Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Launch of GW2 becoming a Disaster?

12345679»

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

For myself I have foudn the launch acceptable and  apart from the forums and trading post being down(nowhere near the frist game to laucnh without either but amybe the first to have them implemented but nto available.) but from all  the people having problems I would say the launch overall is less than average.Nowhere near a disaster but not up to where it should have been.

I am having a blast in GW2 so far but that doesn't mean I think the launch was good.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168

A "disaster", Really ? This is the word you picked to describe the current situation with GW2 ? Wow...

I smell a tr... Nevermind...

How did you describe D3 launch then ?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Atlan99

1) No forums.

2)Trading Post down

3)Mail System taken down sporadically

4)Rubberbanding/Lag Issues

5)Accounts Hacked/Accounts Banned

6)Little Accountability/Support

7)Bugged Guild Tabs/WvWvW Tabs

This launch seems to get worse with every passing day and Arenanet's ability to cope seems in question. Is this launch starting to spin out of control and become a disaster?

The other thing that seems very troubling, is having to go to third parties to find out what is going on.

- Absurd difficulty

- forced to be downlevelled makes "getting stronger and coming back later" impossible

- getting your group together in the same instance most times doesn't work

So yes, I'd say this launch looks more and more like a BIG disaster. And no forums bugs me the most, that I am forced to go to FACEBOOK of all things or follow some tiny twitter news. Absurd.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

If the trade post stays down much longer, then i will say it will be one of the worst launches for a MMO. after all trade is the bread and butter of MMO economy.

Why they didnt have player to player trade i do not know.

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Disaster ?

You realy think GW2 launch days where a total disaster :) ?

Apart from millions of players logging in at once where you just have to trial and error to push trough all those connections i dint have any preblems...
    Only 28 august i had a few lag spikes, but thats all -_-

Yip its the worste launch ever in the history of mmo's.....cant by any worse then this.

I have been trolled i think :( ?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Elikal

- Absurd difficulty

You have to be joking. You're going to start griping about this again? Wasn't this a big complaint of yours with TSW too?

I don't get why some of you bother playing mmos anymore.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

- Absurd difficulty

You have to be joking. You're going to start griping about this again? Wasn't this a big complaint of yours with TSW too?

Does he honestly think game is absurdly difficult?

It's an increase in terms of difficulty for sure....but absurd?  He must really really suck at gaming... that or Elikal is secretly my dad... my dad can't play any video game period...

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Atibra

If the information above was actually posted on the Guild Wars 2 website, in a highly visible location - letting the community know they are aware of the issues and working to address them.  Then, that is good Support and Supportability...

The fact that it's posted on Reddit - is actually bad support.

Or how about at least a front page link to redddit. They posted photos of them eating cupcakes, why not a simple link?

It all comes down to damage control, posting that list of problems on your website will definitey kill sales in the short term and you don't bite the hand that feeds you, well if you know what I mean.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

- Absurd difficulty

Does he honestly think game is absurdly difficult?

It's an increase in terms of difficulty for sure....but absurd?  He must really really suck at gaming... that or Elikal is secretly my dad... my dad can't play any video game period...

I think it is more simply mmo burnout to be honest. Seems with every game he ends up coming up with reasons why it is awful. I honestly think he would be better off simply taking a break.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

1) No forums.

2)Trading Post down

This launch seems to get worse with every passing day and Arenanet's ability to cope seems in question. Is this launch starting to spin out of control and become a disaster?

The other thing that seems very troubling, is having to go to third parties to find out what is going on.

- Absurd difficulty

- forced to be downlevelled makes "getting stronger and coming back later" impossible

- getting your group together in the same instance most times doesn't work

So yes, I'd say this launch looks more and more like a BIG disaster. And no forums bugs me the most, that I am forced to go to FACEBOOK of all things or follow some tiny twitter news. Absurd.

You are listing 2 design choices and only one that is a launch issue. The group issues have been bugging us too.

But as for going back and feel stronger. This definately works. Your lvl might scale down, but it is very noticable that your weapons and gear are better. If you are highest lvl in an event, you will notice that the boss mainly goes for you. Especially if you equipped dps traits.

Absurd difficulty is maybe only in certain boss situations. The elemental boss in Asura starting area for example. While I think it is fun, I also see a lot of complaints about it.

I do believe that melee players in events with mass amount of mobs will find it almost impossible to play well. Lucky for you any prof can equip ranged AOE weapon. I noticed that this is the most efficient (unfortunately) against mass amount of mobs, if you are going for max loot and participation. The AOE spam zergfest is ridiculous at those events.

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

Posts like the OP's remind me of this Louis CK appearance on Conan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by xpiher

EDIT: You guys should be happy that there is an overflow server. If there wasn't you wouldn't be able to play at all. And, while not being able to party is an annoyance, its not game breaking like it would be in other games given the fact that in GW2 everyone gets loot for particpating in world events. The only thing that you can't do if you aren't in a party are group instances. 

