Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Guild Wars 2 Will be a Bust.

Comments

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

One reason why GW appeared successful and why GW2 will appear to be successful is that the franchise is carried by the other games owned by NCSoft. GW made up 3% of NCSofts profit in 2009 and 1% so far in 2012. Aion, Lineage, and l2 make up most of NCSofts profits allowing the GW franchise to survive.

On its own who knows if Arenanet would be able to survive.

I think A.Net would be able to survive. Innovation in ideas is usually rewarded. If NCSoft did not buy A.Net one of the others would have. I am happy they weren't bought by EA - GW2 would never had seen the light of day.

I look at it this way.

When an athlete has someone paying the bills its easy to just work at their sport and win the gold. But when the same athlete has to work 9-5 they are lucky if they make the podium.

Pretty sure that if Anet didn't have money coming from the parent company they wouldn't have been able to make GW2 based on the little profits GW generated. Then you have to think how much of GW operating costs were covered by the other games.

If Anet had to stand own its own 2 feet you have to wonder would GW have been the game it is? Would they have had the money to make GW2?

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    the grind?where?

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64
    o_O GW2 is designed for ANYTHING but casual.  The questing may seem that way but the core of the game is fast and skill based PvP.  That's not for casual players.
  • MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

So bored of these threads.

Why does an mmo have to have a pop greater than wow to not fail? hasn't anyone noticed that there is more than 1 game in the industry?

there are tons of games that are terrible, browser based, grindfest that are far worse than anything the average user on here has played and they survive, in this apparently failful industry.

please stop these ridiculous thread.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Like how you go on about GW2 being "bust" then say you're gonna stick to Vanguard.

• ECGangelECGangel Member UncommonPosts: 39
    another `who cares watcha think` post
  • dumbo11dumbo11 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

Fair enough on BW. And i never said Rift was a failure. It is indeed a sucess.

But, where are you getting that because there's no sub it runs on boxes. You do realize that sub games are B2P2P, right? Warhammer, that i used as an example, was called a sucess by Mythic a sucess with it sold those 1.5 million. So, why is it failing? Failure in long term reveneu.

The way it works is simple. A publishe (NCSoft) gives the developer (Anet) the money to produce the game. So, using boxe sales as a great way to return investment and reveneu, they are sold for any mmorpg. But it is not enough to guarentee a sucess. If GW2 generates profit for NCSOft, it does not mean the game's in the clear. It now needs on-going money, from teh cash shop to produce future content.

Honestly, where do you think the cash for content updates and expansion for other mmorpg came from?

Riders of Rohan? Not from box sales since LOTRO is Freemium.

Trion's huge updates and expansion for Rift, End of Nations and Defience? You're sayign all that came from teh profitable 1 million box sales?

If enough reveneu is made from boxes, then it's invested, but it doesn''t run on it.

o_O. According to the GW wiki:

- GW1 released in April 2005.

- the first expansion was released in April 2006.

- the cash shop appeared at the end of July 2006.

(it should be noted that GW expansions were b2p - it's not exactly a case of an on-going financial drain for the company)

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by trenshod

Instanced - for sure every zone is instanced granted they are large but your unable to traverse a entire continent without a loading screen. Warhammer did the same thing where as in WoW you could walk from one end of a continent to the other without a single loading screen.

Wrong mate. World of Warcraft has loading screens, and had at least one portal to separate one area from another, those areas being the Ghostlands to Plageulands (last I'm aware of at least, not sure if Cataclysm changed that).

The only difference between World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 is how they handled the loading. Travelling normally (walking/mounted/flying point) the game would load up the next part as you went in WoW. Each continent (or Outlands) was a separate server cluster though so while you may be able to travel along an entire continent, the game itself is still Instanced by your definition.

But that would be wrong. Neither WoW or GW2 are instanced. Zoned yes, but not instanced. All GW2 did was replace the gradual loading of one area from another with the separations you see in the game. Most likely to keep down the general load each player would have to deal with.

World of Warcraft is technically Seamless and Persistent, GW2 however is Persistent but not seamless. Being instanced, like GW1 was, would make it nearly impossible to be persistent.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is because its not as innovative as WoW was when it stole everything good from MMO's. When WoW did it there was 1 other MMO that was even worth playing and that was EverQuest. DAoC had its fan base it just wasnt on the level of EQ. By the time WoW came out, People were ready for something different. Today there are too many mmo's out there. I blame WoW for this.

