Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Guild Wars 2 pass the Trial by Fire?

varriusvarrius Member Posts: 106

I am beginning to see how this game isn't as revolutionary as everyone thinks.    Everyone is excited about having a new game, something different.   But as I look at these features, I feel as though they will not pass the test, they are merely 'new' things in a game but are not the proper revolutionary changes we need, to keep interest.

Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out, but..   I think we will soon see what I like to call "Launch-Fever" wear off.  

As this reality becomes more apparent and the medication that is boredom wears on your "launch-fever" we will all see that Guild Wars 2 is really falling very, very short of our expectation.

Comments

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96

Would you be a bit more specific about what features you mean?

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Why not just, you know, wait?
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by varrius

I am beginning to see how this game isn't as revolutionary as everyone thinks.    Everyone is excited about having a new game, something different.   But as I look at these features, I feel as though they will not pass the test, they are merely 'new' things in a game but are not the proper revolutionary changes we need, to keep interest.

Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out, but..   I think we will soon see what I like to call "Launch-Fever" wear off.  

As this reality becomes more apparent and the medication that is boredom wears on your "launch-fever" we will all see that Guild Wars 2 is really falling very, very short of our expectation.

Thanks for your opinion ...you are the spokesman for many I assume

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I don´t know what you expected..........

For me is simply & EXACTLY what i was looking for. And more.

"Sure, people will continue to play it - likely until Mists of Pandaria comes out"    - just laughed...

Are all these poping posts part of the MoP campaign?  -.-

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I wanted a good fun game.

The people who wanted the ultimate MMO will indeed be dissapointed but frankly I dont think any game no matter how revolutionary could have made them happy.

I fully expect half the people playing to quit in 2 months but I still think GW2 in the long run will be one of the largest MMOs around. If nothing else then because it is really well made and most MMOs usually try to copy Wows mechanics but not the good stuff (which is that Blizzard actually are good on making working features) or seems like they should have been a year or 2 longer in development.

The hype did pull in a lot of people who really shouldnt have bought the game, like raiders and loot wh#¤% but once that stabilizes I think the game will have a solid fan base. Heck the first game did really well with 10% of this games budget and work.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i believe this is more than launch fever

GW1 continued to sell well from April 2005 forward

after 5 months, ANET announced 1 million sold;  it took a full year before 2 million

and GW2 is a much better game than GW1

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Uh yeah...I sure as hell won't be playing MoP. You are right that it isn't as revolutionary as some make it out to be and I'm sure for some after a few they'll come down from their high. Still, I went in realizing the game wasn't reinventing the wheel so can't say it is going to fall short of my expectations. I somehow doubt I'm the only one.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    I love guild wars 2 but think MMOs in general are probably a dieing breed and nothing can really bring them up to scratch. It's going to take an entirely new kind of game to truely be revolutionary.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Loke666
    I wanted a good fun game.The people who wanted the ultimate MMO will indeed be dissapointed but frankly I dont think any game no matter how revolutionary could have made them happy.I fully expect half the people playing to quit in 2 months but I still think GW2 in the long run will be one of the largest MMOs around. If nothing else then because it is really well made and most MMOs usually try to copy Wows mechanics but not the good stuff (which is that Blizzard actually are good on making working features) or seems like they should have been a year or 2 longer in development.The hype did pull in a lot of people who really shouldnt have bought the game, like raiders and loot wh#¤% but once that stabilizes I think the game will have a solid fan base. Heck the first game did really well with 10% of this games budget and work.

Best assessment I've read about GW2 yet. Good post. +1

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    There are definitely concepts developed in the game that separate it from the general population but revolutionary, groundbreaking, turning a new page nah that isn't GW2. The game is fun but there is a lot of room for improvement and to be honest I think other MMOs can rest soundly knowing that GW2 isn't going to put them down.
  • varriusvarrius Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by emesto
    I love guild wars 2 but think MMOs in general are probably a dieing breed and nothing can really bring them up to scratch. It's going to take an entirely new kind of game to truely be revolutionary.

My sentiments exactly, I am glad you see past your launch-fever.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

I highly doubt MMOs are a dieing breed. Matter of fact I think its the exact opposite. Keep in mind you said MMOs not MMORPGs. The social aspect of gaming has done nothing but flurish and imo will continue to do so. Even now your hard pressed to find a game that doesn't have multiplayer functionality already in it. Granted MP doesn't translate into MMO but it seems that most games strive to have that large scale social interaction.

Originally posted by trenshod

I highly doubt MMOs are a dieing breed. Matter of fact I think its the exact opposite. Keep in mind you said MMOs not MMORPGs. The social aspect of gaming has done nothing but flurish and imo will continue to do so. Even now your hard pressed to find a game that doesn't have multiplayer functionality already in it. Granted MP doesn't translate into MMO but it seems that most games strive to have that large scale social interaction.

