Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My tolerance for a bad launch is relative to the quality and fun of a game...

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

...and I have to say, while GW2 has had obvious issues the sheer quality of the game allows me to forgive it. Only a fool would pretend things have been perfect, but neither have they been the horror shows the trolls, professional shills, and fanbois of other games would let others believe.

SWTOR or Rift, as examples, would not have gained the same tolerance from me, simply because they were (IMO) not good games to start with. (though Rift has matured really nicely... I would prolly be playing it now if not for GW2).

I can honestly see myself playing this game a long time though, and I am sure that any issues will be nailed soon. The community in game, at least on my server, is amazingly upbeat and philisophical about it all, especially for a gamer community which is usually about tantrums and being a dick revelling in the misfortune of others. It's quite suprising really.

Anyhow... what's the point of this thread? Just spreading the sunshine :)

Lets use it for more now I have made it though... post some screen shots and lets see what you have been up to.

Comments

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    SW:TOR's launch was stupid. That pissed me off so badly. GW2 was fun. No server queues and relitively smooth servers.
  • tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    The only disconnects I've had are from the patches kicking me off, heh. Been a superb ride so far, I can't stop playing. Best MMO I've ever played to be honest, it's been years since I've been able to enjoy an MMO this much. ArenaNet restoring the goodness back into MMO's! :D
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by tachgb
    The only disconnects I've had are from the patches kicking me off, heh. Been a superb ride so far, I can't stop playing. Best MMO I've ever played to be honest, it's been years since I've been able to enjoy an MMO this much. ArenaNet restoring the goodness back into MMO's! :D

I know, loving it myself :)

C'mon though... screen shots please. Don't be lazy :D

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Define relative, 2 massive downtimes in Europe, constant restarts, lag issues during some small fights while big fights go smooth (indicating the lag is a server issue, not peoples connection) and can't login in again.

Mail down and up more times then a JoJo, Auction house still missing in action. No forum. Guild chat having issues.

There have been FAR worse launches but for European players especially, mainting this launch is the best ever (as some do claim), that is just showing you either picked the worsed MMO's in history to play before or you are a bit of a fanboy.

And the thing about fanboys... SWTOR and AOIN had them too. Hell, TSW had people claiming it was the best MMO ever. 

I found all these game enjoyable enough to play for longer and shorter periods of time but none of them were perfect by any means. It is one thing to think your soccer team has a real shot at the championship, it is another thing to truly belief that your attacker can kick a ball into orbit and his touch will cure cancer.

The really annoying thing? Auction house code should be sorted by now. Next game, just ask Ebay to write it for you. Same with mail and chat. this is basic stuff that should have been finished in the first year of development. I can see how a massive 3D engine with deforming terrain and massive battles is hard to get right. But IRC chat? That was perfected 30 years ago.

JUST USE IRC FOR CHAT! It works. It is free. IT WORKS!

ARGH!

Nope, still can't login. THIS is the biggest killed. They KNOW they got issues each time they bring the game down, so why not just keep the patches that don't fix anything important off for a while and just wait till the initial rush is over. 3 minutes warning you are going to the thrown out of a dungeon or massive event is just very bad customer relations.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Oh, took this a few monents ago before patch went up, just managed to defeat it before getting kicked off. :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/Honelith/shadowbehemoth2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/Honelith/shadowbehemoth1.jpg

Amazing fight and loot! :D

Originally posted by sfc1971

Define relative

Well, if I have made the statement that the relative is according to my enjoyment, then I have alrteady defined it.

I am enjoying the game a lot, so I have tolerance for the launch hiccups.

Originally posted by tachgb
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Oh, took this a few monents ago before patch went up, just managed to defeat it before getting kicked off. :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/Honelith/shadowbehemoth2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g168/Honelith/shadowbehemoth1.jpg

Amazing fight and loot! :D

Nice:D

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by sfc1971

Define relative, 2 massive downtimes in Europe, constant restarts, lag issues during some small fights while big fights go smooth (indicating the lag is a server issue, not peoples connection) and can't login in again.

Mail down and up more times then a JoJo, Auction house still missing in action. No forum. Guild chat having issues.

There have been FAR worse launches but for European players especially, mainting this launch is the best ever (as some do claim), that is just showing you either picked the worsed MMO's in history to play before or you are a bit of a fanboy.

And the thing about fanboys... SWTOR and AOIN had them too. Hell, TSW had people claiming it was the best MMO ever. 

I found all these game enjoyable enough to play for longer and shorter periods of time but none of them were perfect by any means. It is one thing to think your soccer team has a real shot at the championship, it is another thing to truly belief that your attacker can kick a ball into orbit and his touch will cure cancer.

The really annoying thing? Auction house code should be sorted by now. Next game, just ask Ebay to write it for you. Same with mail and chat. this is basic stuff that should have been finished in the first year of development. I can see how a massive 3D engine with deforming terrain and massive battles is hard to get right. But IRC chat? That was perfected 30 years ago.

JUST USE IRC FOR CHAT! It works. It is free. IT WORKS!

