Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Prophecy: Ceasing Operations in September

2»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I wonder if the spin-of, Nexus Conflict, will be affected.
  • MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Meaningless PvP and nothing else to do. Surprise. This could have been good, but nooo.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by mrcalhou
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Another F2P game takes a nose dive...

Seems the model is showing more and more cracks as it matures.

It has nothing to do with the f2p model. This game just wasn't all that good. This game wouldn't have fared any better if it was using a p2p model.

oh right... but when a bad sub game fails the whole industry and it's mouthpieces say 'it should have been F2P!!' The sub was the problem!!'

But it isn't true the other way around?

I do actually agree though. A bad game is a bad game no matter what the rev model.

So called 'F2P' is a false messiah sold to us by a greedy profiteering industry.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

After one of their initial PR surges (spring summer last year?), I went off looking to try the beta, only to find out that a beta wasn't out, and the only one coming soon wasn't in my region anyways.  So after waiting a couple months, I completely forgot about this game and went off to do other things.

I guess it was just another game with a premature money shot?  Perhaps in the future, if a dev has something to make headlines they should wait until the beta is out, so it's not forgotten about & buried.  /shrug

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Psychow
    GW2 must have killed them.

I hope you were being sarcastic...these two games are so world apart i don't even know where  you made the connection.

Bite Me

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mrcalhou

Another F2P game takes a nose dive...

Seems the model is showing more and more cracks as it matures.

It has nothing to do with the f2p model. This game just wasn't all that good. This game wouldn't have fared any better if it was using a p2p model.

oh right... but when a bad sub game fails the whole industry and it's mouthpieces say 'it should have been F2P!!' The sub was the problem!!'

But it isn't true the other way around?

Can you link to threads where "the whole industry and it's mouthpieces" made such a claim?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• vieplis666vieplis666 Member Posts: 33
    Was good game but there was no updates etc, questing was so difficult cant find what to do in some quests, so not playing till game not become alive.
  • TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

I tried it, and it wasn't well thought out.  I love space combat pvp, and some lame-o on this site said Black Prophecy was the best thing for space pvp since sliced bread.  The controls were counterintuitive, and the graphics...  Well, I play EVE, almost as much for the visuals as the PVP.

CCP needs to take the Idea and integrate it into EVE.  There are plenty of carriers in the game who need fighter/fighter bomber pilots, and it could be executed in a manner similar to dust-514.  Most of it would be faction warfare as far as missions go, but that would tie into storyline pretty well.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Psychow
    GW2 must have killed them.

Nothing to do with GW2 at all.  They just had a bad design.  Nothing to keep people playing.  You have to keep gamers interests up to keep them playing, there was no substance behind this game to do that.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Always sad when a MMO has to bite the dust. I liked alot with BP. Liked that you could control the ship etc. BP and EVE should have made a baby. That would have been THE perfect MMO for me.
  • nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

FOCUS on NEOCRON !

THE BEST F*CKING NEWS OF THE WORLD !

OMG OMG OMG THE MMO ARTEFACT !

sorry for caps but at this time it makes sense :P

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The game was just missing somthing tell you the truth...

I have also tested their newer game conflict and sadly that feels more like an eve clone combat wise :(

I think they should have concentrated development time on BP instead of this new one.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Shame. It was a great idea. I wish it had been more like Eve though.

But these days, unless you've got big publishers, no one mentions you on the websites, and so the games don't get a chance to thrive... This game was better than most of the driven that gets released by AAA companies.

Even if it was say 50% better than Eve,do you think Eve players would drop Eve and play it?

This is the problem in this industry and why devs should not copy other games.

Timing is also a huge component,either be first with your gimmick or find a nice long boredom spot and catch all those bored gamers that will buy anything at that point.

All thes job losses are painful to see, i still remember all those poor people at Cheyenne Mountain that worked a long time for free until giving up then we had the 38 studio guys working some time for free as well :(.

I think it is easier to be a President,benefits and salary for life,void of any illegal wrong doings,the best lawyers,lots of titles to point fingers at until finally we lose track at why the fingers were pointed.

I still have screenshots of the alpha/beta of Stargate where users of ATI cards had graphics glitches that were never fixed.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Thats too damn bad.  It looked like a fun game. I hope the tech staff find new jobs soon, and have a better experience this time around. 
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    First City of Heroes, now this :/
  • SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Never heard of it. But as I stated on the COH, the MMO pool needs some chlorine.
  • auscultaausculta Member Posts: 8
    It was an OK game, but the story-based content ran out quickly. Trolling people in PVP was hella fun.... But got old after awhile.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I played Black Prophecy early on. It had a ton of bugs. I put it away until they  patched it and it played well enough for me to start leveling.

I just didn't connect with the game. I should have, I really liked freelancer, but it was way too instanced for me.

At some point a game will get it right. EVE with dogfighting.

• jackocompjackocomp Member UncommonPosts: 50

It isn't a surprise this is happening & I will be very interested to find out how the GAMIGO Company is going to continue to run the game. Well what looks to be a new version of the game.

http://nexusconflict.gamigo.com/en/

Is it a case of the News or Announcement From GAMIGO not coming through yet? OR have GAMIGO teamed up with someone to take on the development of BP? It wouldn't be the first time a Hosting company has expanded into Development & they many well be able to make it work.

It does however seem strange if the developer of the game has gone bust that a CB of the game is about to open.

I think the restrictions the game had like players really needing to have low pings, a lot of lag, lack of content, regional restrictions were just to much for the market to accept.

I think we will see this sort of thing start happening more & more frequently before it gets any better as people are just not willing to pour bundles of cash into MMO's any more as the risks are just way to high.

CCP the developers & Hosts of the EVE Online & DUST514 franchises have come very close to having the same sort of situation recently also, & may end up in the same boat still if DUST514 doesn't do as well as they are hoping. Time will tell & as they have as good as stopped developing the Vampire MMO they were developing I think it won't be long.

• ZebraFinchZebraFinch Member Posts: 27

Such a shame, it had the 1 thing that was missing from EVE, actual control over the ships ...

Sadly it's never gonna happen in EVE, the few hardcore fundamentalists prevent EVE from becoming a truely amazing game that could please all sorts of players ..

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by ZebraFinch

Such a shame, it had the 1 thing that was missing from EVE, actual control over the ships ...

Sadly it's never gonna happen in EVE, the few hardcore fundamentalists prevent EVE from becoming a truely amazing game that could please all sorts of players ..

It would not please all sorts of players because it would not please many of current EVE players.  

There is no unversal system that "will please all sorts of players".   People like diffrent things.

I will not even start about what would mean twitch combat in massive EVE battles apart of that it would totally not work.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by ZebraFinch

It would not please all sorts of players because it would not please many of current EVE players.  

There is no unversal system that "will please all sorts of players".   People like diffrent things.

I will not even start about what would mean twitch combat in massive EVE battles apart of that it would totally not work.

Even with EVE's super cluster hardware, they have problems with major fleet battles.  The commercial technology just doesn't exist for such things right now.  I'm always amazed that things work as well as they do. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."