Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Tera PVP worth subbing for?

2»

Comments

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Can i get an update? Hows the battlegrounds? Do you still have to PvE to get advance glyphs?

Thanks

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Originally posted by Ceromus

Can i get an update? Hows the battlegrounds? Do you still have to PvE to get advance glyphs?

Thanks

Love battleground (there's just one, so I use the singular for the sake of accuracy).

Advanced glyphs: I think you can buy tokens off AH (I have no advanced glyphs and I'm ok) - guildie did that.

As for the "worth subbing for": if you just do battleground and nothing else.. well, personal choice, but to be blunt money/value would say no.

If you happy to support a dev that marked an historical change of MMO combat (that now Neverwinter is copying, that Blade N Soul took inspiration from - would be fun to see BHS sue NCsoft for copying action combat haha) and you don't miss those 50cents/day (or less, depending on your sub plan).. then yes, I'm on a 3months billing cycle that is about to kick-in tomorrow.

Oh, last but not least.. there's chronoscrolls. With a ridiculous effort of couple hours farming A MONTH, you play for free - a no brainer, really.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Even though I objected the battleground because of the bad effects on OW PVP it still can be entertaining as long as it's not first crashing nonstop and then gets taken down because the complaints get out of control with some idiots spamming hateful sometimes racist crap for hours.

(Tera Europe)

LFG!
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Not to sound like a fanboy...

But why dont you try GW2? I play it mainly for the PvP. I normally hate PvE, but its actually quite fun in GW2.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Not to sound like a fanboy...

But why dont you try GW2? I play it mainly for the PvP. I normally hate PvE, but its actually quite fun in GW2.

If somebody wants to do that, I suggest doing it without testing Tera first. I was beta testing GW2 and the ancient auto target combat system felt slow, dull, boring. The cheap graphics weren't my thing either. I guess Tera even though it has made the mistake to become too themeparkish for its small staff thus suffers content wise, it was too good in the combat/graphics department and affects my view on other titles in the same genre badly (:

So yes, GW2 got some interessting idea, but no, I don't think that game is in any way comparable with Tera. If you like dynamic action rich combat that's beyond the usual tabtargetting + autofire you don't have much choice.

LFG!
  • trojan99trojan99 Member UncommonPosts: 51

even tho i like tera, the pvp system is just dumb. there is no purpose to pvp other than griefing and that gets old. once you make sum1 cry in global, then you kill them 7 or 8 more times bcz they cried, then youre bored.

i mean there is a pvp currency, a little fail, but its there. but there is no moment of victory to savor. runes of magic had the best ever pvp system until they made the entire game a nub friendly mess bcz carebears cried so damned much. it was open world pvp where you had a chance to make ppl drop gear they paid real money for via cash shop. since they changed the reputation system they borked pvp servers beyond help. u can still make ppl drop gear but there are so many  if, and's, but's and maybes that its not even worth going red for.

tera is a sub game, so making people hurt in the wallet wont work, but still, dropping gear u have spent time farming and enchanting would give pvp a real purpose instead of just "being there" . seriously pvp was like an afterthought.

as it stands, and as a direct answer to the OP, no, dont come to tera for pvp. there are many reasons to play this decent game, but pvp sucks.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297

Wow Trojan. When was the last time you played Tera? Battlegrounds have been out now for a couple of weeks yet you make no mention of them. They have been flooded. Neither did metion GvGs vendettas or GvG fight for Vanarchies. Nor of Deathmatches.

You also speak of the P2P as if it was a painful expenditure when, by doing 4 quests in one weekend you can cover your monthly subscription with funny money and not a dime of $. So people who have reached 60 have not had to pay a single dime had they chosen not to. It's like you haven't played Tera since before Chronoscrolls launched.

Since you mention it it might be an issue for you so seriously try this: if you are not yet 60, save your money and do not bother enchanting anything as you level. You'll outgrow it in a couple of levels anyway. Stick to extractable only Armors or weapons and orange quest rewards. Sell EVERYTHING in the broker. If you need to purchase from broker don't purchase outright but do so with the "negotiate" option. By around level 40 you should be getting close to your first 1000. Start screening the broker for scroll prices. Occasionally someone goes nut and posts them for 900 gold. Once you get one you're on easy street. Past level 50 thousand of gold are made without even trying soothe months that follow can be easily scrolled.

