Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Housing and other sandbox features?

SmokewoodSmokewood Member UncommonPosts: 10

Are there any plans for player housing or other sandbox features to be added later?

BTW First Post!!! 

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    None stated. Was there an interview or QnA where ArenaNet said that would be a goal or focus?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I thought they said they planned on bringing in player housing at some point?
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Smokewood

Are there any plans for player housing or other sandbox features to be added later?

BTW First Post!!! 

Yes, there are plans for player housing and guild halls.

"Dedicated player housing will not be in Guild Wars 2 at launch but is planned for a later update."

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Maybe 1st X-pac who knows. anything is possible.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

BTW First Post!!! 

there was the idea of Air Ships being player housing, but cant find the quote on it.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SmokewoodSmokewood Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I'm a big fan of user created content. I would love an expansion or add on (to any theme park mmo for that matter) that would allow user created content, player housing, player ran shops, etc....
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

BTW First Post!!! 

there was the idea of Air Ships being player housing, but cant find the quote on it.

The talk was actually of Airships being Guild Housing :D

There are plans for Player Housing being added, though likely not in a format you will want if you are a big Sandbox fan.

Player run shops and other sandbox features are highly unlikely.

GW2 is (IMHO) an amazing virtual world but it is 100% a themepark virtual world.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by Stx11

GW2 is (IMHO) an amazing virtual world but it is 100% a themepark virtual world.

Correct, and if there will be any player-housing in future, it will be themepark-style player housing, which again has nothing to to with a sandbox feature.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

from a similar link

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18447-guild-info-discussion-thread/page__st__180#entry887047

We will introduce player housing at some point after launch, and at that time we will also implement guild halls.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Player housing is not a feature that defines a sandbox style game in any way, in fact more theme parks have it than sandboxes.

I'm not sure that any MMORPG feature can be exclusively tied to either game design, (perhaps more of a matter of degree?) but one things for sure, the way GW2 is currently designed it will never be a sand box style game.

That road wasn't taken a long time ago and there's no going back.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon