Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

4 x as many Xfire users playing GW2 than WOW.

2456

Comments

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXPosts: 3,332Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I'm better than Guild Wars 2.  100% of xfire users think I'm the sexiest man alive 1% of the time ;)

    The problem with polls, xfire numbers, and anything else that doesn't consider the whole of something...It's easy to skew the numbers into whatever you want them to be.  So the demographic is WoW players with Xfire that are now playing GW2...I think that's a really really small portion of the MMO market. GW2 fanatics should go into Politics, they'd do great lol

  • Kaelano1Kaelano1 Peoria, ILPosts: 375Member

    To be clear, I'm honestly not defending WoW or any other game. My argument is this :

     

    With.  Your.  Data.  You're.  Not.  Really.  Saying.  Much.

     

    except that a large number of people are checking out a new release, and that happens all the time. Look how many boxes diablo3 sold. It's just as pointless of a game, really. Run around and kill stuff with a massive whine for mediocrity.

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon
    I dont know anyone that uses xfire..
  • crabdogcrabdog KabinburiPosts: 30Member

    WoW was released on November 23, 2004.  Makes your statement seem pretty retarded.  Let's see what the numbers for GW2 look like 7-8 years from now.

    Your post just screams "impulsive fanboy". Just shut up and go play.

  • VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 2,583Member Uncommon
    I agree that GW2 is a great game, but this topic is pathetic. WoW had just its largest patch for years, using numbers from patch day as comparison is no better than lying.
  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer LisbonPosts: 415Member
    Originally posted by Grunch
    Numbers don't lie.

    Ok, i'll give you some numbers. I already posted something similar in another thread, but whatever.

    During teh 3 day headstart, GW2's xfire numbers surpassed WOW's. We know there's less than 2 million players that pre-purchased, possibly 1.5 million.

    WOW as 9 million players. We know that a great portion is in Asia of course. So, cut 5 million off and that's still 4 million. Hell make it 3 million.

    Yet, while it as more players,it's xfire number is lower. So, again, expect for the fatc that xfire tracks te number os hours played for each person that as it instaled, what does it matter.

    Exactly, nothing. Why can't people just wait to see the full official numbers from NCsoft? This xfire is useless and completly pointless.

     

  • otacuotacu BolzanoPosts: 547Member
    Originally posted by Ocenica
    I never used xfire when I played WoW.  Everyone that I played with in different guilds used Ventrilo and occasionally a small new guild would use Teamspeak.  Not having vent would get you kicked out of raids. I doubt not having Xfire would do the same. This is comparing apples to oranges. 

     

    This is not about total population. It's about Xfire population. 

     

    Originally posted by Nikkita

    These Xfire topics are pointless. Comparing a game which is not even one week  old with an 8 year old one and then actually gloat about it.

    *shakes head*

    Well in WOW's case the fact it's 8 year old is not a weakness it's a strenght. Because people are less likely to leave a game where they spent thousands of dollars and years of playtime.

    Of course WoW still has more players overall.

    But it's interesting to see xfire trends. For example when Swtor launched it managed to get to 24% max with WOW always at 46-48%

    It's kinda funny to see WOW being the second ranked mmorpg on x-fire.... that's not something you see everyday. In fact it never happened in the last years. I don't even remember if a mmorpg ever topped WOW on xfire.

     

     

     

     

  • GrunchGrunch yuma, AZPosts: 493Member
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

    To be clear, I'm honestly not defending WoW or any other game. My argument is this :

     

    With.  Your.  Data.  You're.  Not.  Really.  Saying.  Much.

     

     

    What data? I just shoot from the hip. I haven't played GW2 or WoW or ever used Xfire. I don't even know what Xfire is.

    image

    "I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

  • ZinzanZinzan NorthPosts: 1,351Member
    Originally posted by saranya
    what is xfire?

    It's clearly a comprehensive list of every single person in the known universe and what games they play.

    For the last 150 years Microsoft (in various guises such as the illuminati, the NRA and the free masons) have been secretly implanting a chip into every single child born on the planet to monitor their gaming habits, x-fire simply hacked the code.

    You think your belly button is a natural formation? However, recently with gamers girth increasing these chips have receded into the flubber prison, the reliability of the signal from this flab dungeon has become somewhat intermittant, hence why many people question the validity of x-fire numbers.

     

    Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

  • XiaokiXiaoki White Pigeon, MIPosts: 2,605Member Uncommon

    Why is it that X-Fire is only a relevant and trustworthy source of information when it supports someone's argument?


    What happens when MoP is released and WoW passes GW2? Will X-Fire go back to being that stupid thing that no one uses for even knows someone that uses it?

  • varriusvarrius =, AKPosts: 106Member
    Originally posted by plescure

    http://www.xfire.com/games/#

     

    guess this why the servers are melting!

     

     

    A survey indicated less than 50% of the WoW population even uses XFIRE.

  • VegettoVegetto WorcesterPosts: 841Member


    Originally posted by Zinzan

    Originally posted by saranya what is xfire?
    It's clearly a comprehensive list of every single person in the known universe and what games they play.

    For the last 150 years Microsoft (in various guises such as the illuminati, the NRA and the free masons) have been secretly implanting a chip into every single child born on the planet to monitor their gaming habits, x-fire simply hacked the code.

    You think your belly button is a natural formation? However, recently with gamers girth increasing these chips have receded into the flubber prison, the reliability of the signal from this flab dungeon has become somewhat intermittant, hence why many people question the validity of x-fire numbers.

     


    Haha, so true :)

    Every big game release, someone refers to X-Fire numbers and every new game beats the others in numbers. I have never heard of anyone i've played with on planet earth even hearing of this program. I wouldn't have heard of it if not for the people on this forum.