Yeah, I don't get that new sentiment either. There are so many mmos at this point it is simply insane and it is more mainstream now than ever before. If anything the market is simply oversaturated by the sheer amount of mmos available.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP

So if I like the game it's just "launch fever". I will agree that players are becoming harder to please becuse we've "been there, done that" and too easily look at one game as just a collection of these other games.

From how you worded your OP have you played GW2? It's okay if you haven't but most of why I like GW2 is how it feels when I'm actually playing, reading about its features individually doesn't give you the entire picture.
  • ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

Please tell me how excatly you can create a whole new game that is revolutionary? When the basic concept of an MMO will always be the same?

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

It passed the most important test of all... it costs me nothing to play.  WoW isn't worth 15 cents a year let alone $15 a month.  Sorry, there is no trial by fire for me.  I'm not the only one who has seen the light.

You talk about newness wearing off... well tell me, just how new is WoW after the first week of a new expansion?  Just how new is your 1000 run through the same instances?  Your problem is you see WoW as new when it is an 8 year old game.   You accept it's flaws because you've been in bed with the ugly step daughter for so long that you now think it's Pamela Anderson.  Just who is the one running around with the blinders on?

Go back to WoW.  Go back now.  Sit in the city and do a /dance for a few hours while you wait for someone to log on that actually wants to do something besides stand around in the city.  I know it's so entertaining over there.  So much so that you had to try another game to *pass the time away* until MoP comes out.  Clearly WoW is utterly boring unless there is new content.  Well tell me, how is WoW passing the trial by fire?  It isn't.  If your idea of success is running back to a game that you already know isn't all that anymore, then perhaps the issue is with you, not with the game developers or other games.

WoW is a dead horse... keep beating if you like, but I can assure you, it's not going to magically become WoW of old ever again.  It is what it is.  You keep leaving it.  You keep going back.  Nothing has changed.  Just who is the trained dog here?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

oh, look.. ANOTHER old low post/ low activity account woken up to throw shit at the game.

It's almost like someone has a few of these things kicking around.

It's such an obvious pattern now. Pretty much every thread like this follows it.

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83
    The first big revolution that came to MMOs was well, their invention, a world in which you could interact, see, and play with other players all over the world. Obviously there's literally nothing that can come close to that, in my opinion the next thing on-par with this would be a virtual reality mmo, so until them we have to settle with those games which change the formula a tad to bring freshness to the table, and GW2 does just that, and I'm having hella lot of fun with it.
    Originally posted by pmiles

It passed the most important test of all... it costs me nothing to play.  WoW isn't worth 15 cents a year let alone $15 a month.  Sorry, there is no trial by fire for me.  I'm not the only one who has seen the light.

You talk about newness wearing off... well tell me, just how new is WoW after the first week of a new expansion?  Just how new is your 1000 run through the same instances?  Your problem is you see WoW as new when it is an 8 year old game.   You accept it's flaws because you've been in bed with the ugly step daughter for so long that you now think it's Pamela Anderson.  Just who is the one running around with the blinders on?

Go back to WoW.  Go back now.  Sit in the city and do a /dance for a few hours while you wait for someone to log on that actually wants to do something besides stand around in the city.  I know it's so entertaining over there.  So much so that you had to try another game to *pass the time away* until MoP comes out.  Clearly WoW is utterly boring unless there is new content.  Well tell me, how is WoW passing the trial by fire?  It isn't.  If your idea of success is running back to a game that you already know isn't all that anymore, then perhaps the issue is with you, not with the game developers or other games.

WoW is a dead horse... keep beating if you like, but I can assure you, it's not going to magically become WoW of old ever again.  It is what it is.  You keep leaving it.  You keep going back.  Nothing has changed.  Just who is the trained dog here?

But WOW has more subscribers than any MMORPG and more players than Guild Wars 2, by a large margin.  So, your argument is useless.  

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Could we eventually have all the "doom and gloom" posts unified into a single thread? Would be nice for the sake of forum readability...
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219
    Oh glories MoP, please take these players away so that I no longer need to wait in queue or overflow.
    Originally posted by lightblade
    Oh glories MoP, please take these players away so that I no longer need to wait in queue or overflow.

Launch Fever.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86

But WOW has more subscribers than any MMORPG and more players than Guild Wars 2, by a large margin.  So, your argument is useless.  

The only reason that WoW has more subscribers is because people see it as the only option when it comes to an MMO, honestly, People like you (Not attacking you directly) see it as the be all, end all mmos. The only option if you want a true MMO. If YOU change your thinking and learn to look outside the box, you'll see just how bad WoW really is.

Originally posted by lightblade

Launch Fever.

Of course MoP will have launch fever...silly...

^_____________________________________________________^

Originally posted by Christooo

The only reason that WoW has more subscribers is because people see it as the only option when it comes to an MMO, honestly, People like you (Not attacking you directly) see it as the be all, end all mmos. The only option if you want a true MMO. If YOU change your thinking and learn to look outside the box, you'll see just how bad WoW really is.

I don't understand how this is possible if so many people play WoW.