two different things. I would have enjoyed the swtor story just as much without the cutscenes and voiceovers. However, i would have continued to play your game if you invested all those voice over and cutscense when i hit 50 instead of level 10.

back to point, swg wasnt a great game. it had great ideas that bioware should ahve realized and didn't so you are stuck playing wow with lightstabers, blasters, and 10% of what wow offers in terms of functionality.

This "Attitude" of BioWare's is the number one point of discontent I have with BioWare. If they want to have that attitude they don't want me as a customer.

SWG, no matter what happened, did have some features that any Dev Team should look at and consider. Problem is that many Devs don't seem to want to take the time to do so since the NGE. Afraid of getting burned I guess.

Truth is it is an irrational fear. Enough said.

By trying to completely avoid anything too much like SWG, they in fact created a game most SW fans don't want to play. How ironic and how sad.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

crafting..

space combat

This "Attitude" of BioWare's is the number one point of discontent I have with BioWare. If they want to have that attitude they don't want me as a customer.

SWG, no matter what happened, did have some features that any Dev Team should look at and consider. Problem is that many Devs don't seem to want to take the time to do so since the NGE. Afraid of getting burned I guess.

Truth is it is an irrational fear. Enough said.

By trying to completely avoid anything too much like SWG, they in fact created a game most SW fans don't want to play. How ironic and how sad.

you tldr'd me, thank you. couldn't have said it more perfect.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

/agree

It cost EA very dearly.  So dearly in fact that I went to their competitors for entertainment.  While at my local retailer today, I browsed around and picked up a Command and Conquer collectors game with all the series in the franchise, some of which I didn't play.  Then my eyes were drawn to the big EA in the lower right and I put it right back down.  I read the box desciption for The Secret World for a little bit.  I knew ahead of time that this was an EA game, but just wanted to see what the box said.  Needless to say I put that back down too.

There was a single copy of Guild Wars 2 left, so I bought that instead.  It plays really good, although the controls and game mechanics get some getting used to.  Whether it's a great game or not, time will tell.  But EA lost money, because their deceit "cost them dearly."

SWTOR's mutilation of the Hero engine was their #1 downfall, IMO.  Any other complaints take 2nd row.  10 fps in a small 10vs10 PVP encounter on a machine that handles 100 players on other games without problems?  Pish pish .. SWTOR is <insert substandard derogatory word here, of your choice>.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.