I thoroughly disagree with this. at the time of WoW's release there were several well populated games. UO, EQ, DAOC, Lineage 2 and even Shadowbane had a decent pop at that time. WoW had the Warcraft IP which added to the fact that they did take most of the innovations from previous releases and use them in their game made WoW the killer app it became.

Only Reason

GW2 will be a bust because its only fun because its the new girl or boy whichever is ur liking. In this world of MMO's we just look for the next one and lie to ourselves that this one is the one. I know this because its happened to myself with TOR and my friends with TERA. Once the newness wears off these threads like mine will become common.

Graphics are good, the world is fresh, the quests are the same, the classes the same. the grind is the same. Only reason to purchase this game I can honestly say is because its free after purchase as long as the servers are still active that is and theoreticly it could possible be worth 60 bucks of entertainment if u put it in scales of taking a family of 4 to the movies. 

Again I disagree. Grinding is non existant , leveling is not drawn out. If your grinding its because you either want to or lack the imagination to travel to other areas and enjoy that content while you level.  Quests are not the same, I have been playing for days. I havent once had to cross a map to finish a quest and be rewarded. Most of the activities have had more then one way to effect an outcome and  there hasent been a lot of downtime looking for stuff to do.

I wanted to like this game. IM FIENDING for a fantasy MMO thats worth playing. This just isnt it. I compare all fantasy games to Everquest 1 and what seperates EQ from every MMO released is, it was a world you wanted to explore. No one guided you, you played a character in a game and created your own story.  I'll save my money stick with Vanguard. 

EQ,

Glad you guys who love the game love it more power to ya. I just wanted a thread so if someone was on the line about purchasing it and didnt buy it yet would have a non bias prespective.Only because of all the glory threads on this forum. Sorry for any typo's im tired and my head hurts.

The fact that you dont like the game makes your opinion no less biased then anyone elses. Opinions are always biased which is why they are called opinions and not facts. I am sure there will be tons of people who feel like you do for whatever reason. But I disagree with your points.

Games not perfect. gonna need some adjustings. The fact that they cant get the market up really bugs me. Their community options are piss poor.  I did not want to have to mine facebook for info. I am not running twitter for help.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Kost

So many clowns who haven't even played, yet think they have a clue.

Get a grip.

Agreed. I've been playing since stress test and head start launch. This game is really cool and refreshing from all the other mmorpg's recently.

There are a lot of people playing, all the servers are full, high, medium. There are only three servers that just came out that are at low population and all the EU/US servers are pretty much either locked or very close to it.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is... /snipped and stopped reading

I believe it actually already is a success.

You say that now, but just you wait......

Once everyone's free time expires, it's gonna fail...you wait. Mark my words.

(LOL)

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Reasons I beleive GW2 will be a failure is because its not as innovative as WoW was when it stole everything good from MMO's. When WoW did it there was 1 other MMO that was even worth playing and that was EverQuest. DAoC had its fan base it just wasnt on the level of EQ. By the time WoW came out, People were ready for something different. Today there are too many mmo's out there. I blame WoW for this.

Only Reason

GW2 will be a bust because its only fun because its the new girl or boy whichever is ur liking. In this world of MMO's we just look for the next one and lie to ourselves that this one is the one. I know this because its happened to myself with TOR and my friends with TERA. Once the newness wears off these threads like mine will become common.

Graphics are good, the world is fresh, the quests are the same, the classes the same. the grind is the same. Only reason to purchase this game I can honestly say is because its free after purchase as long as the servers are still active that is and theoreticly it could possible be worth 60 bucks of entertainment if u put it in scales of taking a family of 4 to the movies. 

I wanted to like this game. IM FIENDING for a fantasy MMO thats worth playing. This just isnt it. I compare all fantasy games to Everquest 1 and what seperates EQ from every MMO released is, it was a world you wanted to explore. No one guided you, you played a character in a game and created your own story.  I'll save my money stick with Vanguard. 