• trojan99trojan99 Member UncommonPosts: 51

i work a lot and havnt done bg yet. but instanced pvp is never fun for me. if i want to do objective based, team pvp, there are lots of games i enjoy doing it in. FPS games for example. but in a mmo...meh

as far as money. you make a broad stroke assumption that i am having difficulty. i am not. lol i am not. i brought up money as a motivating factor for good pvp. if there is no risk/reward, then pvp doesnt really engage me.

to use a f2p game with cash shop as an example. there are games out there where you can spend over $100.00 USD buying and improving a single piece of gear. now if you put on your shiny new chest piece and walk out into the world and someone pwns ur face off and you lose that 100.00 piece of gear...now that is something that interests me.

dont fluff me with pvp points/faction points, reputation, or redeemable pvp currency. that is useless to me because no other player suffered for me to gain. frankly all u gotta do is show up and collect the points.. i am speaking in general here using the pvp rewards from many games to illustrate a point. that none of it matters. wtf do i need a pvp title for? nothing. ooo i unlocked an achievement. pfft suk it.

now tera, being a sub based game...( and im repeating myself from my last post bcz apparently you missed the point ) means that there is no risk/reward. you pay your sub one way or another, and you play your game. if you get ganked, blah, rez and go back at it. boring. i play on pvp servers and really unless sum1 is running around aggroing mobs or doing sumthing i find nubbish, or i had a bad day at work, i dont bother flagging pvp.

none of that means tera is a bad game. its the best of the worst at the moment. i have fun with it and ill continue playing. but the op wanted to know if tera pvp is worth paying for the game. the answer is no. that is my opinion.

Oh, I get it - what you want is PvP player looting but not depennt on funny money, that's for pansies, but make the loser pay in cold hard cash for his loss to make the batte stakes higher?  Is that is?

If it is it's kinda hardcore, if not downright pathologically insane. Only place I heard of something close to that is EVE.  I'm sure there's a crowd for it but I can't imagine it to be too big.  

Eh, I just misinterpreted you and tried to give some helpful hints based  on that.  But nope, if player looting whether funny money or RL $ is what makes your day the tera's not for you.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Geschaefer

I love PVP. Popbable the only reason why i play MMO's and level sharacters.

Question is: Is teras PVP god enough to buy the game and subb?

Im quite tired of buying games who claim to have new and amazing PVP; then they announce that its not ready at launch,, 

Any feedback ?

The only thing superior about Tera is its animation.  But sadly even that failed to make PVP interesting for me. 

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Im quite tired of buying games who claim to have new and amazing PVP; then they announce that its not ready at launch,, 

Any feedback ?

I rank #2 on our server right now in battlegrounds, so this is coming from someone who's done more than most.

Pros: 1v1 pvp is really fun when you're going up against most classes. It's extremely skill based (I have all the new pvp gear and I still sometimes go down to people 1on1). It does give you a rush. The battles force you to strategically use your abilities and cd's, not just run in and POP POP POP. There are plenty of comebacks in BG making most people fight till the last second.

Cons: Currently the BG system is f'd up: The rankings for battlegrounds are entirely based on wins and losses, NOTHING ELSE. Also, there is currently no ranking penalty for people who leave games midway. So now that this info is known there are tons of drop outs mid game if you're on the losing team. Priests and Mystics are impossible to solo 1v1. They recently gave some classes a pvp dmg reduction buff, and those 2 classes are just seriously unsoloable now.

Also a pro, but not in PVP sense: Tera is basically B2P. People sell chornoscrolls (30 day game time use items) for very very cheap. If you get to lvl 60 you'd be able to afford at least 2-3 of these just with gold you've earned on your way. At 60 it takes maybe 3-4 hours of farming gold (gold not items) to earn enough cash to buy one.

• StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25

I am a PvPer and I just unsubscribed from Tera.

The reason I unsubscribed is the community is intolerable. I am not talking about chat. I sat there doing the whole retarded nexus grind to obtain my PvP gear. I got my PvP gear enchanted, I did the stupid grinding to get my Zyrk items. Then I go to do even more PvE to get my advance glyphs but guess what?

BOOTED
    BOOTED
    BOOTED
    BOOTED

I haven't even touched a fucking mob in Temple of Temerity thats how quick they are to boot someone that doesn't have t13 PvE items.

One of the problems with Tera too was how elitist,snobby, and somewhat callous the community is. Ontop of those for whatever reason wanted to seek as much attention and back-rubbing social "recongnization" from a video-game as possible. Besides the horrendous amount of trolls that were running about during February of the Game's Launch. Combine that with people's real-life drama dragged into the game and it's more poison to the kettle that's been allowed and fueled as a poor game environment by En-Masse Entertainment.

The game has been more focused on social pressures than those who wanted to play a game to enjoy it fully.

It's one of the reasons why others have left the game long time ago too. No one wants to stick on a game for long if they feel they are paying a game to be nagged or harrassed or frustrated for stupid things.

Combine that with a company that heavily moderators their forums for anything exposing the problems with Tera(yet surprisingly never bans the people who frequently go out their ways to insult others on the forums, and those who think they have a right to harass players who chosed to play an elin because the character got censored by publishers. I've literally seen players being labeled as "Trash"for choosing to play a race in a product they purchased and EME did nothing about it but sit quietly and allowed it while making sure those elin players were severly censored in both game-play and forums)

The company also tends to ignore it's players over a 6-month span except with selective "Feedback" (in other words those who wanted to turn Tera into the next Blizzard, or how Tera should be like Swtor or Rift. Sadly the same could be said for Tera Publisher as Blizzard was their competition.). Then marketing blunders. Made MMO-Fo ads that served more mock people from their own games and bully them into playing Tera with a bald-headed guy beating up wizards (lol). Some amature handlings and poor decision makings that left some people angry at the company because what En Masse said was perceived as "sterotype-labelings" if you lived outside the U.S. for the reason not to play the game.