ARGH!

Nope, still can't login. THIS is the biggest killed. They KNOW they got issues each time they bring the game down, so why not just keep the patches that don't fix anything important off for a while and just wait till the initial rush is over. 3 minutes warning you are going to the thrown out of a dungeon or massive event is just very bad customer relations.

When everything went down Saturday morning... some of us were still playing in the states.  Like 4 people in queendale trying to do the DEs.  Maybe they kept a few people in for testing purposes?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I feel the same way. The WvsWvsW ques and the AH/Mail being down would be much more untolerable if the rest of the game wasn't absolutely perfect. I've had 0 problems with the game other than those two things.

My Warrior below.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1435/gw094g.jpg

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I understand the OP, if a game deserves it, I am generally more patient, and GW2 is a good game.

Having said that, my patience is running low.

Between the Headstart and today, I haven't played too much due to the Login problems, plus the Trade Post (AH) never worked since launch.

GW2 is the best Themepark of the last 7 years hands down, the launch though is one of the worst bar AoC, Vanguard and AO.

They really needs to fix this, even SWTOR had a better launch.

• aedrosaedros Member Posts: 14

agree....no mmorpg launch has ever been perfect, lets face it , we as people are not perfect, so dont expect anything else in this world to be perfect......every game even years after launch has downtime,patches,issues, so some downtime here and there is not a huge thing.....

for those complaining about the mail system , if you paid attention and read the updates, they are keeping it down on purpose to save many people of their own stupidity replying to random emails and resetting their passwords, mail system down means those hijacked accounts cant be cleared out and have items sent to mule accounts.....

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    OP that seems very reasonable to me.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Yeah it seems people are willing to put up with GW2 despite all the problems they are having. These kind of problems would have had most people heading for the exit's already in any other game. It's baffling to see how forgiving the community seems to be in Arenanet's case.
  • kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Agreed. All the hickups and especially the mailing and trading post being down (leaving no way to trade whatsoever) would be game-breaking to me in any other MMO.

For some reason in GW2 it's a MINOR annoyance.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Atlan99
    Yeah it seems people are willing to put up with GW2 despite all the problems they are having. These kind of problems would have had most people heading for the exit's already in any other game. It's baffling to see how forgiving the community seems to be in Arenanet's case.

As already stated, it's mostly because the game is fun.  I could take or leave games like WAR or SWTOR and probably forget to come back, they didn't blow me away.

Otherwise, unlike these other companies, I don't think ANet expected this and it didn't arise from laziness or cheapness; they're still the deserving group of devs I've come to know and respect.  I wouldn't bail on a friend, so why should I bail on ANet?  Once things are fixed, it'll be even better.  Hopefully that's soon.. some people's patience is not as far-reaching as my own.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Tayah

I feel the same way. The WvsWvsW ques and the AH/Mail being down would be much more untolerable if the rest of the game wasn't absolutely perfect. I've had 0 problems with the game other than those two things.

My Warrior below.

That is an awesome looking warrior, what armor is that?

I'll have to find out how to get my Necro posted on here when I get home now :)

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think it's seen as less of a deal because the game itself is really good and is keeping people busy. Plus, weapons and armor drop from mobs all the time that are mostly fine (blue) quality. Now, time is ticking as more get high level and are looking to offload to the broker or are looking for mats. Right now though I think people are being kept busy enough and don't really care.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Wolvards
    Originally posted by Tayah

My Warrior below.

That is an awesome looking warrior, what armor is that?

I'll have to find out how to get my Necro posted on here when I get home now :)

I'm not sure, but I think the more noticeable parts of that armor set are from HoM rewards.  I know the flaming gauntlets are.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

My biggest beef with the game so far is all the banning going on.  Of course people need to be banned if they're purposely doing or saying something completely over the line.  But I learned today that alot of my guild got banned for buying level 60 yellows for 21 karma.  Even though some of them were using the mystic forge to exploit it it's still Anet's fault for the price and they shouldn't take the heat like that.  Just take re-do the price and take the weapons back, why ban?

I'm sure the whole guild would have left the game by now, just for that if it was any game besides GW2.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by kDeviL

My biggest beef with the game so far is all the banning going on.  Of course people need to be banned if they're purposely doing or saying something completely over the line.  But I learned today that alot of my guild got banned for buying level 60 yellows for 21 karma.  Even though some of them were using the mystic forge to exploit it it's still Anet's fault for the price and they shouldn't take the heat like that.  Just take re-do the price and take the weapons back, why ban?

I'm sure the whole guild would have left the game by now, just for that if it was any game besides GW2.

Yes they made a mistake and made it 21 karma instead of whatever it should have been. People should have reported it instead of exploiting it.

The perma ban I am completely okay with but they should also perman ban botters too, not temp ban them.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Atlan99

It's pretty much simple, the ones that complained about the other mmo's prior to GW2 release are going to stick to their guns and praise this game even if it was delayed for another month and say ANET is trying to work out the kinks for a smooth launch. I already know the posters that either insulted or put down the other mmo's prior to GW2 release and believe me, there are plenty of them and they complain agaisnt the haters hating their game of choice.

