Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Message to any Ex-WOW players from an ex WOW player

airborne1312airborne1312 Member Posts: 56

Please ignore my previous thread on GW2...im man enough to admit i got it wrong so facepalm and headbutt me.

This is the game i have been waiting for to fill that mental 'borg assimilation' scar left by 7 yrs of WOW.

Been looking for a decent polished MMO since i finally left WOW a year ago.

Tried Warhammer, Age of conan, Rift, LOTRO, Tera and even SWTOR...all fell well short of what i was looking for.

Dare i say this is better fun than vanilla WOW all those years ago..well hell yeah.

My Elementalist is a blast to play..the combat flows and has fantastic spell visuals.

The world is full of life with James Cameron 'avatar' style graphics.

The interface is simple, easy to use and navigate which is how it should be.

I stopped logging into SWTOR, Tera and Rift after 2 days play on each thinking 'I cant be bothered.'

GW2 has given me that old hunger i had all those years ago to log in, play and bloody well enjoy.

Its a new dawn for me anyway and a long ruddy time coming!

Comments

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

+1

For admitting you were wrong on the internet

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Glad to see you're starting to put it together.

The first few hours I played, I wasn't totally blown away, either.  It felt solid enough, but I had little knowledge of how weapon skills worked, very little about slotted abilities, NOTHING about crafting and inventory...

If you just grab some standard class, keep the weapon they've got, and start off just digging for quests and trying to level up by standing in front of mobs and spamming ready abilities, (in other words, do what you're supposed to do in about every other MMO) you'll miss so much. 

Dunno how much you've discovered so far, but I'm 30+ hours right now, and STILL learning new things. 

Good luck out in the field!

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    It's really not hard to be better than WoW. It's just GW2 is just the second AAA game  to try not being a WoW clone since 2004. They copied DAoC instead, and added in a splash of WAR's public quests, then improved on them.
  • DragnogDragnog Member UncommonPosts: 48
    What changed your mind so dramatically from your last post?
  • ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Tibernicus
    It's really not hard to be better than WoW. It's just GW2 is just the second AAA game  to try not being a WoW clone since 2004. They copied DAoC instead, and added in a splash of WAR's public quests, then improved on them.

Not trolling, but curious. I've played most of the major AAA MMOs that have come out since WoW. Which other one wasn't a clone to some degree?

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by ultrastoat
    Originally posted by Tibernicus It's really not hard to be better than WoW. It's just GW2 is just the second AAA game  to try not being a WoW clone since 2004. They copied DAoC instead, and added in a splash of WAR's public quests, then improved on them.
    Not trolling, but curious. I've played most of the major AAA MMOs that have come out since WoW. Which other one wasn't a clone to some degree?

I'm biased towards sci-fi/horror but TSW actually feels absolutely nothing like WOW/Rift/Tortarded.

It's not really "AAA" though but pretty enjoyable.

(Not got to try GW2 yet)

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

WvW is definitely er....highly influenced by DAoC.  The rest of the game...not so much.

What makes GW2 great is that, much like WoW, they sought to improve on all the great things that people loved in previous MMORPGs instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Bishop200Bishop200 Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    The first few hours I played, I wasn't totally blown away, either. 

Same thing here, i am a big fan of Anet, but for my first few hour i was felling a little let's down. Kind of hard to break old habit and enjoy the game for real.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    yeah yeah... lets wait 2 month, then we will see
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by airborne1312

Please ignore my previous thread on GW2...im man enough to admit i got it wrong so facepalm and headbutt me.

This is the game i have been waiting for to fill that mental 'borg assimilation' scar left by 7 yrs of WOW.

Tried Warhammer, Age of conan, Rift, LOTRO, Tera and even SWTOR...all fell well short of what i was looking for.

Dare i say this is better fun than vanilla WOW all those years ago..well hell yeah.

My Elementalist is a blast to play..the combat flows and has fantastic spell visuals.

I stopped logging into SWTOR, Tera and Rift after 2 days play on each thinking 'I cant be bothered.'

GW2 has given me that old hunger i had all those years ago to log in, play and bloody well enjoy.