    In fact, why would anyone want additional programs running in background hogging resources just to act as a virtual stopwatch and contacts list?

    image

  • GrunchGrunch yuma, AZPosts: 493Member
    Originally posted by varrius
    Originally posted by plescure

    http://www.xfire.com/games/#

     

    guess this why the servers are melting!

     

     

    A survey indicated less than 50% of the WoW population even uses XFIRE.

    I conducted that survey outside my local supermarket.

    "I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

  • RoinRoin Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,927Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by saranya
    what is xfire?

    It's clearly a comprehensive list of every single person in the known universe and what games they play.

    For the last 150 years Microsoft (in various guises such as the illuminati, the NRA and the free masons) have been secretly implanting a chip into every single child born on the planet to monitor their gaming habits, x-fire simply hacked the code.

    You think your belly button is a natural formation? However, recently with gamers girth increasing these chips have receded into the flubber prison, the reliability of the signal from this flab dungeon has become somewhat intermittant, hence why many people question the validity of x-fire numbers.

     

    This post is by far one of the funniest I've read in a few months.image

    In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

  • NaeviusNaevius Houston, TXPosts: 334Member Uncommon
    Relying on Xfire to get absolute numbers is obviously wrong. However, the ratio of GW2 vs WoW might be meaningful, unless you can make a convincing case for some reason the sampling is non-random. (I.e it's the same as a telephone poll - a random sample of players.)
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by Naevius
    Relying on Xfire to get absolute numbers is obviously wrong. However, the ratio of GW2 vs WoW might be meaningful, unless you can make a convincing case for some reason the sampling is non-random. (I.e it's the same as a telephone poll - a random sample of players.)

    For the XFire information to be meaningful, you'd have to have a path from XFire Active Players to the game's Active Players, without making a number up in between them. To do that you'd need the game's Active Players. If you had the game's Active Players, you wouldn't need XFire.

    Those telephone polls are not random in the way everyone keeps saying they are. People are called at random, but once called they are slotted into groups based on where they live, their income, race, and other factors. Then the information is actually analyzed and the data that doesn't fit a particular profile is thrown out. Once the data has been confirmed 'good', the numbers are analyzed and some conclusions are drawn. If the polls are done right, you can predict things like who the country will vote for as the next president. If the poll is done wrong, you get nothing. XFire isn't anything like this.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • thinktank001thinktank001 oasisPosts: 2,027Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by plescure

    http://www.xfire.com/games/#

     

    guess this why the servers are melting!

     

    32 million players playing GW2.   Got to be a new record.

     

    /sarcasm

  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    A scientist would go ballistic if they could get a legitamate survey of almost 20k people (19121). Xfire, though not used by everyone, cannot be manipulated and therefore can be used for a reasonable discussion.

    Today may not be the best day for comparison since it's now 54.5 to 13.3 with the patch and all. That said cross sections like xfire are the only legitimate way of measuring GW2's success since there are no subs to report monthly, only box sales.
  • RanyrRanyr Syracuse, NYPosts: 195Member
    Why use XFire when you can use Steam?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member


    Originally posted by Aelious
    A scientist would go ballistic if they could get a legitamate survey of almost 20k people (19121). Xfire, though not used by everyone, cannot be manipulated and therefore can be used for a reasonable discussion.Today may not be the best day for comparison since it's now 54.5 to 13.3 with the patch and all. That said cross sections like xfire are the only legitimate way of measuring GW2's success since there are no subs to report monthly, only box sales.

    Er...no. The number of people responding isn't as important as making sure that the data being collected is representative of the information you're trying to reveal.

    In medical research, the people involved in a study starts off at a very high number. Ten years later when the study is finished, there may be 150 left who are relevant to what is being studied. That study can be applicable to millions of people. It's not the number of people in the study, it's the relevance of the people in the study.

    If 1,000 people respond to a poll on who they would vote for in a presidential election, and half the people responding are German Tourists, then the poll is going to be invalid. They don't just take 1,000 random people regardless of who they are. The data is vetted to make sure it's valid. This doesn't happen with XFire. XFire is just a random selection of people who opt-in for reasons that may or may not have anything to do with the game tracking.

    Also, "Scientist" as a job doesn't exist any longer. You can't apply for a job as a "Scientist". Things like medical studies and political polls involve way more than one guy (or gal) whose job title is "Scientist".

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member

    GW2 still beats WoW even with the new pre-Pandaria patch released. That still says a LOT about the popularity of the game. Only game to achieve this in years.

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,912Member Uncommon

    The game dominated the hype charts for a long time, not to mention opened a door few AAA mmorpgs have at launch, buy the box to play as long as servers are up. With no sub commitment that definitely will bring in a new wave of players into the genre.

    Honestly I'm not surprised.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    Lizard

    I see what your saying but what makes xfire 100% applicable in this discussion is the fact people aren't voting on paper using the honor system, these numbers are tracking what people are playing.

    In a discussion of who is playing what MMO right now xfire serves as a great reference.
  • ultrastoatultrastoat Sacramento, CAPosts: 172Member
    Originally posted by Grunch
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Grunch
    [mod edit]

    We're simply trading McDonalds for Starbucks

    Wrong. Its more like trading McDonalds for Five Guys or In and Out Burgers.

    Bangarang.

    Bangarang will never be cool, I'm sorry...

  • SukiyakiSukiyaki GreenwichPosts: 1,398Member Uncommon

     So what do you wanna tell us?

    GW2 appears more successful compared to a dying game?

    Or WoW apparently is dying even faster due to GW?

    Srsly its x-fire... who cares?

     

This discussion has been closed.