Glad you guys who love the game love it more power to ya. I just wanted a thread so if someone was on the line about purchasing it and didnt buy it yet would have a non bias prespective.Only because of all the glory threads on this forum. Sorry for any typo's im tired and my head hurts.

I find your claim of being a non biased perspective to be a bit false. Obviously you have a bias here, you are claiming the game will be a bust. Its one thing to say you do not like it, but predicting it will be a bust is biased perspective if I ever saw it.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    GW2 is already a massive success.  They're hiring more people right now.  That should tell you something.  They're also pushing the game to China right now in one of the largest deals ever for a MMO.  That is not a bust.  GW2 is going to make NCSoft and ANet a lot of money and rightfully so.  It's a great game.

Not even a week old and it is already a success ? Many games sell over 1 mill at launch, this is nothing new.

not a sub game, DURRRRRRRR

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Your looking for a fanstasy mmo worth playing and GW2 aint it ? ok i am going to shock you out of your socks, it will take around 10 years before we see any fantasy mmo as good as GW2.

Now go play some other game thats better then GW2 lulz

Hey everyone look, this guy is proclaiming a mmorpg to be the best game moving 10 years forward 3 days after launch.  Stop the presses!

So he has the right to his opinion too. Just like you have the right to not play and still talk like you know.

One reason why GW appeared successful and why GW2 will appear to be successful is that the franchise is carried by the other games owned by NCSoft. GW made up 3% of NCSofts profit in 2009 and 1% so far in 2012. Aion, Lineage, and l2 make up most of NCSofts profits allowing the GW franchise to survive.

Appeared? Yeah ok.

I think A.Net would be able to survive. Innovation in ideas is usually rewarded. If NCSoft did not buy A.Net one of the others would have. I am happy they weren't bought by EA - GW2 would never had seen the light of day.

I look at it this way.

When an athlete has someone paying the bills its easy to just work at their sport and win the gold. But when the same athlete has to work 9-5 they are lucky if they make the podium.

Pretty sure that if Anet didn't have money coming from the parent company they wouldn't have been able to make GW2 based on the little profits GW generated. Then you have to think how much of GW operating costs were covered by the other games.

If Anet had to stand own its own 2 feet you have to wonder would GW have been the game it is? Would they have had the money to make GW2?

If you think NCSoft is propping up GW and GW2 you need to return your business degree to the cracker jack box you found it in.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

I look at it this way.

If you think NCSoft is propping up GW and GW2 you need to return your business degree to the cracker jack box you found it in.

IMO you both have no clue, no one does.  They could be propping it up...it could be an extremely cheap game to develop and run...it could be running a massive profit it could be in the red.  Neither of you know and i dont know.

So lets do this like real men AND TAKE IT TO CAPSLOCKS!

Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

I look at it this way.

IMO you both have no clue, no one does.  They could be propping it up...it could be an extremely cheap game to develop and run...it could be running a massive profit it could be in the red.  Neither of you know and i dont know.

So lets do this like real men AND TAKE IT TO CAPSLOCKS!

Why would they want to prop up something that was not making them money? People make the stupidest comments. Companies do not prop up a failure in this day and age. The economy alone should be proof for people, but alas we still get people with no business sense making stupid claims about things.

• AthenRahlAthenRahl Member UncommonPosts: 8

There isn't a single thing in this first paragraph that is fact or truth beyond WoW stealing good ideas from other MMO's. There are tons of innovations in GW2. Anyone with half a brain can see them the moment they log in. Therefore, due to it's lack of factual basis, it's ignored.

Only Reason

That first sentance is incomprehensable. The rest is, again, not based on fact at all, so again ignored. There's lots of games I played for the initial "this is kewl" that I STILL go back and play regularly, because most have gone F2P. THere's only 1 game I've paid money for that I've stopped playing because it's lack of innovation and lack of decent substance made it boring and not worth the expense for me - World of Warcraft. All the other games, I stopped playing because my budjet could not sustain them, regardless of fun value.

You must be playing a different game and not Guild Wars 2. What quests? What grind? I've not done either or found either since I started playing. The closest the game has is the personal storyline, but even that is as much not like quests in other games as it is similar. Yes, there's been times when I've had to level my character between chapters in the story, but it's never once been a grind. So, again, your paragraph is not based in reality and therefore ignored.