I also agree it's far from a disaster and I've largely enjoyed my time playing.  This one point though is pretty huge for me and will start to become a huge issue for me if it's not addressed fairly soon.  I don't mind being in an overlow server, just make sure I can be there with my friends so we can keep playing together.  I bought this game primarily to play with my wife and another good friend and it's getting very annoying to not be able to consistently group up.  It's not game breaking for me yet, but with each passing day it gets worse.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by cdestey

Posts like the OP's remind me of this Louis CK appearance on Conan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Thanks for posting this lol.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Ianb4all

Originally posted by Aelious You just explained things that happen in every MMO on a daily basis. No, it's not the worst and for the most part people are able to log in and play just fine. The only universal problem with playing the game seems to be the broker (which is up now right?) and the mail system (up?). You causin' trouble? /narroweye
     its down till they roll out new authenticating methods- as to when that is could take weeks as they dont tell us anything!  
    What they posted yesterday about it

We're currently preparing email authentication and intend to deploy it in a phased rollout, starting on Thursday, August 30.

They also posted today an update on the mail system that they're keeping it down due to an abuse instead of re-enabling it last night which they posted at first.

cba to post the links since apprently you cba to look for the info they're providing (hint: twitter, facebook, reddit, gw2guru;   you don't have to monitor them all, if they post an update somewhere they link them all on twitter so you could just follow that and use an ingame overlay like the Enjin client that has built in social media, browser, voice chat, video recording etc. so you don't even have to alt-tab out of the game).

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    My advice is to just ignore Elikal he is in another thread complaining that modern day MMO's are too difficult. also that Devs cater to the hardcore crowd because of some dick measureing contest. i dont get it, i find it that the more challenging it is the more fun it is.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• nimbuszero2nimbuszero2 Member Posts: 43

The mail system and trading post problems...I think that something more may exist behind them. As early adopters that have been anticipating this game's arrival for quite some time, many of us would be more likely to toss more money out for gems. And when one is unable to store or selling their goods, what must they do? Bank it. But what's this? I'm out of bank space? Guess I'll expand my bank with an extra tab or two...

I for one absolutely refuse to buy anything from the cash shop until the game is functioning properly, economy and all.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by nimbuszero2

The mail system and trading post problems...I think that something more may exist behind them. As early adopters that have been anticipating this game's arrival for quite some time, many of us would be more likely to toss more money out for gems. And when one is unable to store or selling their goods, what must they do? Bank it. But what's this? I'm out of bank space? Guess I'll expand my bank with an extra tab or two...

I for one absolutely refuse to buy anything from the cash shop until the game is functioning properly, economy and all.

the cynic in me thought the same.

but i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, but trading post must rapidly become a priority. whats the point of a MMORPG that doesnt allow trading

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    What do you mean becoming. Not sure about disaster but it is pretty bad. EU servers are down again.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

aye its pretty bad but in all fairness to a.net. none of the problems are game breaking problems for the majority of ppl.

underneath all these minor glitches is a fantastic game that can only get better as soon as they sort ther sh*t out.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

There are some issues yes, but not a disaster by any means.

We know ANet is working hard to get things solved. It's going to be all adressed in some days/weeks. I couldn't care less. I am having a blast.

The foundation of GW2 is so solid that I am not really concerned about these issues/bugs. It can only get better from now on.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm having technical issues with the game so from a personal point of view it's been a disaster. Which is a shame since from what little of the game I've played, I very much enjoyed, But it seems I will have to wait for a patch to fix the issues I am having with the game.

The lack of forums and having to use twitter has been furstrating in dealing with the issues since they can be a goldmine of information when you are experiencing technical issues. Having to use twitter and FB and search other sites is far from ideal in these circumstances and makes the game look unprofessional.

However, this is not the worse launch of a game I've experienced.. that prize goes Vanguard and Final Fantasy. But it's far from the smooth launch I think most of us expected.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by nimbuszero2

Lol, no way. You think ANET would risk losing some players for that? They dont actually sell anything like you would buy from the AH.

The mail system is since they had some hacking issues (mainly because people used their standard emails and standard passwords) and they decided to close the mails down a day to fix it.

The AH seems to have some real problems, it is not something you close down on purpose. The only thing closing it down could possible give them would be selling a few more bank spaces but it would just not be worth it.

I hope they fix it soon though, as a crafter there is plenty of supplies I wouldnt mind to buy and it would be nice to sell some junk as well.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

1) No forums.

2)Trading Post down

well these are nothing to someone who plays MMOs, and the fun is that you didnt mentioned the only serious problem, this one about overflow servers where parties get divorced ... : /  everything else doesnt make the game unplayable/enjoyable ..!

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    Not a disaster at all. Every game has hiccups at the start. When Aion released half the player base had left by now, that was a disaster.