Let's face it, GW2 wasn't a perfect launch and no matter how much of a GW2 fanatic player you are, you can always shove that GW2 wasn't a smooth launch at all and it all started with the early headstart this past Saturday. Some players even wanted compensastion since the early headstart, wasn't a early headstart for them.

Now I am not trying to cause trouble towards the game simply because I am playing it, however lets face the facts, it wasn't as smooth as Rift, SWToR or TSW. To some it might be a better game than those other 3. But far from a smooth launch. I even waited till Tuesday hoping ANET would have all the bugs squashed by the 28th.

As stated, if it was any other MMO, people would be crying, spitting, swearing and even propaganda against the the title saying 'There is no excuse for this type of launch, the developers had plenty of time to get it right for launch'. This game is a failure where do I get my refund."

The only reason aren't pissing and moaning is becuase their is no monthly sub fee, but if it did have one, all hell would have broken lose by now.

Now if I insulted GW2 fan, don't take it personally, I do like the game so far, but I call it as it is and what I have witnessed.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Was it the 72 hour or perma? The gross exploiting were the ones perma banned. The problem with letting those go is that ANet already knows those people won't report exploits but abuse them further. Yes, ANet created the problem but I know each one of your guildies knew it wasn't supposed to be that cheap.

I guess people now know how tight of a ship ANet has and monitors.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

It's pretty much simple, the ones that complained about the other mmo's prior to GW2 release are going to stick to their guns and praise this game even if it was delayed for another month and say ANET is trying to work out the kinks for a smooth launch. I already know the posters that either insulted or put down the other mmo's prior to GW2 release and believe me, there are plenty of them and they complain agaisnt the haters hating their game of choice.

Let's face it, GW2 wasn't a perfect launch and no matter how much of a GW2 fanatic player you are, you can always shove that GW2 wasn't a smooth launch at all and it all started with the early headstart this past Saturday. Some players even wanted compensastion since the early headstart, wasn't a early headstart for them.

Now I am not trying to cause trouble towards the game simply because I am playing it, however lets face the facts, it wasn't as smooth as Rift, SWToR or TSW. To some it might be a better game than those other 3. But far from a smooth launch. I even waited till Tuesday hoping ANET would have all the bugs squashed by the 28th.

As stated, if it was any other MMO, people would be crying, spitting, swearing and even propaganda against the the title saying 'There is no excuse for this type of launch, the developers had plenty of time to get it right for launch'. This game is a failure where do I get my refund."

The only reason aren't pissing and moaning is becuase their is no monthly sub fee, but if it did have one, all hell would have broken lose by now.

Now if I insulted GW2 fan, don't take it personally, I do like the game so far, but I call it as it is and what I have witnessed.

Actually, it was really close to TOR is smothness. 

Rift did indeed launch better, while Trion isnt particularly innovative they are good on fixing stuff fast and supporting their game. Of course they also had fewer players at launch but that aint an excuse.

As for TSW it had some problems.

I had been able to log in all the time except 3 hours (annoyingly on launchday) and I seen some annoying bugs, like the guildsystem not working as it should. I even seen a bugged out DE and the auction house is still not up.

But with MMO terms that is still a good launch. Only LOTRO, Rift and GW did a better launch in my experience.

Or did you not count in the hours people had to wait to be able to log in to TOR as an issue? I sure do.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by kDeviL

You go to the bank, and withdraw 20 dollars, the ATM gives you 200. You try it again, it does it again.

This is where the "responsible" people step in. They say hey, this isn't right, i'm going inside to let them know.

And this is where the exploiters come in. Taking as much money from the ATM as possible.

Would you do that? No probably not. So what's the difference? 

Ban them, good, if they can't make a decent decision on their own, than it's their own fault for getting the ban. 

It's called an exploit for a reason, just because ANet made a mistake, doesn't mean your guild should use it to it fullest and back until ANet fixes it. 

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

Actually, it was really close to TOR is smothness. 

Rift did indeed launch better, while Trion isnt particularly innovative they are good on fixing stuff fast and supporting their game. Of course they also had fewer players at launch but that aint an excuse.

As for TSW it had some problems.

I had been able to log in all the time except 3 hours (annoyingly on launchday) and I seen some annoying bugs, like the guildsystem not working as it should. I even seen a bugged out DE and the auction house is still not up.

But with MMO terms that is still a good launch. Only LOTRO, Rift and GW did a better launch in my experience.

Or did you not count in the hours people had to wait to be able to log in to TOR as an issue? I sure do.

Whats up Loke666, just stating what went down from Sept 25th to Sept 30th on what I witnessed. All I heard from players that BWE were successful despite some lag issues and GW2 will have a smooth launch come release.

Now we could pick and choose every little bug in every mmo named at launch, however it GW2 time to be in the spotlight, the others already had their time to be dragged and kicked. As much as ANET fans are forgiving on GW2 release, but they weren't forgiving on the other titles thats for damn sure.