You get a game that will gradually kill itself off from it's own internal bleeding.

You seem upset.  May I suggest some warm cinnamon-milk?
  • omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by GTwander

BOOTED
    BOOTED
    BOOTED
    BOOTED

Sadly, all games are ending up like that. WoW's gearscore started it, and now no other game can escape it.

It's like you have to have claimed every single piece of epic gear from the very instance you're doing - to GET said epic gear - before anyone even lets you run it with them.

in wow people can gear up from 0 to heroes in 20 runs or so, in TERA if gears are enchanted the difference it creates is immense. that's how terrible the game design is.

TERA has many good thing going for it, but not enough and some features are too little too late.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by eHug

So yes, GW2 got some interessting idea, but no, I don't think that game is in any way comparable with Tera. If you like dynamic action rich combat that's beyond the usual tabtargetting + autofire you don't have much choice.

If by "some interesting ideas" you mean "vastly superior pvp" i agree.

Sorry but i'll take a skill based, no pve to pvp grind, no trinity game over a gearbased , pve grind to pvp, trinity (hello pvp healers), reflect dmg game anyday.

Not much of a choice for a pvper but i guess everyone has different preferences...

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I got a question, i heared you cannot move while casting stuff, is that true ?

Does your character has to stand, to be able to cast skills and abilities ?

Or can i jump arround my opponent while firing the pest over him ?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Citalkay

No.

This. Tera is a wonderful game. Pretty, alot of depth. Fantastic.

PvP? Not so much.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by rawfox

I got a question, i heared you cannot move while casting stuff, is that true ?

Does your character has to stand, to be able to cast skills and abilities ?

Or can i jump arround my opponent while firing the pest over him ?

It has an animation lock. You can't kite and fight.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Any feedback ?

The games pvp was fun, but 99% of it takes place one foot outside of safezones where people can just run back and forth so they don't die...I left simply because of that. 

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

People tend to look at it as a sum value: is the box+sub (theres no box anymore its just sub on this one right?) worth it?

Well, to play a game on a level play field with everyone else, to have access to the whole game, to know your never going to be gouged $60 for powerups that are needed or perhaps the need to get into a wallet war to compete...to me yeah thats worth it.

If your planning to play any p2p for a few days a month...then no, go play a free game and deal with the inevitable fact that your eventually going to come to the point where youll need to spend a lot of money to continue, or farm for in-human amounts of time to do it free.  Every free game reaches this point.

To me knowing that if i ever do reach endgame, or do decide to play for an extended period of time, that ill never be at a disadvantage or have to make a choice on larger purchases to continue playing, i know that ill be paying just $15 no more, no less.

This game has great combat, fantastic combat.  The world is beautiful.  But just about everything else seems underdeveloped.  Its hard to tell with korean games on what path they will take.  Its no secret that koreans like f2p more, its no secret that westerners like different types of mechanics and gameplay than koreans.  So its going to be hard to tell if they are going to cater to what westerners want or focus on korea.  

Im not sure if the games doing better here than in korea either, that might be an indication on what happens.

Basically the game needs a bunch of themepark rides...yesterday..to make use of what it does really well, and thats fun combat.

If you like the combat, and not all will, and you like farming and quest running while looking at beautiful graphics...youll like the game.  If you want complex pvp and endgame mechanics, and dont care about anything else, youll get bored fast.

Oh how i think what this game COULD have been with a sandbox and full loot world...a complex crafting system diverse weapons...and a guild vs guild conflct mechanic with seiges....its just...not fair to have so many sandboxes with shit combat and this game sitting here rotting with such a fantastic combat system locked into an underdeveloped themepark world....sigh..

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Simply put... no.

TERA class balance is bad, the skills system doesn't work for PVP, the actual PVP systems are embryonic and/or non-functional, and the game is just not built for PVP.

Play GW2 for PVP, it has the best MMO pvp by a mile.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Simply put... no.TERA class balance is bad, the skills system doesn't work for PVP, the actual PVP systems are embryonic and/or non-functional, and the game is just not built for PVP.Play GW2 for PVP, it has the best MMO pvp by a mile.

Can you gank anyone you want anywhere outside of safezone in GW2?
    Originally posted by Evgireon
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Simply put... no.

TERA class balance is bad, the skills system doesn't work for PVP, the actual PVP systems are embryonic and/or non-functional, and the game is just not built for PVP.

Play GW2 for PVP, it has the best MMO pvp by a mile.

Can you gank anyone you want anywhere outside of safezone in GW2?

GW2 is more for the carebear faction, it only got consentual PVP. Not to mention it got an extremely dull fighting system that makes most ppl that tried Tera yawn.

LFG!
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

PvP is probably a strong point of the game outside the obvious combat system.

If you can deal with all the other bogus parts of Tera for the combat system, I'd say yes. So far, Tera has the best combat system in an MMo I've ever played.