What the heck is "FEINDING"? I'm not familliar with that word and I've not found it anywhere in the English dictionairy. Is that another new slang term made up by high school dweebs trying to pretend that they are cool on the itnernet by making up slang even though they wouldn't know cool if it came up to them and hit them in the nutsack with a 20 pound sledgehammer? Also, you're comparing every game you've played to EverQuest 1 because of it's freeform freedom, and you're choosing Vanguard (which is even worse for rail quests and stagnant, old gameplay than WoW) over this game (which has as much freeform freedom as, if not more than,  EQ)? Are you either high on something, or requiring medication? Oh, and also, "you played a character in a game and created your own story" describes every single MMO on the market ever made. So to use that as an argument against Guild Wars 2 is pretty idiotic, considering they've added new layers to character development not done in any MMO ever before.

If anyone wants a truly non-biased opinion, this is far from it. Your opinion is completely and utterly biased against Guild Wars 2, and does not even have any basis in fact. I'm calling this exactly what it is - utter bullsh*t. You wanted attention, that's all. I am betting someone conned you into buying something they told you was Guild Wars 2, and all this time you've been playing something else, assuming it's GW2.

You've not given anything more than your own biased drivvel as to why YOU don't want to like this game. Not why this game sucks, but the reasons you want to insist are good enough for you personally to dislike this game, despite those reasons not at all being about THIS game. You've given NO reasons for "Why Guild Wars 2 Will Be A Bust." So you are just wasting EVERYONE'S time with a FALSE title, and whining FALSE facts not even actually about Guild Wars 2. 

Gratz for being such a skilled troll.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    OP sounds like a Justin Bieber fan that's complaining that Queen stole his "Somebody to Love" song.
  • AthenRahlAthenRahl Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    GW2 is already a massive success.  They're hiring more people right now.  That should tell you something.  They're also pushing the game to China right now in one of the largest deals ever for a MMO.  That is not a bust.  GW2 is going to make NCSoft and ANet a lot of money and rightfully so.  It's a great game.

Not even a week old and it is already a success ? Many games sell over 1 mill at launch, this is nothing new.

not a sub game, DURRRRRRRR

@Mephester - Your point? That still classifies as a measurement of success.

Whether it will stay a success over the long-term is the only thing in question, and that will be open to opinion as it's not come to pass yet. Regardless, it's had a very successful launch, and a better one than many other MMOs have had.

So yes, like it or not, not even a week old and it's a success. Deal with it.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Jeff Strain's famous speech about "How to create a successful MMO" at the GC DevCon

Read that and then tell people again just WHAT exactly your preferences in a game are. I am sure by then you will have come to realise that maybe you didn't really know what you liked in the first place and therefore came to many a wrong conclusion. (the many oxymorons in your first post tell me that from a psychologist's point of view)

edit:

I like you, AthenRahl. :D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by shakermaker0
    I think you make some good points. Wow's launch was different because it had a lot of "firsts." It managed to capture an audience that didn't neccesarily play online games, and most of them won't ever again. It will be pure randomness to see which other MMO will strike lucky and get that new breed of gamers looking for a different experience to Xbox Live. I doubt we will ever see another WoW success though - Guild Wars 2 will be succesful in the traditional sense, pre-WoW.

It will happen, but not for PC. Wait until "Class 4" releases for XBOX, B2P Zombie MMO by Jeff Strain (former lead designer For Blizzard, Blizzard North and Arenanet), it or another game will be the Wow for consoles.  

But yeah, GW2 wont be the new Wow but neither will any other game. If you expect any to be you are fooling yourself. But ANET dont think it will themselves, they made a good game and it will have many players.

Judging MMOs as doing better or worse than Wow is a pointless idea. But just because GW2 wont bring in the money Wow did doesnt mean it will be a bust, I fully think it will be considered the top MMO for the next few years.

If not it, then what other game? ESO? I dont think so. Archeage? Dont make me laugh, AA will do pretty good for a sandbox game but at best it will be the next Eve. And Wow itself is ageing fast and bleeding players while Titan is years away from launch.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    well i stopped reading when i saw about "same quests, same classses, same grinding"  even the gathering isnt the same is much much better from every MMO ..!

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Only Reason

That, right there...