Woot? ok..moving on

How to quickly redeem yourself and get accepted in any gaming community and also collect cool points along the way?

Make sure to bash WOW. Most imortantly don't forget to mention number of years you spent in that MMO. Feel regret to gain sympathy and then announce how you are looking forward to play GW2 for similar number of years or more.

This trick never fails. Any gaming community will accept you with open arms and you will move from one borg assimilation (in your own words) to another.

Bravo!!..exit stage..curtains.... claps.

Bite Me

• dominiadominia Member Posts: 191
    I think it's ok to play both WoW and GW2, though it may be illegal in California, Rhode Island and Sweden.

Currently Playing: GW2
    Retired: Shadowbane, DAoC, WoW, FFXI, Eve Online, SWToR

The Aphelion MMO Blog - GW2 Initial Impressions

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Woot? ok..moving on

How to quickly redeem yourself and get accepted in any gaming community and also collect cool points along the way?

Make sure to bash WOW. Most imortantly don't forget to mention number of years you spent in that MMO. Feel regret to gain sympathy and then announce how you are looking forward to play GW2 for similar number of years or more.

This trick never fails. Any gaming community will accept you with open arms and you will move from one borg assimilation (in your own words) to another.

Haha, so true.  Meanwhile, WoW will keep chugging right along...

Woot? ok..moving on

It's okay...really :).

Even if GW2 becomes the dominant MMORPG, WoW will remain around for years to come i'm sure and there will be plenty more content for it.  In fact, it would be a GOOD thing for everyone if GW2 seriously challenges WoW because it will push Blizzard to make more and better content.

So no need for this constant animosity against anyone who dares say something positive about GW2.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Woot? ok..moving on

Even if GW2 becomes the dominant MMORPG, WoW will remain around for years to come i'm sure and there will be plenty more content for it.  In fact, it would be a GOOD thing for everyone if GW2 seriously challenges WoW because it will push Blizzard to make more and better content.

So no need for this constant animosity against anyone who dares say something positive about GW2.

Dont use strawman please. One can post positive things about GW2 without burning other MMOS at stake. I do that all the time and at the same time i am also critical but this 'bashing wow everytime to get accepted in new game community' is such a cliche.

Bite Me

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Woot? ok..moving on

On the flip side, I hope GW2 doesn't totally destroy WoW either.  Competition will only make gw2 better in the long run as well. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    OK so this ends up being the second time I've blocked the angry rager  then unblocked them the next day because they educated their opinion. Is this going to happen lots with GW2?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Woot? ok..moving on

So harsh, I kinda like it lol.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind. Then I decided I didn't care one way or the other. If he THINKS he found a great game or if he ACTUALLY found one then great for him.

I was honestly hoping for a more indepth message to former WOW player though.

Woot? ok..moving on

Dont use strawman please. One can post positive things about GW2 without burning other MMOS at stake. I do that all the time and at the same time i am also critical but this 'bashing wow everytime to get accepted in new game community' is such a cliche.

The OP bashed WoW?  Really?  He actually said that he played WoW for SEVEN YEARS, and GW2 is the only game that so far that he has actually liked more than WoW.

I'm not sure how that is bashing WoW.  In fact, the OP complemented WoW by saying that it kept his attention for seven years, that's no mean feat for a game.  Major turn the sensitivity gauge down on your bash-o-meter :)?

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Good for you OP. As an ex WoW player ( I played WoW for 6 uninterrupted years), I"ll just say to you that I played GW2, and in my opinion, it's a very generic, shallow, and mediocre game at best, and if I had to pick beteen WoW and GW2, I'd go back to WoW in a heartbeat.
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Woot? ok..moving on

Now now he didn't offer up his g/f or sister.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ultrastoat 

Yeah, but the difference with games like Rift is that they actually feels like playing Wow or at least very close. Well, AoC felt a little different but the whole list of bugs together with the small world kinda took the fun out of it.

GW2 feels different when you play it even if most of the mechanics are well known, it is kinda hard to explain but it have a new game feeling that last longer than a few hours.